Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Re: 2012

Unread post by Grell »

I have not, but based off of the previews of destruction scenes it's pretty easy to see how a comparison could be drawn.

In some respects though, it almost looks like too much. I suppose that may be because my minds eye watches the Great Cataclysm and notices more subtle things that mark the end of mankind's age of dominance. Though there is nothing wrong with utter and total destruction!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Iron Manticore wrote:Anyone else see this movie and think "Great Cataclysm?"

The movie kinda takes it to the extreme.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

I watched it Monday night and all I could think of was where's NEMA in all of this :-D

I liked it. If I knew anything about video editing, I would use a big portion of this movie to make a homemade Rifts movie.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Iron Manticore wrote:
jedi078 wrote:
Iron Manticore wrote:Anyone else see this movie and think "Great Cataclysm?"

The movie kinda takes it to the extreme.

Wait...what?!? :eek: Are you kidding? You must be...

The Great Cataclysm...the event that wiped out 80-90% of the world's population, that destroyed civilization as we know it...the 80-year winter in Russia, the Yellowstone Super Volcano, the rising of Atlantis, etc., etc., in Rifts Earth....was not extreme? The only thing missing from 2012 was the release of hundreds if not thousands of nuclear weapons, and the orbital weapons satellites firing on targets (which also occurred on Rifts Earth, if I'm not mistaken).

Where did you read that the Great Cataclysm was a picnic? :lol:

What I am saying is that the events depicted in 2012 are more extreme then in the Great Cataclysm depicted in Rifts

Spoiler:
In 2012 the majority of the world’s land masses were covered in water, and IIRC the only continent that was not hit by a massive tidal wave was Africa.
In Rifts while there were massive tidal waves they did not inundate the landmasses.

In 2012 the gravitationally field shifted in 2012 so Wisconsin became the South Pole.
In Rifts the gravitationally field did not field, although I am sure it did shift a bit, which is why Russia had an 80 year winter.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

The great Cataclysm to me is a combination of 2012 and The Day After Tommorrow....along with taking into account Life After People, Aftermath: Population Zero and other movies like Reign of Fire nad Terminator Salvation. :)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

it was very unrealistic. cool but unrealistic. the little plane caught in the ash cloud would have choke out and crashed. they did say the entire world minus africa was covered int the water and it was receeding faster then anticpated.

the problem with this show was this cycle has happen many times in the earths history and the dinosuars were not wiped out durning one of these cycles process. the cosmic alignment is not enough to destroy the earth on any scale.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

I thought Yawn...not again...sigh...

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”