D&D VS. PALLADIUM

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which is better D&D or Pallidium

D&D
21%
Pallidium
64%
Its pretty even to me
15%

Total votes: 185

Gallahan
Adventurer

Unread post by Gallahan »

I started playing Basic/Expert/Advanced D&D, so there'll always be a soft spot for it. Even played 2nd Edition. However, sometime during my first assignment in the Air Force, I sought something different, and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay -while neat- didn't fit the bill.

I mail-ordered a copy of the revised edition of Palladium Fantasy to Blytheville, Arkansas (yes, in the middle of nowhere!). It was so refreshing and fun!!!

I ran my most successful campaign, which lasted 3.5 (no pun intended) years, using the Palladium system. I LOVED the "interactive" nature of the combat. You get to parry opponents' attacks. That really makes it fun. Sure, it might make combat last a little longer, but that extra roll adds so much intensity to combat that it's well worth it. Encounters are JUICY because of that single roll.

When 2nd Ed Palladium Fantasy came out, they essentially imporved upon EVERYTHING. Witches and Palladins and Druids and --well, every class-- were so much richer, and the artwork was spectacular.

D&D might be, by corporate nature, more well funded, more extensive and more MORE MORE... but Palladium holds to its heart what is important, like the exquisite issues of early (EARLY) Dragon Magazine... Palladium holds to its heart the essence of good RPG gaming. The text is printed on black and white. The illustrations are great, yet leave enough to the imaginatioin, and not manga-overstylized (especially in the latest issues of Dungeon Mag).

On the flip-side, most of D&D us NOT bad. But they have royally pi$$ed me off by releasing 3.5 so soon after 3ed, and now 4th ed. They didn't taper off new books prior to announcing the new 4th ed. They don't care about vendors and bookstore owners and hobbyshops that ordered all the 3.5 materials that are now stale on the shelves. Palladium would not do this, in my humble opinion.

A lot of business owners AND PLAYERS just can't keep up with the constant edition "upgrades." Frankly, I like the fact that 2nd ed Palladium is the SAME game system that I played in the mid 90s. Make your money from new creative ideas, not the re-tooling of the system itself.

Anyway, in a nutshell, PALLADIUM is far richer in most all aspects and less "corporate." Palladium Fantasy is NOW what D&D was in the mid 80s. Well, at least that's the view from someone who's played both, and many different systems, since the early 80s, not to date myself. :)
"Coincidence is a glimpse into a pattern otherwise hidden."
"We live in a world of secrets. Where those secrets intersect, people die."
Gallahan
Adventurer

I started playing Basic/Expert/Advanced D&D, so there'll always be a soft spot for it. Even played 2nd Edition. However, sometime during my first assignment in the Air Force, I sought something different, and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay -while neat- didn't fit the bill.

I mail-ordered a copy of the revised edition of Palladium Fantasy to Blytheville, Arkansas (yes, in the middle of nowhere!). It was so refreshing and fun!!!

I ran my most successful campaign, which lasted 3.5 (no pun intended) years, using the Palladium system. I LOVED the "interactive" nature of the combat. You get to parry opponents' attacks. That really makes it fun. Sure, it might make combat last a little longer, but that extra roll adds so much intensity to combat that it's well worth it. Encounters are JUICY because of that single roll.

When 2nd Ed Palladium Fantasy came out, they essentially imporved upon EVERYTHING. Witches and Palladins and Druids and --well, every class-- were so much richer, and the artwork was spectacular.

D&D might be, by corporate nature, more well funded, more extensive and more MORE MORE... but Palladium holds to its heart what is important, like the exquisite issues of early (EARLY) Dragon Magazine... Palladium holds to its heart the essence of good RPG gaming. The text is printed on black and white. The illustrations are great, yet leave enough to the imaginatioin, and not manga-overstylized (especially in the latest issues of Dungeon Mag).

On the flip-side, most of D&D us NOT bad. But they have royally pi$$ed me off by releasing 3.5 so soon after 3ed, and now 4th ed. They didn't taper off new books prior to announcing the new 4th ed. They don't care about vendors and bookstore owners and hobbyshops that ordered all the 3.5 materials that are now stale on the shelves. Palladium would not do this, in my humble opinion.

A lot of business owners AND PLAYERS just can't keep up with the constant edition "upgrades." Frankly, I like the fact that 2nd ed Palladium is the SAME game system that I played in the mid 90s. Make your money from new creative ideas, not the re-tooling of the system itself.

