Extraordinary Physical Strength vs. Superhuman Strength

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Extraordinary Physical Strength vs. Superhuman Strength

Unread post by MikeM »

First off, I played a lot of HU back in the day, but it was all revised. I never really got to play 2nd edition. So I got the twitch to run some Heroes Unlimited and started reading second edition. I was reading the section on strength when I realised that extraordinary PS and superhuman strength are both minor powers. Now obviously if you have a concept you want to stick with, that's one thing it other than that, why would anyone take extraordinary PS?
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Re: Extraordinary Physical Strength vs. Superhuman Strength

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Possible reasons:

1) As you said, you have a concept you want to stick to.

2) You have a G.M. who rigidly enforces random rolling for powers, and you were unlucky.

3) H.U. really needs a third level of powers between minor and major. Median powers? Medium, Midway, Middle powers?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

If you random roll, they might not have a choice. Still, most players want the most for their characters, so Superhuman PS is the obviously more powerful of the two, and that is what they'll generally take given a choice of strength.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

I personally never make people roll, but I do want them to have a concept and stick with it.
I just can't imagine anyone selecting extraordinary physical strength over superhuman strength. In fact, I don't even know why the extraordinary physical strength power is even listed. Should just have the one power superhuman strength.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

MikeM wrote:I personally never make people roll, but I do want them to have a concept and stick with it.
I just can't imagine anyone selecting extraordinary physical strength over superhuman strength. In fact, I don't even know why the extraordinary physical strength power is even listed. Should just have the one power superhuman strength.

Then you haven't read the responses about the issue as well as what's said in the Heroes Unlimited Books regarding the issue, namely that not everyone wants superhuman strength and are fine with Extraordinary PS. You may want all the physical strength and power possible but not everyone thinks as you do, some are fine being stronger but not massively stronger than everyone else. It's the difference between the guy who's fine with Captain America's level of strength compared to Spider-man's.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

Nightmask wrote:
MikeM wrote:I personally never make people roll, but I do want them to have a concept and stick with it.

Then you haven't read the responses about the issue as well as what's said in the Heroes Unlimited Books regarding the issue, namely that not everyone wants superhuman strength and are fine with Extraordinary PS. You may want all the physical strength and power possible but not everyone thinks as you do, some are fine being stronger but not massively stronger than everyone else. It's the difference between the guy who's fine with Captain America's level of strength compared to Spider-man's.

Well, yeah, I have read the responses. And I don't know a single person who would take extraordinary ps when they can have superhuman strength as they are both minor powers.
Nightmask
Palladin

MikeM wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Well, yeah, I have read the responses. And I don't know a single person who would take extraordinary ps when they can have superhuman strength as they are both minor powers.

I'm one of those people, so chalk yourself up a mark on that side of the ledger. I'm not one to pick a power because 'well gee I got to have the most powerful version available', and Extraordinary PS is good enough.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

Nightmask wrote:
MikeM wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

I'm one of those people, so chalk yourself up a mark on that side of the ledger. I'm not one to pick a power because 'well gee I got to have the most powerful version available', and Extraordinary PS is good enough.

That's cool. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

It also helps when writing up NPCs if they have variety and I feel, as a GM, if I am creating different characters rather than cloning the same ones over and over. There is a whole topic thread devoted to New Powers, some of which even add MORE options for differing strength levels. It breaks up the monotony and sameness/lameness.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Nightmask
Palladin

Stone Gargoyle wrote:It also helps when writing up NPCs if they have variety and I feel, as a GM, if I am creating different characters rather than cloning the same ones over and over. There is a whole topic thread devoted to New Powers, some of which even add MORE options for differing strength levels. It breaks up the monotony and sameness/lameness.

Really easy to do even in games with a wide variety of features after you've played them long enough. Variety for a long-timer in a game is an extremely valuable commodity. While some don't mind playing 'The Fighter' over and over again others definitely need the range to feel like instead of always facing Spider-Man sometimes they're facing Punisher and others Juggernaut.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmask wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:It also helps when writing up NPCs if they have variety and I feel, as a GM, if I am creating different characters rather than cloning the same ones over and over. There is a whole topic thread devoted to New Powers, some of which even add MORE options for differing strength levels. It breaks up the monotony and sameness/lameness.

