Help: Full Conversion Borg who wants to become Human again.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grimlock
Explorer

Help: Full Conversion Borg who wants to become Human again.

Unread post by Grimlock »

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been playing a character who was originally a City Rat, but got badly shot up in a fire fight to the point where the only thing that could be done to save him is to make him a Full Conversion Borg. The conversion was obviously not by choice, and he's determined to find a way to become human again. I don't think there are rules in place that allow a Borg character to undo the conversion (I don't have all the books), and I'm pretty sure that it simply CAN'T be done, however, my character doesn't know that.

I've been doing some research to see how my character's search for a "cure" could be a part of our campaign story, and I've been thinking of possible ways that a "Full Conversion Restoration" could be achieved.

Here are possibilities:

i) He could have his body regrown using his DNA sample, and then have his brain surgically insterted in the body of the clone. It's nutty, and I don't think any organization on Rifts Earth can do it. It may be possible somewhere on Phase World, but I wouldn't know where.

ii) Perhaps a ritual magial spell could do it, though I wouldn't know if a custom spell of that nature would even exist. Perhaps a high level mage could design the spell for him.

iii) Maybe he could have his consciousness tranferred to another body, so he'd be human, but it wouldn't be the same body. This, again, could be achieved magically.

iv) Maybe he could travel in time and save himself from being shot up in the first place. Then you'd be faced with the whole paradox of two versions of the same character exisiting, but I don't know if time travel is even possible in Rifts.

Anyways, that's all I've been able to think of so far. I'm posting this in Palladium Books in hopes that it's members would come up with more ways that this character can TRY to restore his humanity. Any and all ideas a greatly welcomed.

And remember: If it's not possible for the character to undo a Full Conversion, the character doesn't know that. To him, it wouldn't be a wild goose chase.

Thanks again.

Grim
I gave my wife 5 rules for decorating our place: No Bows, No Pink, No Flowers, No Birds, and No Unicorns.
I later found out Unicorns are Mega Damage.
Now there are 4 rules.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re: Help: Full Conversion Borg who wants to become Human again.

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Bio-system replacements are another possibility. Of course this option depends on just what organs and bits are still original.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

I believe Japan offers the possibility of clone technology. Get a clone, scoop out it's brain, stick in the city rat's and voila!

It might be more complicated than my summary would have you believe though.

(Welcome to the Megaverse :ok: )
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Have a tattooed man kill him.

Then use a phoenix tattoo to ressurrect him. :demon:
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Grimlock wrote:Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been playing a character who was originally a City Rat, but got badly shot up in a fire fight to the point where the only thing that could be done to save him is to make him a Full Conversion Borg. The conversion was obviously not by choice, and he's determined to find a way to become human again. I don't think there are rules in place that allow a Borg character to undo the conversion (I don't have all the books), and I'm pretty sure that it simply CAN'T be done, however, my character doesn't know that.

I've been doing some research to see how my character's search for a "cure" could be a part of our campaign story, and I've been thinking of possible ways that a "Full Conversion Restoration" could be achieved.

Here are possibilities:

i) He could have his body regrown using his DNA sample, and then have his brain surgically insterted in the body of the clone. It's nutty, and I don't think any organization on Rifts Earth can do it. It may be possible somewhere on Phase World, but I wouldn't know where.

ii) Perhaps a ritual magial spell could do it, though I wouldn't know if a custom spell of that nature would even exist. Perhaps a high level mage could design the spell for him.

iii) Maybe he could have his consciousness tranferred to another body, so he'd be human, but it wouldn't be the same body. This, again, could be achieved magically.

iv) Maybe he could travel in time and save himself from being shot up in the first place. Then you'd be faced with the whole paradox of two versions of the same character exisiting, but I don't know if time travel is even possible in Rifts.

Anyways, that's all I've been able to think of so far. I'm posting this in Palladium Books in hopes that it's members would come up with more ways that this character can TRY to restore his humanity. Any and all ideas a greatly welcomed.

