Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thedrunk
Explorer
Comment: Friendly Fire™
"Combat With a Smile"
A Ensite Para-Military Corperation

A detialed map of the three galixies???

Unread post by thedrunk »

I have a pencile drawing of the three galixies that we put together from a 3 year campaign. I am wondering if any detialed maps exists.

I am also looking for a good tool set ( free is best type) that I can design floor plan of cities and ships, I would use auto desk but I am not learning its basic interface till next year. I am aware of maping programs like auto realm http://autorealm.sourceforge.net/index.php
I also like 3d max aviable form turbo squid http://www.turbosquid.com/ I would Like to knwo I am about to finish the story line about my first PC that made it past lv 3 and the campaign lasted 3 years........
"when in doubt, do it. It's much easier to appolige than to get permission."
- Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and im not shure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Aramanthus
Monk

Re: A detialed map of the three galixies???

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Actually I don't know of any official maps of the Three Galaxies. But I've been using some maps of galaxies that people sent me. If you are interested, I'd be happy to forward them to you. I don't think anyone would mind if I shared them. Of course if you want to create something new we could use them.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

The moar the merrier.
I just did the ones I made cuz no one else was gonna, and I was getting sick and tired of just rolling arbitrarry sets of d6's to determine how many (censored) parsecs away the next adventure was gonna be. :badbad: :mrgreen: :lol:
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Ok if i can figure out how to scan my map and then find a good map making program with placeables I will make a map with all listings of places along with how many light years it takes to get to point A and have a personal log ( IE computer log) sheet for players or GM to put thier own creations under it will be a while for im just now converting my paper to computer...........

any ideas on programs would be helpfull

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and im not shure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

Excel or Calc or pretty much any spreadsheet should be able to do any conversion and computation you need, with only a bit of work up front.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
Aramanthus
Monk

The maps from everyone can be used together. The ones from "TheDrunk" can be used for overall mapping places that haven't been mapped out by DhAkael! But all maps can be used to expand thee setting.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Aramanthus wrote:The maps from everyone can be used together. The ones from "TheDrunk" can be used for overall mapping places that haven't been mapped out by DhAkael! But all maps can be used to expand thee setting.

Indeed :mrgreen:

Leaves of the lotus rise

thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

DhAkael wrote:
Aramanthus wrote:The maps from everyone can be used together. The ones from "TheDrunk" can be used for overall mapping places that haven't been mapped out by DhAkael! But all maps can be used to expand thee setting.

Indeed :mrgreen:

I Hope every one likes them mabey armanthus can post the map on here and some one cna edit it all it is is a scan

Aramanthus
Monk

The problem with that is I don't have any sort of photobucket account. Sorry. I'd mail it too someone with one.

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:The problem with that is I don't have any sort of photobucket account. Sorry. I'd mail it too someone with one.

I have a photo bucket account and I am using paint to edit it pixel by pixel to define border lines and system and leaving it blank I will post hwen it is dont took liek a hour just to get one little section done MEH.
and my ship is going on the template I jsut have to find the skills for the NI

Aramanthus
Monk

Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your material. But don't let this gaming stuff take priority over the things you mentioned in the email. Those things should come first!

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your material. But don't let this gaming stuff take priority over the things you mentioned in the email. Those things should come first!

Ohh I wont if my delv in to palladium interferes with school I will dissapere in order to finish school. but since I am doing collage form home I only have to study about 4 hours a day I have a whole 20 hours to do nothing but twittle my thumbs and occionasly work on a custmors computer. this is the bordem breaker.

I will send map to you once I am finished.

actualyl I will also post on here too so some one with the skill to map it out can do so lolz, I lost my GM map some where and it has all the info form rifters and stuff

Aramanthus
Monk

Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing these files of yours!

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing these files of yours!
it will take years OMFG......

man want to buy a robot scripe with computer operation..............
but the work is comming along nicley I am on sensors and systems I will have ot find the sheet with the NI for my ships
if nto recreate it LOLZ

Aramanthus
Monk

Well maybe it you start the map and then send it out with the adjustments. Maybe others like myself could join in and help. Once we see how you are marking the map.

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:Well maybe it you start the map and then send it out with the adjustments. Maybe others like myself could join in and help. Once we see how you are marking the map.

I have decided just to define the map I mailed u and see what every one adds to it I lost the sheet that states what is where and it had a lot of tiny little red dots with numbers and a sheet full of names places and travel at ftl 1....
But if all goes good should have it done by week end at the rate I am going

Aramanthus
Monk

Cool! Sounds pretty awesome! Looking forward to seeing it!