Really easy to do even in games with a wide variety of features after you've played them long enough. Variety for a long-timer in a game is an extremely valuable commodity. While some don't mind playing 'The Fighter' over and over again others definitely need the range to feel like instead of always facing Spider-Man sometimes they're facing Punisher and others Juggernaut.
I just find it hard to play characters with the same stats for stuff over and over. It doesn't make sense that every speedster will run exactly the same speeds as another or fly at the same speeds. Why should they all have the same strength levels?
Nightmask
Palladin

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

I just find it hard to play characters with the same stats for stuff over and over. It doesn't make sense that every speedster will run exactly the same speeds as another or fly at the same speeds. Why should they all have the same strength levels?

Well strength at least has a wide range of possible rolls+bonuses, I agree that it's nice when other things like flight have a wider range available but only so much you can fit into a single RPG.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmask wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Well strength at least has a wide range of possible rolls+bonuses, I agree that it's nice when other things like flight have a wider range available but only so much you can fit into a single RPG.
Obviously, but I am merely pointing out the benefit of increased options as opposed to less.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I always thought having minor and major categories was a bad way of doing it.

Each character should get some number of points that they can spend however they want.

Each power should list what it can do based on the number of points invested in it.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

flatline wrote:I always thought having minor and major categories was a bad way of doing it.

Each character should get some number of points that they can spend however they want.

Each power should list what it can do based on the number of points invested in it.

--flatline
I never did like systems like that...
All too often the "costs" for powers got prohibitive quickly or the power levels reached the ridiculous too quickly or both.
"stepped" powers is a nice idea in theory however.
Its just that all too often the execution is lacking.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
flatline
Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:
flatline wrote:I always thought having minor and major categories was a bad way of doing it.

--flatline
All too often the "costs" for powers got prohibitive quickly or the power levels reached the ridiculous too quickly or both.

If power increases linearly (think Champions or GURPS), you eventually stop investing points because of diminishing returns. If power increases exponentially (think White Wolf's system 15 years ago (I have no idea if they still use the d10 system)), then you specialize until you've maxed out the power and then you start developing another power.

Both approaches have their place depending on the type of game you want.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I don't really care for point systems personally. But that's just me.
flatline
Knight

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I don't really care for point systems personally. But that's just me.

It's not an all or nothing kind of thing.

Certain aspects of the Palladium system are already points system. Choosing skills is essentially a points system where your character class tells you how many skills you can choose. Or how many spells you can choose. Or how many psionics you can choose. Or how much you can spend on bionics. Or spending Bio-E points on host armor/mounts. Etc.

Why not super powers?

--flatline

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

flatline wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I don't really care for point systems personally. But that's just me.

It's not an all or nothing kind of thing.

Certain aspects of the Palladium system are already points system. Choosing skills is essentially a points system where your character class tells you how many skills you can choose. Or how many spells you can choose. Or how many psionics you can choose. Or how much you can spend on bionics. Or spending Bio-E points on host armor/mounts. Etc.

Why not super powers?

--flatline

I already avoid psionics due to it being so number intensive. I would prefer a lot of the calculating were done by the publisher so the power was presented already made and calculated to make it simpler to play.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

flatline wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

--flatline

If power increases linearly (think Champions or GURPS), you eventually stop investing points because of diminishing returns. If power increases exponentially (think White Wolf's system 15 years ago (I have no idea if they still use the d10 system)), then you specialize until you've maxed out the power and then you start developing another power.

--flatline

and neither approach suits my play style.

The only decent variant of the concept was Marvels FASERIP system and it had its own issues. (especially after the introduction of the Ultimate Powers book).
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
flatline
Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:
flatline wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

--flatline

--flatline

and neither approach suits my play style.

The only decent variant of the concept was Marvels FASERIP system and it had its own issues. (especially after the introduction of the Ultimate Powers book).

Take a look at FUDGE. It's kind of points based, but instead of buying things individually, you buy packages similar to how splicers has skill packages, except that the skills aren't specified, just the number of skills and the skill level for each (one package might have 2 mediocre skills, 2 good skills, and 1 great skill, another package might simply have 4 good skills, etc).

--flatline

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

flatline wrote:Take a look at FUDGE. It's kind of points based, but instead of buying things individually, you buy packages similar to how splicers has skill packages, except that the skills aren't specified, just the number of skills and the skill level for each (one package might have 2 mediocre skills, 2 good skills, and 1 great skill, another package might simply have 4 good skills, etc).
--flatline
Yeah, not a fan of FUDGE or FATE (I have not seen any redeeming qualities for either).
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Senator Cybus wrote:3) H.U. really needs a third level of powers between minor and major. Median powers? Medium, Midway, Middle powers?

