Vampire Planet

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zamion138
Hero

Re: Vampire Planet

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Id imagine there are alot of vampire planets spread about, other wise no one would fear them so much, i thnk a two vampire intelligence planet would be best cuaght in a long stale mate battle. The humans on both sides used as cannon fodder and food ofcourse, very broken down moral all round.
Id go human or human like.
Magic ultra rare and banned by vampire over lords, as vamps cant use it why let the cattle.

Vampire tech would be some way of keeping the humans inline, the star ships would need soil from home planet at all times.
Probaly rfid and gps tags in every one.
Very dystopian outlook, special vampire hunter squads to keep none "sanctioned" vampires from messing up the food supply.
Mandatory breeding starting at like 15ish for the ladies.

Could be alot of fun being some secondary vampires fighting the other side, or mortal pawns. Id think fighting the vampire over lords would be hard once they take full control
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

thoughts on vampire spaceships..

very careful design to prevent cross shapes.
no windows (so that sunlight cannot get into the ship), ship likely uses camera/display set ups exclusively.
can get by with reduced life support, since it only has to have enough to keep the non-vampires alive.
areas intended for vampire use only would be accessible only through passages too small for normal humans. (can only be accessed in bat or mist form). these would likely include the quarters of each vampire crewman, where he/she has their coffin and native soil.
odds are there would be slave pens for the vampire's 'food supply' as well.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

If you have a planet in perpetual darkness, and have humans as local slaves, your food supply is going to have to be something that provides the necessary nutrients and vitamins, including those normally acquired from exposure to natural sunlight, otherwise those humans are going to become anemic and short-lived very fast. As is, they're likely to be rather pallid specimens if they've been breeding for any amount of time. Thus a perpetual overcast world is more likely to be your best bet(overcast, but not RAINING), or else have some sort of advanced fungi as the local vegetation. Or maybe have the sun-loving vegetation take the form of giant trees or airborne plants that sit above the overcast absorbing sunlight, and nutrients trickle down to the lower atmosphere, much like organic matter drifts down to the ocean bottoms and feeds the scant populations of animals down there.
Still, unless the local slave-fodder has evolved radically differently(like say, giant intelligent mutant blind cave-shrimp) the vampires will have to regularly raid other worlds for fresh provender, and to add 'new blood' to their breeding stocks of local humans.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Well rember if they have the tech to make space ships they have the tech to only do farming with uv lights and such on a plantation that could support the human cattle. For game sake id make they days short on the order of maybe 8 hours or less of day light a cycle.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

You could have the planet be a habitable moon of a gas giant, almost always in the gas giant's shadow, so almost no daylight reaches it. Food supply for the humans/humanoids could be tech-based farming, or some kind of fungus.

Zamion138 wrote:Id imagine there are alot of vampire planets spread about, other wise no one would fear them so much, i thnk a two vampire intelligence planet would be best cuaght in a long stale mate battle. The humans on both sides used as cannon fodder and food ofcourse, very broken down moral all round.
Id go human or human like.
Magic ultra rare and banned by vampire over lords, as vamps cant use it why let the cattle.

Vampires can use magic. If a master vampire was a magic user they keep all of their abilities, and even secondary vampires keep a selection of any magic they had as a mortal.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Panomas wrote:Yeah-I like this idea....

Reduced life support=Increased ship speed and shields

probably not by too much. those systems would tend to be much more power intensive than life support. but you could have much longer range using the same lifesupport levels as all human ships. or you could afford to carry a much larger compliment of vampire troops than the ship size would normally allow. (especially for example, if you store the extra's staked in coffins until you need them)

Zamion138 wrote:Well rember if they have the tech to make space ships they have the tech to only do farming with uv lights and such on a plantation that could support the human cattle. For game sake id make they days short on the order of maybe 8 hours or less of day light a cycle.

unless your using really alien vegetation, UV lights won't suffice to grow plants. but since vamps aren't effected by artificial light, if you choose to go with artificial agriculture you could use sunlamps to grow crops without causing an issue for vamps. (sunlamps duplicating the spectrum of sunlight, but not the mystical quality that makes natural sunlight deadly to vamps)

personally i like the idea of vamps having taken over an earthlike planet and living as it's gods by night, and having human turncoats to enforce their will by day. go the "stargate" angle with the vamp's. perhaps the world is somewhat dry, with small seas and little rain except at high altitudes or the poles. this would explain why the vampire's took it over. little water and a culture with no Christianity to provide crosses means they could act without much hindrance.

