Brave New Wormwood: Preview thread

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Brave New Wormwood: Preview thread

Unread post by Guest »

The begining of the article. Should give you all a taste of the piece's tone and content. Readers might want to copy and paste it into a word document for easier reading. Again let me know how it makes you feel. Enjoy.

Introduction
When Erin Tarn arrived on Wormwood, she became the first Earthly visitor in nearly three thousand years. However, she was only privy to a relatively small area of this unique world. Being one half the size of Earth, Wormwood has a diameter of 6,378 kilometers (and the maps of the world as found on pages 39 and 155 represent about one-quarter of the planet). Her travels took her from a starting point near Battle Star, to the city of Cathedral Stronghold (where she seems to have spent less than a day), then north once more to the Free City of Worldgate. All in all, she spent six months on the Living Planet and traveled through only one kingdom.

Readers of her book, “Wormwood; a Distant World” may then be inclined to think that the conflict on the Living Planet is straightforward and two sided; the Cathedral versus the Unholy and his evil minions. Had Ms. Tarn elected to stay longer on Wormwood, she would have found that there are, in fact, many more facets to the war, and its complications run very deep. There are many divisions on Wormwood that stem from differing religious, philosophical, and moral interpretations. And the Cathedral, while mighty, is but one kingdom amongst several.
Here then is a look at the people and places beyond the borders of the Cathedral, and of the long and complex history that is tearing this world apart as much as it offers a distant, distant hope.

The History of The Great Tribulation

“…So leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down today,
Nothing gold can stay.”

- Robert Frost

Part One: The Sundering of the Realm

There are many books, scriptures, and scrolls that claim to tell the true history of Wormwood, and the dawning of the Great Tribulation. They differ wildly in their accounts. However, there is one text that is considered to have a greater credibility than many others: The Lamentations of Etsocalt.

“Lamentations”, as it is more commonly called, chronicles the onset of the Great Tribulation, and was most likely penned about 900 years ago. Certainly it is written in the English of the time, which is heard now only in ceremonies within the Churches of Light. Of its author we know little. Researchers in Cathedral Stronghold have uncovered papers that place Etsocalt within the court of Emeron, the Western King, and there are documented claims that he died in Stone Finger at the ripe old age of 210! How this can be true is a matter of debate. The average life expectancy on Wormwood is about 65.

“The Lamentations” is a fascinating and depressing read. But as a guide to understanding the religious and political divisions on Wormwood, it is essential. Over its length, it tells of how the world was divided up, how the once universal Church of Inner Light became split, and how the Unholy arose from Wormwood’s most noble house to bring an Age of darkness and strife.

So it came to pass in those times that Khaimeron, the Great Emperor of the United Realm, called before him all his Royal Court. And he laid before him a large tapestry, upon which was drawn a map of the Realm. And he said to all of those assembled, “Let it be known that on this day, I shall divide my Empire into three equal parts. And unto each of my children will I bequeath a Dominion. For I no longer wish to rule over the peoples of Wormwood, but choose rather to pass that task unto my progeny. For they are young and strong, and the Light burns bright in them, and therefore shall I give up the throne, and reside in Charun the rest of my days.”

Then called he before him Emeron, his first-born. And laying his hand upon him said, “Emeron, thou art my first born, flesh of my flesh. In you do I most see the passion to rule over men. Henceforth shall you be known as the Western King, and Charun shall be your Dominion; from Lalibela in the north, to the walls of the Free City, west from Skelosia to the mountains in the east.” And he did give him then the Kidoc, the Scepter of Wormwood, first of the three symbols of office.

To his second son, Avylos, he gave Mayvoc, which is also called the Orb of Wormwood. And handing it to him, thus did Khaimeron say: “To my second son, the first of my twins, do I say that truly you are of two minds; for you were born unto me being both first and second. In you do I find most a man who has achieved balance, and mastery over affairs of the Spirit. Go ye now unto the Far East, into the Domain of Ezud, and dwell ye there in the great city Cenyaw, whose shining spires shall sustain you and your subjects in the paths of the Light. Build ye mighty walls and battlements, and ensure above all else, that the Light presides over your people.”

