World Tour Advice?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rockwolf66
Hero

World Tour Advice?

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I was wondering if Anyone could give me some advice for running a Rifts game Set in PA:102 right before the Announcement about the varous world ending threats. The first being the Mechanoids.

So far we have an Asgardian Elf and a Demigoddess. the Campain itself is suposed to be a world exploration game starting in Tolkeen.

Anyone have any sugestion about the order I should run through the books?
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Talavar
Hero

Re: World Tour Advice?

Unread post by Talavar »

Depending on your book resources and how much you enjoy/have time to make a lot up yourself, it can be easier to stick to areas that are more fleshed-out. Europe is pretty well covered these days, with England, 2 NGR books and 2 Russia books, next would probably come Atlantis and South America, each with 2 books. China has 2 books, but is such an isolated setting it's difficult to work into a 'world tour' style game.

Africa, despite its world book, doesn't have a lot of specific location-based info; India is almost entirely undescribed (only a couple of mentions in Conversion book 2, as far as I remember); the Middle East is even less described. Even the well-described places have major blind/empty spots though - Portugal, Spain & Italy in Europe, Russia east of the Ural mountains, much of the North American west coast, etc.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Well to date the only Worldbook I don't have yet is Lemura so I'm great there.

Since I am starting in Tolkeen in 102PA I would start by heading East so that my players can fight the mechanoids. Then down through Dinosaur swamp and across the Caribean to South America and across to Africa to fight the four horsemen. Then up to England to see the Millenium trees and then to Germany. From there I have no clue where to go.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Rockwolf66 wrote:Well to date the only Worldbook I don't have yet is Lemura so I'm great there.

Since I am starting in Tolkeen in 102PA I would start by heading East so that my players can fight the mechanoids. Then down through Dinosaur swamp and across the Caribean to South America and across to Africa to fight the four horsemen. Then up to England to see the Millenium trees and then to Germany. From there I have no clue where to go.

From Germany you could go and see what the Russians are up to, followed by China, then Japan, then Australia, then South America.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Rockwolf66 wrote:Well to date the only Worldbook I don't have yet is Lemura so I'm great there.

From Germany you could go and see what the Russians are up to, followed by China, then Japan, then Australia, then South America.

Then when returning to North America, up to Tolkeen in time for the war.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

I would go from Tolkeen to South America... make it like Lazlo's exploration expedition. There are at least 15 levels worth of things to do in SA alone, but assuming they just motor through, they can end up going to Atlantis, maybe after encountering some of its minions in SA, from there, have them rift to England, which they can use as a launching point for Europe, as they travel east, they can go down to Palestine and Egypt and encounter Rama-Set. This will launch them into the African adventure and the 4 horsemen if you want. After that, they are probably 40th level and it's been 10 years, but if not, they can head up to Russia and then overland to China, Korea and Japan, then back to North America, possibly by way of Wormwood.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

I like to go in undefined places and homebrew the hell out of them, but that's just me. I even have a silly method of making up random places.

I list the main cities in the pre-Rifts version of a country (damn, any basic map you find on Google will serve), go to page 17 of Rifts corebook, where the XP tables are and roll 1d12, result tells me what OCC or RCC is the most striking element in local culture &/or politics.

If the table works for 2 OCCs or RCCs (let's say, CS Grunt/Dog Pack or Mind Melter/Ley Line Walker) use 1d4 or head & tails to pick one, choose your favorite one or both (a sort of alliance rivalry or what you will). For a table with 3 OCCs or RCCs, like Borg/Head Hunter/Glitter Boy or Burster/Psi-Stalker/Mystic use a 1d6 instead of a 1d4 or coin.

It's simple and silly but can be very fun depending on how you toy and tinker with such bare bones and the chosen location. :D

Return to “Rifts®”