The Skeptic/Debunker Campaign

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

The Skeptic/Debunker Campaign

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

The non-rational thinkers on this board will despise me for this idea, but...

I was thinking that it might be fun to run a game in which the paranormal doesn't really exist (or at least as far as the player characters know). It'd involve a group of ordinary people (with paranormal professional jobs) as skeptics/debunkers who go around disproving frauds, hoaxes, and charlatans (ala James Randi). False psychics, "legendary" monsters made of plywood and paste, and "ancient" artifacts made in the garage last week would abound. It would focus around mystery-solving and scientific inquiry, but I would probably keep the (slim) possibility of real paranormal elements (psi, magic, and so forth) existing. I'd probably also throw several guys in ghost or monster costumes at the meddling kids, as well. :D

I'd let this debunking campaign go on for quite a while...then hit them with something completely, utterly horrible, something designed to drive their rational minds to the brink of insanity.

Come to think of it, it's probably better done as a Call of Cthulhu game rather than BtS. :D
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: The Skeptic/Debunker Campaign

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Or do the reverse, and have a party of characters who believe in the supernatural, but who constantly encounter guys in rubber suits and other fake monsters/phenomena... :)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

Atramentus wrote:Seriously, I could handle that for a couple sessions but then I think I'd get bored. It takes a lot more thought to fake things.

Not particularly.

You not only have to make it believable, but also have to come up with the failings, and keep them from being discovered too early.

So in other words, exactly the same as any other campaign? :D
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”