So Avylos took the Orb of Wormwood, and prepared to go into the east, which is called Ezud.

Then finally did the Emperor turn unto his only daughter, Dasellis, second of his twins, but foremost in his heart. And he did give unto her Abendzul, the Crown of Wormwood, saying “Lastly do I bestow upon my only daughter a mighty crown, and title to all the lands of the South. For she is like a maiden of the elder times, strong and noble, and wise beyond her years. May she live long and happy days in Stronghold, and may her children and subjects know naught but peace until the end of days.”
And when he had spoken all this, and announced his sequestration, did he present to the court the new rulers of Wormwood: Emeron, Avylos, and Dasellis. And a great cheer went up from the assembled hall.

Lamentations I, 1-6

The problems began over 1000 years ago. In that long-past and distant time, there was only one kingdom on Wormwood; a vast and powerful empire commonly called the United Realm. It’s domain stretched over a full third of the planet, and included the lands now claimed by the Cathedral. The capital of the United Realm was Charun, and the Emperor ruled from beneath the unsurpassed glory of the domed palace. The Realm was at peace, and the people knew nothing of hunger or hardship.

Then, quite suddenly, the last of the Great Emperors, Khaimeron I, decided to turn control of the land over to his three children. The Realm was divided into three Dominions, and each child received one of them. His eldest son became King of the West; a territory that encompasses what is now the Dark Domain (see Wormwood, pg. 155). His second son became ruler over Ezud, a vast flat land to the east. And the final territory, which today is called the Kingdom of Light, was handed over to the Emperor’s only daughter, Dasellis. Furthermore, Khaimeron took the three symbols of the Realm (the Crown, the Orb, and the Scepter), and again, gave one to each child.

At first, no one saw anything wrong with Khaimeron’s decision to retire early, unprecedented as it was. The royal court applauded the action, and everyone cheered that this would mark the beginning of an even greater age. Everyone, that is, save one man; Lord Hurcae Reorith.

Yet there was one among them that was sore displeased. For he alone in all that throng could see the inherent carelessness of Khaimeron’s plan.
And Lord Reorith did stand forth, and called the crowd into silence saying, “Be my manners undone when the Emperor is unreasonable! O, be silent and hear me, for I must speak. Long have I severed you, Khaimeron, my sovereign lord, and long have I trusted in you. But in this measure I see naught but folly.”

And Emeron, moved to silence Lord Reorith, and thought to strike him with the Scepter. But he would not be quieted, and threw the Western King to the floor, crying out “I will not observe this man as my ruler whilst the Emperor still lives. For only by thy father’s death art thou entitled to what he hath so recklessly given!”

Then did Khaimeron say unto Lord Reorith, “Am I not the ruler of all the Living Planet? Am I not descended from a line of Kings? I say that I am. Then should my word be law, and my wishes carried out, and all the men of Wormwood rejoice, for the Emperor hath decreed.”

But Lord Reorith said unto him, “It is not within the Power of the Emperor to decide when his tenure shall be finished. You hold an office until Death come claim you, and not before. This course you set upon, to give your children their inheritance whilst ye still draw breath, is in defiance of all the natural order. No good can come from such an upset, and truly do I beg the Emperor to reconsider.”

Then Emeron stood again before Lord Reorith, and all the court was silent. And Emeron said unto him, “It has been decreed, and thus it is so: I am now your King, and you now serve my court, not that of my father. I say that I would have your allegiance, and the allegiance of all your Knightly Order. Swear your fealty to me here and now, and all these trespasses shall be forgiven.”

And Lord Reorith looked to Avylos for aid, and Avylos looked away. Then did he look to fair Dasellis, and Dasellis also turned away and began to weep.

Then, seeing that he was alone, Lord Reorith said, “When the Emperor is dead, and you have taken your rightful place as a ruler of men, then all my allegiance shall be yours.”

