lifespan nano Pleague going off planet

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Given the fact that they dont replicate, the answer isnt forever. Hoever, given what little info we have about them and what inferences can be made based on modern tech, it could very easily take far longer than the human lifespan to cleanse a body. At the very least, I'd say it takes years (probly a decade or more) to cleanse a human after rifting out of Splicers. It takes a lot less time for any biotect they might bring with them to stop functioning (months at best, more often weeks).
demos606
Hero

You forgot to mention spells/psionics have half their normal effects for double the cost and meditation is at a third of normal speed(half for psychics). Magical and psychicly endowed beings are well advised to just stay away from the Splicers reality. Also, no ley lines, nexi, places of power or anything else to provide extra mystic potency. Something with anti-tech inate powers though......

As for your idea about the Free Quebec factory idea, p13 of Splicers might be of particular interest.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

On this particular topic: Does this apply also to Mutat Animal Psionic? They don't need ISP to work and does not sdeem to be affected by Lay Lines too so I think they will work normally into the Megaversal "hole" that is Splicer Planet( limit this to the planet, the universe is big and each universe does have its black holes)
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

We aren't really ever told the lifespan of the nannites or if they can replicate themselves.

Considering that no atter how many people are born, they all have the nannites within them, I would say the nanites are self replicating.

Which means, theoreticalyl, if someone from the Splicers world stayed on Rifts Earth long enough, some of the nannites would replicate and becoem native to Rifts Earth. Those nanites would also replicate and so on, eventually spreading like a disease through the entire planet.

The CS would be so screwed . . .
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
demos606
Hero

Page 13 Jeffar, the whole Crossing Dimensions section deals with how the nanites can't replicate and how to deal with them in an environment other than Splicers.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Oh sure, go and ruin my fun . . . *pout*

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

demos606
Hero

Thats ok, I'll make up for it :) While it's noted that the Splicers world isn't a rift hotspot like Rifts Earth, it is possible to rift in and out. What happens if a rift out becomes permanent? Perhaps a rift that say a stream runs into and the fish in the stream can swim thru...
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

That's more like it. :demon:

demos606
Hero

Notice I said 1 way rift in my scenario, good luck knowing where the problem started. I see my scenario more as a way to completely destabilize any region it happens in than anything else because everyone will suspect everyone else of being responsible while (rightly) denying responsibility themselves. Ultimately you get the entire region embroiled in mass warfare as they all try to eliminate their favorite enemies then turn on their allies when the problem doesn't go away.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Anyone consider that the nanites have a low power capacity and recharge by using broadcast power?

As for all the can't do those psionics stuff.

Care to explain why a non-ISP/PPE psionic power wouldn't be able to function? The books don't say anything about it. Most often it isn't really a psionic power but simply akin to a dogs ability to sense an approaching storm or earthquake. You saying that wouldn't work is like saying the super ability of flight wouldn't work because it's kind of like levitation but doesn't require ISP. Think of it this way all TMNT/ATB mutants use the same system to build as does Splicers if a mutants "psionic" powers don't work neither would the bio-radar that the HA have.

The Nightbane with Lightning Rider, Program Computer and A.I. skills doesn't need that much time. Remember it moves at the speed of light.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Anyone consider that the nanites have a low power capacity and recharge by using broadcast power?

Interesting.

But if i was the machine I'd have them recharge off the victim's own bio-electrical energy.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jefffar wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Anyone consider that the nanites have a low power capacity and recharge by using broadcast power?

Interesting.

But if i was the machine I'd have them recharge off the victim's own bio-electrical energy.

The nanites are even new to the machine I doubt they'd be able to place a converter in them capable of doing that... then again it is for flavor and since when do things in game have to be logical.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
demos606
Hero

Zer0 Kay wrote:Care to explain why a non-ISP/PPE psionic power wouldn't be able to function? The books don't say anything about it. Most often it isn't really a psionic power but simply akin to a dogs ability to sense an approaching storm or earthquake. You saying that wouldn't work is like saying the super ability of flight wouldn't work because it's kind of like levitation but doesn't require ISP. Think of it this way all TMNT/ATB mutants use the same system to build as does Splicers if a mutants "psionic" powers don't work neither would the bio-radar that the HA have.

The Nightbane with Lightning Rider, Program Computer and A.I. skills doesn't need that much time. Remember it moves at the speed of light.

Costless doesnt mitigate working at half effect for half the duration. Psi powers would work within the confines of the description given on p167 for anyone(thing) rifted in from outside. A Nightbane would probly be more interested in getting off the world than in destroying anything though.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

demos606 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Care to explain why a non-ISP/PPE psionic power wouldn't be able to function? The books don't say anything about it. Most often it isn't really a psionic power but simply akin to a dogs ability to sense an approaching storm or earthquake. You saying that wouldn't work is like saying the super ability of flight wouldn't work because it's kind of like levitation but doesn't require ISP. Think of it this way all TMNT/ATB mutants use the same system to build as does Splicers if a mutants "psionic" powers don't work neither would the bio-radar that the HA have.

Costless doesnt mitigate working at half effect for half the duration. Psi powers would work within the confines of the description given on p167 for anyone(thing) rifted in from outside. A Nightbane would probly be more interested in getting off the world than in destroying anything though.

OK first the powers granted to animals for a mutated natural ability are LIKE not exactly a psi power. A dog will always have a superior sense of smell. A cat will be able to keep it's ballance. A dolphin will have sonar. All psionic LIKE abilities that would cost them nothing. The book simply uses the psionic powers to give animals the abilities they naturally have... or seem to.

A Nightbane would probably try to get out of Splicers EXPECIALLY since in Splicers Nightbane should remain SDC as should dragons and any other supernatural creatures as it is supposed to be the high PPE of Rifts that makes them MDC. However learning that their search is futile what better way to make their life easier than to eliminate the freaking machine the easiest way it knows how. Reprogram it, and do that the easiest way they know how. From the inside.
demos606
Hero

For animals, an enhanced version of what they can do anyway (dogs sense of smell, cats balance) I wouldnt treat as a psi power anyway. No matter how freakishly strong the ability is, it's still a natural ability. For stuff like danger sense/precognition, probly limited to the ability to feel impending natural events as thats wired into their basic physiology.

The rest of the Mutant Animal and Supoer Powers (not allow in my games so a nonissue for me) it would be a case by case basis. Most likely however, the majority of Super Powers would work unaltered since they're neither psionic nor magical in nature and should be treated as natural abilities.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

demos606 wrote:For animals, an enhanced version of what they can do anyway (dogs sense of smell, cats balance) I wouldnt treat as a psi power anyway. No matter how freakishly strong the ability is, it's still a natural ability. For stuff like danger sense/precognition, probly limited to the ability to feel impending natural events as thats wired into their basic physiology.

The rest of the Mutant Animal and Supoer Powers (not allow in my games so a nonissue for me) it would be a case by case basis. Most likely however, the majority of Super Powers would work unaltered since they're neither psionic nor magical in nature and should be treated as natural abilities.

I'd still give the dogs and cats sixth sense because of their heightened hearing and the cats vibration sense and the dogs superior olfactory capabilities combine to allow them to tell when something is in the area. Also animals are more empathic than humans... at least domestic pets are.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

I agree wiht Zero Kay.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."

Return to “Splicers®”