How are your zombies?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

How are your Zombies?

Just like normal easy to stop humans only dead?
17%
The zombies have a natural AR but are easy to headshot?
33%
The zombies are vulnerable but need a natural headshot?
14%
The zombies have both AR and need a natural headshot?
36%

Total votes: 42

Rockwolf66
Hero

How are your zombies?

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Are they just dead humans or are they nigh unstoppable monsters bent only on killing the living?
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Re: How are your zombies?

Unread post by dargo83 »

well thats the thing in my game u have ur run of the mill not to much of a challenge zed. and then u have the nigh unkillables the ones that make characters lose sleep at night hoping notto run into them again, even after they collapse a building on them and they just get back up. then there r those in between ones like a jugernnat with bone armor or the fast attack that they think they can out run with a car and when they look in the rear view there right on top of them.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Since I use Josh Hilden's Origional setting...I have demons and such to really give my players a bad day. Maybe I like Monster Hunter International a little too much but your average zombie should be PC fodder. it's the beings behind the zombies that should be scary.

Plus if you are really into the zombie genire you should know that it's not the zombies that are the problem it's the people who are still alive. Zombies are just bad weather as far as a story goes.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Well, mine have AR... and need a called natural headshot to kill... if you're trying to kill them that way.. blowing them to bits works to. So does filling them with so much lead they fall to bits. But they are super hard to kill with the AR the way it is.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I use a lot from the Compendium, so natural AR applies, but you don't need a natural headshot. However, there is a penalty to strike the head and taken with the natural AR it makes most zeds challenging to drop at most any distance.

We also use the headshot table in the Compendium, so you could always land the 'assassin's headshot' to the brain for HP x4 damage...
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

The rule of Double Tap comes to mind when dealing with zombies. Vehicles are a good tool as well as shotguns and such. alot of zombie fights get close up and Point Blank tends to splatter them to the winds and the other players.
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Mine are -3 to called headshot with NATURAL AR of 10 simulating difficulty to cause damage that will actually do anything. If the player rolls over a 4 it strikes the zeek but unless it is over 10 they just get a bunch of useless meat.

Also point blank shot to the head just needs to be above 4 (as in no armor save)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

My zombies are super! Thanks for asking!
Ronin Shinobi
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Sportsmeister and Mr.Sports of sound off, endorsed by cornholioprime

Unread post by Ronin Shinobi »

lowered their AR to 10 but head shots are an auto kill but do add the negative modifier. Natural 20 on a called shot to the head is defiantly auto kill.
Showoff often leads to showdown
Svartalf- Shinobi, You're twisted
Mack- I'm constantly amazed at what people will put their energy into. This planet needs more predators.
Saitou Hajime- What kind of Americian are you?
Shadyslug- Good question
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

If and when I run Dead Reign again....I've decided to make the head shot AR situational kind of like a difficulty number.

Examples:
A single zombie 20 feet away unaware...AR 10.
Slouching zombie moving forward 20 feet away...AR 12
Fast attack zombie rushing towards you in the dark 20 feet away...AR16....10 feet leaping at you...make a HF roll 12 or panic...if save AR14 if failed...AR18.

I had problems with the rules as written, so I am taking Kevin Siembieda's advice and modifying them to my taste.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Rockwolf66
Hero

MurderCityDisciple wrote:If and when I run Dead Reign again....I've decided to make the head shot AR situational kind of like a difficulty number.

Examples:
A single zombie 20 feet away unaware...AR 10.
Slouching zombie moving forward 20 feet away...AR 12
Fast attack zombie rushing towards you in the dark 20 feet away...AR16....10 feet leaping at you...make a HF roll 12 or panic...if save AR14 if failed...AR18.

I had problems with the rules as written, so I am taking Kevin Siembieda's advice and modifying them to my taste.

Have you taken a look at the hit location modifiers from the Compendium of contemporary weapons?

It's a called shot at -5 to hit the head or neck of an opponant. While this still means that you need a 17 or higher to hit the head you get your bonuses for knowing how to use the weapon in your hands. Meaning that a competition pistol shooter with his $3,500 racegun has a better chance of killing a zombie as a 12 year old girl useing her brother's airgun for the first time. Trust me there is a huge differance between the two.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

I use the -5 to strike head/neck. I do factor in distance and the zombie moving. Point blank bonuses, and anything over 25% of the range of the weapon is an additional -3 to strike. If the zombie is moving (at any speed) I just give a flat -3 to strike.

So a moving zombie at long distance you need a strike roll of 16 or higher to hit the head. Non-moving 13. Close range 13 while moving, 10 while not.

I think that gives some good realism. No AR for the head, my zombies didn't suddenly grow thicker skulls.

The way I look at it, is someone with proficiency in the weapon, at short ranges has a darned good chance of hitting even a moving zombie in the head. A target of 13 isn't all the high if you have a +3 or 4 to strike. Sure that is about even odds that you'll miss, but frankly in "real life" if you are shooting at the head of something moving at you at a fast walk, bobbing back and forth some at 10yds, plus some nervousness, etc I bet even someone fairly proficient with a pistol might not necessarily hit a zombie in the head more than 1 in 2 shots, or some of them might only graze the head.

Get close and the odds are much higher. Get further away and it is harder. Even with a sniper rifle and really proficient, hitting something call it 1ft in diameter moving around at 200yds is pretty damned hard. Same circumstances, but at 40yds with a rifle, not nearly as hard.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Thanks Guys.

All good rulesets...but I'm too lazy for charts, compendiums and whatnot...I will just spew out a target number on a whim.

That way I can play favorites and punish those who vex me. :twisted:
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

I dropped AR to 10, and just use standard called shot rules myself.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

i gm zombies like the first "night of the living dead movies" headshots dont work they fight until reduced to zero sdc. weaknesses to fire silver magic and psionics. to make up for the beefiness of them i use alot of shamblers
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

I try to play rules as written, but I usually add bonuses to shots to the head based on range. I have a hard time with a shotgun taking mutiple blasts to take down a sloucher. I think that most Zombies should be "one shot, one kill" if your aim is good and you hit them in the head.
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I play with the rules as written until my players get used to the system. Then I might change the rules to something a little less likely to get them killed.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!

Return to “Dead Reign™”