What is a match for a Splugorth?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Borast
Champion

Re: What is a match for a Splugorth?

Unread post by Borast »

Why do I have a feeling that people are thinking a supernatural / psionic / whatever entity in a suit of PA makes all of it's attacks do double to a sploog...
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Sea inquisitors inflict double damage to supernatural evil. With any weapon.

Many games ago my Crazie Sea Inquisitor Steve (no relation) beat several werewolves into submission with a 9 iron.
Then of course after a few successful MA roles they convinced him they would change their evil ways and quickly left town.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Say, I'm pretty sure that that is supposed to be any melee weapon, and I don't know that SI's can undergo the MoM conversion...

Edit: Okay, just pulled-out Underseas...it can include non-melee weapons, however, I doubt it would include a boom-gun, since it is a weapon system attached to a suit of power armour.

If you were a crazy when you started the character (if going by the OCC Skills section) you wouldn't be offered the OCC. If you started the character as an SI and went crazy...since the MoM conversion uses cybernetics, and SIs are allowed None...
End Edit
Last edited by Borast on Sun May 31, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would argue that the Boom gun isn't the Sea Inquisitors weapon but the armors weapon. No more than I would let the Inquisitor double the damage of a nuclear missile just because he pushed the firing button in the submarine that launched it. YMMV though.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

No again the book says this. A listed power used as written.

Also the crazies psionic abilities technically make it legal.

And I do not nerf a class even if I think its broken.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

no problem, just give the sea inquisitor one of the SDC weapons that deal 1dX * 100 damage (and are thus able to deal low amounts of MD).

as I recall, a recoilless rifle does something like 1d10 * 100 damage (SDC). maybe it's a d8 * 100, I'm not sure. give it to a sea inquisitor, though, and you're really gonna wreck some supernatural evil.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Exactly, but only vs supernatural evil.
Not much good against an Anarchist supernatural creature. Lol
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:No again the book says this. A listed power used as written.

Also the crazies psionic abilities technically make it legal.

And I do not nerf a class even if I think its broken.

Its not a nerf if you don't think that it says something
I am saying that it applies to weapons the person uses personally. They can not use it by proxy in any way, shape or form.

I will agree that you can have a crazy turn into a sea inquisitor (I would question the process going the other way though_
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

If the Sea inquisitor set an explosive, I would say it worked.
If the sea inquisitor hurled a borg using "the fastball special" that borg is gonna hit for double damage vs supernatural evil.
It is that particular classes special ability.

Now I'm very curious does anything else in palladium have that Destroy Supernatural Evil ability??
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

The explosive...no.
The 'borg (if dead), yes...if alive...no, it is a being, not a weapon.

Like eliakon stated - no proxies. It has to be in the hands of the SI. About the furthest I would be willing to go would be thrown weapons, and even then, a grenade would not be doubled (although I would be likely to allow a murderball's vibroblades -only do double damage).
Fnord

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I would let it ride.
Also I would start using Anarchist alignment bad guys.
Q99
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Q99 »

Svartalf wrote:Triax Fatboy? Is that from Triax 2?

Yep. It's a Glitterboy variant that's, well, fatter, and it has a double boomgun. The heavy-artillery variant.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

eliakon wrote:I would argue that the Boom gun isn't the Sea Inquisitors weapon but the armors weapon. No more than I would let the Inquisitor double the damage of a nuclear missile just because he pushed the firing button in the submarine that launched it. YMMV though.

I say that Guided/Smart/Bottled-Demon missiles would not qualify since they make their own strike rolls. But in any situation where it is the Inquisitor's bonuses being used (unguided missiles, boom gun) then the bonus should apply.

Regarding traps: if the Inquisitor is actively detonating it with a trigger, it should apply, but it shouldn't if it is passively activated by its target. Same with manually detonating C4 vs a tripwire doing it.

If one were piloting a Juicer Killer PA then shots fired by the computer shouldn't count, but they should count when he takes manual control of the system.

Same with computer auto-fire capacity on some space ships, if you happen to engage an AI or other supernatural evil (like Demon Knight) with them.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Technically, a boomgun is classed as a Weapon System on the Power Armour. Until KS canonizes it one way or the other, I will always rule that weapon systems are excluded from the SI's ability.

For traps, since they are not weapons, per-se, I will also (in my games) rule against SI influence doubling the damage.

Put the SI into a B-17's weapons blister, I'll rule the MGs do double damage.
Put him in charge of a B52's turrets, I'll rule the MGs damage does not double.
Fnord

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So while the sea inquisitor pilots the glitterboy, gains rpa basic&elite bonuses the power armors weapons don't count as the sea inquisitor, who is piloting the power armor, his weapon? ?

Lol. Really?
Reeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyyy????

My opinions and comprehension of the destroy supernatural evil abilities apply in my games.

As stated earlier this ability only applies to supernatural evil. Not supernatural selfish or Supernatural good alignments.
Imma use and gm the ability as its written.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:So while the sea inquisitor pilots the glitterboy, gains rpa basic&elite bonuses the power armors weapons don't count as the sea inquisitor, who is piloting the power armor, his weapon? ?

Lol. Really?
Reeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyyy????

Pretty much yes.

say652 wrote:My opinions and comprehension of the destroy supernatural evil abilities apply in my games.

