MDC to SDC: taking out MDC

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

One thing to keep in mind is that the S.D.C. stats given for tanks in the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons would be converted to their M.D.C. equivalents in Rifts. So a 1200 S.D.C. tank would have 12 M.D.C. in Rifts. Also, the weapons that inflict over 100 S.D.C. from a single shot will damage an M.D.C. structure. So a tank cannon that inflicts 3D4x100 S.D.C. will inflict 3D4 M.D. in Rifts. These values are still very low compared to Rifts equipment, but this is because contemporary tanks can be blown up by a laser pistol from Rifts in a few shots.
Rifts Mercenaries has rules for refitting contemporary vehicles with Rifts M.D.C. armour, which gives the tanks around 150-250 M.D.C. The ammunition can also be upgraded with Rifts explosives so a tank cannon or missile can inflict 5D6 or 1D6x10 M.D. The refitted tanks are still at a disadvantage aginst most Rifts power armour or robots, but they are relatively inexpensive (you can buy 5 or 10 refitted tanks for the price of a suit of power armor), and if they outnumber their opponents they can inflict considerable damage.
Last edited by Devari on Thu May 05, 2005 3:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

If you don't like the M.D.C. system, I think a 10:1 ratio works well for converting M.D.C. to S.D.C. This still gives Rifts power armour and robots an advantage against contemporary vehicles (a SAMAS would have 2500 S.D.C. for example), which makes sense considering that they use technology that is 80 years in the future. I personally think the M.D.C. system and the 1:100 ratio is very realistic for the type of tehcnology in Rifts, although a 10:1 ratio generally works well to keep everything relatively balanced if you want to convert everything to S.D.C.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: MDC to SDC: taking out MDC

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

tallon wrote:Ok, so I have this really cool book... The Compendium of Contemporary Weapons (I'm sure some of you have heard about it ;) ), and I'd like to be able to use all these cool weapons in Rifts.

But they all do SDC... which makes them close to useless. I'm not fond of MDC (atleast the 100:1 ratio), so I figured I'd just adjust MDC down, maybe even take it outentirely. Then all these weapons would still be usefull.

But, do you see any reasons it would be good or bad to simply turn all MDC into SDC (no changes in actual values, so 100 MDC is now 100 SDC)? Or perhaps MDC:SDC 2:1 ratio?

MDC could be taken out entirely, and then put an AR onto all armor. SDC would have much lower AR compared to MDC armors in general, with the best constructed armor having the best AR.

Thoughts? Opinions? Could either of these ideas stand up, or would another idea be better?

-tallon

People do nerf down mega-damage all the time and it works for them.
I think it's lame.
If you want to use the Compendium of Contemporary weapons to flesh out your Rifts game, go on and do it... I have.
All you have to do is to run a low-powered game, where most of the opposition is SDC or low-powered MDC opponents.
Or take your game into Vampire territory, where you can load those CoCW weapons with silver rounds.
Or get ramjet rounds for the PCs to put in their guns.
Or you could even say that some company on Earth has figured out how to make those 1d4 MD bullets from Mutants in Orbit or Robotech.

But Mega-Damage is an intregal part of the game. Half of the fun and challenge of the setting is that if the average human is hit by even 1 MD, he's extremely dead. The godlike ability of a single CS Grunt makes the setting more interesting, and more challenging.
What's the point of high-tech weapons, robots, and power armor if an unarmored human has a chance to survive?Nerfing the damage throws things out of whack.
If you drop MD down to a 2:1 ratio, then a Crazy or Juicer stands a decent chance of surviving a hit by a Boom Gun, for cryin' out loud!
That's just not right.

And the AR system is seriously messed up. Don't even get me started.

I'd suggest you read the section in Rifts Mercenaries that covers Golden Age Weaponsmiths refitted vehicles and modify things from there.
Most of the point of Rifts is that old technology is obsolete; keep things that way.

Oh, and what are your players looking for in a game? What type of characters do they like, and what type of adventures do they like?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

You do realize it's utterly innae to rewrite an entire system just so you can use one book with it that was never intended to work with that system to begin with, right?

here's an idea, if anything change that book to rifts, NOT vice versa.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

tallon wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:You do realize it's utterly innae to rewrite an entire system just so you can use one book with it that was never intended to work with that system to begin with, right?

