The Spell Fire Blossom

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The Spell Fire Blossom

Unread post by darthauthor »

The Spell Fire Blossom.

Question #1:

With regard to storage and carrying.
The spell description says it is 3 inches tall.
I have some adventures who want to stock pile them.
They are sitting on a Ley Line.

I told them they have to carry them if they want to be able to have them.
I told them there is a limit to how many will fit in a backpack or sack or their pocket.
What I did not know to tell them was how many.
We agreed to they fill up their sack with them and carry them over their should.
So height, depth, width.
3 inches tall.
First impression, let it take up a 3 by 3 by 3 inches of volume.

Question #2:
"What is a good approximation of their market value?"
I know it must vary from place to place
1 credit per blossom?

Question #3:
If it rains or falls in water does the fire blossom go or can the player put their hand in the lake water and pick it up and pull it out. No harm. Works like normal?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: The Spell Fire Blossom

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:I told them there is a limit to how many will fit in a backpack or sack or their pocket.
What I did not know to tell them was how many.
We agreed to they fill up their sack with them and carry them over their should.
So height, depth, width.
3 inches tall.
First impression, let it take up a 3 by 3 by 3 inches of volume.
Well to figure out how many they can carry one also needs to know the available volume for the storage device, which is lacking here. Backpacks, sacks, and pockets come in all sorts of sizes

As for the volume of the fire blossom itself, what basic shape are you assuming:
3" sided cube = 9 cubic inches
3" tall x 3"dia cylinder = 21.195cubic inches
darthauthor wrote:If it rains or falls in water does the fire blossom go or can the player put their hand in the lake water and pick it up and pull it out. No harm. Works like normal?
The description specifically states "does not burn until the mage or the recipient of the Fire Blossom (...) activates it. Once activated, " (Rifts BoM pg111), which means rain or falling into water (or some other crushing instance) won't set them off.
darthauthor wrote:Question #2:
"What is a good approximation of their market value?"
Palladium Fantasy has similar magic items in the main book for 20-50gold (off hand I don't know the conversion rate to credits, PF2E lists the cost of the gem below at 1-6GP per Carat depending on the cut).

According to the TW Gem table in RUE (which is basically the Stone Master Gem Table in WB2, just expanded with new spells), Fire Blossom spell is in the Quartz: smokey gem at 150credit per carat. You might also get an idea using a single use TW Device utilizing this spell (though IINM this might end up being even more expensive).

Also keep in mind they might drive the price down if they create a surplus of supply if the demand isn't there.
darthauthor
Hero

Question #2:

"Would the Fire Blossom be effective as a source of light (like a candle)?"

Specifically the fire blossom that is not activated, so you could use it for a month or more."

Related: "What kind of wattage would the light be from a inactivated "Fire Blossum"?

A typical candle emits approximately 12.6 lumens of light.

Glow stick typically emits around 5 to 30 lumens of light.

Fire Blossom ≈ 7.12 lumens best guess
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Honestly for simplicity I'd treat it as a typical candle in terms of illumination, maybe even a bit less. Though the issue of brightness/illumination-power isn't directly addressed in the description.
darthauthor
Hero

Thanks ShadowLogan,

Just seeing possibilities.

Nuturing creativity.

Even the Boook of Magic encourages players to think of the "right" combinations of spells (Earth Warlock).
Having a lot of Man vs Envirnment in my game lately.

Question #3:

"Can the Fire Blossom Spell be employed as a bug zapper?"

Question #4:

"Would kids play with them like a firecracker?"

Question #5:

"If you are playing the bartender (in disguise) and you put the Fire Blossom in a drink (lit drink) and you get the bad guy to drink it, what could happen?"
Nothing?
Blow up inside?
Heartburn?

This question seems almost impossible in it's improbability of being attempted or successfully performed.

Still, someone out there is just bored enough to try it to see what happens.
Last edited by darthauthor on Mon May 20, 2024 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Q3:
In storage mode no, in activated mode its a flame source so yes (though it might be over kill, though it could also just drive the bugs away)

Q4:
Assuming they can activate it yes, otherwise it would be like them hurling objects. Though these aren't firecrackers when they activate.

Q5:
Recall the size of the fire blossom, its 3inches tall (and unknown "diameter"). IMHO that makes it difficult to swallow/consume whole for human/near-human size beings. Now giant-size beings with their larger mouths might not have issues with the size but what could happen then could be:
1. the subject dies when the blossom activates to its full size due to expansion (regardless of the HP/SDC a character has you can't jump on an SDC grenade to save everyone else, your dead that's in the rules, so I would say swallowing an explosive would be the same even if you are a MD being swallowing a MD explosive). There are some exceptions (either due to shear size the tiny "grenade" doesn't cut it or immunities or regeneration abilities like a Zombie has) but in general it should be an insta-kill.
2. its harmless to the subject with release, but they suddenly find themselves standing in the fire zone
3. when activated they spew a constant stream of fire breath for 1d6 minutes (the magic prevents harm to the person swallowing it, but those flames have to go somewhere, if out of the mouth likely won't be able to breathe out of the mouth or nose either...)
4. the thing is inedible and the subject vomits it back up shortly after (either due to natural functions or some magic function)
5. the magic prevents activation due to its location, so the subject as to either pass it out one end (painful) or the other (#4). Given the size of the thing, might not be to comfortable either.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”