Would a NeuroStim implant work on a detoxed Juicer?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thorr-kan
Adventurer

Would a NeuroStim implant work on a detoxed Juicer?

Unread post by thorr-kan »

NeuroStim implants (Coalition Manhunters) won't work on Juicers or Crazies. Those augmentation process destroy the psionic potential the NeuroStim activates. But the Juicer process doesn't destroy natural psionics. If successfully detoxified, would a NeuroStim implant work on the former Juicer?
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Would a NeuroStim implant work on a detoxed Juicer?

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

One could make an argument either way, I suppose, but having it as an option in game affords a fun interim step between Last Call and full conversion bionics.

That the NeuroStim still provides effects with 4 other implants including limbs gets one part of the way to a psyborg, or in the case of a recipient escaping the CS a more effective Momano Headhunter. The latter is a little easier in that PPE batteries are a thing, whereas something like Psylite is more of a Phase World/3G concept. Perhaps the Amaki have a material akin to it for use in their Gizmoteered items.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I don't have the book so I can say one way or another about if the implant would work on a detoxed Juicer, but there is a question that might also be worth considering even if it was available: Would a detoxed Juicer even go for the implant?

Text in RUE (and present in similar form as far back as RMB) states "Note that after his experience as a Juicer, the character is likely to avoid all means of artificial augmentation such as the Combat 'Borg and Headhunter, although they are also options." (RUE pg80)

That suggests yeah you might be able to get the implant, but (essentially) former Juicers aren't likely to. A Delphi-Juicer (WB10) might be an exception wanting to reclaim some of their lost power, but I'm not sure if other Juicer-types would go for this given the text even if it was possible.

Curbludgeon wrote:Perhaps the Amaki have a material akin to it for use in their Gizmoteered items.

Given that Psylite is a form of Quartz the Amaki might just use Psylite as it isn't confined to one world in canon (in 3G you also have the Strata DB6p116)
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

ShadowLogan wrote:I don't have the book so I can say one way or another about if the implant would work on a detoxed Juicer, but there is a question that might also be worth considering even if it was available: Would a detoxed Juicer even go for the implant?

Text in RUE (and present in similar form as far back as RMB) states "Note that after his experience as a Juicer, the character is likely to avoid all means of artificial augmentation such as the Combat 'Borg and Headhunter, although they are also options." (RUE pg80)

"Not likely" and "cannot" are two different categories. In a population of 8 billion (currently), that 1-in-a-million-chance happens 8000 times.

Forex, a detoxed Coalition Juicer, having successfully served his hitch and been honorably discharged might be:
1. Considered a good candidate for undergoing *another* enhancement procedure.
2. Patriotic enough to take that chance if offered.

ShadowLogan wrote:That suggests yeah you might be able to get the implant, but (essentially) former Juicers aren't likely to. A Delphi-Juicer (WB10) might be an exception wanting to reclaim some of their lost power, but I'm not sure if other Juicer-types would go for this given the text even if it was possible.

A Delphi-juicer *cannot* get the implant. They retain 4 psionic powers, and the NeruoStim implant does not work on psionic characters. So that's a nonstarter.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

thorr-kan wrote:NeuroStim implants (Coalition Manhunters) won't work on Juicers or Crazies. Those augmentation process destroy the psionic potential the NeuroStim activates. But the Juicer process doesn't destroy natural psionics. If successfully detoxified, would a NeuroStim implant work on the former Juicer?

As per your words.....(since I don't have that book)...
The potential is destroyed. So there is not potential to stimulate. As such the answer to your question is 'no'.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:NeuroStim implants (Coalition Manhunters) won't work on Juicers or Crazies. Those augmentation process destroy the psionic potential the NeuroStim activates. But the Juicer process doesn't destroy natural psionics. If successfully detoxified, would a NeuroStim implant work on the former Juicer?

As per your words.....(since I don't have that book)...
The potential is destroyed. So there is not potential to stimulate. As such the answer to your question is 'no'.

Yes and no?
Juicer conversion *explicitly* does not stop you having minor or major psionics as there are canonical juicers with psi.
So it seems to be saying one thing but the rules say another (Unless this is read as a stealth update and the juicer process now destroys psionics...how crazy implants that create psionics destroy it is an exercise to the reader I guess)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Rifts®”