Talavar wrote:You could have the planet be a habitable moon of a gas giant, almost always in the gas giant's shadow, so almost no daylight reaches it. Food supply for the humans/humanoids could be tech-based farming, or some kind of fungus.

given that geosynchronus orbits are unlikely with moons (it would have to be closer than the Roche limit on most worlds), always in shadow seem unlikely. but a moon of a gas giant would make for extended periods of darkness unconnected to the rotation of the planet, which could be predicted easily by anyone with advanced enough mathematics and astronomy, and which would allow vampires free reign.

the roche limit btw is the distance at which tidal forces rip apart the smaller planetary object. most gas giants have huge roche limits. jupiter for example will tear apart solid moons and similar objects objects closer than 890,700 km.. but synchronus orbit with it's equatorial belt is 159,112 km.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
robertbc73

Unread post by robertbc73 »

notafraid2die wrote:Brainstorming again. I want to create a vampire dominated planet set in the Three Galaxies (Note: I have Phaseworld, Anvil Galaxy, The Three Galaxies, and Dimensional Outbreak, however, the only ones I've read thoroughly are Phaseworld and Dimensional Outbreak, so if a vampire dominated planet already exist, please point it out). My plan is to have my PCs (both Demi-gods) crash-land/get stranded on said planet and get caught up in the intrigue. I plan on using the planetary creation rules presented in The Three Galaxies.

Here are some initial thoughts:
-The planet would be earth-like, with a native population of human(oid)s. There would be ley lines, but only a few powerful ones that intersect at the poles, with two very powerful nexus at each.
-There would be one or two vampire intelligences that rule the planet. If two, they would be at war with each other for control over the human(oid) population. If only one, then it would be Wormwood-ish in that there would be human(oid) "free" populations at war with the vampire population.
-Vampires would control (most of) the technology. I'd really like to come up with some vampire designed star ships.

What I'd need to come up with ideas for:
-What is the native population; Humans? Or some unique humanoids? Leaving it with humans would require less work on my part, perhaps the planet was colonized before the VI(s) came in and took over.
-What galaxy would be most suited for this planet, would it belong to any establish consortium/united planets (most likely not, since NO ONE gets along with vampires. Most likely they'd want to keep themselves a secret)
-Would it be a world of perpetual night? Or just shorter days?
-What about vegetation? (I envision some flesh eating/blood drinking plant life).
-What other types of races/creatures would have a presence on the planet? I imagine the Dar'orta, and others presented in Vampire Kingdoms.
-Government? Probably equivalent to Vampire Kingdoms.
-Vampire Tech! I'm kind of excited about this one. Vampire created weaponry, armor and maybe some psionic-powered(?) star ships.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Any help brainstorming this would be awesome.

I would give you some input but I run vampires differently but sounds awesome. ^^
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Vakim wrote:If the vampires are travelling any distance in their starships they are going to have to bring humans to feed on and also have human nutrients food/water as well. So the idea of reduced life support wouldn't really work. Unless they have a huge supply of frozen/stasis blood stored aboard so maybe not a moot point.

my point is that since vampires themselves do not require life support at all, you can build ships with just enough life support to support the non-vampire passengers.

heck, if not for the need to bring humans along to feed on (which likely would be set up similar to the blood-bank system used by one of the vampire kingdoms in WB1), you could drop life support almost entirely.. i mean, vamps don't breath and barely need to worry about temperature.

depending on how many humans are needed to sustainably support a given number of vampires, you can reduce life support. a human ship might need a crew of 100, while a vamp ship might need a crew of 100 vamps and 30 human 'bloodbanks'.. but the vamp ship only need life support to handle 30 people. so either it can devote the resources and energy saved from reducing the life support needs 66%.. or it can go 3x longer before lifesupport becomes an issue.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

ON Cormal ate another vamp planet, if he keeps this up he is gonna wake up prettttty grumpy
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
robertbc73

Unread post by robertbc73 »

I know. Just saying my accustomed mind set for vampires is way different than the books but I do love your idea.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

notafraid2die wrote:-The planet would be earth-like, with a native population of human(oid)s. There would be ley lines, but only a few powerful ones that intersect at the poles, with two very powerful nexus at each.
-There would be one or two vampire intelligences that rule the planet. If two, they would be at war with each other for control over the human(oid) population.

Just a few drops - take it or not.