I'm not a fan of MDC. I think it's *too* powerful with the 100:1 ratio. SO I was planning on changing it anyway for my game. Since I like that book, and I'm already wanting to change the MDC:SDC ratio, why not make both work at the same time?

But hey, you guys seem to overwhelmingly dislike (hate?) the idea. So I'll take it elsewhere.

thx

I'm willing to discuss it, though.

Why do you dislike megadamage?
And how do your players feel?

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I've been working with a slightly more complex, but more functionally realistic system at the same time. I added a step between SDC and MDC at the level of 100 SDC = 10 EDC (Enhanced Damage Capacity) = 1 MDC.

Then I put all the "personal level" MDC things as EDC. This includes 'Borgs, Power Armour, Body Armour, light armoured vehicles, most d-bees, creatures of magic, supernatural beigns and anti-personel weapons.

So yeah, that M1A1 with 12 MDC and a gun that does 3D4 MDC can't hang with a 1st century PA Main battle tank, but it's attacks are ding 3D4x10 damage to infantry and their laser rifles have to work on 120 points of armour.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

tallon wrote:I dislike MDC because I feel it's too much. I don't like the concept, either.

Dislikes:
100:1 ratio
the fact that non-explosive SDC items, even if they can do more than enough to damage an MDC object can't. Ever. (correct me if i'm wrong in that).
That it makes many PC's (especially ones new to good roleplaying) not want to get out of their armor.

common mistake. it's why it's good to read EVERY WORD in a section. I say this because the second part is a common mistake.

in the rifts main book, it says that while a cummination of SDC attacks will never harm MDC (like a 9mm. handgun) a single massive SDC attack will. any explosion or attack that does 100 SDC will do 1 MD. the formula works in reverse.

so a LAW roket which does 1d6*100 SDC will do 1d6 MD.

a large stack of TNT can kill people in armor.

I think they could have handled it in a way better than they did. Becuase of MDC, almost everything in the world (worldbooks, anyway) are all MDC. In that case... why even have SDC? I also prefer a grittier feel. Right now a lone CS soldier can walk into a town and take it over. He might as well be a god. Of course, he'd have to not let them catch him with his armor off, but still.

simple......your not required to USE any of it....palladium has stuff like the compendium of modern weapons to cover all SDC stuff, why rehash it in rifts? just give the new stuff.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mudang
Adventurer
Comment: life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

Unread post by Mudang »

I'm pretty sure there's a machine gun out there that fires bursts that do 7d6X20. That would put the GB's boom gun to shame using only a 2:1 ratio.
Mudang
Adventurer
Comment: life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

Unread post by Mudang »

tallon wrote:
Mindcrime wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a machine gun out there that fires bursts that do 7d6X20. That would put the GB's boom gun to shame using only a 2:1 ratio.

Are you seriuos?! :shock: :!:

I went back and read over it, and it wouldn't put the boom gun to shame. The .50 caliber machine gun does 7d6x20, but only on a full melee burst.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:You do realize it's utterly innae to rewrite an entire system just so you can use one book with it that was never intended to work with that system to begin with, right?

Just because he's adjusting the system to something you don't like does not make it inane. Rewrite an entire system? Yeah it's really hard;

1 MDC = 10 SDC
EBAs AR= 23
PA AR = 30

Whoa! I just rewrote an entire system, it was really hard and quite inane. :-?

You don't even have to include AR if that's too much work/hassle. The fact is you don't like it and you've made that very clear, why don't you contribute something useful instead of accusing people of being inane because you don't agree?

As far as realistic goes, MDC body armour is not realistic except in the form of PA, robots and vehicles. It doesn't matter how hard or high-tech you make body armour the person inside will never be immune to 50 cal rounds or a baseball bat. The concept that someone in simple body armour could take a LAW and only lose at most 10% of their body armour is ridiculous.

