Self Charging Energy Weapons

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

Self Charging Energy Weapons

Unread post by RockJock »

Does anyone have a list of these anywhere?

Kittani Energy Lance in WB2/Atlantis.

I think one of the PW books has sort a couple of colonist type energy rifles that have a self charging ability, but I didn't find it with a flip thru.

NG 1/WB33 has a series of solar charged lasers.

Any other odds and ends? I'm looking for mundane/nonmagical guns. Thanks all.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Self Charging Energy Weapons

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well just about any built-in energy weapon to platform with nuclear power will be self-charging, but I don't think that is your intent.

The Phaseworld weapon you are looking for is in DB3: PW SB on pg60, the Colonial HI-Laser Rifle.

IINM wouldn't the Laser Bow in WB15: Spirit West count?

Mutants In Orbit (pg89) has x2 for personal use, the Chemical Laser and Chemical Laser Rifle (both use a separate power pack).

EDIT Additionally:
Ixion Energy Weapon Rod (WB30: DBoNA pg53, also found in CB1r and WB20: Canada IINM)
Wilk's 1000 Pulse Laser Cannon (MercOps pg104)
Vasher Energy Rifle (DB6: 3G pg118-9, NOTE this is an organic weapon system)
Triax TX-222 Pulse Laser: Giant Size (WB31: Triax2 pg102-3, intended for Robots)
RockJock
Knight

Thanks for the help ShadowLogan.

The laser bow is exactly what I'm looking for, I totally forgot about it. And yes, the Colonial Hi-Laser Rifle is the one my memory flubbed on.

I'll definitely look up the others, but the Ixion Energy Weapon Rod seems a good fit, the Mini an even better fit.

I am looking for options for an interdimensional adventurer to carry that would cut down on the need for e-clips as they dimension hop. TW stuff is always an option, but plain old tech is a better fit. The Wilks laser sprayer and TX-222 are probably a bit heavier than what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help, and If anything else pops up feel free to add.
RockJock
Knight

An additional contender is the Laser Wrist Blasters from the original Atlantis book.
RockJock
Knight

An additional contender is the Laser Wrist Blasters from the original Atlantis book.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

do the northern gun powerpacks in mercenaries count for this? they regenerate their payload but they're not integral to the weapon and have limits.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Not quite 'recharges under all conditions', but on a par with the Colonial HI-Laser is the Northern Gun solar-recharging series from the Northern Gun books.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

RockJock wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:02 pm An additional contender is the Laser Wrist Blasters from the original Atlantis book.
The WB2 Laser Wrist Blasters are properly classified as a Techno-Wizard weapon system (the Book of Magic pg314, though going back to WB2 it mentions a magic power pack), which is why I left them off the previous list as you were not looking for magic systems.

Exotic Options I found would be:
-WB2's Bio-Wizard Symbiotic Weapon Modification (pg125, also comes with some perks beyond just unlimited payload) though cost here might be an issue and it qualifies as a magic system.
-DB6's Necrol's various organic weapon systems (pg117-9), though each "weapon" has its own approach to this (also issue of if a non-Necrol using it)

Bionic systems might also provide options (might have to "homebrew", like bionic legs with secret compartments that act as recharging holsters for energy pistols).
RockJock
Knight

I have the NG solar energy weapons on there already, but thanks Taal.

Thanks for the call out on the wrist blasters. I definitely read it wrong when I was flipping.

The NG power packs self recharge a limited number of times right? If that's the case it isn't really what I'm looking for.

Basically gear for a starting out TA Nomad, or similar. A taste of magic, or psychics isn't horrible, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I could see how say Caliber-X would be great for a major psychic who dimension hopped. Not really useful to anyone else, but pretty versatile for the actual character. If I'm going to go full magic things like the crystal weapons, or Lemurian gear would fit.
Last edited by RockJock on Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

RockJock wrote:Thanks for the call out on the wrist blasters. I was looking at the Atlantis description that doesn't mention TW/Magic, at least that I saw.
WB2 pg152 the fluff text for the Laser Wrist Blasters "A pair of wrist bands just like the ones used by the Altara warrior women. Mini-lasers with a magical power pack worn on the back. See the Center figure depicted on the cover of Rifts." (emphasis in text). The payload block mentions a back-pack that recharges, but omits anything about the nature of the pack unlike the Forearm Plasma Blaster on pg153 which is flipped (payload mentions the magical pack but not the fluff description). The WB2 (my copy is pre-RUE-era) description is largely C&P in the SB1o (pg109) description for the Blind Warrior Women's weapons (edited to remove "just like the ones used by the Altara warrior women." aspect).
RockJock
Knight

I must have half read both chunks in WB2. Thanks ShadowLogan, my mistake. I think I read the payload part then looked at the cover. Sorry again about that. I'm going to go edit my post.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

While not a Rifts title, the Heros Unlimited (2E) on pg98 has a few options for Randomly generated aliens under their weapons (specifically the 72-80 Energy Melee Weapon, and 87-90 Wrist Blasters) now these are SDC weapons given the setting, but I found them recently looking for an obscure rule in another discussion.
Ace, TW
D-Bee

Unread post by Ace, TW »

There are two e-clip chargers for sale in the various books.

Rifts Mercenaries “3” - Merc Ops has one. It’s on page 118. Nuclear fusion with a 12 year life. 790,000 credits. Charges eight short/standard e-clips per hour.

Rifts Black Market source book has the other on page 136. Cost is 1.7 million for the solar power version. There is also a diesel and a fusion power option. Solar charges 1d4+1 short e-clips every 6 hours. Can store 48 hours of charge time [(1d4+1)x8].
Ace, 10th level Techno Wizard/ 4th level Conjuror extrordinare.
RockJock
Knight

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'm going to end up with a Kittani Energy Lance, and something TWish in the form of a sword that shoots something. Lots of choices for those.

Thanks for pointing out the chargers/generators. I was looking more for something easy for an explorer to carry on his person. I did have the thought of a nuclear powered dog or horse that can charge clips as a possibility, so same sort of line of thinking.
Thanks again.
AceTW
D-Bee

Unread post by AceTW »

"I did have the thought of a nuclear-powered dog or horse that can charge clips as a possibility,"

That is totally possible. Almost all of the new Nothern Gun Power armor's mention being equipped, or having the option to have installed, a patch cord and clip plug for weapons where you can run your guns off the armor's power source.

It's hardly a leap to imagine a nuclear-powered robot could have a charging port installed.

The charger listed in the Merc' Ops' book is 15lbs and the size of a suitcase. The Black-Market solar charger is 250lbs but does not list a size (probably the size of a filing cabinet and an array the size of a parking space.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RSB 3 has self charging weapons. But they are made for giant sized creatures.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Mindwerks has Energy Pistols & Rifles that self regenerates energy/payload over time.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
RockJock
Knight

Thanks for the adds all.

Return to “Rifts®”