Spoiled for Choice? Wizards cause problems

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Re: Spoiled for Choice? Wizards cause problems

Unread post by Aermas »

Well I can't say anything better than Hotrod did. But do know Fenris, that even Hitler himself gave passes to certain "undesirables" in his regime. I'd have to double check but I think even his tailor got a pass.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Aermas wrote:Well I can't say anything better than Hotrod did. But do know Fenris, that even Hitler himself gave passes to certain "undesirables" in his regime. I'd have to double check but I think even his tailor got a pass.

Yes, and one of the "passes" was for himself.
The CS has been entrenched for a much longer period of time, however; had the NAZIs had control of their nation for that long, I'm fairly certain the "passes" would have been gone.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
MyDumpStatIsMA
Explorer

Unread post by MyDumpStatIsMA »

Fenris2020 wrote:
Aermas wrote:Well I can't say anything better than Hotrod did. But do know Fenris, that even Hitler himself gave passes to certain "undesirables" in his regime. I'd have to double check but I think even his tailor got a pass.

The CS has been entrenched for a much longer period of time, however; had the NAZIs had control of their nation for that long, I'm fairly certain the "passes" would have been gone.

Or as time went by, people would soften and wonder why such brutality was ever necessary in the first place.

The only thing that props up a totalitarian state like the CS, is fear of a foreign entity. Not necessarily foreign by nationality, but in other ways. Point being, after Tolkeen was defeated, there could be those within the CS who are less afraid of magic. It's human nature to eventually pity the things you destroyed. The less of a threat they pose, the more likely it happens. Might take a decade, maybe a century. But eventually, you just get tired and stop killin' stuff.

Best example is the Romans. Early on, everybody who wasn't a Roman was a barbarian, therefore, everybody deserved to be subjugated and treated as inferior. Then, eventually, it became, 'hey, these barbarians aren't so bad when they copy everything we do.' And finally, it was, 'eh, let the barbarians run everything.'

If there weren't occasional bipolar swings in public sentiment, then a nation could go on existing as an unchanging monolith for millennia. Pretty sure human psychology doesn't work that way.
Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

Fenris2020 wrote:

I really don't care to go & compare dates, but the Vanguard has only relatively recently been a thing. The CS before then used magic

This is the last I'm gonna talk on this tangent. Suffice to say that I would allow it, you can do whatever you want at your own table
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

MyDumpStatIsMA wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:

Or as time went by, people would soften and wonder why such brutality was ever necessary in the first place.

The only thing that props up a totalitarian state like the CS, is fear of a foreign entity. Not necessarily foreign by nationality, but in other ways. Point being, after Tolkeen was defeated, there could be those within the CS who are less afraid of magic. It's human nature to eventually pity the things you destroyed. The less of a threat they pose, the more likely it happens. Might take a decade, maybe a century. But eventually, you just get tired and stop killin' stuff.

Best example is the Romans. Early on, everybody who wasn't a Roman was a barbarian, therefore, everybody deserved to be subjugated and treated as inferior. Then, eventually, it became, 'hey, these barbarians aren't so bad when they copy everything we do.' And finally, it was, 'eh, let the barbarians run everything.'

If there weren't occasional bipolar swings in public sentiment, then a nation could go on existing as an unchanging monolith for millennia. Pretty sure human psychology doesn't work that way.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
No.
The Romans started borrowing from day 1.
There are several reasons Rome fell, and a lot of it was internal (people get tired of being lorded over by... well, I'm not allowed to use the term on here). The NAZIs would have faced the same thing, perhaps sooner; the Communists avoided some of it by sending people to gulags en masse, but that wouldn't have been able to work for long even without outside interference. The CS, as mentioned in the CS Civil War thread, might face such a thing relatively soon, logically. "Soon" being within three generations, which historically speaking isn't long at all. Historically speaking, repressive regimes tend not to last long. They are weak within, so they can't fight the enemy without.
Personally, I think "mages" of various sort are under-used in the game; a few high-level mages should be able to lay waste to the populace of any CS city, by simply having mundane friends go in as tourists and take a few photos. They don't even need to go into any high-level areas. Teleport in after casting some protective spells, Teleport away after casting a few spells or reading a couple of high-damage scrolls. Wait a couple of months for the heightened security to relax, then do it again. The CS citizens would be so shaken up, they'd demand... SOMETHING!? And even the most indoctrinated soldier is going to be questioning the chain-of-command's effectiveness when his/ her family is in jeopardy.
Which is why I think the Siege on Tolkeen was a farce; sure, the CS should have won... but it should have cost them more than the same re-spawn those of us who watched Game of Thrones witnessed at the end of Season Eight.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!

Return to “Rifts®”