Black Crusade

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Black Crusade

Unread post by gaby »

the Crusaders and Black Crusade,s story are Great,New Occ for True Atlantean are Excellent, I think the Atlantean Drifter and the Tattoos Master were the Best, the new Tattoos are Super,It make sense for the Sunaji/the Aerihman clan wanted own unique tattoos to give them a edge.

So tell me what you think of them?
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Re: Black Crusade

Unread post by Lord Z »

I did not like these articles. Okay, they were very well organized and executed. A lot of excellent elements popped up here and there in the form of a particularly clever magic tattoo or a fun NPC. My problem is with the concept itself.

I have mentioned before that the Sunaj conspiracy doesn't make much sense to me. I find it wildly unfeasible that a large group of conspirators could hold any secret in a world with Mind Bleeders and Mind Melters and where one quarter of even the regular humans are psychic. Heck, a non-psychic with the Interrogation skill could blow the lid off the entire thing. Yet, the Sunaj have without explanation had this huge conspiracy maintained for untold years extending not only across the planet but across the Megaverse. In actual gameplay, such a conspiracy wouldn't survive twenty minutes at most game tables.

In the Black Crusade articles, we have an excellent opportunity to resolve this gigantic plot hole. Instead, the author ignores the plot hole and greatly expands the conspiracy. Now the conspirators have their own slave race, exclusive access to trade in (and exploit) entire worlds, their own unique equipment and classes, their own mercenary company, etc. It's all cool stuff, but it is not useful in any campaign I can see happening.

I would like to think that maybe I am being overly reactionary and this plot hole simply did not occur to the author. No! In Issue #56, one of the suggested adventures actually mentions that the PCs might learn all of the secrets from a captured Menodian. Thus, the author is aware that this is a very real possibility. So, why the hairy holly-jolly heck hasn't this happened tens of thousands of times already?
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

Mephisto wrote:
Lord Z wrote:I did not like these articles. Okay, they were very well organized and executed. A lot of excellent elements popped up here and there in the form of a particularly clever magic tattoo or a fun NPC. My problem is with the concept itself.

I have mentioned before that the Sunaj conspiracy doesn't make much sense to me. I find it wildly unfeasible that a large group of conspirators could hold any secret in a world with Mind Bleeders and Mind Melters and where one quarter of even the regular humans are psychic. Heck, a non-psychic with the Interrogation skill could blow the lid off the entire thing. Yet, the Sunaj have without explanation had this huge conspiracy maintained for untold years extending not only across the planet but across the Megaverse. In actual gameplay, such a conspiracy wouldn't survive twenty minutes at most game tables.

In the Black Crusade articles, we have an excellent opportunity to resolve this gigantic plot hole. Instead, the author ignores the plot hole and greatly expands the conspiracy. Now the conspirators have their own slave race, exclusive access to trade in (and exploit) entire worlds, their own unique equipment and classes, their own mercenary company, etc. It's all cool stuff, but it is not useful in any campaign I can see happening.

I would like to think that maybe I am being overly reactionary and this plot hole simply did not occur to the author. No! In Issue #56, one of the suggested adventures actually mentions that the PCs might learn all of the secrets from a captured Menodian. Thus, the author is aware that this is a very real possibility. So, why the hairy holly-jolly heck hasn't this happened tens of thousands of times already?

The Sunaj was easily the worst part of Rifts Atlantis. That being said, ignoring that Rifts Atlantis continues to remain the best book in the Rifts franchise, and it's been going over 15 years now. Triax and the NGR, New West, Rifts Mexico, and Underseas being plausible and enjoyable enough to cover over the tripe of some stuff (I'm looking at you Rifts England, Rifts Australia, Free Quebec (Glitter Girls?) and everyone's favorite thing to malign, Siege on Tolkeen). I don't know how often that single series vilified the entire Rifts franchise like it did, but it really did a number on the franchise in a negative way.

I do completelly agree about the Sunaj plot hole. In at least one way its the same plot hole that led to the SoT. The CS were able to walk in to a fortifide city of mages and psychics and run around like they owned the place with out anybody suspecting a thing.
When the Sunaj first appiered I like most others thought it was a great plot twist. The exacution of this interesting sub-plot has been horrible. Given the low numbers and spread out nature of Atlantean culture,and the ever trusting nature of the TA's towards each other, the Sunaj plot could be pulled off for a couple of decades.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I agree with the sunaj plot but the illustrations of them are cool.

And - the article was really good!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

The Dark Elf wrote:I agree with the sunaj plot but the illustrations of them are cool.

I like the artical, but I am not a fan of Bradshaw, at all.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Shadow Wyrm wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:I agree with the sunaj plot but the illustrations of them are cool.

I like the artical, but I am not a fan of Bradshaw, at all.

I meant the original artwork in Rifts Atlantis actually.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Shadow Wyrm wrote:I do completelly agree about the Sunaj plot hole. In at least one way its the same plot hole that led to the SoT. The CS were able to walk in to a fortifide city of mages and psychics and run around like they owned the place with out anybody suspecting a thing.
When the Sunaj first appiered I like most others thought it was a great plot twist. The exacution of this interesting sub-plot has been horrible. Given the low numbers and spread out nature of Atlantean culture,and the ever trusting nature of the TA's towards each other, the Sunaj plot could be pulled off for a couple of decades.
So, I need to resume my Sunaj piece from Rifter Zero?
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

That would be good, Erasure Microbes rule!
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Shadow Wyrm wrote:That would be good, Erasure Microbes rule!
Well, I had to do something to protect them against meddling kids in a van led by a talking dog.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”