Anyway, in a nutshell, PALLADIUM is far richer in most all aspects and less "corporate." Palladium Fantasy is NOW what D&D was in the mid 80s. Well, at least that's the view from someone who's played both, and many different systems, since the early 80s, not to date myself. :)
Gallahan
Adventurer

Gallahan
Adventurer

Gallahan
Adventurer

Gallahan
Adventurer

Gallahan
Adventurer

Gallahan
Adventurer

Gallahan
Adventurer

Gallahan
Adventurer

Gallahan
Adventurer

Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Re: easy win

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

Alejandro wrote:
lostsoul336 wrote:
Hagan Lonovich wrote:palladium is way out of dnd's league

i think you have that the other way around i.e. D&D is no match for Palladium in any way shape or form.

Except financially and popularity.

I find that is it the Crisis of Treachery that can settle this.

When the normal Palladium fans heard about this. We rallied around the flag as it were. We purchesed more books, spread the good word of Palladium, and even talk about setting up a paypal account to keep it going (and did a whole lot more to).

Now consider if Wizards of the Coast faced it's own Crisis of Treachery???

Would the fan's rally for it???
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Re: easy win

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

Alejandro wrote:
Jefram_denkar wrote:
Alejandro wrote:
lostsoul336 wrote:
Hagan Lonovich wrote:palladium is way out of dnd's league

i think you have that the other way around i.e. D&D is no match for Palladium in any way shape or form.

Except financially and popularity.

I find that is it the Crisis of Treachery that can settle this.

When the normal Palladium fans heard about this. We rallied around the flag as it were. We purchesed more books, spread the good word of Palladium, and even talk about setting up a paypal account to keep it going (and did a whole lot more to).

Now consider if Wizards of the Coast faced it's own Crisis of Treachery???

Would the fan's rally for it???

Is this a serious question? Do you honestly believe that if WotC suffered from a equally disastrous embezzlement issue that somehow it would be left out for dead?

What do you think keeps D&D alive? Do you think it's just Hasbro on the sidelines pumping money into it while it never sells?

Yes, I don't doubt for a microsecond that fans of the game would rally around to save it. It's D&D. Without it, there would be no Palladium. It's a foundation of geekdom the world over and it has such a huge market share of the RPG industry for a reason.

I love Palladium's games, I love WotC's games....but I'm also not so fixated on one as to ignore the realities of the other.

Yes it is a serious question. And yes I do think the fans would try to do something to help.

Would it be on the level of what Palladium fans did for Palladium Books???

No I do not think so.

As it is part of Hasbro and a money maker for it. Hasbro would transfer the funds to stabilize it and go from there.

What I am referring to is the level of support from the fans.

I play D&D and enjoy it.

If they had their own Crisis of Treachery, how far do you thing the fans would go???

I know a lot of players of the game who love the game but dislike the corprate issues behind the game.

People angry at the fact they keep releasing new versions for the same game in a few short years (Starwars anyone (3 versions in less then 7 years). Heck the same could be said about the upcoming D&D 4.0. (3 versions in 8 years). ) The high costs involved are another issue ($40 and $50 per book is a lot of money for the average gamer).

I would be angry and upset if D&D went the way of the Dodo and I would do what I can to save it.

(yes I do agree with you on something, saving D&D would be important).

I just know too many people who are unhappy with the way Hasbro run Wizards. That would be a point that would stop or even just limit what help they would give.
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Alejandro wrote:Factor in that Palladium is such a tiny company with such a small market share

BTW, anyone knows if there is a list of RPG campanies marked share? I mean, surely, WotC is on the firts place, but how high PB is? :?
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

I personally prefer the simplified rules and system used by palladium. it is so much easier to play. not quite as much depth to interactions, but easier and about as much fun.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

this is not really a fair poll, its on the pally boards for christs sake...
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Alejandro wrote:
mobuttu wrote:
Alejandro wrote:Factor in that Palladium is such a tiny company with such a small market share

BTW, anyone knows if there is a list of RPG campanies marked share? I mean, surely, WotC is on the firts place, but how high PB is? :?

PB regularly alternates for #3 with Steve Jackson Games. WotC holds first at around 60+%, White Wolf holds another 28-30%, the last 10 or so % is held by the remaining companies.

Well if we wanna be pedantic, that's Hasbro and CCP now, since they own WotC and White Wolf respectively :)
The ineffible GM
Explorer

Unread post by The ineffible GM »

Misfit KotLD wrote:And Mindwerks, England, the never published Triax II? I just don't see your complaint, but maybe it's just me.

Yes, there are several books to Europe, but he has a point too. There has been relatively little that moves forward the "story of the land". Juicer Uprising was the first thing to try something like that, and then the Tolkeen war, but honestly I never liked the Juicer Uprising story arc and there have been a lot of complaints about how events occurred in the Tolkeen war, mostly to the effect of "Why would so-and-so do that? Why not do this-thing-that-makes-a-lot-more-sense?"