And remember: If it's not possible for the character to undo a Full Conversion, the character doesn't know that. To him, it wouldn't be a wild goose chase.

Thanks again.

Grim

The technological Japanese cities can do #1 I believe, and if Japan can, Phase World should be able to as well. You could make a case for the Kittani being able to as well (they can make clones, but no mention of brain transplants).

From Nightbane the Fleshsculpter spell 'Total Replacement' can make a new body; this would be a rare type of magic on Rifts Earth, but it has reduced physical stats over the original body. It's also not permanent unless the caster gives up a lot of permanent PPE.

Also from Nightbane, the Fleshsculpter spell 'Meld Living Flesh & Bone' could put the character's head (assuming that much of him is still human) on a new body.

You could make the case that the level 15 spell 'Ley Line Restoration' would fix a cyborg as well: it completely restores missing limbs and internal organs, and expells bionics & cybernetics.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

TECHNICALLY, there are technologies on Rifts Earth and elsewhere throughout the Megaverse that allow for the possibility. According to the strict text description of the spell, "Restoration" should do the trick as well.

HOWEVER.......

....For the apparent purposes of Gameplay and Game Flavor, you as a 'Borg are in an irreversible condition; one of the really good things about this Game Setting (no, really!!) is that there are short- and long-term consequences to the actions that you take, and just as you can't use the spell "Resurrection" to revive a Terminal Juicer or "Restoration" to forever keep him from reaching Last Call in the first place, you should live with the choice that you made and just have your PC stay in that 'Borg body. Besides, think of all the 'fun' you can have
playing that PC as regretting the hell out of that fateful decision in the first place!!

( :D Alternatively, at the very very least, make the Quest to obtain those Clone Parts or use that Super-Restorative Magic Spell an epic-level undertaking that you are not at all sure you can succeed at. :D )
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

ADDENDUM: According to RUE, page 45, you cannot even have your limbs replaced by bio-systems; they can only be replaced by other bionics...just like the ones that are currently inside your Full Conversion 'Borg.

Perhaps, once your character realizes this (and hopefully, this will be BEFORE he goes all over the planet just to find out that staying 'Borg is pretty much his only option).......perhaps your PC will be content to "settle" for just having himself rebuilt into a more human-looking Cyborg body.

Or maybe he could find some way to do a Transferred Intelligence upload into an Android that doesn't yet have any mental programming in it (a blank slate)!! :)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Grimlock
Explorer

Thanks for all the quick responses guys!

Misfit KotLD wrote:Bio-system replacements are another possibility. Of course this option depends on just what organs and bits are still original.

There's just a brain left. :(

sHaka wrote:I believe Japan offers the possibility of clone technology. Get a clone, scoop out it's brain, stick in the city rat's and voila!

We have a couple of first time players in the group, so we stuck with just a couple of the earlier books and stayed earlier in the time line to keep things simple. It's not a bad idea, but I don't think Japan would work out. :(

Balabanto wrote:Have a tattooed man kill him.

Then use a phoenix tattoo to ressurrect him. :demon:

That's brilliant! And we have a Werejaguar in our group who got rifted from South America. Maybe getting him back home means we could run into Clan Skellian. This idea could work out in our story arc. :-D

Talavar wrote:From Nightbane the Fleshsculpter spell 'Total Replacement' can make a new body; this would be a rare type of magic on Rifts Earth, but it has reduced physical stats over the original body. It's also not permanent unless the caster gives up a lot of permanent PPE.

You could make the case that the level 15 spell 'Ley Line Restoration' would fix a cyborg as well: it completely restores missing limbs and internal organs, and expells bionics & cybernetics.

Our campaign is currently set in the Manistique Imperium, and we've talked about heading over to Lazlo. There are a lots of mages there, and maybe even a Fleshsculptor. Meeting the right people and doing LOTS of favours could mean getting the spell cast. :-D

cornholioprime wrote:Or maybe he could find some way to do a Transferred Intelligence upload into an Android that doesn't yet have any mental programming in it (a blank slate)!!