Looking at the vowels, Major=A, Minor=I, E is the vowel in between so Median/Medium/Meager or something along those lines sounds perfect.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Dobergirl
Wanderer

Unread post by Dobergirl »

Nightmask wrote:

Actually Superhuman is Captain America's levels of strength, Spider-man is Supernatural strength. (he can lift 10 tons on straight arms, people keep forgetting that!) Extraordinary strength is Batman, Punisher, Nightwing and such levels of strength. Probably not called so in their perspective canons but the heroes in Heroes Unlimited almost never reach the levels of the mainstream heroes, unless rolling them as either Immortals or Mega-Hero.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

There really is no right answer here... Heroes Unlimited was originally designed as a random roll system, which is why some powers within the same category are simply better than others. Considering this, the balance between powers is not precise. Wingless Flight is faster than Winged Flight, Energy Expulsion: Energy does less damage than Energy Expulsion: Light etc.

You can let people pick powers (and I always do), and the two categories keep things relatively in check, but it will never be perfect, and some players will always pick the more powerful ability. It's really no big deal, since they are building their concept by picking powers, and if they want the superhuman level of strength, who cares? The strength levels in HU are really low compared to most supers games anyway.

Personally, I was recently building a mystically powered martial artist type character, and I choose Extraordinary Strength. I wanted a guy who hit super hard, but could not lift a truck over his head. But if someone else wanted that level of strength, and chose Superhuman, so be it.

While I can see the logic of adding a third category of powers (since the Palladium System now categories things as Extraordinary, Superhuman, and Supernatural), I don't know if it would really be worth adding the extra complexity to chargen. I kind of like the "1 Major 2 Minor" distribution of powers.
Nightmask
Palladin

Dobergirl wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Actually Superhuman is Captain America's levels of strength, Spider-man is Supernatural strength. (he can lift 10 tons on straight arms, people keep forgetting that!) Extraordinary strength is Batman, Punisher, Nightwing and such levels of strength. Probably not called so in their perspective canons but the heroes in Heroes Unlimited almost never reach the levels of the mainstream heroes, unless rolling them as either Immortals or Mega-Hero.

If there's one thing I'll never forget its the powers and abilities of Spider-man, but Heroes Unlimited's way of rating PS makes nearly all super-heroes in the Supernatural PS category from other companies. With the perspective HU has Spider-man would be more Extraordinary PS, and stretching it to say Superhuman (same goes with Captain America). So Captain America level is basically Extraordinary PS, Spider-man's level is Superhuman, and someone like Thor or Superman would be Supernatural level. You could never really represent those characters in HU terms because they'd need a PS in the 10s of thousands range of higher, which is absurd with how things are set up.

Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

Nightmask wrote:
Dobergirl wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

If there's one thing I'll never forget its the powers and abilities of Spider-man, but Heroes Unlimited's way of rating PS makes nearly all super-heroes in the Supernatural PS category from other companies. With the perspective HU has Spider-man would be more Extraordinary PS, and stretching it to say Superhuman (same goes with Captain America). So Captain America level is basically Extraordinary PS, Spider-man's level is Superhuman, and someone like Thor or Superman would be Supernatural level. You could never really represent those characters in HU terms because they'd need a PS in the 10s of thousands range of higher, which is absurd with how things are set up.

Also, it's worth nothing that, within Heroes Unlimited, even Physical Training characters can acquire Extraordinary and Superhuman Strength. So someone like Batman or the Punisher could, theoretically, have Superman Strength.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

MikeM wrote:if you have a concept you want to stick with, that's one thing it other than that, why would anyone take extraordinary PS?
Other than PCs who might want to design PCs intentionally weaker, some GMs have players make random rolls to determine their super abilities.

Doing it that way you can actually roll Supernatural PS (a major power) as a minor power, because it's on the Extraordinary Attributes table, which you can roll on as a result of rolling for minor super powers.

Mediapig71 wrote:Physical Training characters can acquire Extraordinary and Superhuman Strength. So someone like Batman or the Punisher could, theoretically, have Superman Strength.
That's assuming those classes are appropriate. I always pegged Punisher as more of a 'hunter' (kinda like Kraven) or as that Secret Operative or whatever it's called.

Batman could actually be a Super Sleuth who selects a N&SS martial art (there are rules for this in N&SS) though I'm not really sure which, maybe Ninjutsu?

Even supposing either were PT, and about the toughness/strength option (built as Bats is, and I know we want to contrast him with smaller agile guys like the Robins, I still think Bats would be about defensive/speed) I think Supes would end up having supernatural strength one way (the major power) or another (mega hero).
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Warning: A reminder, on these boards there is a No Conversions policy. This includes discussing which Palladium classes might be best suited for emulating comic book characters.

