Palladium Fantasy RPG over other Fantasy RPG's

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cinos
Hero

Re: Palladium Fantasy RPG over other Fantasy RPG's

Unread post by Cinos »

Setting, and nothing else.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Unread post by St. Evil »

The flexibility of the system, compared to games I have played. Besides since I am the GM and no one else brings the I want to GM to the table my group plays PFRPG.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Setting, setting, setting. Lots of options of places to go, adventures to be had, and excitement to be found in the PFRPG world.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

The main reason is the setting. The second a rule system not focused on using miniatures.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

I like to try out new games as well as cycle old favs (although I haven't played much recently). Why is Palladium Fantasy in this group of games I play? Setting. Same reason why Warhammer RPG is in there too: setting (the Old World).
So yeah, I love having fun and playing in cool and sometimes quirky settings and I don't like to limit myself.
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
linhvo
D-Bee

Unread post by linhvo »

I like PF2 because the system is easy (reminiscent of AD&D) simple enough to be fun. It isn't as cinematic as the old d6 Star Wars but still far more cinematic than d20. I like the fact the PF2 is not hung up on game balance. Sometimes game balance can seriously get in the way of a good story or even game. Don't get me wrong there is a good reason to have some game balance. but why does a highly trained paladin or palladin have to be at the same power level as a vagabond or thief? The setting is incredible and I am a fish out of water waiting for Wolfen Wars, Land of the Damned 3 and the old kingdom books. It's good to see they are finally back on the to do list. I also like the fact that there is no common tounge. I already speak the earth common tounge. I want to be in a world where its possible that there is no one for thousands of miles who does't speak your language. Yeah I know that can lead to serious problems but it is aleast realistic.
James Kirk: "Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in the galaxy that can make that claim." -- 1966-2006
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

20 years ago I would have a totally different answer. "PB is Sooooooo much better (I hated D&D with a passion). Magic makes more sense. Mages and priests can pick up and swords and wear armor. Summoners/diabolists-just can't get them elsewhere. More races to play." On and on. I would play in a D&D group and after a while ask if they would try PFRPG, similar mechanics would get them to say yes, and the classes/races/flavour would get them to stay with it.

Sadly (for me/us) 2nd ed. killed all of that. It took away/changed a lot what we liked and only added rifts-like imbalance. I got the main book and dragons+gods. A friend got Old Ones, and some of the 'secrets' irked me. Now, I just can't play it. I probably am missing out on a lot of cool world stuff, but I got all the 1st ed stuff and my hiatus from PB was during the time they put out a lot of fantasy books.

I designed and published my own fantasy game, but ironically, because of time constraints and to keep rules simple I pull out D&D 4e and use my own world/universe.

Why would I play PFRPG over others? I would play 1st ed. (using PPE from 2nd edition) for nostalgia. And even though we can't 'convert' I did have awesome Wheel of Time rules using only PB OCCs (changed the OCC names, but kept everything else the same). if i did another WoT themed game, i would use PB 1e

Side note: I mean imbalance as in making certain class/races obsolete. Sure a thief should be different from a Knight, but a troll wizard should not be be better than a human/orc knight in melee combat.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

ZorValachan wrote:20 years ago I would have a totally different answer. "PB is Sooooooo much better (I hated D&D with a passion). Magic makes more sense. Mages and priests can pick up and swords and wear armor. Summoners/diabolists-just can't get them elsewhere. More races to play." On and on. I would play in a D&D group and after a while ask if they would try PFRPG, similar mechanics would get them to say yes, and the classes/races/flavour would get them to stay with it.

Sadly (for me/us) 2nd ed. killed all of that. It took away/changed a lot what we liked and only added rifts-like imbalance. I got the main book and dragons+gods. A friend got Old Ones, and some of the 'secrets' irked me. Now, I just can't play it. I probably am missing out on a lot of cool world stuff, but I got all the 1st ed stuff and my hiatus from PB was during the time they put out a lot of fantasy books.

I designed and published my own fantasy game, but ironically, because of time constraints and to keep rules simple I pull out D&D 4e and use my own world/universe.

Why would I play PFRPG over others? I would play 1st ed. (using PPE from 2nd edition) for nostalgia. And even though we can't 'convert' I did have awesome Wheel of Time rules using only PB OCCs (changed the OCC names, but kept everything else the same). if i did another WoT themed game, i would use PB 1e

Side note: I mean imbalance as in making certain class/races obsolete. Sure a thief should be different from a Knight, but a troll wizard should not be be better than a human/orc knight in melee combat.

You are missing out.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
TheGameMaster
Explorer

Unread post by TheGameMaster »

I chose PFRPG for the freedom. There is almost no limit to what a player or GM can do. The setting is great too. Such a wide variety of places. I like the vast choice of races to play as well. I've notice that most other systems have it limited to a handfull of playable races
To GLORY! To VICTORY!! HUZZA!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Races, classes, setting, easy rules, character based/more emphasis on things other than combat, multiple OCCs but not unlimited.