One mechanical body for another wouldn't be an improvement. :(

Great suggestions so far, and you're giving me LOTS of ideas!

Only two things have NOT been addressed:

i) Travelling in time to prevent the accident that caused the conversion to take place;

ii) Transferring my character's "soul" onto a host body.

Are any of these two options feasible?
I gave my wife 5 rules for decorating our place: No Bows, No Pink, No Flowers, No Birds, and No Unicorns.
Now there are 4 rules.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

cornholioprime wrote:ADDENDUM: According to RUE, page 45, you cannot even have your limbs replaced by bio-systems; they can only be replaced by other bionics...just like the ones that are currently inside your Full Conversion 'Borg.

doesn't this invalidate the (CS's?) borg retirement program? i seem to remember either seeing an entry (might have been CWC, maybe aftermath) that talked about how cyborg vetrans would have their military grade bodies removed, and replaced with a cybernetic torso and bio-system limbs...

Perhaps, once your character realizes this (and hopefully, this will be BEFORE he goes all over the planet just to find out that staying 'Borg is pretty much his only option).......perhaps your PC will be content to "settle" for just having himself rebuilt into a more human-looking Cyborg body.

yeah, a hidden cyborg chassis would work well if you have to settle. you can look exactly the same as you used to, but are still MDC and really strong. at least you'd look human, even if you'd still be a cyborg.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Agree with the others that the simpliest method would be to get a Cyber-humanoid body, which can be found in the Bionics sourcebook. It's not the answer the character wants, but it's straightfoward.

Probably the real answer is to get a high-level mage to figure out a way to "heal" him, but that wouldn't be canonical.

And if you wanted to be a bit evil, a mage could promise to fix him via the Cold-Blooded RCC process (found in Merc Adventures). It would require bending a rule or two on the creation process, and the character might not appreciate the final result. :twisted:
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Just to clear things up, it's canon that the Japanese Republic can retro-convert cyborgs, both to bio-systems and to clone bodies - Rifts Japan, pg. 98.

Given that, it's pretty likely other super high tech. societies could do the same thing - various places in the 3 Galaxies, and probably the Kittani.

Grimlock wrote:Great suggestions so far, and you're giving me LOTS of ideas!

Only two things have NOT been addressed:

i) Travelling in time to prevent the accident that caused the conversion to take place;

ii) Transferring my character's "soul" onto a host body.

Are any of these two options feasible?

Time-travel is do-able, but there are no directly statted-out, player-controllable methods in Rifts (at least that I'm aware of), so it's GM's discretion. A couple of places that can trigger jumps into the past - time holes in the remains of the Florida peninsula in Dinosaur Swamp, and I think trying to leave the Yucatan peninsula by air has a chance of flinging you into the past as well. Neither of these are very accurate however, or come with a reliable way to return to the present.

Soul/mind transferance used to be a possible consequence of a psionic Mind Bond in a previous version of Palladium Fantasy, but I can't think of anything else in canon that does that.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Barring divine intervention, I don't see it happening. A little handwavium might be necessary, but remember, if a god does something for you, they will want something big in return.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Grimlock
Explorer

Talavar wrote:Just to clear things up, it's canon that the Japanese Republic can retro-convert cyborgs, both to bio-systems and to clone bodies - Rifts Japan, pg. 98.
Given that, it's pretty likely other super high tech. societies could do the same thing - various places in the 3 Galaxies, and probably the Kittani.

Do you think there any organizations in Rifts North America that would be at that level of technological advancement? Maybe Lone Star, but considering my character is a Coalition dissident, I don't think they'd be up for helping me. :lol:
Now there are 4 rules.
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Grimlock wrote:
Talavar wrote:Just to clear things up, it's canon that the Japanese Republic can retro-convert cyborgs, both to bio-systems and to clone bodies - Rifts Japan, pg. 98.

Do you think there any organizations in Rifts North America that would be at that level of technological advancement? Maybe Lone Star, but considering my character is a Coalition dissident, I don't think they'd be up for helping me. :lol:

ARCHIE Perhaps?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Find the Blue Fairy.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Oh, the humanity!
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Grimlock
Explorer

Killer Cyborg wrote:Find the Blue Fairy.