The stupid problems with damage in Rifts are a direct result of MDC. Originally 1d6 MDC was quite a lot because a pistol did the same damage as a LAW, and I think KS used damages from Robotech and high end SDC gear as a comparrison for damage. He didn't want to give anything more than 1d6x10 MDC because compared to a LAW or a 50 cal it was ridiculously powerful. However he should have just compared the damage of weapons to the damage capacity of armour. The weapons in the Compendium of Modern Weaponry are much more realistic as a vehicle's weapon does a lot more than an infantry rifle. MDC should have been the same. By reducing MDC to 1:10 then everything starts to resemble a more realistic system again, that way I can also up the damage on vehicles and it doesn't become stupid.

I suppose the end result of the way I do MDC is similar to Jeffar's except instead of introducing EDA, I just lower MDC overall and up the damage capacity and weapon damage of vehicles.

I'm not saying that my way is better only that it's a valid option and in some ways is more realistic. That's not saying realistic is better or anything.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Scooter the Outlaw
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Scooter the Outlaw »

Although I have yet to play a game with it, the idea of dialing down MDC is interesting, if for no other reason to make O.C.C.s and R.C.C.s that get a load of S.D.C. bonuses worthwhile. But it also creates it's fair share of problems, especially with high-end S.D.C. weapons suddenly doing colossal amounts of damage (like those Ramjet rounds from Rifts Mercenaries).

1:5 always seemed like a pretty good ratio for the dial-down to me, if you're going to do it at all. Personally, though, I've never liked A.R. so I'd want to think of an alternative for that.

If you want to play Rifts in a grittier setting with lots of S.D.C., I recommend an Australia campaign. S.D.C. is the norm and the M.D.C. powers are rare, isolated, and hated by all. If you can get an e-clip in Australia, you're a very lucky person... so if you want to play a game where both damage scales are pertinent, World Book 19 is perfect.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

tallon wrote:I dislike MDC because I feel it's too much. I don't like the concept, either.

Dislikes:
100:1 ratio

It's the only ratio that conveys the sheer power of mega-damage weapons. It makes the scale of things clear; every 1d6 of MD is the same as a LAW rocket blast.

But you could try nerfing things down to a lesser level, like 50:1 and see how that works. No need to drop things lower unless you have to.
The closer you keep the ratio to the original, the closer the game will resemble Rifts.

the fact that non-explosive SDC items, even if they can do more than enough to damage an MDC object can't. Ever. (correct me if i'm wrong in that).

Just house-rule that bursts that do more than 100 SDC inflict mega-damage. So if somebody fires off a full clip from an AK-47 and does 120 SDC, then they've managed to inflict 1 MD on the target.

That it makes many PC's (especially ones new to good roleplaying) not want to get out of their armor.

Impose penalties for sleeping in their armor.
Also, if they're in any sort of potential combat situation, they shouldn't want to get out of their armor.
Seriously, if you had a bulletproof vest and you were in a potential combat situation today, would YOU want to get out of your armor?

I think they could have handled it in a way better than they did. Becuase of MDC, almost everything in the world (worldbooks, anyway) are all MDC. In that case... why even have SDC?

The MDC rules are NOT the cause of the prevalence of Mega-damage in Rifts; that's due to crappy writing. In the main book, SDC was supposed to be the standard for most of the world; anybody with ANY mega-damage capabilities was supposed to be pretty rare (this is part of what made PCs exceptional).
You don't need to get rid of MDC; just make it a lot more rare. This will give you plenty of room to use the stuff from the CoCW... that's all most places might have.

I also prefer a grittier feel. Right now a lone CS soldier can walk into a town and take it over. He might as well be a god. Of course, he'd have to not let them catch him with his armor off, but still.

What's wrong with that?

I'd rather have them have real worries.

Them who?
What worries do you see them currently having that aren't "real"?

Which is why I think a ratio of 10-1 is better, and allowing SDC weapons to do damage, if they do over 10. Maybe 5-1, I dunno. Hell, I wish everything wasn't nuclear powered so player characters would have to fuel their metal beasts. Would make them respect PA and such a lot more.

Don't let them start with nuclear vehicles then.
You're the GM.