So Khaimeron, in a sudden fit of rage, did revoke Lord Reorith’s writ of nobility. And Reorith turned to Dasellis, and whispered, “I did love you”, and walked out of the Domed Palace. And he went and dwelt in the land east of the Free City, and all his Knightly Order did follow him, yea every one of them. And they founded there a mighty Watchtower, and dwelt there for thirty years, waiting for their time of homecoming.

Lamentations I, 7-15

Emperor Khaimeron then dropped out of all sight. It matters little what actually happened to him following the Sundering, for he had already played out his part in this long tale. His children began ruling their respective Dominions, and very quickly the once homogeneous culture of the Unified Realm began to change into three distinct civilizations. And it seemed over time, that Lord Reorith might have been right after all…

Part Two: The Faith is Divided
Prior to the Sundering of the Realm, the primary religion on Wormwood was Vram Yufovya. Roughly translated as “inner light”, the basic tenet was that there exist in the Universe two opposing forces: Light and Dark, creation and destruction. Mankind, in his heart, is Dark. Without the saving grace of the Light, he will degenerate into baseless violence and barbarity. Thus, every man, woman, and child, must devote the greater part of their lives towards diminishing the Dark within themselves.

This can be accomplished in several ways. Daily prayer and mediation, loving one’s friends and family, and respecting those in positions of authority are some. As well, since life itself is seen as stemming from the creative Light, rather than the destructive Dark, it is the duty of all men to pursue life to its fullest potential. “For he who sits and does nothing,” wrote a great prophet once, “diminishes himself slowly. That is not the manner of the Light. That is the way of the Dark, of the form destroyers.”

The development of magical powers was also seen as a way to grow more in the Light. Those with the ability to say Prayers of Communion could speak to Wormwood, and create things out of nothingness. So a great many went into the priesthood, and served the Light both by developing their PPE, and by then using their priestly powers to help and care for others.

In short, the goal of Vram Yufovya is to create a utopia; a world where there is no want and no suffering.

But once the Realm had been divided up, and there existed three power bases where before there had only been one authority, problems arose. Each of the Dominions began to interpret for themselves the best ways to grow in the Light. Over the next thirty years, the one true faith branched off into three denominations.

Terradominance
Literally meaning “world ruling”, the Terradominance movement developed in Charun under the rule of King Emeron. It was based heavily on Vram Yufovya, but interpreted several things differently. Foremost was the idea that Mankind, while Dark by nature, is still closest to the Light than all other races. Therefore, it is Mankind’s duty to bring Light and civilization to those that have none.

While in practice this might sound well and good, like sending missionaries into the world to perform charitable acts, to the Terradominants it simply meant that Man was a superior life form and must rule over all other races. Otherworldly beings, such as entities, demons, and mortals not originally from Wormwood, are all naturally subservient. They are meant to be slaves. Which is a good thing; not only do they learn how to act more human (bringing them closer to the Light), but also humans, now freed from manual labour, can lead a life of leisure. Such a life also complimented the tenets of Vram Yufovya, for Terradominants were truly “living life to it’s fullest”.

The Vram Yufovya practiced in the east was seen as rigid and totalitarian. They prayed too much, and fasted too often. It was seen as a religion of self-denial, and was therefore evil. A life cloistered away in constant prayer and mediation was a life wasted.

Eastern Vram Yufovya
Still practiced today, this denomination remained closest to the original, but developed more of a hard line. Eastern Yufovya carries a high emphasis on purging one’s inner darkness. It is a religion of self-purification and regimented prayer. Three times daily (morning, noon, and night) Eastern Yufovyists must sit in prayer, with each session lasting thirty minutes. There are also six different times of the year when one must undergo a weeklong fast in order to purify the body. All throughout the year, one must exercise regularly to keep the body in top form, and avoid damaging vices such as alcohol and drugs.

The development of magical powers is also highly regarded. This may explain why Ezud, the cradle of Eastern Yufovya, has more alchemists per capita than anywhere else on Wormwood.