Sorry, but I've never heard of the Blue Fairy. It's been a while since I've read my personal Rifts catalogue. :)

Talavar wrote:You could make the case that the level 15 spell 'Ley Line Restoration' would fix a cyborg as well: it completely restores missing limbs and internal organs, and expells bionics & cybernetics.

I was thinking a bit more about this spell and it's pretty cheezy to have it restore the Borg to normal as is. Would it be more fair if the spell COULD return the Borg to normal, but costing much more P.P.E.?

Could that be a viable alternative?
Now there are 4 rules.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:ADDENDUM: According to RUE, page 45, you cannot even have your limbs replaced by bio-systems; they can only be replaced by other bionics...just like the ones that are currently inside your Full Conversion 'Borg.

doesn't this invalidate the (CS's?) borg retirement program? i seem to remember either seeing an entry (might have been CWC, maybe aftermath) that talked about how cyborg vetrans would have their military grade bodies removed, and replaced with a cybernetic torso and bio-system limbs...
Indeed, the CS has that retirement plan for conversion into a normal human bio-system body. Plus every mention of bio-systems replacements for mages and psychics that lose limbs. 45 is referring to that full-conversion borgs can't have bio-system limbs, the end product here is no longer a full conversion borg.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Grimlock wrote:

Sorry, but I've never heard of the Blue Fairy. It's been a while since I've read my personal Rifts catalogue. :)

Talavar wrote:You could make the case that the level 15 spell 'Ley Line Restoration' would fix a cyborg as well: it completely restores missing limbs and internal organs, and expells bionics & cybernetics.

I was thinking a bit more about this spell and it's pretty cheezy to have it restore the Borg to normal as is. Would it be more fair if the spell COULD return the Borg to normal, but costing much more P.P.E.?

Never heard of the Blue Fairy? I trust that you are unfamiliar with Pinnochio. I overlooked Ley Line Restoration in my earlier research, but I think 800 PPE, plus the other penalties, is a more than adequate cost. But in order to do this, once they find a willing mage to perform this ritual, the human parts, in my opinion, should be removed from the cyborg body, and this should be done on site.So you might need a Cyber-Doc with a mobile hospital, or remove the body parts and keep them on life suppport while in transit to the nexus point. This does not sound to me like something that could be done cheaply. Of course, afterwards, you will have a used borg chassis to sell.
Last edited by Captain Shiva on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Grimlock wrote:

Well, Ley Line Restoration comes with a permanent loss of 6d6 PPE for the spell caster, so finding a mage who likes you that much is going to be pretty rare if you ask me.
Grimlock
Explorer

Captain Shiva wrote:I overlooked Ley Line Restoration in my earlier research, but I think 800 PPE, plus the other penalties, is a more than adequate cost. But in order to do this, once they find a willing mage to perform this ritual, the human parts, in my opinion, should be removed from the cyborg body, and this should be done on site.So you might need a Cyber-Doc with a mobile hospital, or remove the body parts and keep them on life suppport while in transit to the nexus point. This does not sound to me like something that could be done cheaply. Of course, afterwards, you will have a used borg chassis to sell.

I agree 100% about the human parts being removed from the 'Borg chassis.

I know 800 P.P.E would be a lot, but maybe it's possible to cast the spell without requiring to have it cast on a nexus. I'm sure if we found other mages, Dragons, and other supernatural beings willing to pool their P.P.E to help out, the ritual could be cast without having the tactical nightmare of having it cast on a nexus/ley line.

Or we could go vampire hunting, stake 20 or 30 of them, and burn them in pyres at the same time to get a good boost. :lol:

Talavar wrote:Well, Ley Line Restoration comes with a permanent loss of 6d6 PPE for the spell caster, so finding a mage who likes you that much is going to be pretty rare if you ask me.

