Astral Vision

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Astral Vision

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, this might come up so I thought I'd ask everyone before it does. When you are traveling in the Astral Plane, mainly via Astral Projection, how does your vision work? You can fly through solid objects at incredible speeds, but can you see through them? What's your field of vision while in astral form? Do you have to be looking at something to "see" it? Do you have color vision?

-Vek
"Same for other senses."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Astral Vision

Unread post by kiralon »

afaik there are no rules mentioning this, so it is pretty much up to the DM.
I went a blend of Tel'aran'rhiod/Deverry/Tigana way, and always make the first trip into the astral a learning experience, with the players having to explore how it works. Getting a power to go to another dimension does not mean you automatically know how that dimension works. Except for getting back to your body, that is instinctual.
So for me yes to colours but they aren't usually the same, powerful psionic things are seen easier if not shielded, Things that have been in place a long time are solid. Being over water is dangerous and a blade of grass can be a deadly weapon.
Organic things have auras, most inorganic things do not, and invisible in the real world is invisible in the astral.

and no to wandering hazards ;)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I go with "You can see, but are reliant on ambient light."

You don't have 360 degree vision, your senses are pretty normal... you're "you". If you stick your head inside a safe, you see the inside of a safe. Which is probably pretty dark.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
GoliathReturns
Wanderer

Unread post by GoliathReturns »

Library Ogre wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:05 am I go with "You can see, but are reliant on ambient light."

You don't have 360 degree vision, your senses are pretty normal... you're "you". If you stick your head inside a safe, you see the inside of a safe. Which is probably pretty dark.
This is mostly how I handle it, except for the first few trips I make everything kind of a "washed out" look, colors muted, etc.

As they get more and more used to it, things look more normal

--
GS
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

In my astral plane IQ is PP, ME is PE, Will power is PS (i use extra stats, willpower, perception, luck), MA is spd, so a non physical character tends to shine in the astral plane.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”