As did the Terradominant sect, they feel that only Kings and appointed rulers of the land have the right to bear arms, raise armies, or make war. Commoners should not feel the need to arm themselves anyway, for their protection is placed solely in the hands of the nobles. Even so, in Eastern Yufovya one goes to war only for defensive purposes, or when offered no other solution. Warmongering spreads nothing but hate and destruction, and therefore leads one into Darkness.

The summoning of otherworldly beings must only be done by members of the Alchemy Guild, and then followed up by a weeklong regimen of prayer and fasting in order to cleanse the soul.

Orthodox Cathedralism
Founded by Lady Dasellis as a direct response to Terradominance, Cathedralism’s main ideology is that it doesn’t have a division between “church” and “state”. When faced with the growing hedonism of Charun, Lady Dasellis came to the decision that it could not be allowed to happen in her Dominion. Every noble who commanded a city, as well as the Grand Knights for both orders, were made indoctrinated Priests of Light. By this reasoning, the actions of the Army were directed by the Church, and not by the whim of a local Duke or Lord.

The Cathedralists were also the first to field “Freelancers”; a peasant army raised up to bolster the numbers of the Knightly Orders. The other two denominations looked on this act as akin to heresy. Neither could envision a general populace with enough arms to overthrow them, should they so choose.

Cathedralists believe that Mankind is meant to rule over other races, but must do so judiciously. Other races may indeed be brought into the Light, but will always be a second-class citizen.

Part Three: The Golden Age Ends
For uncounted millennia, Charun and its environs had been a beautiful city and a testament to the Light. But now a darkness was subtly creeping in. Like all true evil, it was not overt at first, and it blanketed itself in good intentions. The faith of Emeron’s kingdom grew more and more towards the Terradominant line of thinking. Supernatural beings from twisted, otherworldly realms became more and more commonplace. They were slaves, servants, pets and playthings. The Alchemists of Charun designed ever more elaborate methods of summoning these beings into servitude. And all the while, the faithful assumed that they were doing right.

The nights were filled with revels; at first in salutation to the new King, then to welcome his first-born son, Prince Khairon. Of course the royal birthdays had to celebrated as well, and the King had seven children. Then there were holidays, and festivals. Thrity-three years after the Sundering, fully half the Charun calendar was comprised of holidays. But the people of the Dominion believed they were actually improving their lives, for truly, they were living them to the utmost as their religion commanded.

Towards the east, in Ezud, Avylos took a wife and had four children. Avylos’ father had commanded him to build walls and battlements, and that is exactly what he did. Great cities arose from out of the surface of Wormwood. Giant monuments and works of art adorned the many churches and palaces. His Dominion was prosperous, and safe, but became overtly introspective. The people of Ezud began to worship the Light in a manner very different than those in Charun.

Again, the practitioners of Eastern Yufovya saw their behavior as a natural and proper progression of worship. The fact that their lives had become spartan and fundamental only made sense when compared to the blatant excesses of the west. They were right, everyone else was wrong. And yet, the people of Ezud were content to live their lives in relative seclusion, and for a long time, did not try to interfere with the conduct of the other Dominions.

Finally, in the Southlands, the Emperor’s only daughter took a husband. At the age of twenty-five, Dasellis married the brash Lord Davin Ordek. Ordek was a Grand Knight; the leader of the Order of the Templars. Their union helped pave the way for the Kingdom of Light to move towards a denomination that was to be radically different from the other two: Cathedralism.

Then the people of Charun fell into depravity and arrogance, yet so slowly did it happen that they could see it not.
And Emeron knew his wife, and she bore him a son, and called him Khairon, in honour of the departed Emperor. And Khairon was most beloved of his father, King Emeron, such that every wish the boy had was granted.

And King Emeron had yet six more children, three more sons and three daughters. And these were the names of his sons: Shaelo, Deylos, and Merron. And these were the names of his daughters: Sayella, Rhysain, and Maillen. But most beloved of the King was Khairon.