If further posts discussing this appear in this thread the posters will e warned and the thread locked.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Dobergirl
Wanderer

Jefffar wrote:
Warning: A reminder, on these boards there is a No Conversions policy. This includes discussing which Palladium classes might be best suited for emulating comic book characters.

If further posts discussing this appear in this thread the posters will e warned and the thread locked.

I... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to help emulate the heroes or start any emulation discussion, really. I was just referencing to how strong Spider-man is and how people seem to forget that. In no way was I trying to make what would be best for him, I am very sorry Jeff. :-(

Besides, I never understood why you'd want to make a copy of Superman or someone like that in the first place. At most, you'd only be known as second grade copy and at the worst, total rip off. (And like Nightmask mentioned it'd be literally impossible to meet many of the charas stats anyway) Personally, if my player has told me they want to be just like *insert name here* I have most of the times helped make the character noticeably different because it'd be very boring for me to GM the copy of famous character as well. :-?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

That's why the warning was not applied to any specific posts or posters. A reminder as it were.

Just don't' get too close to the conversion line and all is good.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Dobergirl wrote:Supernatural strength (can lift 10 tons on straight arms)
Being able to do a locked out support of a given weight isn't the same as being able to 'lift' the weight though. Compare the number of people who can do handstands to the number who can do handstand pushups. Or the number of people who can stand versus the number who can squat. Or the number who can balance on 1 leg compared to the number who can pistol squat. People are always dramatically stronger at lockout since the bones are aligned to optimize leverage.
Dobergirl
Wanderer

Tor wrote:
Dobergirl wrote:Supernatural strength (can lift 10 tons on straight arms)
Being able to do a locked out support of a given weight isn't the same as being able to 'lift' the weight though. Compare the number of people who can do handstands to the number who can do handstand pushups. Or the number of people who can stand versus the number who can squat. Or the number who can balance on 1 leg compared to the number who can pistol squat. People are always dramatically stronger at lockout since the bones are aligned to optimize leverage.

Way to entirely miss the point. And besides, if you can't handle the weight and put yourself in lockout, you'll have a serious injury.
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

Another thing people are forgetting is that some Major powers come with Minor powers rolled into them the various attribute abilities in particular, by having two categories it allows for the lesser one to be included instead of the higher one
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Dobergirl wrote:Way to entirely miss the point.
Which is what? The stats for lifting weight in Rifts indicate the amount you can raise, not the amount you can support in a raised position.

Dobergirl wrote:if you can't handle the weight and put yourself in lockout, you'll have a serious injury.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'handle the weight'. People do not need to be capable of lifting a weight through a full RoM to be able to support it in lockout (or near-lockout) without injury. This is why people who can't pistol squat can still run.
Dobergirl
Wanderer

Tor wrote:
Which is what? The stats for lifting weight in Rifts indicate the amount you can raise, not the amount you can support in a raised position.

When generally talking about superheroes and stuff, how much they can lift is exactly how much they can support or that can sometimes be a bit more than lifting depending on the writer and the scene. This isn't Rifts, so I don't think those stats would apply here. :badbad:
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Dobergirl wrote:
Tor wrote:

When generally talking about superheroes and stuff, how much they can lift is exactly how much they can support or that can sometimes be a bit more than lifting depending on the writer and the scene. This isn't Rifts, so I don't think those stats would apply here. :badbad:
Are you trying to use the Comics Medium to justify your stance? Not a stable footing that... the Hero has the Strength the plot requires which the RPG medium cannot emulate since it does require we quantify every power to the last decimal.
flatline
Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Dobergirl wrote:
Tor wrote:

Are you trying to use the Comics Medium to justify your stance? Not a stable footing that... the Hero has the Strength the plot requires which the RPG medium cannot emulate since it does require we quantify every power to the last decimal.

I think you are confusing role playing games with tactical war games. RPGs can be as detailed (or not) as they want to be.

--flatline

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

flatline wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Dobergirl wrote:
Tor wrote:

I think you are confusing role playing games with tactical war games. RPGs can be as detailed (or not) as they want to be.

--flatline
In both there are limits that are applied to the abilities a char may have. Emulating the Power levels of plot is not something a game system of any stripe is able to do well.
That is why most of them leave that up to each individual GM.
flatline
Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:
flatline wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Dobergirl wrote:

--flatline
In both there are limits that are applied to the abilities a char may have. Emulating the Power levels of plot is not something a game system of any stripe is able to do well.

