Stii confused on Bionic Damage

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zombietots
D-Bee

Stii confused on Bionic Damage

Unread post by zombietots »

I have a player who is starting a headhunter and has the bionic hand with knuckle spikes. I get that the spikes do S.D.C. damage, but what does the actual hand do? Like a slap, punch or even gripping someone. Is that M.D. damage? I always assumed it was.
"I Love Lamp!" Read more Galaxy's Edge and Forgotten Ruins by Nick Cole and Jason Anspach Frickin' awesome series of books
zombietots
D-Bee

Re: Still confused on Bionic Damage

I have a player who is starting a headhunter and has the bionic hand with knuckle spikes. I get that the spikes do S.D.C. damage, but what does the actual hand do? Like a slap, punch or even gripping someone. Is that M.D. damage? I always assumed it was.
"I Love Lamp!" Read more Galaxy's Edge and Forgotten Ruins by Nick Cole and Jason Anspach Frickin' awesome series of books
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Stii confused on Bionic Damage

Unread post by Grazzik »

It is only MD when either delivered as a power punch (RUE pg 285 - it is SDC otherwise) or has been upgraded to do MD damage, like with robotic strength.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

To answer the question you first need to determine the type of Strength the Hand is using (regular, Super Natural, Robotic, Augmented) and the score (PS #). Then you consult the appropriate table (RUE pg285-6 for non-regular PS, regular PS can be found on pg345).

Per pg75 (RUE) they (Headhunter class) would start with an Augmented Strength of a PS of 10 (and a PP of 10), they would need an Augmented PS of 24 in order to do MD as a Power Punch however they can only go up to 20 (22 if MD Bone implant). That would mean they do regular Punch damage. Now they can upgrade the Hand's PS to have a higher score AND/OR change it to Robotic PS (option found in the Bionics SB and specific World Books).

Now I don't think I've seen "Slap" damage and I'm not sure what you mean by "Gripping". Crushing with the hand is something I've seen with mecha and generally amounts to Punch Damage. If you mean gripping in some other manner than crushing the easiest way to resolve an issue would be to go with the Higher PS value wins (in the same type of PS, if not...)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Grazzik wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:55 am snip... or has been upgraded to do MD damage, like with robotic strength.
MD is Mega Damage. So adding 'damage' after 'MD' is....
so it would correctly be...
"...or has been upgraded to do MD, like with robotic strength."

MDC/MD
SDC/SD
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

zombietots wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:02 am I have a player who is starting a headhunter and has the bionic hand with knuckle spikes. I get that the spikes do S.D.C. damage, but what does the actual hand do? Like a slap, punch or even gripping someone. Is that M.D. damage? I always assumed it was.

Bionic limbs have augmented PS.

They use the augmented PS damage chart, if you have RUE.

Otherwise, they simply do normal PS damage, and simply have greater lift/carry capacity.

They do not do MD with rare exceptions.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
zombietots
D-Bee

Like punching someone with a hammer for a fist. The flesh arm is still the source of actual strength the hand is just extra blunt damage. I see.
What about gripping though? would that be MD damage?
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

zombietots wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:05 am Like punching someone with a hammer for a fist. The flesh arm is still the source of actual strength the hand is just extra blunt damage. I see.
What about gripping though? would that be MD damage?
Hunh, a very unique use case. If you want a trash compactor for a hand without the Robotic Strength upgrade, see Bionics SB pg 97 - Strength Hand. Would still do SD damage (yeah, I know Drewkitty...) with PS 25, enough to effortlessly crack walnut shells, but if it were a house ruled upgrade with unsightly pistons and such sticking out, you could handwave in a MD version for those extradimensional walnut shells. But as with any buff of that kind, it should come with equal or greater penalties...
zombietots
D-Bee

I guess what I'm asking then, is if the hand is made of MDC material, and if it has its own power source for movement just connected by brain command. A hydraulic pressured hand that takes commands from the brain kinda thing. if so, would it be MD crushing grip damage? or is it connected and dependent on the tendons from the forearm? Then I could see SDC as it would not be able to apply the MD pressure.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Crushing Damage as I mentioned previously is typically equal to the punching damage, so if you can punch for MD then one can crush for MD otherwise if you punch for SD than you crush for SD.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Welcome to the forum, zombietots!

Isolated bionic arms/hands have a maximum Augmented PS of 22, and even getting over 20 requires bone replacement, so there's no potential for MD damage. There are some modifications which make such possible, such as vibroblades. Many options, such as a Hydraulic Hammer Hand, give an MD damage option but reduce the sense of touch, and often don't allow the hand to contain other implants.

Arguably the most game-mechanically effective option for a Headhunter with a bionic arm is the Pneumatic Punching Jackhammer Arm, found in RUE and the Bionics Sourcebook. At a PS of 22 it would grant 1d6+1 MD punch damage (1d6@20PS), +1 to initiative, +2 to disarm, and +1 attack per melee round(!), while not being described as limiting other implants or further limiting sense of touch.

Return to “Rifts®”