I totally respect a GMs prerogative to do things how they want in their game. Especially areas where the rules are unclear and need a call one way or another

say652 wrote:As stated earlier this ability only applies to supernatural evil. Not supernatural selfish or Supernatural good alignments.
Imma use and gm the ability as its written.

I would beg to differ on what 'how its written' means....but I would not dream of arguing how you want to run it in your game.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Borast wrote:Technically, a boomgun is classed as a Weapon System on the Power Armour. Until KS canonizes it one way or the other, I will always rule that weapon systems are excluded from the SI's ability.

Is it? Weapon Systems "does not include hand-held weapons". You hold the handle of a boom gun to fire it in the basic model. Sure, the base is attached to an ammo drum in the back, but the same could be said of the SAMAS or Samson's rail guns. These kind of handle-held rail guns differ from the shoulder-mounted ones we see on things like the UAR-1.

I could see the argument that the Triax variant is a Weapon System though, since it is not hand-held and is computer-aimed.

Also, what if you use it separately like the lion and croc Egyptian god-giants do?

Borast wrote:For traps, since they are not weapons, per-se, I will also (in my games) rule against SI influence doubling the damage.

I don't know if I agree they are not weapons, even if there is not a WP skill about them.

Why I would except traps is more along the lines is "is the Inquisitor actively using this?"

In fact their 5th OCC ability opens with "in the hands of.." so one might even argue that it doesn't apply to thrown weapons since they are no longer in the hands. So it certainly wouldn't apply to a bomb that they are not physically connected with in some way.

I think this would mean that if they suicide-bombed with a vest, that it would double, but if they had a bomb hooked to a tripwire (or even if they manually activated it via radio signal) that it would not benefit.

There might be some ways around this though, like if you use a pull-string trigger (say you had a length of 100ft of rope attached to a bomb fuse) if you consider the bomb+rope to be a collective weapon then it would technically be in the Inquisitor's hands. They don't have to be touching the actual damaging part of the weapon (sword: blade vs handle) to affect it, just the unit itself.

If you want to get SUPER technical then you could dig into the specifics of "hands of the sea inquisitor" and say "it is the mechanical claws of the PA gripping the boom gun, not the inquisitor". That's a slippery slope though: taken to its fullest extent, this would mean you could not even wear gloves and would have to have flesh-to-flesh contact with any weapon you wanted to receive the benefit.

Borast wrote:Put the SI into a B-17's weapons blister, I'll rule the MGs do double damage. Put him in charge of a B52's turrets, I'll rule the MGs damage does not double.
Can't recall what book these are in.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Tor wrote:
Borast wrote:Technically, a boomgun is classed as a Weapon System on the Power Armour. Until KS canonizes it one way or the other, I will always rule that weapon systems are excluded from the SI's ability.

Is it? Weapon Systems "does not include hand-held weapons". You hold the handle of a boom gun to fire it in the basic model. Sure, the base is attached to an ammo drum in the back, but the same could be said of the SAMAS or Samson's rail guns. These kind of handle-held rail guns differ from the shoulder-mounted ones we see on things like the UAR-1.

I could see the argument that the Triax variant is a Weapon System though, since it is not hand-held and is computer-aimed.

Also, what if you use it separately like the lion and croc Egyptian god-giants do?

First, as I said, technically, since according to the write-up, there is no trigger, you only hold the handle. The computer appears to fire it, and I remember reading somewhere that you can also fire the gun with voice command.
The SAMAS railgun, the pilot actually pulls the trigger.
The Samson's railgun is built into the armour...I'd flip a coin to decide, but I'm leaning towards weapon system.
For the Gods, WP... After all, they are handling it as a rifle.

Tor wrote:If you want to get SUPER technical then you could dig into the specifics of "hands of the sea inquisitor" and say "it is the mechanical claws of the PA gripping the boom gun, not the inquisitor". That's a slippery slope though: taken to its fullest extent, this would mean you could not even wear gloves and would have to have flesh-to-flesh contact with any weapon you wanted to receive the benefit.

No, as long as it is actually in their physical hands...gloves or not. Most PA, from what I've seen in the books, the wearer's hand is in the PA's hand.

Tor wrote:
Borast wrote:Put the SI into a B-17's weapons blister, I'll rule the MGs do double damage. Put him in charge of a B52's turrets, I'll rule the MGs damage does not double.
Can't recall what book these are in.

Your History Book. They're bombers. :)
The B17, the gunner was in the cupola. The B52, the gunner sat at a weapon station in the fuselage and used a joystick. The SI's ability is not Long Distance Dim Mak.
Fnord

tytalan
D-Bee

Unread post by tytalan »

Okay you all have failed Palladium games 101
The answer is simple and the Splugorth's fear it
THE MECHANOID's
Q99
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Q99 »

Yea, but that takes a lot of them.

Hm... Midgard Serpent! With it's anti-regen bite, it's one of the best choices for anti Anti Intelligence/God.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

tytalan wrote:Okay you all have failed Palladium games 101
The answer is simple and the Splugorth's fear it
THE MECHANOID's

Yeah.....but since the question was what creature is individually a match for a Splugorth......

Q99
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Q99 »

Of course, a Mechanoid Mothership technically is *a* mechanoid ^^
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Q99 wrote:Of course, a Mechanoid Mothership technically is *a* mechanoid ^^

Okay, we can add that to the list then (I guess....it is unclear if it can function at a combat level with out its symbiotic crew...but for the sake of discussion its fine.)

Return to “Rifts®”