And young Khairon did take after his fathers’ every measure, and did partake in the summoning of evil beings for his delight, and their torment.
So the wickedness of Charun and of King Emeron grew with each year, and creatures of Darkness became ever more commonplace there. But still the people believed themselves to be in the Light.

Until, in the thirty-third year of his reign, was the Beast brought onto the firmament of Wormwood. And the Beast had no name, so terrible in evil was it. But all who saw it recoiled at it, and called it The Unholy, which was all that it was, and nothing more.

Lamentations III, 9-15

From the safety of the southern city of Stronghold, Lady Dasellis became increasing worried. The Worldgate Traders, who so often brought goods to the city, now also brought strange tales as well.
Something was going horribly wrong in the Western Dominion. Monsters were now common pets, summoners ran rampant with their magics. Even Wormwood itself seemed to want to isolate the growing evil in the Kingdom, for the Traders claimed that a new chain of mountains was rising up north of their city.

A portent such as that could no longer be denied, and Dasellis sent a company of Templars to investigate.

The Leader of the company was Sir Taye de’Vaffe, who had been a squire to her husband. Altogether Sir de’Vaffe spent two years in Charun. When he returned to Stronghold he was a changed man. Where once his face had been bright and youthful, now he looked gray and sullen. He was a haunted man.

de’Vaffe reported to the court all that he had seen. It was true he said, that a new mountain chain had risen up north of Worldgate, the largest anyone had ever seen. Demons and monsters were everywhere, and the people of the Dominion were completely corrupted. Their demonic slaves were close to open revolt, and soon the land would no longer belong to man.

Some in the court called for all the knights of the Cathedral to march on Charun, but Lady Dasellis was slow to action. She simply could not believe that once great city had fallen so far, nor that her brother had let it. She instead decreed that a Congregation be called of all the other leaders of Wormwood; a meeting to confirm Sir de’Vaffe’s findings, and plan a next move.

It did not take long for the Queen to discover that her brother Avylos’ agents had come to the same findings. The Dominion of Charun would soon be overrun with demons, and its’ people past saving.

Far and wide went the word for the leaders to assemble, but in doing so Dasellis and Avylos saw how different each other’s Kingdoms had become. Each thought the other to be on a path similar to Charun. The Cathedral saw in Ezud a land of dangerous extremists who refused to face up to facts, and Ezud saw in the Cathedral a kingdom run not by the Queen, but by over-zealous generals, itching for an excuse to make war on anyone. The end result was that no one could decide on a place to hold the meeting.

Then, without warning, a message arrived in both Stronghold and Cenyaw from the exiled Lord Reorith. In it, he offered his personal citadel, the Watchtower, as a place of neutral ground where a Congregation could take place. So under the gray skies of Watchtower they assembled for the first time in as long as some could recall.

From Ezud came Prince Chaulron and Prince Khadis, sons of King Avylos, the King being too sick and timid to leave the walls of Cenyaw.
From the Free City Worldgate came the nine Lords of the Exchequer. From Hammer and Chisel, from Izrui and Alhir came representatives for the Resiners, the Guild of the miners and weapon smiths.
From the Stronghold of the Cathedral came Lady Dasellis and her husband, Lord Ordek, Adaboam and Tephen the Alchemists. And Grand Master Caben of the Hospitaliers was among them also.

And over them all presided Lord Reorith, the Exile. And he welcomed them to his home and said unto them: “Long hath it been these thirty years that my Order hath dwelt in exile. For I alone spoke my heart, and when looked I to you for aid, you turned away and did nothing. Come you all now here in your hour need. And shall I be as equal cruel, and turn you away?”

And Lady Dasellis replied, “You said on that day that you did love me. Be it so that your affection has cooled in this tower, or do you profess to love me still?”

And Lord Reorith looked at her, and did not answer, and they all knew that he did indeed still love her.