I've spoken to my GM about this, and I suggested to him that my character could repay for the Restoration by swearing an oath of servitude to the mage (or magical order) that returns him back to being Human. If this servitude should be for the rest of his life, the character may have to be turned over to the GM to become an N.P.C., as he would not be able to participate in adventures anymore; it wouldn't be his call anymore.

Still, I like to possibility of my City Rat turned 'Borg beginning an apprenticeship as a magician. :D
Shazam wrote:Japan or Phase world - maybe the Splurgies could help?

The Sploogs only help themselves. :lol:

mAd eAgle wrote:Hey I found something pretty cool!
Dual class into a Cosmo Knight!!!!
If you have a brain, your body should bio-regenerate if your brain still has PPE. Which it should being alive & all.
It would be extremely painful I would imagine :demon: :demon: :demon:
Good way to NOT owe anyone anything!

:eek: I'd rather be indebted to the Splugorth than to screw over the Cosmic Forge! :lol:
Now there are 4 rules.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Grimlock wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote:I overlooked Ley Line Restoration in my earlier research, but I think 800 PPE, plus the other penalties, is a more than adequate cost. But in order to do this, once they find a willing mage to perform this ritual, the human parts, in my opinion, should be removed from the cyborg body, and this should be done on site.So you might need a Cyber-Doc with a mobile hospital, or remove the body parts and keep them on life suppport while in transit to the nexus point. This does not sound to me like something that could be done cheaply. Of course, afterwards, you will have a used borg chassis to sell.

I agree 100% about the human parts being removed from the 'Borg chassis.

I know 800 P.P.E would be a lot, but maybe it's possible to cast the spell without requiring to have it cast on a nexus. I'm sure if we found other mages, Dragons, and other supernatural beings willing to pool their P.P.E to help out, the ritual could be cast without having the tactical nightmare of having it cast on a nexus/ley line.

Or we could go vampire hunting, stake 20 or 30 of them, and burn them in pyres at the same time to get a good boost. :lol:

Talavar wrote:Well, Ley Line Restoration comes with a permanent loss of 6d6 PPE for the spell caster, so finding a mage who likes you that much is going to be pretty rare if you ask me.

I've spoken to my GM about this, and I suggested to him that my character could repay for the Restoration by swearing an oath of servitude to the mage (or magical order) that returns him back to being Human. If this servitude should be for the rest of his life, the character may have to be turned over to the GM to become an N.P.C., as he would not be able to participate in adventures anymore; it wouldn't be his call anymore.

Still, I like to possibility of my City Rat turned 'Borg beginning an apprenticeship as a magician. :D
Shazam wrote:Japan or Phase world - maybe the Splurgies could help?

The Sploogs only help themselves. :lol:

mAd eAgle wrote:Hey I found something pretty cool!
Dual class into a Cosmo Knight!!!!
If you have a brain, your body should bio-regenerate if your brain still has PPE. Which it should being alive & all.
It would be extremely painful I would imagine :demon: :demon: :demon:
Good way to NOT owe anyone anything!

:eek: I'd rather be indebted to the Splugorth than to screw over the Cosmic Forge! :lol:

Well, if you stick to the wording of the spell description, it has to be cast on a nexus point.Besides, you would likely need to anyway just to get the PPE necessary. The spell only costs 400 PPE if cast by a Ley Line Walker, and they can draw 40PPE/melee round at a nexus point(double what most casters can do,) so a 15th level mortal LLW should be able to cover the PPE cost fairly easily. Now, all you have to do is find one, and persuade him to sacrifice 6d6 PPE for good.If Tolkeen is still around in your campaign, that might be the place to go, since the city of Tolkeen has 3 nexus points close by, and it lies within a civilized area. Of course, then the CS might choose that time to invade...
Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

Hello folks... been awhile since I posted on the forums.... time to get the juices flowing and pull up all that knowledge I had locked away for years....

Ok, other than what people have already said:

Lone Star has the ability to make clones, and even transplant human brains into other life forms (the latter being extremely experimental) - I believe the transplant thing is mentioned under the one "nutzo" female doctor and what she'd do to people if they pissed her off.

