NPCs in Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: NPCs in Rifts

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Zachary The First wrote:I was looking through the other day at a few of my various Rifts books, and I started reading some NPC descriptions...does it seem to anyone else that all these goody-goodys are awfully annoying? It's always "has a high regard for life and justice". There are few tortured heroes in Rifts--every hero is always tolerant, despises the Coalition, and makes UNICEF look like the Lone Star Complex. It's the same thing with Erin Tarn--tak eup every noble cause, be tolerant and understanding on every page...how g-darned noble we all are. Where's the depth? They make all these characters completely unrealistic, personality wise. We have one or two saints a generation, not an army of them. Anyone else have this beef?

No.
Basically, people don't consider truly decent and noble people to be "realistic" because then they'd have to set their sights higher in their own life and maybe be a better person.
But there ARE plenty of truly good people in the world who DO have a high respect for life and justice
Being a good person doesn't mean lack of depth. I don't tend to think of Jesus Christ, Martin Luther King, or Mahatma Ghandi as being shallow... just for example.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

People who tend to want to crusade for some cause of Justice, will tend to be more principled and selfless.
People who are selfish but essentially decent people will fight for a good cause when led to it, but their sense of self-preservation will not lend itself to them taking the first step as readily.
Besides, I've had enough tortured angst ridden heroes to last me a lifetime. Can anyone say "1980s' X-Men" ?
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Angryjack wrote:.....and took money from Communists.

what's wrong with that?
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:
Angryjack wrote:.....and took money from Communists.

what's wrong with that?

Far to Capitalistic. :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Scooter the Outlaw
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Scooter the Outlaw »

Sentinel wrote:Besides, I've had enough tortured angst ridden heroes to last me a lifetime. Can anyone say "1980s' X-Men" ?

Thank you. I think the whole anti-hero angle is played-out and overused. Not everybody needs to be some kind of good guy with dark secrets or horrible past, etc. Some people are just honest, hard-working, life-loving people who want to make a positive difference. There's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make them shallow at all, because there's far more to a person's personality than 'dark secrets' and angst.

Return to “Rifts®”