Tephen the Alchemist did then say: “We are gathered here in Congregation, and now must we decide what is to be done in the Dominion of the West. For many are the evil portents that wax there. That land shall be lost to the Darkness, lest we act soon.”

Then in suddenness did Shaelon, the second son of King Emeron, burst into their midst. And when he entered their place of meeting, they did all gasp for fear. For Shaelon was as a refugee, his cloak in tatters and his feet bare.

And Lord Reorith said unto them, “Behold, Shaelon, the son of Emeron, here as an expatriate in my home. Why lookest thou in such disrepair?”
“I come for I have heard that a mighty Congregation is assembled,” said Shaelon. “And seeing it is so, I must relate news unto you of terrible import. My father, King Emeron, is dead.”

And the assembled broke into arguing, until Lady Dasellis quieted them. “If my brother be dead, then tell us by what means” said she.

Lamentations III, 168-179

It was an unexpected shock for the Congregation to learn the King Emeron was dead. It was made even worse to hear the way in which he had died.

King Emeron’s son, Khairon, had apparently been possessed by an otherworldly life form of great power. Prince Shaelon did not know the being’s name, calling it only “the Unholy”. It was both name and descriptor; for Shaelon went on to tell the Congregation that the Unholy had utterly transformed his brother, leaving only an abomination behind. The Unholy had turned on King Emeron, and ripped him limb from limb, reveling in the blood and gore. Then the beast had taken the Kidoc, the Scepter of Wormwood, and used it to kill many of the palace guard.

In short, Shaelon told them that their worst fears had already come to pass. The demonic playthings of Charun were in open revolt, enslaving their enslavers. Worse yet, more of the Unholy’s kindred had been brought to Wormwood, using human beings as Hosts.

Shaelon and his two brothers had managed to escape the palace, after sending Emeron’s three daughters into hiding. Now he pleaded for aid.

It did not take long for the Congregation to decide a course of action. The Kingdom of Light allied itself to Ezud, and asked Lord Reorith to join them in a battle to reclaim the lost Dominion. Reorith agreed, but only after Prince Shaelon (who was now King of Charun for all intents and purposes) publicly apologized to Lord Reorith on behalf of his deceased father. Furthermore, he promised to restore Reorith’s writ of nobility when Charun was once again free.

The stage was set for total war. The largest military force that Wormwood had ever seen assembled turned itself towards Charun. The Golden Age was over.

Part Four: The Tribulation Begins
Never before, in all the long pre-history of Wormwood, had there been a battle such as the one that took place on the Plains of Khulam, in the shadow of Mount Skael. The actual number of combatants is a matter of conjecture, but most historians put the allied forces of the Congregation at nearly 80,000. Their opposition however, outnumbered them tenfold.

The Forces of Darkness were composed mainly of demonic beings such as Beast Guards, Br’talb Hound Riders, Skr’lyr Sky Riders, Rathos Rumblers, and human Priests of Darkness. The Congregation, while far fewer in number, was vastly superior in both equipment and training. Forty thousand knights from Ezud and the Cathedral moved on Charun, backed up by Longbowmen and siege weapons. Lord Reorith’s Sentinel Knights were, without argument, equal to three or four regular fighting men apiece. No fewer than eight Battle Saints and 20 Battle Saint Orbs were involved.

The Battle of Khulam Plains also included the first use of massive numbers of “Freelancers”. Beforehand, warfare was the work of the nobility, who preferred to have their loyal subjects largely unarmed. In order to counter the sheer volume of the enemy’s ranks however, fighting men and women were conscripted from the lower levels of society. A large number of mercenaries joined the fighting too, whether for ideological reasons, or in the hopes of profiting from the sacking of Charun.

Many wondered if the Congregation’s effort might not be doomed from the first. There was the very serious question of who was going to command such an incredible force. In the end though, there was only one logical choice: Lord Reorith. He was, after all, the man who had brought the Congregation together, and while the various factions did not entirely trust one another, they each trusted the exiled Grand Master.