1. The planet in question is actually a planet-sized moon, always on the dark size of its parent gas-giant.
1.1, The gas giant in question can even be a brown dwarf, warm/bright enough to support life but dark enought to be tolerable to vampires.
1.2, OR the planet's (maybe underground?) ecosystem is supported by geothermal energy,

2. How would You like the planet to relate to the 3G community?
Hidden? Or only the fact, that it is vampire-ruled is hidden?

3, Vampire starships: I guess a vampire intelligence can and does have shifters and witches, ie. "parasitic spellcasters". This gives way to TW starships. But the exact specification of starships begs for answering Question 2.
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Ooo, new idea - the planet is a rogue planet, drifting through space on its own so there's no sun to worry about at all! (Like this semi-recent discovery http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/11/14/sci-rogue-planet.html) The vampires don't need to worry about a breathable atmosphere, but the human population would have to live underground or in dome constructs of some kind.

Even if that's too unworkable, a planet with a toxic/no atmosphere at all could play to the vampires' advantage - the humans, having to live in atmosphere-controlled shelters or underground, have little chance of escape or rebellion.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

"These are outstanding suggestions, but the issue with all of these is life support. "

A moon of a gas giant... Like Yavin or Endor - plenty of life. Also, a moon of such a massive stellar object orbiting low enough will experience massice geological tidal stress, resulting in geothermic activity. See Io, in our solar system.

So, tolerable temperature for human(oids) and plenty of energy for low level organism (see deep sea hydrothermal wents).
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I'm thinking these guys better stay the heck away from the UWW. One of their space ships has a giant water cannon.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

notafraid2die wrote:
Panomas wrote:Random Question for thought:

How close could a vampire get to the rays of a star (like the sun) in mid space before getting having an unfortunate accident?

Not sure I understand what you mean, since if they are exposed to the rays at all, then they take damage. Being in a ship with no portals to allow sunlight in, they'd be safe. I'm running on the assumption that any star would emit light that would be fatal to vampires, other than black dwarves/dead stars.
Tor wrote:I'm thinking these guys better stay the heck away from the UWW. One of their space ships has a giant water cannon.

I find that hilarious, since vampires inside an opposing star ship would be completely protected from the water, no matter how big the cannon is (Unless it's used to push them around in space). But, this is an idea for one of those far off corners of the 3Gs that haven't been explored by any of the established alliances/consortium.

Vampires aren't hurt by starlight however, and stars are just distant suns - clearly some threshold must be crossed before starlight starts hurting vampires, and it's something vampires in space have to think about.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

"....no, I speak of the planet called Dimmet, as it is pronounced in Trade Four. It is a small world, just large enough to support humanoid life, and does cradle a moderate population. However there are two distinct features that one must make note.
One is the event that gives this world it's name. While the atmosphere is breathable, and often quite pleasant, the weather patterns of the planet are such that, during the sunward or day-times of the planet, it is perpetually overcast, diffusing the natural sunlight, leaving the surface in a state of perpetual twilight. The night-side of the planet does see some breaks in this cover, allowing an acceptable view of the night's sky and stars beyond.
The second feature, and most crucial, is that of the Vampire infestation.
The planet's weather so cuts back the natural sunlight filtering through the atmosphere that it allows most of the Vampire creatures to roam almost freely, without concern for exposure to the deadly, to them, effects of the planet's sun. The population, whatever remains that has not be transformed, are left to fend for themselves, as either slaves, food, or worse.
The few expeditions that have returned with news of this world speak little of the horrors there. Rumors and speculation abound that they are cannibalizing captured and crashed vessels, seeking a way to spread this infection to the Three Galaxies...
"
--an excerpt from Professor T'relth's Guide to The Strange and Unusual Cosmology of The Three Galaxies, 71st Edition Revised and Expanded.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
BookWyrm
Champion

After reading the thread, I was inspired & wanted to contribute something. That piece is an original.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
BookWyrm
Champion

Glad to. My other idea was a large enough planetary body causing a permanent solar eclipse, but that seemed a little much.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Talavar wrote:Vampires aren't hurt by starlight however, and stars are just distant suns - clearly some threshold must be crossed before starlight starts hurting vampires, and it's something vampires in space have to think about.

I think the general consensus is when you're in the nearest star's heliosphere.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

The Beast wrote:
Talavar wrote:Vampires aren't hurt by starlight however, and stars are just distant suns - clearly some threshold must be crossed before starlight starts hurting vampires, and it's something vampires in space have to think about.

