Finish The Land of the Damned for [MODERATED] Sake

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

collosus

Finish The Land of the Damned for [MODERATED] Sake

Unread post by collosus »

Just a request... nothing personal :-D
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

It helps if you read the rules before posting.

SPAM

Just what is SPAM? It is an acronym, short for Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages.

There are many kinds of spam, though none of them are wanted on the boards.

One type is the worthless posts that have but one sentence and explain nothing. Please note the key word explain. If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree is a waste. If the thread starter wants that simple of an opinion, he may start a Poll.

Explicit/Illegal/Offensive Material

Foul language will not be tolerated unless all letters of the word are replaced by substitute characters. If you would like to censor a word, use symbols to cover it up completely. That means every letter must be masked. For example, $#!^ is acceptable. $h!t is not. In no way should there EVER be letters or numbers used. Please do not engage in prolific foul language use, such as "#*()$% ^!*()# *^() it all to #@**," regardless of covering up the entire word. In other words, do not be excessive. If it takes that many symbols to cover up what you need to say, just don't bother saying it.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Its not spam if we all agree it should be done. :-P
:fool:
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

and whatever he did write i would not have found offensive :lol:
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

The problem with Palladium Books finishing the third in the Land of the Damned series of source books, is that Bill Coffin is no longer with the company. And he was the main motivating force for most of the resent releases of palladium fantasy source books.

They way I understand it, and it was explained to me by a very reliable source was there was some kind of falling out and disagreement between Kevin Siembieda and Bill Coffin. It has to do with the power level of the Land of the Damned books, Kevin thought is was too overpowered and needed to be revised, and Bill was unwilling to concede to this and make any changes or something along those lines. Basically artistic differences.

So now that Bill is gone nobody else has yet stepped up to the plate and taken the lead for working on Palladium Fantasy. I also don't think palladium is accepting any new game submissions other than rifter stuff.

Rifts is the main bread winner for PB so Kevin seems to be pretty focused on that. And on Beyond the Supernatural, for some reason that is beyond me? I personally don't understand it. I think BTS is a pretty boring game setting, but each to his own?
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

Land of the Damned was too powerful? I never noticed, really...
I mean, it is a forbidden realm of rampant magic, demons, undead, and well, whatever was supposed to be in the final book.

Might've been worse...the same guy who wrote the RIFTS South America books could've had his name on the cover...
Remember who you wanted to be.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

LoD is very powerful, but too powerful? Not for what it is supposed to be, I don't think. As long as no future PF book comes out where somebody decides to try and top the LoD, I'd say it's golden. I'm all for people dying trying to get there, it's the part of the world the gods cut off. It shouldn't be a cakewalk.

I can understand there being some issue with finishing a book about The Citadel... I mean, can it ever really cover the true nature of the place? The Citadel, from what descriptions I've seen, is like the Palladium of Desires. Infinite possibilities in a world that defies the laws of physics, logic, and sanity. For all I know, the Palladium of Desires may BE the Citadel (the PoD was lost to depravity and such, right?). They're both part of the original campaign, and we don't have enough info about either to really nix the idea. I kinda like the Citadel itself remaining unknown.

That said, I want the book. Now. Yesterday. A year ago!
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Northern Hinterlands has a map showing where the PoD used to be. Devil's Mark isn't there, but could still be a part of it all. Hard to say.
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Yes, Yes. I too am looking forward to this book...forever it seems. The first two were great. The way my players eyes light up with an almost despair when I grab for either of these 2 books is worth the price alone.
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
LunarYoma
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LunarYoma »

i just want the info on the minotaur nation
Lunaryoma
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

J. Lionheart wrote:Northern Hinterlands has a map showing where the PoD used to be. Devil's Mark isn't there, but could still be a part of it all. Hard to say.

Could you refreash my memory and provide the page number?
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Page 182, top right.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Too powerful...?

The Land of the Damned should be too powerful. It's the Mordor of the Palladium Realm.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Rpgpunk
Explorer

Unread post by Rpgpunk »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:Too powerful...?