There were three spearheads that collided on the Plains. From the northwest, out of Charun and Atala came the followers of the Unholy. From the east came the soldiers of Ezud. The Cathedral forces and the Sentinel Knights came up from the south through the Demon Mountains, taking the pass below Sky Cape.

The battle was, without hyperbolae, a blood bath. Accounts of it are many and varied, but every one describes heaps of bodies and rivers of gore. So many were killed on either side during the first hours of fighting, that the obstacle of corpses hampered effective counter attacks. Eventually, the fighting degenerated from a unified assault into deadly fighting amongst scattered groups. The sun set on a charnel house. Swarms of flies cast a dark halo over bodies piled like cord wood. The cries of the wounded and dying filled the air. Still, it seemed that the demonic troops were giving ground. Lord Reorith rallied the survivors for a final push toward the gates of Charun. Mayvoc, The Orb of Wormwood, brought to the fight by Prince Chaulron, shone like the sun itself. For the briefest of moments, the free men of Wormwood had victory within their sight.

But it was not to be.

Then did the Unholy, sworn enemy of all the human race, take to the field. And the leaders of the Congregation looked upon the face of it, and knew true fear. Yea, even Lord Reorith did give pause.

And the Plains of Khulam grew silent and still, and even the screams of the dying were muted, such was the dreadful awe of those who looked upon that most evil of beings.

Then with terrible swiftness, the Unholy raised its hand, and in it could they see the Kidoc, Scepter of Wormwood, now as twisted as its wielder. And with it did the Unholy strike Shaelon, son of Emeron. And Shaelon flew apart as if made of water.

Then Deylos and Merron, last of the sons of Emeron, regained themselves, and covered in the blood of their brother, leapt into battle. And the Unholy did kill them in an instant. And thus the sons of Emeron were no more.

And Prince Chaulron, overcome by terror, gave into weakness, and fled. And he took with him the Mayvoc, and the Light departed the leaders of the Congregation.

Then said Lord Reorith, “I am myself alone.” And the Unholy struck at him. But Lord Reorith wielded no ordinary sword, and carried no ordinary shield. For they were the Stuff of Souls, the only alloy in all the Living Planet. And with his shield he did parry the blow, and with his sword he cut into the Unholy’s flesh.

And the Unholy staggered, and looked at him with confusion. And Lord Reorith smiled.
Then the Unholy said unto Lord Reorith, “Pride sullies the noblest character.” And Lord Reorith saw that he had sinned, and his countenance fell.

The Unholy, seeing the Grand Master pause, fell upon him, and tore him limb from limb. And thus, in a whirlwind of death and regret, fell Lord Reorith.

Lamentations V, 190-199

Defeat had been snatched from the jaws of victory. With the death of the one man who could have lead them, the remaining Congregation army fell into exhaustion and disarray. Prince Chaulron ordered the men of Ezud to retreat back towards the east, and one entire flank of the attack fell away. Without their support, the Cathedral forces suffered incredible losses, for they now bore the full brunt of the demon onslaught.

Finally, after what seemed an eternity, the remaining Sentinel Knights ordered a retreat. The Unholy’s own numbers had been dealt a severe blow, and it could not press the advantage. It was forced to let its enemies pull back from the Plains of Khulam. The bones of the fallen were heaped around the base of Mount Skael, which was then appropriately renamed “The Mountain of Skulls” by its new lord and master.

The final numbers of dead and lost were never recorded. Certainly the Congregation had lost at least one-third of its number – some 27,000 men and women. In the aftermath of the fight, hope seemed to fade out of the world. All the heroes were dead; Lord Reorith, Prince Shaelon, Lord Ordek, Sir Ruslathon, Lady Katalus Blademaster, Prince Khadis, Grand Master Caben of the Hospitaliers, the list went on and on. The greatest generation of its time had been all but wiped out, and those who survived hid away in their castles and found other ways to destroy themselves.

Yet it was not over. All this was merely the prelude of an even greater battle, one that would last for the next thousand years.
LunarYoma
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LunarYoma »

a good read
Lunaryoma

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”