I often wonder about this

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

I often wonder about this

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

In 2098 are robots common place like in I,Robot, or limited to the NEMA.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Limited to NEMA, although it's safe to assume that you have sophisticated robot vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, dog walkers, and other luxuries in most homes. Limited robotic intelligence has probably been installed in many hovercars for collision avoidance systems and the like.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

It seems likely to me that NEMA has among the most advanced robots of the day, but I could also see the common household having small non-humanoid robots to do various taks, and perhaps the fabulously wealthy might have humanoid robots on par with the Northern Gun slave-bots in Rifts SB1 (i.e. fairly advanced but inferior to a Dyna-Bot, Skelebot, or NEMA combat drone).
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

I find that there is a common misconception about the "Golden Age of Man". This is that people tend to think that this "Golden Age" went right up to the coming of the Rifts. The reality is quite different. By 2098, many nations that had cooperated relatively freely with other nations had become somewhat more reclusive and paranoid (i.e. the U.S.'s current global relations). Even during the Golden age, the superpowers still kept important technologies and other scientific advancements to themselves or at least within their circle of close allies. Indeed, this practice is what brought about what could be called a neo-cold war situation. The lesser countries argued that if the more powerful nations were actually concerned with helping their fellow man, then all scientific research would be made common knowledge. After international relations began to erode, the age of global cooperation gave way to the era that set the stage for the Great Cataclysm. Thus, I would imagine that not everything was a "Golden" as post-cataclysm myth makes it out to be. There were still rich and poor, and I'm sure there were a host of ethical and social problems within the bastions of civilization that were not exactly advertised (especially to foreigners).
So I guess to answer the question, I imagine that NEMA did indeed have some of the most advanced bots (though I imagine Japan and Germany were still slightly ahead), especially in regards to military applications. As far as civilian models, I doubt it would be anything like I-Robot. In the late 21st century, robots were probably still the luxury of those that could initially afford them, and then continue to pay for their maintenance. I would surmise that very basic units similar (though probably more advanced) to those that we have today (cleaning, security, and lawn care mostly) were probably fairly commonplace. I would also venture to guess that stripped down exo-skeletons were probably used for things such as construction or in shipping yards as well.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Sure.
Triax type labour bots anyway.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Lots of civilian (read non-armoured, non-armed, no combat skills) robots.

There will also be a few companies or individuals that can afford robot guards, but these will be really rare.

Large cities might also have robot police - restricted to non lethal force unless a human life is in imminent danger.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

MrsEsterhouse wrote:It's the Golden Age of Man. I dunno about you but my Golden Age better damn well have robots to do my chores. I'd imagine the people that can afford it can have Domestic House-bot 3000's. Maybe tedious jobs have been filled by a bot of some sorts. The militaries have those early skelebots. Would stand to reason that a lesser tech is available to the citizens. Maybe robotic pups for the kids sans laser, seeing eye probes and the ah...pleasure bots. There's the defining moment of any Golden Age...can you get it on with the technology.

The Idea of a Golden Age is really more of a Post Rifts Faerie Tale.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

MrsEsterhouse wrote:Post Rifts Faerie tale? The question was about 2098 and the years leading up to. As the book described it life was good for awhile because the quality of life was continously growing. People are living the longest they've ever lived in recored history, technology is the moving at a dizzying pace and for a time there is Peace. That happened. Wether people hundreds of years later in Rifts Earth want to belive that or not is up to them.

It wasn't some super fabulous super peaceful "Golden Age," though.

Close but no cigar.
Josh Sinsapaugh

MrsEsterhouse wrote:Did you read the Chaos Earth book at all or are we talking about different things?

Basically, what I am saying is that the people of Rifts Earth view the time before the Rifts as this perfect Golden Age where all was peachy in the world. This view of the time before the Rifts is a little askew.

The "Golden Age of Man" that preceded the Rifts was a great time to live, as per the Chaos Earth mainbook. However, it wasn't some period of super luxury. The time directly before the Rifts closely parallels our own time in the level of political, economic, and social stability: everything looks fine on the surface. It wasn't really a Golden Age, it was more like the Pax Romana: relative peace with its foibles.

I do not belief that I fully articulated my point in the earlier posts, I've tried to do so here.

Really, we're arguing semantics here. And semantics sucks.

~Josh Sinsapaugh
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

MrsEsterhouse wrote:
I think of something like the Time Machine ( Wells ) where people lounged around without a care.

...except they were eaten by the working class...literally.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”