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Louchavelli wrote:Hey fellas,

Any chance I can get a copy of those maps?

Thanks

PM your e-mail addy to me and I'll see what I can do.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

Those maps are really worth it! Awesome set of Galactic maps.

HH....FIE
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

Any chance you can host it somewhere and post a link? If not, I'd love to see it, so please send it to me!!! The last one I made about 8 years ago was like 30-35 pages and was a chore to keep straight.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

PDF only...sorry

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

The maps are great for distance travel. Local stuff would need some serious local areas seperately mapped out. I'd love to see the 30 - 35 pages of maps Maxx. Is that in a PDF format?

HH....FIE
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

i use the map.

its great to see where i 'might be if ... '

not that i understand maps and distances.

one reason i don't have a car

the other is simple, you follow the highway .. but its so much smaller and it lies. it never says that tiny circle with a name is another thing you need another map for .. =p

easier to pull over and ask for directions
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

DhAkael wrote:

Thanks

Did I miss the maps or some thing ??? and I have to find a editing program that is compatible with W7 RC and with W7 when it is realeased till then idk what to use any ideas would be help full. on average it will take about a month to edit the map I sent you and to create sectors idk about a month per sector so a lot of freaking months

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

thedrunk wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

Thanks

Did I miss the maps or some thing ??? and I have to find a editing program that is compatible with W7 RC and with W7 when it is realeased till then idk what to use any ideas would be help full. on average it will take about a month to edit the map I sent you and to create sectors idk about a month per sector so a lot of freaking months

As stated above, gimme yer e-mail addy via PM and I'll see if I can set you up.
The Maps were done in Photoshop and saved as .PDF's.
They are only gross area, relating to major systems only and the distances are, well, kinda long. Reason being (my little handwaveium here) that there are only so many habitable planets per solar system, only so many useful solar systems per sector and that FTL travel is effected by currents in space-time.
Certain routes, based on how well the pilot & navigator roll their skills, will cut down on travel times by up to 20x's. Otherwise the 1-5 ly/hr. applies and the vessel will have a very very very long trip :angel: :lol:

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

I like the maps. But I'm thinking of trying to map out the sectors myself. Put a lot more detail in. But that is a job for the future.

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Aramanthus wrote:I like the maps. But I'm thinking of trying to map out the sectors myself. Put a lot more detail in. But that is a job for the future.

Knock yerself out :D
I'd do sector maps m'self, but, well... my gang doesn't spend enough time IN any one particular sector long enough to make it worth my while. :angel:
Seriously, they get in trouble that fast :angel:

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

LOL In trouble? I know my players excell at doing just that! Still there are some thing I need to map out in more detail. I'm hoping my muse is stirring again. :::Fingers crossed:::

HH....FIE
Dolcet
Wanderer

Unread post by Dolcet »

Great maps my gm loves them, She says they give her ideas :eek:
I reject your reality & substitute my own
Adam Savage "Mythbusters"
Aramanthus
Monk

And there looks to be enough areas where various spacial phenomenon. Maybe even throw in a hyperstar which could lead to a hypernova.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypernova
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergiant

Another new little thing to throw in with blackholes, neutron stars.

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:And there looks to be enough areas where various spacial phenomenon. Maybe even throw in a hyperstar which could lead to a hypernova.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypernova
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergiant

Another new little thing to throw in with blackholes, neutron stars.

Ok armanthus I missed the passing out of the maps ?? send a copy my way....... I also have a copy of the map done with movement I will foward to ya and let em knwo what you think.

P.S. ok got some stuff recovered and still working on others school is a frag fest with exams and all that cool stuff so I had to cut back my devotion to the cause some but should be full force once I get the lap top going so I can do some thing while I wait for stuff to render next term.......

Aramanthus
Monk

I'm looking forward to seeing your map or maps. Please send them my way.

HH....FIE
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

I did a general map a long time ago to give my players a general idea of size. You can find a copy of it on my page, below.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice map. When did you create it? I don't remember seeing it on your site before.

HH....FIE
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Aramanthus wrote:Nice map. When did you create it? I don't remember seeing it on your site before.

I put it up about 3 years ago. I didn't go past general demographics since none of the sourcebooks gave us anything to work with, other than which galaxy the 160+ known worlds are listed as being in. Now if you are a glutton for punishment, you could always try to plot them using the list from Rifter 0.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Aramanthus
Monk

I would if I had Rifter 0. I don't have it yet. I'd like to order that and the maps.

HH....FIE
Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

Thread Necromancy!!!!