As for my players, they'll go with the flow. I once wanted to do a game with bringing everything down to SDC, like a 3x ratio. They were excited, but school came and well... it's been years now and we haven't tried it. As far as they are concerned, as long as they are playing in the Rifts world they are happy. They've never really had bad experiences being SDC because most things we've dealt with are all MDC anyway. So they really don't care either way.

Have them make a party of all vagabonds or SDC characters from other games, or even Rifts OCCs that have lost their Mega-damage gear before the game even starts.
Then run a low-powered campaign on Rifts Earth, where they don't even run into mega-damage enemies for a while... and when they do, make it low-powered MDC enemies that can be taken out by LAWs or tank cannons or whatever.

And when they DO get mega-damage gear, make sure that they pay for all their ammo and repairs (SB1 has tables for this).

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Mindcrime wrote:
tallon wrote:
Mindcrime wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a machine gun out there that fires bursts that do 7d6X20. That would put the GB's boom gun to shame using only a 2:1 ratio.

Are you seriuos?! :shock: :!:

I went back and read over it, and it wouldn't put the boom gun to shame. The .50 caliber machine gun does 7d6x20, but only on a full melee burst.

Actually, the .50 Caliber Browning Heavy Machinegun in the Compendium does 1d6x10+10 SDC per shot.
So the damage for it would be:
Short burst: 1d6x20+20
Long Burst: 1d6x50+50
Full Melee Burst: 1d6x200+200

At a 2:1 ratio, then the Boom Gun would do 3d6x20 per single shot.
So the Boom Gun could do 60-360 per attack, and the Browning could do up to 100-350 per attack.
Really, I'd take the Browning because it has more fire options and a better minimum damage.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Devari wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the S.D.C. stats given for tanks in the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons would be converted to their M.D.C. equivalents in Rifts. So a 1200 S.D.C. tank would have 12 M.D.C. in Rifts. Also, the weapons that inflict over 100 S.D.C. from a single shot will damage an M.D.C. structure. So a tank cannon that inflicts 3D4x100 S.D.C. will inflict 3D4 M.D. in Rifts. These values are still very low compared to Rifts equipment, but this is because contemporary tanks can be blown up by a laser pistol from Rifts in a few shots.
Rifts Mercenaries has rules for refitting contemporary vehicles with Rifts M.D.C. armour, which gives the tanks around 150-250 M.D.C. The ammunition can also be upgraded with Rifts explosives so a tank cannon or missile can inflict 5D6 or 1D6x10 M.D. The refitted tanks are still at a disadvantage aginst most Rifts power armour or robots, but they are relatively inexpensive (you can buy 5 or 10 refitted tanks for the price of a suit of power armor), and if they outnumber their opponents they can inflict considerable damage.

WRONG!! a M113 Lynx can be penetrated by a 7.75mm round. A Bradly can also be damaged by SDC weapons even an M1 by explosive munitions that are listed as SDC.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: MDC to SDC: taking out MDC

Alzandrion wrote:
But, do you see any reasons it would be good or bad to simply turn all MDC into SDC (no changes in actual values, so 100 MDC is now 100 SDC)? Or perhaps MDC:SDC 2:1 ratio?

Other than the fact that you are reconfiguring the very fabric of the megaverse, and rewriting some 40 Palladium books worth of rules...you should have no problem.

Those weapons better be well worth your efforts. I think you're better off adjusting the guns' damage than the rest of the world.

Alz

Two letters and a word. DU and Ramjet. Hey there is always the Universal Legion's I-beam tech. or packing the head with some K-HEX.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

I've always been opposed to the idea of converting to a strictly SDC system because it makes things way too unrealistic. Classic example from past topic of this nature: Take a M1A1 Abrams tank and pit it against Cub Scout troop 285, all armed with their trusty Swiss Army pocket knives. Who wins? Why Troop 285 of course because they can swarm on the tank's body to avoid being hit with a frag round, cut anyone who pops out the top to ribbons attemtping to use that Ma-Duce up there, and then jab away at the Abram's Main Body till they knock it out of commission. Even if the tank has an Armor Rating of 19 the thing will eventually fall to the little tikes. Is that rediculious and absurd? You bet! But that's what you get with a strictly SDC system. MDC has it's place in keeping things like this from ever happening. And since the super-tech body armor and power armor avaiable in the time of Rifts is suposed to offer the protection levels of a tank, then in that context it gives the game the proper intended perspective how how advanced things have gotten.

