TW skill

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blue_Lion
Knight

TW skill

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

So rereading the TW occ. I discovered something odd.
Creation of TW items is not listed as a class power in RUE.
It is instead listed as a exclusive OCC skill.

What would happen if a non-Tw temporary or permanently gained the TW creation skill?

(There are few cannon ways this could happen.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
darthauthor
Hero

Re: TW skill

Unread post by darthauthor »

The Superpsionic power of "Mind Bond" is the first to come to mind.

I suppose under the "right" circumstances a mystic might be able to acquire the ability for a couple of weeks. Still has to put in the PPE, cast the spells, destroy the gems in the constrution process, and make the skill check.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Let's look at what the skill description says it does:
1. in-depth knowledge on how to combine magic w/machines properly
2. used to analyze a TW device created by another mage and duplicate its plans
3. there are also a host of bonuses and penalties, one of which might be applicable here is the penalty for not having an appropriate skill (any mechanical or electrical skill, some communication skills, Field Armorer, computer, and possibly even some WP)

#2 is likely as far as I'd allow a non-TW-style class (Eco-Wizard as example) to go with their ability to use the skill if they acquired it by some means/duration. Basically, the schematics don't look like hogwash if you have appropriate related skills (think of it this way, if I showed you an electrical schematic of a printed circuit board it might look like gobbly gook to you unless you knew what all those symbols mean that you would get from the Basic Electronics Skill or Electrical Engineering).

#3 EVEN IF I allowed it for a non-TW-style class, the required cross skills could stack up quickly depending on how one approaches the required skills. Now that could be countered somewhat by the bonuses, but the skill penalty alone can exceed 100% (though it will vary by device) if it requires a lot of skills.

But #1 while it gives you the knowledge, I would think would require a casting style/talent that is derived under their abilities (the TW casts spells via appropriate technology for the spell to have full effect, otherwise the spell is cast at 1/2 strength-RUE pg128) that is not part of the skill. So, you know how to layout a TW-device schematic, but you could not actually build one because you cannot put the actual spell(s) into the machine. We see this with the penalties for the TW not knowing a required spell(s), and there is no indication that the assisting mage(s) learns TW Construction skill OR the TW gains the spell(s) afterward.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

darthauthor wrote:The Superpsionic power of "Mind Bond" is the first to come to mind.

I suppose under the "right" circumstances a mystic might be able to acquire the ability for a couple of weeks. Still has to put in the PPE, cast the spells, destroy the gems in the constrution process, and make the skill check.

There is also the spell instill knowledge, but would require a TW to cast it.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Then that non-TW mage (practitioner of the magic sciences) would be able to create TW style magic items.
It is not like TW style magic items are the Only type of magic items. The alchemists of the PF world would think the TW style magic items are junk, because they are incomplete because they don't self power themselves.

Mind Bond by a MM: nothing the MM (& other master psi"s) do not have the necessary PPE to do anything with the knowledge. 'Knowledge' does not come with 'ability' to use the knowledge. The ability to use magic is based in the user's absolute belief that they themselves can make the magic. (detailed in the PF: MOM1 gamebook) The MM would have to practice with the knowledge to gain belief that leads to the ability to use the knowledge.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”