You want a taste of "Dead Reign??" Then try "Dead Nation!!"

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

You want a taste of "Dead Reign??" Then try "Dead Nation!!"

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Dead Nation is a top-down, 3/4 view shooter (visually, think of the viewing angle from "The Chaos Engine" or "Diablo") that is a $14.99 DLC game for the PS3 console. You may think of it as a much more gruesome version of "Zombies Ate My Neighbors," only there's no one else alive for you to rescue.

In it, you are a survivor of the Zombie Plague that has swept across the entire planet. Your goal is to make your way through the cities to a secret compound where, it is hoped, you can provide a cure.....

"DEAD REIGN-LIKE" FEATURES:
  • "Pattern Zombies" that retain some vestiges of what they were when alive, often "working" at their jobs until someone gets too close. Usually dressed up as what they were, too (Chefs, Cheerleaders, Deliverymen, etc.).
  • The Zombies stand "dormant" most of the time until awakened by proximity of the living, noises, or lights.
  • "Juggernaut" Zombies which are MUCH harder to kill and which hit MUCH harder due to the massive size of their bodies.
  • "Critical Shots" that cause massive damage and which can even kill many normal zombies in one shot.
  • "Trash Crawler" Zombies which are almost skeletal from the decaying process, and which often "hide" in or around trash heaps and/or piles of actually dead people.
  • "Fast Attack" Zombies that are several times faster than their brethren.
  • Zombies that call out for other Zombies to help converge on and bring down a living target.
  • The two player characters are "half living" types that are for some reason immune to being turned into a Zombie.

I got this game for free during Sony's "We're Sorry, here's two free DLC games of your choice to make amends" program, but I would have gladly paid the 15 bucks (it has proven to be worth a lot more than a few FULL-PRICE games that I recently played -and I'm looking at you, "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II").

Take a look at some of the footage on Google or in YouTube or wherever, see if it's worth your while, and then give it a spin.

Those of you who have played it, feel free to discuss with those who haven't.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Re: You want a taste of "Dead Reign??" Then try "Dead Nation!!"

Unread post by dargo83 »

maybe we can stat out some of said zeds but rename them so there are no conversions
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Whoops, folks, I forgot to point out that in this Video Game, just as it is in the RPG, Zombies fear fire.

Just as it is in the RPG, they catch on fire rather easily.

Just as it is in the RPG, they temporarily lose their "sense of purpose" while lit up.

And just as it is in the RPG, they set fire to other Zombies (and Player Characters) that make contact with them.

I spent some time on a particularly infested section of the city near the end of the game, lighting up DOZENS and DOZENS of onscreen Zeds with just a single blast of my Flamethrower; it lit up about 6 or 7 in the first stream of fire, and as the front of the line on undead approaching me slowed down and went in random directions, the other Zombies behind them who tried to push past the first ones caught fire themselves, and so on, and so on, and so on.

There must have been well over a hundred Zs on the screen, all on fire at the same time, and furthermore "reinfecting" each other with the flames and starting the whole cycle all over again. Leaving me with on;y about 10-20 or so by the time the last of the flamers either died out or extinguished the flames on their bodies without infecting any others.

Priceless!!

dargo83 wrote:maybe we can stat out some of said zeds but rename them so there are no conversions
I don't understand the point of making such conversions as I am just pointing out a Video Game that, I feel, largely replicates Dead Reign in audiovisual form.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

cornholioprime wrote:
dargo83 wrote:maybe we can stat out some of said zeds but rename them so there are no conversions
I don't understand the point of making such conversions as I am just pointing out a Video Game that, I feel, largely replicates Dead Reign in audiovisual form.

Um... Because Nerds will be Nerds? :lol:
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Lord Nikon wrote:Along the line of video games, has anyone been playing Dead Island? I picked it up and am having a blast. It's not shock horror by any means, and keeps you on your toes.
I would have thrown that disc up against the wall at about Mach 5, if I'd spent the money to buy it for $60 instead of renting it from GameFly.

There is no way (not on the PS3, anyway, as far as I know) to make your own Saves, and a TREMENDOUS number of people worldwide experienced "Self-Corrupting Data Saves" -including yours truly.

Even worse, I was online a few weeks ago and found out that the Patch that was supposed to FIX the Corrupt Save Data problem, CAUSED even more Bad Saves!!