But if you insist on toying with an already functinal system, then I can offer you two alternatives that nerf the lethality of the game and make SDC weapons less so obsolete and ineffectual: The Three Teir KDC System, and the HP/MD System. Either of which can be used in conjunction with, or separate from each other.

Normal Palladium rules use two levels of damage, them being SDC and MDC. In the Three-Tiered system there is a third imposed between them called KDC, (short for Kilo Damage Capacity). KDC armor and KD weapons fall between the two extremes of SDC and MDC using a 10:1 damage ratio v SDC and a 1:10 damage ratio v MDC. Being the middle value of protection and damage, its main place is on the individual level of high-tech small arms, all body armor, light to medium power armor (with "heavy PA" being defined as being so big they require fully mechanical arms and legs), and small/light vehicles (car-sized or smaller). As it relates to the paranormal, only true creatures of magic (like dragons) and those that have supernatural Physical Endurance get to keep their MDC standing. All others are demoted to KDC. This also reflects on the level of damage they inflict by SN Strength and special attacks. No points or die values are changed when converting from MDC to KDC, nor are any ratios applied. For example: a suit of Explorer EBA that had 80 MDC now has 80 KDC.

When using SDC weapons against KDC constructs or beings, they inflict only a tenth (1/10th) their rolled damage. And against MDC constructs or creatures, SDC does absolutely nothing, (with the possible exception of really big explosions as before). KD level attacks do ten times (X10) the rolled damage against SDC targets, but only a tenth (1/10th) against MDC ones. MD attacks do the previously normal times one-hundred (X100) against SDC, but only times ten (X10) v KDC level resistance. This makes it possible for a guy with a rusting AK-47 to have a chance against an opponent in advanced EBA, but makes heavy armor like Glitter Boys and Abolishers immune to SDC fire. It also solves the age-old problem of vehicle weapons being too under-powered. Note: All missiles and explosives are
mega-damage.

As for Magic and Psychic Powers, due to the magic rich environment of Rifts Earth, all their effects are at the Mega Damage tier. Mechanically speaking, this greatly off-sets the low number of attacks (casting speed) for Magic, and off-sets the low damage levels ascribed to Psionics.

Here's another idea I came up with to nerf the unbalancing effect of the MD System, without actually giving up the MD System. Mega Damage makes sense to me in a super sci-fi setting like Rifts and Chaos Earth. Hand held directed energy weapons should have the punch of a modern day LAW missile and beyond. However, I do recognize that from a game balance point it is more than a little discouraging to have your character taken out with a single low end 1D6 MD shot due to him not being allowed to wear armor 24/7.

My solution is thus. Personal SDC is representative of the amount of raw physical damage a person can take before serious injury is inflicted. It is a static stat that typically never changes after a character has been made, which is realistic. Hit Points on the other hand are something else altogether. You start with your base value, your P.E. stat +1D6, which is representative of how much mortal damage your character can take before coma and death sets in. This value increases by +1D6 every experience level a character gains. But normal people do NOT get more resistant to cuts and bullets with experience. To think otherwise is to make your character "more than Human", which they are not, (for the most part).

What I submit to you is that all Hit Points above and beyond the character's Physical Endurance stat do not represent his ability to take damage, but instead to avoid being damaged! As such that 4D6 SDC from a Glock 21 .45 ACP, that normally goes straight to the Hit Points, doesn't actually inflict blood-splattering damage for the most part, but instead shaves off that much of the character's ability to avoid damage, (at least for as long as those points above and beyond the PE part of the HP last). As such, I suggest that the same principle be applied to the Mega Damage weapons, point for point to a limited extent. All HP in excess of a character's PE should be allowed to double as personal MDC.

