Necromancy vs anti magic cloud

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shamrock 'Slinger
Wanderer

Necromancy vs anti magic cloud

Unread post by Shamrock 'Slinger »

I tried checking through all my books. Would anti magic cloud affect something like a squad or even a platoon of undead soldiers? I imagine since a necromancer used magic to raise and maybe use a ritual to have them permanently wander around his domain, it still would affect them since the AMC negates all magic. Even if they have been raised for a while from a magic ritual.

If AMC does affect undead like that, I wonder if that would just make the undead stationary or maybe crumple onto the ground since the spell is technically no longer active. I don't think saving throws would work in the necromancer's favor here lol.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe on how it might not affect them? I have it where the undead have to stay in a certain area but don't need to have a constant spell of animating/raising to keep them around. So a little homebrew in a way. I figured this might be a cool way to even the odds on the PCs not needing to fight hordes of undead and maybe surprise the enemies.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: Necromancy vs anti magic cloud

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I think it might depend on what kind of undead you are talking about. Do you mean mummies and zombies (as in the create mummy and create zombie spells)? In my opinion, the actual magic used to create this beings is done and in the past, creating an effect that subsequently remains permanent. So they would continue to exist/move when in an anti-magic cloud. Sort of like if a warlock had used a spell to create clay - if, later on (maybe even years later!) an anti-magic cloud is cast in the vicinity of the clay, the clay wouldn't disappear. But if a wall of clay was active (a temporary effect), that could disappear. If I cast heal wounds on someone, and half an hour later they walked into an anti-magic cloud, their wounds wouldn't suddenly open up again (though that might be cool :-))

Trying to find other necromancy undead related spells you might be referring to - I see command vampires, in which case the spell would be broken and the necromancer would no longer be in control of the vampires, but the vampires themselves would not just cease to function in an anti-magic cloud.

Hope that helps.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I agree the question is a bit vauge in scope, could you cite examples of Necromancy in question please.

Even with that said something that could qualify as a "Creature of Magic" (which Mummy & Zombie might, even Golem's might) would still keep going as per the description (Rune Magic can continue to function to a limited degree to) of the spell so we know not all magic is stopped. Something like an Animated Skeleton (per the spell) would be impacted by Anti-Magic Cloud.
Shamrock 'Slinger
Wanderer

Unread post by Shamrock 'Slinger »

Yeah certainly can clarify a bit more.

Think of the stereotypical necromancer who raises a dead army as his personal vanguard. I couldn't find anything in BoM or any source book about permanent raise dead, so I am doing a GM handwavium that some sort of ritual was done to make it permanent. So in the sense of animated skeleton or command vampires, I'd agree that the AMC would stop it. The mummies and zombies one is interesting to think of in the way Soldier of Od put it with the magic already being done.

Since there is a bit of homebrew/handwave going on, I'm trying to make sure I'm following the logic of AMC when it comes to undead and the effects of the cloud.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would say that if that animated dead and undead created by magic would fall down destroyed.

Undead created by Deific or other supernatural beings through means other than magic would be neutralized for the duration that they were in the AMC.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”