NOT a conversion, but where do DBZ characters...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

NOT a conversion, but where do DBZ characters...

Unread post by slade the sniper »

...Compete at in the Megaverse?
Gods, Alien Intelligences, Dragons, Hatchlings, Cosmo Knights?

This is NOT a conversion, but an actual question of where would the DBZ characters slide in at?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
oni no won
Explorer

Re: NOT a conversion, but where do DBZ characters...

Unread post by oni no won »

More like in the realm of Heroes Unlimited would you not agree?
slade the sniper
Hero

Mo, I don't agree.
I was meaning more in terms of what constitutes a viable threat to them... not the setting. Besides, the setting would more closely resemble Rifts anyway, since HU is Earth, not the bizarre cosmology of DBZ. Plus, with the focus on martial arts and power/ki, Ninjas and Superspies would more closely resemble the fighting styles.
Also, the power levels involved seem to indicate MDC levels.

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

dragonball power scaling is unrelatable to palladium powerscaling, as dieties in DBZ operate entirely differently and Ki cultivation means that a single person can vary WILDLY in durability and power based on their focus and emotional state. there's just too many "let's pretend"s needed to handwave all the differences to make any argument.
slade the sniper
Hero

Orin J. wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:44 pm dragonball power scaling is unrelatable to palladium powerscaling, as dieties in DBZ operate entirely differently and Ki cultivation means that a single person can vary WILDLY in durability and power based on their focus and emotional state. there's just too many "let's pretend"s needed to handwave all the differences to make any argument.
I agree with you, but the DBZ RPG by R. Talsorian using the Fuzion system has a lot of good rationalizations for how and why stuff works in that dimension.

The biggest thing is if there are any OCCs in the multiverse that have a "power up" mechanic.

That is a common enough trope in fantasy, so I suppose it isn't in violation of board rules...

So is there any OCC/RCC that has a power up mechanic built in... sort of like some of the Ki powers in N&SS but taken to the next level?

-STS
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I've never watched that show, but World Book 25:China 2 has a couple of Mystic Martial Arts which can gather Chi to limited effect. The Tai Chi specific class (pg 52) could, at 12th level with average ISP rolls, meditate for ~20 minutes to gather a 200 ISP chi ball in each hand which can be maintained indefinitely, capable of doing 2d6x10 MDC to supernatural evil and entities as well as serve as a shield against magic, psionics, and Chi, while allowing levitation, sensory stuff, and healing. The Ba Gua mystic style, which as of that book is only available to the Geofront Scout, can at high level build autonomous nodes along a ley line capable of various nonsense.

Mystic China's Geomancy spells are easier to exploit. This is facilitated by use of vajra from the same book, or even a little technowizardry. Whipping up a figurative maelstrom of chi can get into 6 figures, which converts to PPE at either 6 or 8:1. The very most expensive spells, like Summon Demon Planet, might take some doing, but there are spells of legend and high level space magic which do a lot of damage which could work. Most of the latter expressly don't work against things in an atmosphere, so if that show has planets getting blown up that would need a workaround. Even the basic Chi maneuvers get ridiculous with tens of thousands of chi behind them.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Yeah, as in "I throw a moon at you".

Basically, your average Rifts infantryman or power armor jockey's going to be looking at the muscle-goon in the baggy clothing and the bad haircut and thinking 'Juicer' and then seeing power-up mode and going immediately to 'OHSHI-"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
slade the sniper
Hero

Eh,
There are examples of DBZ characters getting one shotted by normal weapons...
It works strictly by the "power up" method.
So ambushes with normal weapons are still useful, much less MD weapons.

So, again, is there anything in the Megaverse that has a power up mechanic? N&SS has some baseline stuff, and with the conversion book you can make some pretty hardcore martial artists using ki and body hardening exercises, but need to get that extra oomph to get to Demi-god, godling level.

Basically, what is the most broken martial arts/ki character that can be made in the Megaverse?

-STS
slade the sniper
Hero

To answer my own question, looks like taking a character from N&SS and then moving them into Rifts to use the Conversion book to buff up powers to MDC levels.

-STS

Return to “Rifts®”