Working maps myself, and come up to an interesting conundrum/finding - did anyone notice that the Anvil Galaxy is MORE than spoken for? PW says half is claimed by the CCW, a third by the TGE, and a "about one-fifth" by the UWW - that's more than 100%! (though, if you take about one-fifth to mean less than, you could fit the UWW in there without overlap) Still, ALL of Anvil is claimed? does this not sound odd, considering the other two have as much as a third still open?

Also, who has those maps? I would be interested in seeing them
"Rifts Earth is alot more scary when you realize that its effectively people with the education level of retarded children running around with military grade ordinance." - Taylor White

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood.

H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Malakai wrote:Thread Necromancy!!!!

Working maps myself, and come up to an interesting conundrum/finding - did anyone notice that the Anvil Galaxy is MORE than spoken for? PW says half is claimed by the CCW, a third by the TGE, and a "about one-fifth" by the UWW - that's more than 100%! (though, if you take about one-fifth to mean less than, you could fit the UWW in there without overlap) Still, ALL of Anvil is claimed? does this not sound odd, considering the other two have as much as a third still open?

Also, who has those maps? I would be interested in seeing them

I have all three galaxies grossly mapped out, you can read the reasoning behind the large gaps between listed systems in earlier thread posts.

PM me with your e-mail addy and I'll shoot the maps your way. :D :crane:

Leaves of the lotus rise

Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

Also, how is everyone else reconciling odd/insensible descriptions. I'll give an example - more may come later -
Three Galaxies, Page 54, Cacadia: wrote: Located on the Rim of the corckscrew Galaxy . . . . Many transports leaving the Corkscrew Galaxy stop off at Cacadia as one last rest point before beginning the long journey to the Thundercloud or Anvil Galaxy

For the life of me, given the descriptions of the placement of the Galaxies, I can't see how this makes sense? Given that the Thundercloud and Anvil Galaxies are at opposite ends, Cacadia would either be further from one than the other by a significant portion, or be so far in between both that spacers would make other stops, as it would be over 50,000 Lightyears away from the nearest galaxy. The other alternative is to Layer the Galaxies - so that the same point on the rim of the Corkscrew Galaxy is the closest to both the Anvil and Thundercloud Galaxies - But then the descriptions of how far from the two "ends" of the Three Galaxies doesn't make sense. Any ideas?
"Rifts Earth is alot more scary when you realize that its effectively people with the education level of retarded children running around with military grade ordinance." - Taylor White

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood.

H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Malakai wrote:Also, how is everyone else reconciling odd/insensible descriptions. I'll give an example - more may come later -
Three Galaxies, Page 54, Cacadia: wrote: Located on the Rim of the corckscrew Galaxy . . . . Many transports leaving the Corkscrew Galaxy stop off at Cacadia as one last rest point before beginning the long journey to the Thundercloud or Anvil Galaxy

For the life of me, given the descriptions of the placement of the Galaxies, I can't see how this makes sense? Given that the Thundercloud and Anvil Galaxies are at opposite ends, Cacadia would either be further from one than the other by a significant portion, or be so far in between both that spacers would make other stops, as it would be over 50,000 Lightyears away from the nearest galaxy. The other alternative is to Layer the Galaxies - so that the same point on the rim of the Corkscrew Galaxy is the closest to both the Anvil and Thundercloud Galaxies - But then the descriptions of how far from the two "ends" of the Three Galaxies doesn't make sense. Any ideas?

Simple; hypergravitics.
the system used in the Aliens Unlimmited Galaxy Guide.
Cacadia has a wormhole link to both galaxies.
Ya, I know it stinks of handwavium but *shrug*, it works.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

Interesting idea. That would make travel between galaxies fast if there were multiple wormholes that lead back and forth between each of the three galaxies. I suppose you could run them like the similiar ones in Honor Harrington.

HH....FIE
Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

Well, they have already set a precedent - the Tyr Corridor and the information on Black Holes - so such can be used, though I would venture to say that too much of them could detract from the remoteness / frontier aspect of the game

The other thing this allows for is intriguing aspects of logistics and political distribution - there could very well be a cluster of systems of, say, the CCW surrounded by the TGE in one Galaxy because of a worm hole that lead there from well within CCW space . . . . . . I'll have to play around with this concept.

H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)
Aramanthus
Monk

I'd be cvery happy to see your data as it developes. I hope you post it for the rest of us.

HH....FIE
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

It could be one of the few habitable planets above/below the Galactic plane. Speed threw intergalactic space is 500% faster so it makes sense to have some sort of stopping point before you hit the highway so to speak
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Aramanthus
Monk

I could see having some way stations in those areas.

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”