New Weapon Idea.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

New Weapon Idea.

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

A backpack-mounted Mini-Missile Launcher, that can fire vollies of missiles and not just one at a time. Say a fire rate of 1, 2 or volley of 4(6 maybe). A total ammo capacity of about 16 and has a weight of 35 pounds, an MDC of say 35 and a base cost of about 3-to-5 times the cost of the WI-23 Mini-Missile Launcher. I think it's time the weapon manufacturers finally realized that the infantry needs a volley-capable missile-system too! What do you think? Fair? Folly? A Maybe?
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

I like but 16 mini misisssiles seem alot..
I'd got volleys of up to three and put 9 missiles in it..just make it easy to reload and maintain.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Rimmerdal
Knight

You could even make MOS out it..Like Smartgunners were in the Aliens movie..
taalismn wrote:

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

"JUST SHOOT THE BACK PACK!!!!"

Roll jup a new charater. See you next week.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

I think it's time the weapon manufacturers finally realized that the infantry needs a volley-capable missile-system too! What do you think?

I think that triax already did realize this.

they produce the TX-M4 Mini-missile launch pack. It's in the triax book and the GMG. IIRC it's about 30 lbs and carries 4 missiles, which can be fired all at once or one or two at a time.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Rimmerdal
Knight

Then make it a Infantry power armour. something like a mini spartan from robotech...
taalismn wrote:

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Kalinda beat me to it.

There are also back pack mounted weapons for the Arkhons (South America 2)
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Rimmerdal
Knight

WHile were on topic of weapons..

That drill-bit grenade in erasure (the one used in the part..) is there a rofts equal..(MDC or otherwise..)

Other Ideas I thought about:

HE throwing knife (hits stays in goes BOOM)

A suit like the firebat...

Vibro-Throwing stars

railgun pistol..for those times when you need stealth and Death dealing thru armour
taalismn wrote:

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

That drill-bit grenade in erasure (the one used in the part..) is there a rofts equal..(MDC or otherwise..)

Been a while since I've seen that, but a drill needs to anchor to something stationary otherwise it jsut spins round and round. This one might take a bit of work

Why not jsut use an impact fused grenade?

Enlighten me please

Vibro-Throwing stars

In rifts Japan i think

railgun pistol..for those times when you need stealth and Death dealing thru armour

A stealth weapon that creats a sonic boom? Why not just use a laser which has a minimal firing signature?

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Rimmerdal wrote:A suit like the firebat...

The Starcraft Firebat? Take some Plastic Man armor, paint it red, and add a flamethrower.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Rimmerdal
Knight

Well, now all but the drill bit grenade are things I should have known...

Okay then the drill bit greade was an egg shape and had the bits in it. after timer went they filled the rom with bits (they could have been nails..not sure now.)

as for the knife the handle could be replaced with a bomb...so someone WP knife can throw it..(probably already done..)
taalismn wrote:

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

I say 12 Missiles with vollies of 2,3, or 4 (you need four to get the "no dodge bonus") with a Weight of 50 lbs. Fully loaded & 26 lbs.empty. Launcher is a light MDC structure that uses a porous ceramic to dissipate heat from launch (similarly to today's Space Shuttle and reentry heat, though much stronger its MDC) though it is very brittle and will shatter if hit with more than 4 points of MDC impact damage but is immune to damage from plasma and heat of all sorts for up to 500 MDC of heat damage (within one minute it dissipates heat quickly) then the unspent rockets will blow in the tubes.

Make it disposable with different prepackaged missile set ups like this:

-all Plasma
-all Armor Piercing
-all Fragmentation
-Half & Half, Usually Plasma and Armor Piercing 50%, plasma/frag 25%, & AP/frag 25%
-4 of each

and no matter how you load it it cost 50,000 credits.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Rimmerdal
Knight

Thinyser wrote:I say 12 Missiles with vollies of 2,3, or 4 (you need four to get the "no dodge bonus") with a Weight of 50 lbs. Fully loaded & 26 lbs.empty. Launcher is a light MDC structure that uses a porous ceramic to dissipate heat from launch (similarly to today's Space Shuttle and reentry heat, though much stronger its MDC) though it is very brittle and will shatter if hit with more than 4 points of MDC impact damage but is immune to damage from plasma and heat of all sorts for up to 500 MDC of heat damage (within one minute it dissipates heat quickly) then the unspent rockets will blow in the tubes.

