How tall is that Ogre in the window?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: How tall is that Ogre in the window?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well, the dates you cite for the books look like print dates for follow-up print-runs and not original published dates (not saying PB hasn't made changes between print runs on some books either).

There are a few explanations that might work:
1. the Ogre in question is vertically challenged for their species and gender (as giants) and what PB has listed is the average height range
2. the Ogre in question is not a full-grown adult (as giant), i.e. a "child" or "adolescent."
3. the T-man in question is human and wearing fake tusks (for some reason, not necessarily cyber/bio-wizard implants as we can't rule out costume prosthetics)
4. undocumented Shrink/Growth M-Tats are in use by the parties (either shrink on the "Ogre" or Growth on the 2x humans).
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Smiling_Bandit wrote:I was inspired by the other thread about tattoo magic and the races capable of getting them. We have the various human people and elves as the oddball one. I was looking around to see if there is anything that ya'll might have missed. Looking at the art (cause I'm a sucker for a nice illustration) in Splynn Dimensional Market pg. 110.

We have a tattooed woman. A tattooed man. And then my question arises at this point. We have what I think to be a male ogre. Tusks and all. Only he seems short for an ogre. I looked up the ogre in Palladium Fantasy pg. 306. According to that source we have ogres as being around 7-12 feet tall. That doesn't parse with what I see in the picture. So I pulled out my old Conversion Book 1. It has ogres pegged at 6 feet tall. Then I checked the Revised Conversion Book 1 to see what it has to say. 7-12 feet there. Then I really dug in and got my old 1st edition Palladium Fantasy from the back of my closet of books I only need like once a decade. It has them at 6-8 feet tall.

Treat both sources as canon.
Your character is 6-8' tall, which is short for an Ogre because they're normally 7-12' tall.
:-D

You might go with there being two different breeds of ogre, and he's part of the shorter breed. Like an Ogre pygmy.
Or maybe there was an entire generation or two of Ogres that was abnormally short (6-8'), and nobody knows why (plot hook!).

Or MAYBE full-blood ogres are 7-12' tall, but when they crossbreed with humans the result is a shorter-than-average Ogre (6-8' tall).
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would use the PF RPG 2nd Ed stats for height.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Considering that male ogres can mate with human females, I'm gonna go with the shorter versions, because the idea of a dude who's 12 feet tall bumping uglies with a lady who's 5 ft tall poses some significant problems. Considering that such an ogre would be 8 times as heavy as 6 ft dude of the same proportions, the lady would get squished.

Seriously, that size range would result in body weights in the horse range. Snu-snu jokes and references to sketchy shows in Tijuana aside, this just doesn't seem plausible. 6-8 feet is plenty.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Something else to consider, what if the Ogre's 7-12ft height is the result of steady growth over their life cycle. Humans typically stop growing (in terms of height) after a certain age, what if the Ogres do not have this limiting factor (and combined with their obvious Gigantism) which results in them growing into the 12ft behemoths over the course of their life span?

That might allow for easier breeding with human females if they typically engage in it at earlier "height stages" without getting into the difficulties of the larger sizes.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Between 1e PFRPG and 2e PFRPG, Ogre heights were DRAMATICALLY increased. Conversion book and Atlantis numbers would be from 1e, and things later than 1996 would likely be drawing on 2e numbers.

1e ogres are 6-8' tall.
2e ogres are 7-12' tall

Personally, I have ogres be the results of True Atlanteans mating with normal humans while deprived of their medical technology and infrastructure. All the things that make Atlanteans into ubermensch get exaggerated and warped so ogres look monstrous.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Plane
D-Bee

Unread post by Plane »

the original CB-style ogres based on PRPG (1st ed) and not PF2, I just figure are separate subspecies of ogres in alternate dimensions

with alternate timelines doesn't hurt to view PRPG/PF2 as separate dimensions to give us more variety

Return to “Rifts®”