Works for me!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Talavar wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Works for me!

while there should be no connection between the mystical properties of sunlight and the solar wind in setting, as a GM's shorthand that works rather well.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

I think I'd be tempted to lift more than a few ideas from the Requiem series that appeared in Heavy Metal magazine. Sure, that's really supposed to be a story set in Hell, but what else would a human call a planet over-run with vampires?
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by slappy »

I actually wrote a 200 page sourcebook on this very subject. It is a world in the Anvil Galaxy called Hellworld. The pole faces the sun so one hemisphere is in perpetual darkness while the other is forever in light. Previously only the equator was habitable but as their technology improved they built a system of satellites to disperse the temperatures evenly across the planet. The vampires saw this as an ideal world to conquer. Their plans worked well and they seized control of the entire nightside of the planet but resistance still remains. On its own this world would have had little significance, but something on this planet has the Second Stage Prometheans worried enough that they have pledged billions in aid to the last free humans on the planet.

I turned it into Palladium decades ago at this point. Obviously not a lot of interest but everyone that's read it seems to really like it. Anyone interested feel free to message me and I'll send you a copy.
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by slappy »

You'd have to see what I did. Like any vampire kingdom, they use daytime minions to ensure no place is truly safe. :)
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by slappy »

I tried to make the setting interesting. It's more than just a vampire dominated world and a few human stragglers. Here are some of the highlights:

1. The Vampire Nations: 5 vampire intelligences conquered the nightside of the planet and enslaved billions of humans. They keep the population suppressed with an army of millions of robots. A former General in the human military sold out his people to become the first master vampire. He didn't like being put out to pasture as his world move towards a more enlightened time and gave the vampire intelligences the means to create truly loyal daytime minions. I highlighted vampire and human society and show how they keep everyone (both human and vampire) in line.

2. The Holy Human Empire: These were the first survivors of the vampire conquest that fled into dayside to survive. With the help of the Prometheans they built massive domed cities on the equator to house their people. They formed the Sacred Legions to oppose the vampires and take back their planet. They are highly skilled and possessing some of the most advanced anti-vampire weaponry ever created (I'm pretty proud of a lot of the tech in this section and I'm surprised no one has thought of some of these ideas before), but they have two major factors against them. For one they are drastically outnumbered, about a hundred to one. Two, they have lived for generations in the sun and have never even seen a sun set. The entire population is naturally terrified of the dark.

3. City of Light: A magical powerhouse that has risen on Hellworld to help destroy the vampires. They possess light magic that allows them to infuse items with energy in a way even Techno-Wizardy cannot.

4. Blood Lake: This large mystical lake formed on the site of one of the greatest battles (slaughters) in the history of the planet. Many suspect it is what has the Second Stage Prometheans so frightened. The blood of the lake contains immense power. The vampires at first thought it was a gift but it turned out to be a curse. Vampires are drawn to it like flies to honey but something in the lake hunts down anything that comes near it and devours their souls (whether human or vampire essence). The lake can also mutate humans into powerful creatures capable of killing vampires barehanded.

5. Splugorth: The Splugorth have come to use the mystic blood of Blood Lake to power their Bio-Wizardry. They've used it to mutant their symbiotes and parasites into something far more dark and wicked. They release hundreds of failed experiments into the streets of the Vampire Nation to wreak havoc among their ancient foes.

6. City of the Dead: Another unexpected opponent to the vampire's plans. Their master Lord Barcola has bonded with an ancient relic that has granted him godlike control over time and space. This power has also driven him mad. Seeing thousands of possible timelines at once is more than his mind can handle. Now he seeks the end of the Megaverse and he sees that this planet holds the key. His mad kingdom of demons and killers raids the Vampire Nations routinely for slaves to fuel their dark rituals.

7. Freedom City: Founded by outcasts from the Holy Human Empire. Their dreams of freedom twisted into a curse of chaos and anarchy. The last survivors battle it out on the streets for the last scraps. All that matters is survival. 4 main gangs battle it out in lengthy sniper duals day after day. Every treasure a potential ambush, but one too valuable to simply ignore. This city is sort of an interesting microcosm existing outside of the greater affairs of the planet. They care little about the men trying to free the world from vampires, they only care about the men keeping them from their next pitiful scraps of a meal.

I always make sure to put in a good mixture of new toys, O.C.C.s, N.P.C.s, and setting details since that's what I like in a book as well. I'm pretty proud of it and tried to spread it around back in the day but it never went too far. Like I said, anyone that wants it is welcome to it. I'd attach it here if the boards worked that way.
Last edited by slappy on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by slappy »

I sent it off. Love to hear what you think.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”