What KEPT me with PFRPG was its sheer scope of possibilities (and better longevity for the player charcters) and ofc, the megaversal system. One week play PFRPG, next week HU2, next week NB etc....
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Shawn Merrow wrote:The main reason is the setting. The second a rule system not focused on using miniatures.

Actually, that is a huge point! Thanks!
We play online over Skype, and the fact that we do it with few maps and mostly "in our minds eye" is one of the reasons people are starting their own local games- in person, but still without the miniatures, grids, etc.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
scottypotty
D-Bee

Unread post by scottypotty »

Because the setting and rule system are newer to me and don't have an established "feel". I can do whatever I want without feeling like I'm doing the game a disservice. I have run and enjoyed WHFRP 2nd and L5R. Palladium wouldn't be my first choice of a fantasy game, but the complete control of every aspect of the setting makes it a viable one. The particular setting is of little consequence. And I am pretty surprised no sourcebook for the Old Kingdom is out. It seems like the perfect place to adventure.
Gthomas41571
D-Bee

Unread post by Gthomas41571 »

I agree with everone else SETTINGS, I've been playin PFRPG since the 80s and I love it...
I've played Star Frontiers By TSR and I've played D and D ,Star Wars and Star Trek, War Hammer and Pathfinder, but the other games don't come close to Palladium....
I've always found my self comeing back to the best, the rules are simple enought and besides u can always modify them to you needs, don't miss undersand what I'm saying you could do the same with some of the other systems, but nothing beats a good fantasy game like Palladium.
Besides its the only one I play now...I ve gotten rid of the others
Gthomas41571
D-Bee

Re: Palladium Fantasy RPG over other Fantasy RPG'sesidesb

Unread post by Gthomas41571 »

Besides that. D and D THACO suxs lol
A.R. and S.D.Cs. for palladium that's a great system
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I don't. I like the setting and some of the classes are cool, but there are several fantasy games that I'd put ahead of it. Frankly, the only reason I own a copy is to crib some funky magic out of it for Rifts.
Justthis Guy
Explorer

Unread post by Justthis Guy »

in regards to the use of miniatures, they are great for a battle board as a visual aid and to map out AoE spells or to determine LoS for archers; otherwise you dont need minis. PFRPG is the best for the great OCC's, the versatile skill set and the best combat system ever devised which address real armor, and also magic combat.
The answer to Life the Universe and Everything is 42!!! but just what is the question? hmm . .
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

the PF setting is great , i perfer the pathfinder rules for fantasy games but they dont always mesh well with the PF setting.
its hard to play a diffrent fantasy setting and not compare the storylines to PF its just that good and deep. but its stagnate and needs some infusion of setting and such before it just falls off the face of the earth. we need more PF books!
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Justthis Guy wrote:the best combat system ever devised.

I'm not sure that means what you think it means.
Last edited by Cinos on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Ronin78 »

Evil Genius Prime wrote:Hello fellow forumites,

I, myself, play and run quite a few different fantasy RPGs. So I was wondering...
What makes you choose PFRPG over other fantasy RPGs? For example, I play and run Pathfinder, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Legend of the Five Rings, and Dungeon Crawl Classics.

What other RPGs do you play/run and why would you choose Palladium Fantasy over the others?

Its a great setting, Having more than one basic type of magic system is nice. Classes feel more like real archetypes rather than cookie cutter classes. Doesn't feel as generic to me.

For me as a GM its actually the system, Its old school in so many ways. For me the combat system has a unique feel. I really like how AR works for combat, both natural and armor. How multiple actions work over games that let you attack 4 times all at once, Instead of give and take of a round. I like percentile skill systems, But don't like percentile combat systems.

I like the fact that I can get ideas and inspiration from all the other palladium books. Comparability between the games means my players can run into anything in then magaverse, with a little name change of course.
Gamers are the only people I know that can brag about the things they pretend they did.

My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/
Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

For fantasy settings, PFPRG offers alot of bonuses over other systems. For me, the world setting, ease of character creation, combat system and the lack of hack and slash are the major bonuses.

For Superhero systems, I was introduced to Champions - now known as Hero Games - 6th edition, i think - way, way, way back in college (20+ years ago) and have stuck with that system simply out of habit even though character creation is very complex. It's a point purchasing system instead of random rolls which does have its own merits. Nothing "hurts" more then wanting to create a soldier/merc/or other melee class in PFRPG and rolling an 8 for PS. Hero Games, if you want someone super strong, you just spend points for it.

I've never played Rifts even though I do own a couple of the books. The current campaign I'm running, my players are wanting to cross over, so I have been writing up the story for this to happen. 2 elves, an orc and a dwarf land in Rifts...should be fun. Luckily for my players, I'm not an evil man so they aren't going to land in Chi-Town or a similar D-Bee free zone
Justthis Guy
Explorer

Unread post by Justthis Guy »

Cinos wrote:
Justthis Guy wrote:the best combat system ever devised.

I'm not sure that means what you think it means.

"you keep saying that word" Inyago Montoya lol
The answer to Life the Universe and Everything is 42!!! but just what is the question? hmm . .

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”