How does scanning for lifeforms work?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marcantony
Adventurer

How does scanning for lifeforms work?

Unread post by Marcantony »

I saw this thread at RPG Net;
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=143262

So, how do you guys see this as working? What exactly is the equipment scanning for?
Last edited by Marcantony on Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

heat sources, specifically moving heat sources
carbon dioxide
chemical compounds
living structures
????
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Biological Energy
Life Auras

In short, whatever the GM (or the RPG's creator) wants the system/ability to scan for. :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

They detect plot holes and then they fill them. :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Uh...Doom...

That's called an Editor...just ask anyone at PB about tha...uh, wait, bad example... :lol:
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

A combination of electromagnetic active analysis, electromagnetic passive sensing and resonance imaging analysis.
The scanner picks up any available electromagnetic output and sifts it for registers on it's database.. it also 'pings' the area with an electromagnetic strobe best suited for going through stuff and sifts through the spectral return signature for matches on the database.. finally, it can 'ping' the area with a vibration.. sounding to all the world like a little dinky warbling sound.. which hits just about every vibrational frequency of the atoms around it, which vibrate back with a return signature (a very complex and detailed one, lets just call it super atomic sonar.. Tesla was a big fan of this effect).. to limit the data flow the scanner is only looking for organic capable materials with active chemical reactions.. so it may show the ham sandwich as organic, but it will only register as alive if it has fuzz growing on it.
8-)

Notice how there are three sensors working at the same time?
Yep.. thats a tricorder.
Not just handy for scanning for life signs, also great for electronic diagnostics, medical scans and number crunching.
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

ZEN wrote:A combination of electromagnetic active analysis, electromagnetic passive sensing and resonance imaging analysis.
The scanner picks up any available electromagnetic output and sifts it for registers on it's database.. it also 'pings' the area with an electromagnetic strobe best suited for going through stuff and sifts through the spectral return signature for matches on the database.. finally, it can 'ping' the area with a vibration.. sounding to all the world like a little dinky warbling sound.. which hits just about every vibrational frequency of the atoms around it, which vibrate back with a return signature (a very complex and detailed one, lets just call it super atomic sonar.. Tesla was a big fan of this effect).. to limit the data flow the scanner is only looking for organic capable materials with active chemical reactions.. so it may show the ham sandwich as organic, but it will only register as alive if it has fuzz growing on it.
8-)

Notice how there are three sensors working at the same time?
Yep.. thats a tricorder.
Not just handy for scanning for life signs, also great for electronic diagnostics, medical scans and number crunching.

Thanks. I was hoping either you or Dan would reply :)

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”