In an RPG, the GM is the arbitrator who can choose to allow or disallow whatever he wants which can easily include allowing characters to accomplish whatever feat advances the plot even if their stats are technically insufficient.

A tactical war game, on the other hand, has no arbitrator analogous to the GM, so the rules of such a game must carefully describe the proper handling of any scenario that might come up within the rules.

--flatline

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

flatline wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
flatline wrote:I think you are confusing role playing games with tactical war games. RPGs can be as detailed (or not) as they want to be.

--flatline

In an RPG, the GM is the arbitrator who can choose to allow or disallow whatever he wants which can easily include allowing characters to accomplish whatever feat advances the plot even if their stats are technically insufficient.

A tactical war game, on the other hand, has no arbitrator analogous to the GM, so the rules of such a game must carefully describe the proper handling of any scenario that might come up within the rules.

--flatline
Not arguing that point.
The GM is the Final Arbiter of what happens in his/her game.
But when one discusses such things in the context of a message forum such as this we must all work from a common ground. That ground is unfortunately that of the text in the books and the text alone.
To base a discussion on anything outside what can and cannot be be with in the frame work of the common rules is pointless. Since in that respect neither party can back up their points with anything beyond "well it works this way because I say it does."
flatline
Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:
flatline wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
flatline wrote:I think you are confusing role playing games with tactical war games. RPGs can be as detailed (or not) as they want to be.

--flatline

--flatline
Not arguing that point.
But when one discusses such things in the context of a message forum such as this we must all work from a common ground. That ground is unfortunately that of the text in the books and the text alone.
To base a discussion on anything outside what can and cannot be be with in the frame work of the common rules is pointless. Since in that respect neither party can back up their points with anything beyond "well it works this way because I say it does."

Correct. But since an RPG has a GM to cover the gaps, it is not necessary for the rules to "quantify every power to the last decimal". That was the point I was trying to make.

--flatline

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

flatline wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:Not arguing that point.

Correct. But since an RPG has a GM to cover the gaps, it is not necessary for the rules to "quantify every power to the last decimal". That was the point I was trying to make.

--flatline
And that is where you would be wrong...
The system has to quantify things to that degree because no two people will run the game the same way.
Some want to run it at as a table top tactical game.
Some want to run it as story driven.
Some want a mix of the two.
So the system has to take into account all three points of view.
The Frame of reference has to be same for all three types.
Where they choose to take it from there is their choice but they must have the same base frame of reference to begin any conversations.
flatline
Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:
flatline wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:Not arguing that point.

--flatline
And that is where you would be wrong...
The system has to quantify things to that degree because no two people will run the game the same way.

Where do you get the idea that it matters if different people run the game the same way?

House rules abound, even for systems that are better defined than Palladium's.

Some want to run it at as a table top tactical game.
Some want to run it as story driven.
Some want a mix of the two.
So the system has to take into account all three points of view.

No, the system is free to ignore any or all of the above, instead relying on the GM to facilitate whatever style of play they desire. Of course, if it doesn't cater to anybody, then it's not likely to be very popular.

The Frame of reference has to be same for all three types.
Where they choose to take it from there is their choice but they must have the same base frame of reference to begin any conversations.

Again, why is it important that different games start at the same place?

--flatline

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

flatline wrote:Again, why is it important that different games start at the same place?

--flatline
If you have to ask then no answer I give is going to enlighten your already closed mind.
flatline
Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:
flatline wrote:Again, why is it important that different games start at the same place?

--flatline
If you have to ask then no answer I give is going to enlighten your already closed mind.

I apologize if I somehow struck a nerve, but if I'm a lost cause for some reason, then perhaps you can answer for the others who are reading this thread.

--flatline

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

flatline wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

--flatline

I apologize if I somehow struck a nerve, but if I'm a lost cause for some reason, then perhaps you can answer for the others who are reading this thread.

--flatline
I already have... twice.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Damian Magecraft wrote:

--flatline

Then it's better to not answer than to make a comment about another poster. More of this results in a warning

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Dobergirl wrote:
Tor wrote:
Oy, slip of the fingers, you know full well the lifting multipliers in HU are bigger anyway =/

What one generally means when talking about heroes doesn't apply to HU, since this isn't DC or Marvel ;) Lift clearly means to bring/move up, not hold/keep up.

Now I have this strange interest in derailing the thread to argue about, unrelated to RPGs, whether the Hulk is stronger for lifting a mountain versus Thing being strong for holding together the Brooklyn bridge.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

ex ps lifts more than supernatural damage is the same. so if you plan on throwing heavy stuff ex ps if you plan on punching and kicking stick with supernatural.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”