-all Plasma
-all Armor Piercing
-all Fragmentation
-Half & Half, Usually Plasma and Armor Piercing 50%, plasma/frag 25%, & AP/frag 25%
-4 of each

I take it is mounted on some armour to protect the wearer from the heat as well? or Am Iassuming to much here?
taalismn wrote:

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Rimmerdal wrote:
Thinyser wrote:I say 12 Missiles with vollies of 2,3, or 4 (you need four to get the "no dodge bonus") with a Weight of 50 lbs. Fully loaded & 26 lbs.empty. Launcher is a light MDC structure that uses a porous ceramic to dissipate heat from launch (similarly to today's Space Shuttle and reentry heat, though much stronger its MDC) though it is very brittle and will shatter if hit with more than 4 points of MDC impact damage but is immune to damage from plasma and heat of all sorts for up to 500 MDC of heat damage (within one minute it dissipates heat quickly) then the unspent rockets will blow in the tubes.

-all Plasma
-all Armor Piercing
-all Fragmentation
-4 of each

I take it is mounted on some armour to protect the wearer from the heat as well? or Am Iassuming to much here?

Good asumption but not necessarly a MUST to wear armor...and its not mounted to anything.

If you are an MDC Creature then you have no worries as the propellent in the mini missiles is only poduces SDC heat (in my opinion).

The pack would certainly be desinged to direct the exaust gas away from the wearer though as the rocket leaves the top it would be right by the head of the wearer and as such you would probably take a bit of SDC fire damage if you werent wearing a helmet of some sort...unless there was a thin piece of flexible MDC plastic in the top of the pack that one could pull up over their head and down in front to cover their neck/head/face.

Though who in their right mind would run around a battlefield without armor on?!?!
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Rimmerdal
Knight

Though who in their right mind would run around a battlefield without armor on?!?!

Newbs who think Psychic body shield is armour?

Actually I'd be in a suit designed for the pack..It holds missiles and enhances stregth to carry the pack. Maybe add a radar system and com suite...but that just me.
taalismn wrote:

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Rimmerdal wrote:

Newbs who think Psychic body shield is armour?

Actually I'd be in a suit designed for the pack..It holds missiles and enhances stregth to carry the pack. Maybe add a radar system and com suite...but that just me.

makes it alot more expensive than just 50k for the pack

Rimmerdal
Knight

Make them seperate items...the armour can go solo as a com-suite and mobile Radar.
taalismn wrote:

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Rimmerdal wrote:
Okay then the drill bit greade was an egg shape and had the bits in it. after timer went they filled the rom with bits (they could have been nails..not sure now.)

Sounds like a rather ineficcient home made fragmentation device to me

Rimmerdal wrote:as for the knife the handle could be replaced with a bomb...so someone WP knife can throw it..(probably already done..)

And how is this better than a grenade?

Rimmerdal
Knight

Simple, he has to crouch or base himself before firing... :D
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

The Drill bit Grenade:
Never said it was perfect.....but it is quieter than a granade..

The Knife bomb:
someone with a WP knife can use with bonuses and it looks like a knife, not a grenade..!
taalismn wrote:

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Rimmerdal wrote:WHile were on topic of weapons..

Vibro-Throwing stars

vibro throwing stars are in Rifts Japan. Rail GunPistols are in Phase World.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Rimmerdal
Knight

Rail GunPistols

Really, wow! this game has everything a Player could want except for chick magnetism.....that is.
taalismn wrote:

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Okay, how would it be quieter? Last time I checked a drill bit was heavier than a conventional grenade fragment, requiring much more power to propell at a wounding velocity. A more powerful explosion would also be a louder explosion.

And how would you get enough drill bits into the grenade to get a decent fragmentation density to give you good odds of wounding without making it too heavy to throw? Most frag grenades I know of have at least 100 pre-formed fragments.

Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Kreuzritter Puuh wrote:Well maybe a refrig it was but here is a demonstration of a grenade vs a Washing Machine which while slightly less massy then a refrig gives the idea of a grenade going off withen a few feet of someone.

You should see one go off in a car trunk :D The enclosed space amplifies the explosion by compresion of expanding gasses. Sadly there not nearly as impressive out in the open. :(
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Rimmerdal wrote:WHile were on topic of weapons..

Took me a second to realize you were talking about the grenade from Eraser.

It's called a 'Bouncing Betty', although the drill bit part I'm sure is probably a Hollywood variant. Not sure if there's an equivalent in RIFTS.

Don't know if this has been answered further down the thread or not. :D
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Rimmerdal wrote:
Rail GunPistols

Really, wow! this game has everything a Player could want except for chick magnetism.....that is.

Erm... I met (re-met, really) my current girlfriend during a RIFTS game...

:D

"Two words, Tick: Chick...Magnet..." - Die Fledermaus
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Danger wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:
Rail GunPistols

Erm... I met (re-met, really) my current girlfriend during a RIFTS game...

:D

"Two words, Tick: Chick...Magnet..." - Die Fledermaus

Go man :ok: my wife games also.
Rimmerdal
Knight

The grenade cold use nanobot and miniturized gear...for higher grade variant...Bouncing betty's, meaner tougher big sister.
taalismn wrote:

Return to “Rifts®”