Any official Rifts material for Hawaii?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarryBCD
D-Bee

Any official Rifts material for Hawaii?

Unread post by HarryBCD »

I'm running an Undersea game and wonder if there are any official resources for the Hawaiian islands.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Any official Rifts material for Hawaii?

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

There's an "optional" article in Rifter 46, but save potentially an errant sentence elsewhere that's it.
HarryBCD
D-Bee

Unread post by HarryBCD »

Curbludgeon wrote:There's an "optional" article in Rifter 46, but save potentially an errant sentence elsewhere that's it.

Thanks.
"Roll the Dice. I want to see if I eat your spleen." John Kovalic, Dork Tower
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

World Book 8 mentions Hawaii in relation to the Japanese Triangle (pg26), but that is about it. That suggests the islands might still be there (Guam and other island chains can be seen/called out on a map near the main Japanese islands) though on pg11 it mentions "most islands of the Pacific were devastated." (and apparently Japan was the hardest hit in the world, also on pg11). WB7 puts the Horune as operating close to Hawaii, which appears on some of the various maps scattered throughout the book (not labeled as HI).
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Considering the risen sea-levels world-wide, I'd assume most of the Pacific islands are either gone or very much smaller than they were.
That said, I'd rather they weren't high-tech paradises.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

honestly if anywhere was going to have a major New Navy base, it would be hawaii. the pre-rifts Pearl Harbor–Hickam Joint Military Base is probably underwater, but i could see the new navy building a new base there on Oahu to both service their subs and to support salvage ops on the pre-rifts base remains. (which given the trend seen elsewhere, may well have had some sealed bunkers and drydocks that could have survived with useful stuff.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Fenris2020 wrote:Considering the risen sea-levels world-wide, I'd assume most of the Pacific islands are either gone or very much smaller than they were.

While rising sea levels would mess things up, increased volcanic activity might stay ahead of said levels for some locations. There wouldn't be any remnant populations, I expect, but after 200 years of recovery and possible magical enhancement, some might be comparable to pre-Rifts sizes.

I've worked under that assumption for a half-written Rifter article submission I'm toying with for another location entirely.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Seneca
Explorer
Comment: When choosing between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Unread post by Seneca »

thorr-kan wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:Considering the risen sea-levels world-wide, I'd assume most of the Pacific islands are either gone or very much smaller than they were.

While rising sea levels would mess things up, increased volcanic activity might stay ahead of said levels for some locations. There wouldn't be any remnant populations, I expect, but after 200 years of recovery and possible magical enhancement, some might be comparable to pre-Rifts sizes.

I've worked under that assumption for a half-written Rifter article submission I'm toying with for another location entirely.

You can not rule out "Divine intervention" from the Polynesian gods either. Pele herself could easily pull what the Native American spirits did and rift away some Native Hawaians and their descendants to a pocket dimension and then plop them back on the islands after everything settled down. Might make for an interesting neighbor for the New Navy if they have a base in Pearl Harbor. Or even better yet a divine Landlord.
What books I would like to see:
RIFTS-Japan 2, England 2, Africa 2, China 3, Lazlo (PLEASE!!)
Phase World- The Galactic Tracers Sourcebook
A RIFTS video game RPG/Shooter like Fallout 3
scalien
D-Bee

Unread post by scalien »

Smiling_Bandit wrote:Was something about Pacific islands mentioned in Lemuria? I know they have easter island. But I'm pretty sure Hawaii was briefly referenced in regard to gardens.

Smiling_Bandit - Is notorious for half remembering something and still being wrong

With nothing else involved, this.

I don't remember anything stated officially in Lemuria, but that just leaves it open for fun. The weirdness of the setting can have the islands move or change in anyway. From a new trapps area with hundreds of volcanoes and a Minion War incursion site to a haven maintained Polynesian + Alien gods keeping a watchful eye on the Splugorth.

This is one of the things I like the most about the setting.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Seneca wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:40 am
thorr-kan wrote:

You can not rule out "Divine intervention" from the Polynesian gods either. Pele herself could easily pull what the Native American spirits did and rift away some Native Hawaians and their descendants to a pocket dimension and then plop them back on the islands after everything settled down. Might make for an interesting neighbor for the New Navy if they have a base in Pearl Harbor. Or even better yet a divine Landlord.
Divine intervention would certainly fit on the high end of magical enhancement! It would be less applicable in other Oceans besides the Pacific (what long term inhabited islands are there?), but possible.

Millennium Trees, Jungle Elves and Bionmancy, rando-Rifts, Gene-Splicers, wayward gods...lotsa room here.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
washout
D-Bee

Unread post by washout »

Personally having lived there for 10 years I'd write it with the angle that the pacific gods pele et al. Saved all the natives and let everyone else die and are now xenophobically protecting the islands for their true people. The native hawaiians were devastated by colonialism, and the gods would be chomping at the bit to pay some back and put the kingdom in place again.

The free hawaii movement and the Hawaiian free kingdom here in reality have a lot of legal backing in the international courts, too bad america doesn't recognize any of the lawsuits from the existing Polynesian empire remnant.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

IIRC Greg had a write up in Underseas 2: New Navy
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

I like some of the ideas here about Hawaii.

I could see it becoming a World Book.

Hawaii magic school.

D-Bees of Hawaii.

ley lines.

Return to “Rifts®”