:frust:

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Dead Nation ROCKS! I also got it free, and I also downloaded the little expansion mission.
I picked up on the Dead Reign similarities as well. Like the Soldier zombies who still clutch their rifle in one hand and they randomly shoot it, guys in business suits holding briefcases.

As for Dead Island, I heard it sucked, even without the save problems, never tried it myself.

I still want to convince my group to do a Dead Reign campaign, I got one guy on my side but I need to convince the other two.
Silveressa
Explorer

Unread post by Silveressa »

Haven't tired Dead Nation since it's not out for the PC but did wind up with a copy of Dead Island through an amusing set of events.

I got hacked. Or more technically my impulse account did. While my account was so hacked the hacker purchased Dead Island, interestingly enough while signed into my Impulse account. (which I only found out about when I received a paypal invoice to my email for a Dead Island download to my account for $.49.99 that I never ordered.) A little checking and it wasn't my paypal that was used to buy it, and oddly enough the password on my impulse account had been changed. (which took about a minute to change to something else.) So in short, someone was nice enough to hack my account and then buy me a game, such friendly and considerate folk hackers. :P

As for DI itself, it's a lot of fun for PC, and the corrupt save issue isn't much of an issue on the PC as long as one makes sure in multiplayer to have the host exist last after all the clients. (Played it well over 120+ hours both single and MP without any save corruption issues yet for myself or my significant other.)

Best of all, it can be modded, and after modding it to hell and back, (made weapons a bit more realistic, zombies nastier and with better AI, and the chars abilities more varied and unique) is a flat out fun zombie stomper.

Would I have paid $49.99 for it? Probably not, but for the price I didn't pay, I've got no complaints. ;)
"Lesbian Gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

A few days ago i came across a free-to-play mmo zombie game called Dead Frontier.......it looked quite interesting
The Dragon Has Spoken
Tadrith
D-Bee

Unread post by Tadrith »

Take a look at Project Zomboid. It is a sandbox zombie survival game wit an amazing number of options that you can do vi context menus. for example the game starts with you and your wife in a house with zeds outside because your wife has a broken leg. Your options (at least the ones I've found) are : make soup, go scavenge for supplies, listen to the emergency radio, Kill zeds, reinforce your house, smother your wife with a pillow, build a fence. It's really neat. there is a demo but the game itself costs 7.99.
Tadrith Rashkae
Mage of ColdFire

"Think on the battle-cost; this time the wolf has lost. Beaten and broken and blind.
Better beware, my lord; better prepare, my lord; I was the least of my kind."
I was the Least of my Kind
Echos Children
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Lord Nikon wrote:Really?? Dead Island has all those issues? I play it on the X-Box and have had no problems what so ever. Beat it numerous times without any issues. Now I've switched over to Lollipop Chainsaw. HA! Definately not a good game by any stretch of the imagination but there is something to be said for hacking zombies appart with chainsaws...
I have Lollipop Chiansaw now...and from what I've heard about the game (it's sitting on my desk and I haven't opened the Gamefly envelope yet), apparently I'm not going to have the fun with it that I got from Bayonetta.......

Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

I've seen kids at the library playing Dead Frontier. Looks like a lot of fun.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
robertbc73

Unread post by robertbc73 »

cornholioprime wrote:Whoops, folks, I forgot to point out that in this Video Game, just as it is in the RPG, Zombies fear fire.

Just as it is in the RPG, they catch on fire rather easily.

Just as it is in the RPG, they temporarily lose their "sense of purpose" while lit up.

And just as it is in the RPG, they set fire to other Zombies (and Player Characters) that make contact with them.

I spent some time on a particularly infested section of the city near the end of the game, lighting up DOZENS and DOZENS of onscreen Zeds with just a single blast of my Flamethrower; it lit up about 6 or 7 in the first stream of fire, and as the front of the line on undead approaching me slowed down and went in random directions, the other Zombies behind them who tried to push past the first ones caught fire themselves, and so on, and so on, and so on.

There must have been well over a hundred Zs on the screen, all on fire at the same time, and furthermore "reinfecting" each other with the flames and starting the whole cycle all over again. Leaving me with on;y about 10-20 or so by the time the last of the flamers either died out or extinguished the flames on their bodies without infecting any others.

Priceless!!

Now THAT is awesome. Stand ovation and golf clap.

Return to “Dead Reign™”