Super-Psionic Power of Mentally Possess Others

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Super-Psionic Power of Mentally Possess Others

Unread post by darthauthor »

Can a player with the super-psionic power of Mentally Possess Others use it on a Deevil?

Nothing I have read in the description says that the Deevil is immune to psionic attacks. So in my mind, they get a save like everyone else but if they fail the save it should work.
Nothing in the description in RUE of Mentally Possess Others says that it can not work on a Deevil although they will not have access to their vicitims memories only the body.
Circumstances could vary but a player character is performing this on a Deevil using their metamorph power so they look human.

2. So, IF, it works can the psychic use the Deevil powers: such as
See the invisible
Turn invisible.
metamorph: Human
Spells: All 1st level Fire Warlock spell, plus curse and heal wounds and such.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Super-Psionic Power of Mentally Possess Others

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Yes, you can use Mentally Possess Others on a Deevil (or Demon or SN or CoM).

No, you cannot access inactive powers. This is based on the Tattoo Magic, which establishes that a possessing entity (which can include a psychic via MPO) cannot activate (or cancel) a T-man's M-tats that aren't already active (WB2 pg86 under "All Simple Weapons" Note, which is also duplicated again later on the page under the Magic Tatoo Weapons in the paragraph into the next page).
darthauthor
Hero

ShadowLogan,

Good answer with the citation.

I see the pros and cons.

Question that just came to mind.
So, the player is fighting Demons or their fellow Deevils in the Deevil body he mentally possesses.
I persume the Deevil body continues to regenerate even with the player character in it.
What happens, to the player character psychic, if the Deevil's body is destroyed?
Guesses:
1. He's freed and wakes in his own body.
2. Depends on the role of what happens. 01-50% Deevil turns to sand and player is okay.
Deevil catches fire player suffers like agony spell?
etc.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

darthauthor wrote:So, the player is fighting Demons or their fellow Deevils in the Deevil body he mentally possesses.
I persume the Deevil body continues to regenerate even with the player character in it.
What happens, to the player character psychic, if the Deevil's body is destroyed?
Guesses:
1. He's freed and wakes in his own body.
2. Depends on the role of what happens. 01-50% Deevil turns to sand and player is okay.
Deevil catches fire player suffers like agony spell?
I can see Bio-Reg being an always on thing so yeah I can see it still working.

As for what happens when the Deevil's body is destroyed, well they will snap back to their body. That isn't to say you couldn't playthings up based on the situation based on the premature cause (ex. while MPOing the Deevil, they get beaten to a bloody pulp I would consider that the same thing as if they were in their own body for insanity purposes).

Now weather the Deevil wants to take retribution on the character is likely going to come down to if they know who to blame. While under MPO the deevil (or anyone else for that matter) is considered knocked out cold so is not aware of anything they did while the victim of MPO.
darthauthor
Hero

Can a psychic mentally possess a vampire?
Wild?
Secondary?
Master?
Seconday vampire's mind slave?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

ShadowLogan wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:44 am Yes, you can use Mentally Possess Others on a Deevil (or Demon or SN or CoM).

No, you cannot access inactive powers. This is based on the Tattoo Magic, which establishes that a possessing entity (which can include a psychic via MPO) cannot activate (or cancel) a T-man's M-tats that aren't already active (WB2 pg86 under "All Simple Weapons" Note, which is also duplicated again later on the page under the Magic Tatoo Weapons in the paragraph into the next page).
Eh. I have to disagree.

The fact that a possessing power cannot activate tattoo magic in no way indicates they are barred from activating any other latent abilities. it just means they can't activate magic tattoos, which deevils cannot get.

So yea, you can use all their powers.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ShadowLogan
Palladin

@Nekira
I agree that Tattoo Magic is a specific case. Though there isn't anything to indicate that it is intended as an exception. The Major Super Power (HU2E) equivalent is a bit more wordy than the Psionic Power which states "Only the abilities of the host body can be used.", and goes on to discuss natural abilities examples but leaves out things like Super Powers or other similar (unless it was changed in a different printing). The psychic doesn't have access to the hosts memories after all, so they might not know how the body "activates" said power/SN ability/spell.

@darthauthor
regarding Vampires, No. Mental Possession could be viewed as a form of Mind Control, which the vampires are immune to. A mind slave should be vulnerable.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

ShadowLogan wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:13 am @Nekira
I agree that Tattoo Magic is a specific case. Though there isn't anything to indicate that it is intended as an exception. The Major Super Power (HU2E) equivalent is a bit more wordy than the Psionic Power which states "Only the abilities of the host body can be used.", and goes on to discuss natural abilities examples but leaves out things like Super Powers or other similar (unless it was changed in a different printing). The psychic doesn't have access to the hosts memories after all, so they might not know how the body "activates" said power/SN ability/spell.

@darthauthor
regarding Vampires, No. Mental Possession could be viewed as a form of Mind Control, which the vampires are immune to. A mind slave should be vulnerable.
My point is that that rule is an exception by it's nature. if you generally couldn't use such abilities, there was no need to call out tattoos in particular. There are certain abilities of the host the possessing being cannot use; but only those with such an explicit exception. anything not excepted is permitted. it specifically says it applies to tattoo magic, and therefore, that is the only thing it applies to, anything else that isn't that or some other listed exception is useable.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”