There aren't a lot of little places that get fleshed out, except on occasion in the Rifter. Arzno for example. What if characters aren't playing in the big leagues? What if they want to wander around a city? Not much out there to help them.
"Otaru taught me that blue skies mean happiness"
- Lime, from Sabre Marionette J, episode twenty five
Pentoth
D-Bee

Unread post by Pentoth »

While I find myself liking the Palladium rules better than AD&D. (I despise d20) I have to admit I like the AD&D settings better overall. They have a feel to them that the Palladium FRPG doesn't quite capture. I can't place my finger on why it just doesn't. I do love the Rifts setting however and I do rank it up there with some of the best RPG settings of all time.
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

I am a Sci-Fi fan ever since I remember. I was born in 1952 and grew up with all the old stuff which I still like today. I read tons of sci-fi and fantasy books as much as one a day for years. I voted PB for this reason. I GM'd justa 'bout every game there is past and present. Still hold dear PB. Big Bob............ :lol:
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

Pentoth wrote:While I find myself liking the Palladium rules better than AD&D. (I despise d20) I have to admit I like the AD&D settings better overall. They have a feel to them that the Palladium FRPG doesn't quite capture. I can't place my finger on why it just doesn't. I do love the Rifts setting however and I do rank it up there with some of the best RPG settings of all time.

That's interesting to me because I feel the exact opposite about PFRPG and AD&D settings. Funny. I've tried to put my finger on why, too.

I can say though that I have had a lot of fun playing AD&D, first edition or whatever it is with the thief plucking the ruby out of the statue on the book cover.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

cb76 wrote:I have loved D&D for years, but since they have decided to release 4th edition in 2008, yet another new edition is just ticking me off, I may get the rest of the 3rd ed. books, but will not touch 4th ed.

as to the question posed: I like both, but since I like as sci-fi/fantasy crossover genre, and strongly support using as system that doesn't change every 5-10 years I voted Palladium
I have been a big fan since 1989, and I do like the current 3.5 rules.
Theres no way I'm rebuying everything again. I'll ignore 4th edition completely. They still have plenty of life left in the current rules. They still havent made a Mystara campaign setting.
This smells too much like the auto manufacturers making cars that die in 5 years. WotC is just trying to milk people for more money and I'm sick of it.

On the other extreme, perhaps the Palladium system doesnt get revamped as frequently but I think it needs to be. Rifts especially has way too many issues that never seem to get fixed. Even when they came out with the RUE we still had plenty of things left broken.

I think I'll go over to video games completely and stop worrying about it.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Corren
D-Bee

Unread post by Corren »

One thing that would make D&D cooler would be crossovers (which would give some books people hardly buy more shelf life). It’s like WoTC hates the concept; every RPG they make has to be so rules different that you have a hernia if you try to convert a character from one system to another.

Why can’t I have my gunslinger character, from d20 Modern, accidentally get sucked into a dimensional rift to Sigil without someone having a conniption? Oh, that’s right, WoTC is all about keeping fantasy and anything nonfantasy separate with no room for compromise unless you house rule and convert it all yourself.

And ‘gods’ forbid you try to have any fun bringing a high tech character to Forgotten Realms without someone going anal and making all your gear useless, without the possibility to build your own devices. It’s not like your Modern/Future character is an uneducated class-specific-primitive like the fantasy setting’s characters that have zero education beyond their classes.

Heck, that would be an interesting adventure all in itself – a scientist/engineer from the distant future has his trans-dimensional device go haywire and now he is stuck on Toril with most of his gear non functional, struggling to survive and trying to figure out what natural laws similar to his home dimension still work, and that he can exploit with machines.

Nope, don’t think about that. Its only swords and magic here, buddy. You’re screwed, and your logical way of looking at nature and than manipulating it with machines doesn’t work. Even if the laws of thermodynamics still work and you can still build mechanical machines apart from electricity, don’t even try it here. Go play Palladium if you want that kind of interesting stuff.

I always wanted to try to play a Jedi/Sith Character in D&D just cuz it sounded fun. I like crossovers. Sue me. But nope; can’t do that - the rules are too different. You can’t even bring a Star Wars character to d20 or vice versa without a migraine. And I get so tired of people saying: “Well a Jedi is roughly equivalent to a fighter/cleric/wizard, so we will just a make a character like this and call it a Jedi.” Uh, ‘no?’ That’s a fighter/cleric/wizard. A book defining a Jedi already exists. Just use that and stop doing lame multi-class builds.

Okay, my bone has been picked, and I got that off my chest. Carry on. =D
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Myrrhibis wrote:
Josh Hilden wrote:
sawg138 wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Alejandro wrote:
Necronomicus wrote:That and they need to fire whoever does the editing and hire some professionals.

