Novelty weapon question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Unread post by Guest »

It wouldn't necessarily do MDC damage. Just because an object is MDC doesn't mean that it inflicts it. In fact, I'd say that it's more likely not to inflict MDC on it's own, without some aid. A reasonable amount is maybe 1D6x10 SDC, + PS damage, give or take a dye type.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Illithid13 wrote:1d6 MD...
What about his P.S. Bonus to MDC Damage..?
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

probablly be the same as the giant's in New West's war clubs.

1d6 MD + SN PS hand to hand damage

so with SN PS 24 a total of 3d6 MD
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Depends on the relative size of the wrench. If it's a big wrench that probably takes 2 hands to use, I'd say 2D6 If it's a relatively normal sized wrench (to scale of course) I'd say 1D6. Also don't forget that Minotaurs being giants get an extra 1D6 out of weapons made to their scale weapons.

I thinkt he Operator class lists tools as weapons damage.

MDC or SDC damage depends if the Minotaur is generating MDC or SDC muscle power behind the blow. Don't forget to add the punch damage behind it.

Oh, there are breaking rules somewhere, but it's something like if you do 3x the maximum damage that the weapon alone could dish out, you have a 1-25% chance of breaking it.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

I'd make a Mace Like Man-at-Arms had in the MOTU series..just bigger and but some cutting lasers in it for distance weaponry...
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Rimmerdal
Knight

He could still have his giant wrench...just for fine work the mace would work.

Hey ya...Vibro-Knives have little field generators. us a lot of them or just a REALLY bigone..

Put vibration resitant hand and pound till your hearts content...
taalismn wrote:

Unread post by Guest »

cornholioprime wrote:
Illithid13 wrote:1d6 MD...
What about his P.S. Bonus to MDC Damage..?

Sigh...I thought it was understood bonuses to P.S. are only to S.D.C. There are not bonuses to Mega-Damage with with your strikes, even if you have supernatural strength. A supernatural P.S. of 24 would inflict 2D6 M.D. on a regular punch (double that for power punch), + 9 s.d.c. damage. But because the strike is most likely to a MDC enemy/structure/target, the bonus to that is basically ignored. It isn't 2D6 M.D. + 9 M.D.C = the attack total. A wrench being nothing other then a mega-damage construct would not inflict mega-damage on its own. At most, being wielded by a SN strength person, it might add between 1d4 m.d. to 1d6 m.d. However, it should be normally limited to S.D.C. damage when being wielded by robotic or superhuman strength characters.
Mudang
Adventurer
Comment: life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

Unread post by Mudang »

I believe the rule is that you do either the weapon's damage or your supernatural strength punch damage. Although, some weapons like the xiticix and cosmo knight weapons add on to your supernatural punch damage.

Unread post by Guest »

Mindcrime wrote:Although, some weapons like the xiticix and cosmo knight weapons add on to your supernatural punch damage.

Yes, you're correct. There are certain items and such that allow one to add their P.S. bonus to mega-damage attacks. However, they are exeptions to the rule, not a standard concept for all weapons wielded by Supernatural Strength.
Mudang
Adventurer

Unread post by Mudang »

Res Sin Kai wrote:
Mindcrime wrote:Although, some weapons like the xiticix and cosmo knight weapons add on to your supernatural punch damage.

Yes, you're correct. There are certain items and such that allow one to add their P.S. bonus to mega-damage attacks. However, they are exeptions to the rule, not a standard concept for all weapons wielded by Supernatural Strength.

Actually, those weapons add their damage to one's punch damage. The ps damage bonus is always applied to melee weapons, it's just that unless your strength is over 115 it's still just going to be an sdc bonus.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Actually there is no clear rule on whether you add your Supernatural Strength damage to MDC weapons. It seems that later books suggest you do add your punch damage to the weapons damage. I think it makes perfect sense, however I do not let Xiticix or any non-magic, non vibro weapons do MDC unless they are in the hands of someone who is supernaturally strong.
So in this instance I think the giant wrench would only do MDC in the hands of the minotaur or another supernaturally strong being.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Mudang
Adventurer

Unread post by Mudang »

grandmaster z0b wrote:Actually there is no clear rule on whether you add your Supernatural Strength damage to MDC weapons. It seems that later books suggest you do add your punch damage to the weapons damage. I think it makes perfect sense, however I do not let Xiticix or any non-magic, non vibro weapons do MDC unless they are in the hands of someone who is supernaturally strong.
So in this instance I think the giant wrench would only do MDC in the hands of the minotaur or another supernaturally strong being.

Are you referring to the damage bonus or to punch damage? If I've read correctly, you can add your damage bonus to any melee weapon, but it will still just be a negligible sdc bonus.

As for punch damage vs weapon damage, you do one or the other unless it specifically states that you add them.
Rimmerdal
Knight

:D
taalismn wrote:

Unread post by Guest »

Illithid13 wrote:<sigh> here we go again... :frust:

Refering to going by rules of the book? Then yes, it goes once again.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Novelty weapon question

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Zerebus wrote:And here's the question: exactly how much damage should such a gimmick do?

Whatever damage the character's Supernatural PS punch inflicts.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Mindcrime wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:Actually there is no clear rule on whether you add your Supernatural Strength damage to MDC weapons. It seems that later books suggest you do add your punch damage to the weapons damage. I think it makes perfect sense, however I do not let Xiticix or any non-magic, non vibro weapons do MDC unless they are in the hands of someone who is supernaturally strong.

Are you referring to the damage bonus or to punch damage? If I've read correctly, you can add your damage bonus to any melee weapon, but it will still just be a negligible sdc bonus.

As for punch damage vs weapon damage, you do one or the other unless it specifically states that you add them.

I'm referring to adding the punch damage, and the later books do suggest that in general you do add punch damage and weapon damage together. Earlier books say you take whichever is higher, which makes no sense at all. A dragon in human form doing the same damage with a punch as smacking you with a vibro sword? :-? huh?

I'm not saying this is canon, I simply play it the way that makes the most sense to me. In fact with dragons I add the listed "claw" and "bite" damage to the supernatural strength damage. That way if it's in human form it would do 5d6 (or whatever) but once it turns into dragon form it would do 7d6. At least that makes them more formidable in their true form.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

grandmaster z0b wrote: the later books do suggest that in general you do add punch damage and weapon damage together. Earlier books say you take whichever is higher, which makes no sense at all.

The book that says you take whatever is higher is the GMG.
Where's it say that you add them together...?

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

grandmaster z0b
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote: the later books do suggest that in general you do add punch damage and weapon damage together. Earlier books say you take whichever is higher, which makes no sense at all.

I know the Xiticix world book says that Xiticix weapons add punch damage and I think I remember a passage inferring (not stating) that this is the way it should be done. I suppose the GMG would supersede that.

As I said though I know it's not strictly canon but that's the way I play it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

grandmaster z0b wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I know the Xiticix world book says that Xiticix weapons add punch damage and I think I remember a passage inferring (not stating) that this is the way it should be done. I suppose the GMG would supersede that.

As I said though I know it's not strictly canon but that's the way I play it.

Actually, you do get to add your supernatural punch damage to xiticix weapons. The GMG description of the weapons says so.
:)

The xiticix weapons are all kinds of messed up.
Yet they're canon...

Return to “Rifts®”