Archie could transplant you into a totally human looking body, but you'd still be a robot.

The Bionics book has a similar full conversion borg to the full human look (though it is it's own OCC, but hey, everything here is pretty much not by the book anyway).

Speaking of Full Conversion, I like the idea that a Full Conversion borg can be transplanted to other Full Conversion borg bodies, like CS transfered to a Russian borg, or Free Quebec, or even the crazy South American stuff, that's the fun of a Full Conversion borg if you ask me...

Atlantis has Bio-Wizardry - I'm sure they could cook something up for you, but they will Enslave you for sure lol, unless you happen to be carrying a billion credits.

Gene-Splicers, I'm sure they could cook something up too, though, most people, myself included, don't have them make "nice" things - I see them more like the Splugorth - making monsters and such - don't expect a pretty face.

cheers
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Lobotaru wrote:In all irony, it would be much easier to just kill the cyborg and then bring him back with resurrection magic, which can completely reform his body. Of course I could be mixing up my dungeons and dragons spells with Rifts... haven't been playing for a while.

You are indeed. As mentioned above, the only Rifts spell that willachieve the desired affect is Ley Line Restoration, which does not bring back a dead body, but heals it and replaces all missing parts. The resurrection spells in Rifts only bring back the body in the state it was in at time of death.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

there is a problem with using LLres.
mainly:
Grimlock wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:Bio-system replacements are another possibility. Of course this option depends on just what organs and bits are still original.

if all that is left is the brain, using LL res. is likely to be futile. without some form of active life support, the brain can only survive for a handful of seconds (in beheading, for example, your looking at about 10 seconds before brain death). so it unlikely the LLres can be completed before the remains are dead.

of course, this presumes that life in the case of LLRes constitutes mental activity, and not dependant on having a working heart or similar...

and while i don't remember the details of the spell exactly, if you have to take the squishy bits out of the borg body, it's likely the hook ups needed to protect an exposed brain and keep it living would also cause a problem.

so unless you can figure out a good solution to the brain death issue, LLres isn't going ot be a viable solution...
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

glitterboy2098 wrote:there is a problem with using LLres.
mainly:
Grimlock wrote:

if all that is left is the brain, using LL res. is likely to be futile. without some form of active life support, the brain can only survive for a handful of seconds (in beheading, for example, your looking at about 10 seconds before brain death). so it unlikely the LLres can be completed before the remains are dead.

of course, this presumes that life in the case of LLRes constitutes mental activity, and not dependant on having a working heart or similar...

and while i don't remember the details of the spell exactly, if you have to take the squishy bits out of the borg body, it's likely the hook ups needed to protect an exposed brain and keep it living would also cause a problem.

so unless you can figure out a good solution to the brain death issue, LLres isn't going ot be a viable solution...

The Temporal Magic spell, Suspended Animation might serve that purpose. But there is nothing that I see in the Ley Line Restoration Spell to preclude the use of life support equipment. Since magic and high technology coexist of Rifts earth, wouldn't it be nice to see them work together once in a while?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

the main problem i can see is that borg with just a brain left of it's organic parts, is a brain in a jar. if the jar is still around it when the spell goes off, it might cause some problems with the regrowing body.

and IIRC, if the target is inside an enviromentally sealed object, spells can't be directed at them.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

glitterboy2098 wrote:there is a problem with using LLres.
mainly:
Grimlock wrote:

Couldn't you just cast 'Sustain' on the brain first? That'd take care of most biological needs I can think of.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Go to Center on Phase World. Full cloned fast grown body replacement.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I was forced to choose between that one and the red one....
Grimlock
Explorer

Thanks for all the help, guys. You've given my GM and I a lot of awesome ideas. :D
Now there are 4 rules.
Grimlock
Explorer

ak-73 wrote:
sHaka wrote:I believe Japan offers the possibility of clone technology. Get a clone, scoop out it's brain,

Heh, what's the City Rat's alignment? :)

stick in the city rat's and voila!