The Land of the Damned should be too powerful. It's the Mordor of the Palladium Realm.

Exactly!
ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

I too am looking forward to this book. I have that sickening feeling that we may never see it though. If we do, will it have the same 'feel' as the first two?
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

If anyone here pre-ordered it you have Doom's sympathy...

Wait no you don't.
It's Palladium!
You should have known better. :thwak:

:D
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Dr. Doom v.3.1.4 wrote:If anyone here pre-ordered it you have Doom's sympathy...

Wait no you don't.
It's Palladium!
You should have known better. :thwak:

:D

Yeah, pretty much.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

In this day and age the only product you can preorder and get with almost 100% certainty is the Harry Potter books. It's one of the few times the post office will ship it to your house on a weekend.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.

Unread post by Guest »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:Too powerful...?

One does not simply Dual-Wield into Mordor.

What about a Catapult?
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

I pre-ordered my Ultimate Gold, but that's 'cause they're riding the future of the company on Ultimate, so it's pretty much going to come out no matter what.
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

Speaking of pre orders. What happens if the book never comes out? Do they get their money back? Or is it lost in a torrent of legal theft? I personally refuse to order a book that has less then a 90% chance of actually being completed. Sadly Palladiums record is less then inspiring.
ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

I think the credit card isn't charged until the book is shipped.

Company riding on Ultimate rifts? I doubt it.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

ghost2020 wrote:I think the credit card isn't charged until the book is shipped.

Company riding on Ultimate rifts? I doubt it.

Correct: They don't charge it until it comes out (Ultimate Gold being the exception).

You're certainly right that I'm exaggerating about the importance of Ultimate to the company's future, but it's certainly the most major, high publicity, big release product they've done in a while.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

I want, no: I need that book!! We will start a LoD-Campaign soon...

boy, I'm I fed up with all this.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

My outlook on PF books being released is well known by anyone that's been around these boards for a while- It aint gonna happen.

Face it, no matter HOW hard they preach to us, KS doesn't care. RIFTs brings in the money, RIFTs gets published. PF doesn't get published, so it doesn't get money, which means they won't publish it.

With Billy-Bob (thats Bill Coffin for those of you to recent here to remember the days of AXy) gone, PF has no champion. We can gripe all day long, and nothing will happen. Trust me, we've been griping about the Old Kingdom books for HOW many YEARS?! And still nothing! How about MrNexx's Mysteries of Magic book? That has vanished as well.

Face it, if you play PF, you have two options:
1) deal with whats been published.
2) Buy RIFTs materiel, and convert it over.

Don't plan on seeing any new PF books until about.. oh...Summer of 2050. If then.

--
GS
:bandit:
I'm not just the president of the "I wish KS would get down on his knees and grovel and beg for Bill Coffin to return and take control of Palladium Fantasy" club, I'm also a member!
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

As to Ks finding Bill's work too powerful. I have only one thing to say. RIFTS.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

CJ had some coments on Rifts,

and Kev had some more coments on CJs job

He basicaly nerfed everthing CJ did and then he turns around and sudgests that the GMs nerf things some more.

eh
冠双
Lord_of_Discord
D-Bee

Unread post by Lord_of_Discord »

I never saw any problem with CJ's work. Kept in there content, ther'es nothing overpowering about them. It's when ppl take the stuff and do what they want with it that mess everything up.

Phase weapons on Rifts earth? Sure why not?
Silverhawk PA? Here ya go!
You want to be a Hundred-hand Invincible Guard Cosmo-knight? !?!
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Lord_of_Discord wrote:I never saw any problem with CJ's work. Kept in there content, ther'es nothing overpowering about them. It's when ppl take the stuff and do what they want with it that mess everything up.

Phase weapons on Rifts earth? Sure why not?
Silverhawk PA? Here ya go!
You want to be a Hundred-hand Invincible Guard Cosmo-knight? !?!

I agree. It all depends on what the players do with them. If you have a group who will not go insane with the tech available to them then it`s not overpowering.