Example: Say you have a 5th Level character with a PE of 14 and has thus far added 18 points to his HP for a total of 32 Hit Points. Those core 14 Hit Points from his PE is his actual Flesh and Blood which can be damaged on the usual SDC scale. Chew in to them and he's a hurtin' unit! But those additional 18 points are more abstract in nature, representing his ability to avoid damage. If he were shot at with a 2D6 MD Laser Pistol, with no MDC protection on his person, and the opposition rolled a successful hit, then the resulting attack would first have to contend with the character's ability to avoid the damage first before it could actually touch him. If for instance a 9 MD were rolled for the laser, that would only take off 9 of his 18 avoidance natured Hit Points, not 900. Once the avoidance based HP have been taken out, then the normal MD to SDC damage ratio of 1:100 kicks in, and not a single point before. In addition to this, the same rule should be applied to those in MDC Body Armor. If their EBA is breached, they should still have those avoidance-based Hit Points in reserve to potentially save their lives.

One other thing regarding this optional house rule. Some characters like Juicers and Crazies get some serious OCC bonuses to their base amount of Hit Points. These should be counted as flesh and blood HP in the name of fairness and game balance. Only Hit Points gained through Experience and that first level +1D6 gim'me should be counted as the damage avoidance kind of HP.

Note: If also using the KDC rules, they too are applied on a 1:1 basis.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Devari wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the S.D.C. stats given for tanks in the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons would be converted to their M.D.C. equivalents in Rifts. So a 1200 S.D.C. tank would have 12 M.D.C. in Rifts. Also, the weapons that inflict over 100 S.D.C. from a single shot will damage an M.D.C. structure. So a tank cannon that inflicts 3D4x100 S.D.C. will inflict 3D4 M.D. in Rifts. These values are still very low compared to Rifts equipment, but this is because contemporary tanks can be blown up by a laser pistol from Rifts in a few shots.

WRONG!! a M113 Lynx can be penetrated by a 7.75mm round. A Bradly can also be damaged by SDC weapons even an M1 by explosive munitions that are listed as SDC.

Wayne Breaux has officially said that the tanks become MDC structures on Rifts Earth.
So SDC attacks that can penetrate currently penetrate modern tanks cannot do the job on Rifts Earth.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

grandmaster z0b wrote:

Just because he's adjusting the system to something you don't like does not make it inane. Rewrite an entire system? Yeah it's really hard;

1 MDC = 10 SDC
EBAs AR= 23
PA AR = 30

Whoa! I just rewrote an entire system, it was really hard and quite inane. :-?

You don't even have to include AR if that's too much work/hassle. The fact is you don't like it and you've made that very clear, why don't you contribute something useful instead of accusing people of being inane because you don't agree?

As far as realistic goes, MDC body armour is not realistic except in the form of PA, robots and vehicles. It doesn't matter how hard or high-tech you make body armour the person inside will never be immune to 50 cal rounds or a baseball bat. The concept that someone in simple body armour could take a LAW and only lose at most 10% of their body armour is ridiculous.

The stupid problems with damage in Rifts are a direct result of MDC. Originally 1d6 MDC was quite a lot because a pistol did the same damage as a LAW, and I think KS used damages from Robotech and high end SDC gear as a comparrison for damage. He didn't want to give anything more than 1d6x10 MDC because compared to a LAW or a 50 cal it was ridiculously powerful. However he should have just compared the damage of weapons to the damage capacity of armour. The weapons in the Compendium of Modern Weaponry are much more realistic as a vehicle's weapon does a lot more than an infantry rifle. MDC should have been the same. By reducing MDC to 1:10 then everything starts to resemble a more realistic system again, that way I can also up the damage on vehicles and it doesn't become stupid.

I suppose the end result of the way I do MDC is similar to Jeffar's except instead of introducing EDA, I just lower MDC overall and up the damage capacity and weapon damage of vehicles.

I'm not saying that my way is better only that it's a valid option and in some ways is more realistic. That's not saying realistic is better or anything.

Why not just use the AR given to Mechanoids EBA?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Wayne Breaux has officially said that the tanks become MDC structures on Rifts Earth.
So SDC attacks that can penetrate currently penetrate modern tanks cannot do the job on Rifts Earth.

Wow so Tanks that were simply SDC steel and kevlar which could be penetrated by small arms fire are now impervious to all small arms fire? Cool! I'm going to build a ferrari out of kevlar instead of fiberglass and take it to Rifts!

Return to “Rifts®”