Unprincipled, which means killing a clone wouldn't be too nice in his books. I'm guessing Ley Line Restoration would be the only possibility, even if remote.
Now there are 4 rules.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I wouldn't bother being a crunchy again after full conversion... I'd just have my sperm put on ice for when I wanted kids.
"Prepare to be inseminated... resistance is futile."
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Grimlock wrote:
ak-73 wrote:
sHaka wrote:I believe Japan offers the possibility of clone technology. Get a clone, scoop out it's brain,

Heh, what's the City Rat's alignment? :)

stick in the city rat's and voila!

Unprincipled, which means killing a clone wouldn't be too nice in his books. I'm guessing Ley Line Restoration would be the only possibility, even if remote.

I know the Japan book presents the clone bodies as morally dubious (and protested against), because they "kill" the clone, but any society with genetics technology advanced enough to fast-grow clones, or create genetic "blank" spare bodies could & would tweak the DNA of those clones so they don't even grow a brain at all - just a central nervous system ready for hook-up to a pre-existing brain.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

I like this. I would also probably allow it in my campaign assuming the PC had enough money for it. Just like you chip away at the flesh slowly and replace it with metal, I suppose you could reverse the procedure.

Start by replacing all the powerful, heavy metal limbs and such with lighter, smaller cybernetic parts. Then start replacing a few bionic organs with bio-systems as you are able.
I should think the whole process might take up to a year, allowing the persons body to become more accustomed to the flesh parts again. Remember the man still keeps his brain and nervous system in a full convertsion, and often needs some of his original digestive system to support those parts.
My understanding of the full conversion process is they dont replace everything at once. They do it in stages to let the body slowly adapt to the changes. Remember it even says in the book that not everyone is fit for the process. Some folks end up being partial reconstructions because thats all they can handle.

As others have said a brain transplant or consciousness transfer might actually be the easiest way.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Grimlock wrote:

Lone star might. Never underestimate the generosity of a mad scientist...just make sure you know about the strings that are attached.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Grimlock
Explorer

ak-73 wrote:Did he make sure they kept the remains of his shot-up body in a tank or cryogenic chamber? I hope so. :D

All they took to the doctors was a severed head; everything else stayed behind. :(
Now there are 4 rules.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Vrykolas2k wrote:I wouldn't bother being a crunchy again after full conversion... I'd just have my sperm put on ice for when I wanted kids.
"Prepare to be inseminated... resistance is futile."

A special place in Hell was created just for the teller of THAT joke. ;-)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

I'd also say that the Gene-splicers could do it to. Getting them to do it and not add things is the hard part.
If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Well first off, I'd like to ask how the heck your character managed to survive the process of becoming a borg when the only thing remaining of your character was a decapitated head. Other then that little detail I do believe that in Rift's Earth, unless you can somehow scrap up a very large sum of credits and find a place with the required facilities, your toon is stuck. Retro-conversion is probably the most likely way to get your character back into a living body. Just keep in mind that the max stats on the bio systems are about 20% less then the human norm.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Introduce a SPLICER HOUSE to Rifts.
They can regrow/clone him a whole new body no problem. They can even make improvements.
He might even be able to later get his hands on a Host-Armor from the Splicer House.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Daniel2112 wrote:I don't recall clone bodies being an option in Splicers. If they were, wouldn't it make more sense to clone up a body, turn it into a skin-job, THEN put the character's brain inside rather than go through the agony of skin-job conversion?

They can can clone stuff. They clone/regrow Host Armor limbs or pilots limbs all the time.
The Skin-Job you may was well say is a Biotic Sub-type. A Skin-Job has his replaced by a Cloned/Altered Stealth Skin. Sadly it is not "perfect" but he will not reject the cloned skin.

Then again, i never said, a Splicer Cloned body would appear normal either. I'm sure they can/could/and would do so.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

If he could find the Achilles facilities in South America, they may still have the technology to clone him a new body and maybe make some improvements. This is wheres a rouge scientist could really come in handy.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!

Return to “Rifts®”