As for the C.J. stuff being overpowering, Kevin had and still has the final say on what gets published or not. He allowed it. Despite his attempts to wash his hands of the affair.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Warpig
Wanderer

Unread post by Warpig »

I Agree, I don't think that the LotD could possibly be too powerful, you should be a minimum of a 10th level character with top notch equipment gaze upon it's foul land. I agree completely that it is the Mordor of PFRPG. It is the Blight from the wheel of time series, put into PFRPG. Perverse mutations of supernatural evil intelligences have made this thier home. no one goes in, no one talks about it, it is so powerful that i'm sure that village women tell children stories to scare them into behaving.
It is an unspoken evil, as well as the final frontier on the Palladium continent. It is literally and unimaginable hell which exists on the same plane as the rest of the Palladium world as far as I see.
Warpig
Wanderer

Unread post by Warpig »

further...I think to get a better idea, going with the LOTR theme here, think of the LotD as Mordor as Boromir describes it in The Fellowship of the Ring: "one does not simply walk through the black gates into Mordor...the great eye is ever watchful, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume most foul...Not with 10,000 men could you do this..."

just emphasizing again that the LotD isn't too powerful, I think it would be cool if there was more to it like RIFTS Africa has the 4 HorseMen of the Apocolypse where they are so powerful that every such-and-such amount of years they return to unite and destroy the world, so hence the need for the "Gathering of Heroes".
It would be cool if the LotD had something like this in that so many Demon's/Undead/supernatural evil beings are spawned in the LotD that every 100 or 1000 years a massive army of them spills out of a gap in the mountains and have to be met and driven back (gethering of heroes theme) before they can get out and destroy the world.

Unread post by Guest »

I just had to add this.

"One does not simply Dual Wield into Mordor."

"What about a Catapult?"
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Edge wrote:I just had to add this.

"One does not simply Dual Wield into Mordor."

"What about a Catapult?"
only if you can dual weild them
冠双
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

ghost2020 wrote:I too am looking forward to this book. I have that sickening feeling that we may never see it though. If we do, will it have the same 'feel' as the first two?

Actually it will probably have the exact same feel as the first two. Kevin edited the first two and he will be the editor on the third. As for the power levels ... I've seen the original manuscripts ... too powerful ... Kevin edited the first to to tone down the power levels and change a lot of stuff to make it work better, he will do the same with the third (this one just need quite a bit more than the first two), but never fear the third will come out, of this I have no doubt.
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Magestaff wrote:If Kev could write it would make all of us PFRPG nuts VERY happy!

Whoa now Magestaff....Speak for yourself. That would NOT make all of us very happy. In fact, it could very well be the straw that breaks the proverbial camels back, for some of us. After all, if he has the time to sit and write that, then doggonit, he better be working on OK instead. After all, we were waiting first, and have been promised it a LOT more than the LoD3.

Second of all, heyyas Maryann, long time no see.

Third of all... too powerful?!?!? Its the LAND OF THE DAMNED!!! This is a place where demons and deevils battle it out constantly, where the gods sealed away people and creatures that were too evil for the outsidse world! Too powerful!??! How is that possible?!?!??!!?

--
GS
:bandit:
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Looks like it is ;)
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I don't care which book comes out. I'd just like to see a damn book.

-Vek
"That's a damn book. Not a Land of the Damned book."

Unread post by Guest »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I don't care which book comes out. I'd just like to see a damn book.

-Vek
"That's a damn book. Not a Land of the Damned book."

Yeah, might want to be more specific.

We want to downplay the LotD:3 book, and reinforce the fact that we will purchase the Old Kingdom books.
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

poison dwarf wrote:the land of the damned is the place where GMs should hand stupid characters (the ones who want to go there) their heads on a silver (or gold if they prefer that) platter... and if theyre reasonable players they'll thank the GM for ONLY handing them heads back on a platter :D

Yes beacuse the rest of it becomes animated dead.. :)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”