That would be Kevin Siembieda....he's the final editor of every single book.

I suspect he won't be firing himself any time soon.

No, but he can get a dedicated editor too.

.........and pay for them how?

:)

Aside from the "current" problems facing PB (or for the last, say 3 yrs) - PB's editing has been inconsistent at best. Right now, a dedicated editor isn't possible - but one could come on board down the line.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they asked one or two of the board regulars, and paid them in product (like the one they edited). Maybe not even, but perhaps worth a try. I'm sure there's at least a few of us that are in the clerical field in RL as it is (and yes, I'm one of them), and would have some idea about spacing, spelling & grammar/context that spell-checking misses.

Not to mention, capitalizing the first words of sentences. I was reading the Western Empire book the other day...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
oni no won
Explorer

Unread post by oni no won »

Corren wrote:One thing that would make D&D cooler would be crossovers (which would give some books people hardly buy more shelf life). It’s like WoTC hates the concept; every RPG they make has to be so rules different that you have a hernia if you try to convert a character from one system to another. =D

A simple solution would be to go to a company that offers a mutigenre d20 system such as Green Ronin's True20.

I think WotC is much more protective of the D&D identity that they are not willing to do anything to compromise that identity.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Here's my real take on the situation:
Some of Palladium's stuff needs better editing.
That's my only real problem with Palladium games. Other than that, I love the system. If a rule isn't clear, it isn't difficult for the players and GM to come up with a definition that works... if a rule is contrary to another rule, it's easy for players and GM to vote on which rule will work in their campaigns.
I guess this thread is really about comparing Palladium Fantasy to D&D, everything else is apples to hand-grenades. So... I like Palladium fantasy better than the 3.x system because I don't have to play a human/ human-like creature. I can play a wolfen, minotaur, or even a hatchling dragon with no fuss, no muss. I don't have to wait until the party's 12th level or whatever to play something "odd". The game has its own balance without being precisely level-dependant.
This is also part of what I liked about AD&D 2nd edition, they had the "Book of..." so I had three favourite races I played: half-drow (cosmetically different than a half-elf, 90' infra-vision instead of 60' and +2 vs. spells or whatever, can't remember off-hand), Ogre Mage (max level for fighter or mage was 9th, I think, before adding in whether you're single-classed or your prime requisites for class, and you needed double x.p. to advance in level... balanced? I think so.), and minotaurs (superb fighters, can also be ranger or mage... forget the max levels and don't really feel like looking through the books for stats on the three races).
Half-drow at the time werem't considered "main-stream" or "Drizzt clones", I actually was playing a unique character... same with the other two races. All three had a lot of social problems in most of the towns we went (my Ogre Mage rarely took a form other than his own when it became available to do so... he considered it dis-honourable), regardless of whether it was a human, dwarven, elven or whatever race dominant in the region. Which made for some great role-playing. Of course, none of the groups I ever joined used the "Skills and Powers"-type stuff. "Complete Books of..." sure, hell they helped to define different types of fighter, mage or whatever from the others.
But basically, they were doing the same thing that Palladium games does from the get-go with it's different classes and skill selections. I can make a samurai-type character as easily in either system (or whatever), and not have to wonder how my character balances against another.
3.x... just doesn't have the same feel as Palladium Fantasy or AD&D (either edition). It's more like they're reaching for the dollar, kind of like TSR did about the time they changed 2nd edition into what I now call 2.5, with their Skills and Powers crap, than they are trying to put out a great game. I think 4.x will be the same, really. WotC made sure d20 inundated the market to the point the market groans under the strain of it all, now they've come up with a new system for those of us who are ready to wretch every time we see a new d20 whatever. For me, that occured after about a year.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

It's tough, but I will go with D&D in general over palladium.

Character optimization for D&D is better.

In general, you actually have a reason to look forward to your next level.

I enjoy the fact it creates different editions of itself, which (so far) have only increased the playability of the game. (I do see palladium as becoming too stagnant).

Settings, I think palladium has better settings, but D&D's Eberron setting is a very close setting.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
oni no won
Explorer

Unread post by oni no won »

Joscap wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
="joscap"Just wished Palladium would build a modern setting... like Police officer OCC, grocery Store worker OCC, etc...sounds corny but I have some great Ideas for games. Simular to Urban Archana with Palladium Mechanics.

Palladium has a ton of OCCs already. Use the base template for a psychic, that represents the Average Joe fairly well.

Talking about BTS right. Man i want that book so bad. I have almost every other game system, but I will have to wait a few months for it. DRATS!

With BTS splat books put on indefinate hold, I'm passing over especially since BTS itself is somewhat incomplete.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”