Power Armor and AI's

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrTwist
Hero

Power Armor and AI's

Unread post by MrTwist »

A Hardware character in my group wants to add an advanced AI to his power armor. The original basis for it was to protect against mechano link users, and also to take the character to safety in case he's knocked out or otherwise hurt. What are people's thoughts on this?

Now for the next part. After the player decided he wanted to do this, another player started to try to convince him to attach extra arms, controlled by the AI. So, during combat, the AI would have it's own attacks with these two arms, and the pilot would have his own attacks. This seems a bit much in my opinion, but if the char can put an AI into the suit then nothing other than desire for game balance really would prevent it.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

hmm.... yeah, treat it as a second pilot...
that's basically what it is...

use the robotics rules for buying it more than 2 attacks per melee...

use all the robotics rules,
including for the cost of building/developing the AI capabilities...
that should keep him from throwing a learning machine (true AI) into the suit......

tho you might be nice and let him like half the cost if it's a non-combat AI, that just kicks in when the pilot is rendered unconcious...
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Seems to be a more developed version of a targeting coputer controlled gon. One of the PA in Rifts:Juicer Uprising has automated gun arms, so I would probably allow it as long as the PC could afford it.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

Can't reprogram an AI that is basicly equil to a human brain in abilities. It has self programming abilities so it would just rewrite the altered programs. Or has a special hard copy set that it can reference from.
Wayne_Breaux
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Wayne_Breaux »

The Atorian book will have rules for AI support options in robotic armors and vehicles. For now, the simplest way would be to use the pilot/copilot idea and give the AI its own stats (perhaps limiting attacks; since the AI will not be a PC, at the least it will not get the 2 attacks automatic to all heroes) and let it function with its own bonuses independent of the pilot.

My question is where is he going to get an advanced AI? They're mighty expensive and programming one yourself would be a loooong and difficult process with big penalties and lots and lots of re-tries. What hardware category is the Hardware character? I'd assume he's analytical genius if he has a PA (that or a nice GM handed it to him). They get nice bonuses, but programming an AI is not the kind of lengthy project that would hold an AG's attention to the end. A simple one, maybe, but nothing as extensive as human-like artificial intelligence. The penalties would also be likely to kill any percentage an AG might have...an electrical genius, maybe, but not likely for an AG.
"Immatu Imperium da nai Palladium!"

New artwork can be found at http://wbreaux.deviantart.com
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Oths have made some good suggestions for the finished product of this, but don't forget to have some fun with the process itself. He's going to have to field-test this thing, and with something as advanced and difficult to get right as an AI system, there's all sorts of "fun" things could happen in the heat of combat.

I would use the perfected result as a long-term goal for the character, with him spending lots of time and money on it's development, but he'll also have to deal with all the bugs, oversights, crashes, etc along the way.

PigLick
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I appreciate the input everyone, thanks.

I think I'll run with only one or two attacks for the AI in combat, seeing as how it has to compensate for the movements, targets, and other stuff of the pilot.

The main point of the suit's AI was to protect against outside influences, and to save the character's butt if somehow knocked out. I haven't looked too deep into Telemechanics, but Mehcano-Link can't control a sentient machine.

The AI that is currently being imbedded into the suit was already present. It was a PC who became an NPC. It was transferred to their base to save itself after it's body was almost totally destroyed.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Wayne_Breaux

MrTwist wrote:I appreciate the input everyone, thanks.

I think I'll run with only one or two attacks for the AI in combat, seeing as how it has to compensate for the movements, targets, and other stuff of the pilot.

The main point of the suit's AI was to protect against outside influences, and to save the character's butt if somehow knocked out. I haven't looked too deep into Telemechanics, but Mehcano-Link can't control a sentient machine.

The AI that is currently being imbedded into the suit was already present. It was a PC who became an NPC. It was transferred to their base to save itself after it's body was almost totally destroyed.

Ahh, interesting twist...and a very Atorian one at that (many of their old warriors do not retire, they transfer into the equipment and vehicles of their descendants and act as support intelligences just as this character is planning, forming living weapons and technological artifacts in a high-tech society). Sounds like you've got the situation under a good eye. HAve fun with it. Hopefully the Hardware character and the transferred PC get along with each other...;)

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

With the mention of support AI's, I'm really looking forward to that Atorian book.
---Penn Jillette
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Don't forget...

The AI will shoot at ANY perceived threat!

So, if a cop pulls a gun on the character, the suit's AI will shoot him. This can be programmed out of the suit's AI, but still...unless the character thinks of this AHEAD of time, he's going to be is serious ka-ka for a) Assault with Intent, b) Assault with a Weapon Dangerous to the Public Peace, c) Assaulting a Peace Officer, d) Murder (with special circumstances)...etc.

Besides, if he's running around the city in power armour, he's already breaking several civil and criminal statutes in almost every jurisdiction in North America! :lol:
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Well, no. It's a true AI, not an automated combat computer. Also, he's a recognized super hero and won't be arresting for walking around in his armor.
---Penn Jillette
Wayne_Breaux

gadrin wrote:
Makes you chuckle to imagine the banter going on in that cockpit at times

I've been reading "Newton's Wake" space opera by Ken McLeod and their suits are "familiars" with TI and one is particularly obnoxious. It even defected to the other side when the lady character got left behind in a dimensional gate. :lol:

Oops, deleted my post by accident which is where gadrin was quoting from. :D

As best I remember the wording, it referred to the full AI related to a TI or transferred intelligence in regards to my comment about the pilot and its support AI/TI getting along since one would be watching the other's back and they would both be trapped together in a comfortable, high tech tin can. I get chuckles thinking about that a lot writing the Atorian book...an Atorian may have the most skilled gunner known to the Empire manning the guns so she can fly like the wind and that will bring her lots of prestige, but when you get down to it, that TI is still her mother...or grandmother. Makes you chuckle to imagine the banter going on in that cockpit at times.

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I do intend to have fun with the Hardware player when the AI decides to put in it's own two cents to a sticky situation. I'm not going to use it as a way to screw with the player, but since it is an NPC it will have it's own opinions on situations.
---Penn Jillette

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”