Anyone use the Mechanoids in their games?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Anyone use the Mechanoids in their games?

Unread post by cyberdon »

....?
Zamion138
Hero

Re: Anyone use the Mechanoids in their games?

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Nope.
As a meta plot its hard to intertwine with others.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Yes.

They were never a popular villain, though, for some reason.
Too deadly and alien, I guess.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

As an isolated plot device they're useful, but only so long as encounters are limited.

The Mechanoids are simply too overwhelmingly numerous to place in any setting except possibly Phase World/The Three Galaxies.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Yes, PC (unknownly joined ARCHIE 3 rangs) to stop the Mechanoid invasion.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Yes. They're a fun villain to introduce.
ImageImage
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Yes, I ran that little mini-campaign years ago.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

One of my pbp players is up against a small band of Mechanoids who came to earth early (rifted like Sundance). There are only ten of them so they are trying to make a manufacturing facility to reproduce outside of Houstown but they can't help but kill everyone when they get a component. It's sort of a murder mystery but it'll give her an edge in dealing with them when ARCHIE rifts them in by accident in a couple years (currently playing 100 PA)
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I created the ultimate munchkin character a greater norse giant reaver assassin with the yggdrasil gift of knowledge. had an autododge, supernatural strength 70 something, over 18000mdc(yes thats 3 zeroes) and temporal magic up at a 5th level of power. Didn't stand a chance against these things. bio reg/d4x100 per minute, impervious fire and heat all types, crazy combat bonuses, change size 6-40 feet, and was promptly curb stomped! you can't beat these things, there is just to many.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The first Rifts campaign I ever played in was against these guys, as per SB2. It was a fun time. All the games I've been in since have been set a year or more later than when this plot occurs so they've already been taken care of and no longer factor into things.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Yeppers...in fact I have the Mechies as the thing that came out of the Xerxes Beta annomaly (Phaseworld; 3-Galaxies).
I've also "upgraded" some of them with new toys.
Due to pathelogical paranoia of modifications and ( :roll: )conversions by the mangement, I can't say HOW I've given these guys a boost. :demon:

Trust me though, they'd give the Infernals & Hades-spawn a run for their money in the minion war.

Mechie Overlord; "COME BACK BIPED PARANORMAL HELL-SPAWN. WE WISH TO INFLICT SCIENCE UPON YOU...WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE." :demon: :nuke: :demon: :nuke:
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Wasps, Runts, and Thin Men are awesome to use. The rest...eh.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I ran a game where the Mechanoids were a major problem for Rifts Earth...it lasted many sessions, the players didn't want to get involved, instead they were greedy jerkfaces robbing refugees (not the ones post battle...there are never any of those...these are people who fled preemptively), stealing tech from abandoned areas and generally being opportunists. They would even take in folks who were lost (rob/rape/kill). Even when i tried to involve them through this sort of hooliganry, they still refused, eventually fled toward the Rockies, but where killed by the Coalition in a quite honestly random enounter.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

DhAkael wrote:Yeppers...in fact I have the Mechies as the thing that came out of the Xerxes Beta annomaly (Phaseworld; 3-Galaxies).
I've also "upgraded" some of them with new toys.
Due to pathelogical paranoia of modifications and ( :roll: )conversions by the mangement, I can't say HOW I've given these guys a boost. :demon:

Trust me though, they'd give the Infernals & Hades-spawn a run for their money in the minion war.

Mechie Overlord; "COME BACK BIPED PARANORMAL HELL-SPAWN. WE WISH TO INFLICT SCIENCE UPON YOU...WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE." :demon: :nuke: :demon: :nuke:

Awesome :ok: and the last part :lol:
ImageImage
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Lost Seraph wrote:Sweet! Phoenix Force Alpha is going there immediately! Warp factor 38 to the anomaly, stat!

A powerful norse giant hangs his head solemnly "Good luck brave adventurers my the might of ALL the gods be with you" and promptly orders several more shots to stop the visible shaking at the mere mention of mechanoids.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Lost Seraph wrote:Sweet! Phoenix Force Alpha is going there immediately! Warp factor 38 to the anomaly, stat!
Well, we have other things to tackle first Seraph, but yeah that would be fun!
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

On the note of the Mechanoids and their Sourcebook 2 introduction, when using them (or not) does anyone introduce ARCHIE and Hagan, and if so, (excuse the phrase) but how far down the rabbit hole do you go?
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Eashamahel wrote:On the note of the Mechanoids and their Sourcebook 2 introduction, when using them (or not) does anyone introduce ARCHIE and Hagan, and if so, (excuse the phrase) but how far down the rabbit hole do you go?

"OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!"
That explain how far? :D :demon: :ok: :D :demon: :ok:

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I think the Mechanoids are better used as a recurring/random encounter than the big plot from the Sourcebook. They make for a decent side, one-shot adventure.

The PC's are passing through town in-search of (whatever--main adventure stuff)... the locals report seeing a half-dozen strange robots nearby that kill everyone they see. The PC's investigate. Tracking / counter-tracking / mild destruction ensues. The GM background would be it was either a scouting group from the Archie/Mechanoid force, or it was just a small group who popped out of a Rift. Then the PC's can go back to the main adventure.... until it happens again. :)

I also had an idea for the PC's to find a Runt robot who's passed out from a ley line storm. When the PC's come near it 'wakes up' with no memory and assumes the PC's are its master, and it then faithfully serves them. Fun ensues when local townsfolk react horribly to the little guy, or when the PC's learn about the little guy's makers.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I use the Mechanoids....along with The Manhunters and I use the rest of the Macross franchise (with some modifications) to create a large and entwined Robotech timeline..... beginning with the Mechanoids and going full circle back to the Mechanoids.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Levi
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Yes, I loved using the Mechanoids. One of the first campaigns I ran revolved around them. I basically started the players with the original Archie adventure and near the end had it merge with the Mechanoids arrival. The players were hunting for Hegan in the Archie complex and were there when the Mechanoids arrived. The fought a few on their way out and ended up team up with Hegan to escape. He promptly roped them into helping him get rid of them.

After several sessions of hit and run tactics and fleeing under fire from larger encounters the group ran across remote recon CS command. They showed him the threat and he managed to bring in a CS battalion to destroy the main Mechanoid force. The player cooridinated with that attack and helped Archie and Hagen sweep the complex.

The players then spent some time hunting down smell splinter groups of Mechanoids. I even brought the story arch back a year later when the players discovered an splinter group they had missed. This group had built a small factory for Thinmen and was days from being able to clone wasps and runners. This group of Mechanoids was led by a brain and could have given the Mechanoids a foothold on Earth.

This was a long running and fun game. I have always loved the Mechanoids.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.

Return to “Rifts®”