Amnesia

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SuperPumpkinMan
D-Bee

Amnesia

Unread post by SuperPumpkinMan »

Are there any official rules about trauma induced Amnesia?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Amnesia

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I forget.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

I have not read any official ones.

In real life, true complete amnesia is RARE.

In game, the most obvisous means of amnesia is the Super Psionics power of Mind Wipe.
The power is good for taking away certain memories.
I thought of it as good for wiping the mind of a guard you knock out so they won't remember seeing you or that you were ever there.
Also, good for erasing the memories of eye witnesses.
Erase bad memories of tramatic events, for mental health therapy.

To FULLY erase a mind is supposed to take 4 M.E. points from the psychic permanently. So most won't want to do it.

No written rule/explanation about what to do with the mind wiped character after that.
Assumption is they have 0 XP and start over.

I think of it as a way to sort of convert a villain character

Most TV shows have their characters experience selective amnesia. They forget who they are, what their relationships were with others, and where they hid the secret "thing" the bad guys want but remember how to dance, drive, fight, hack a computer, operate equipment, shoot a gun, and common cultural etiquette.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

You could adapt penalties in the shell shock rules in WB11 pg 58... roll against HF every time they realize there is a gap in their memory... eg. run into someone who claims to be an old friend, roll for HF.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

darthauthor wrote:In real life, true complete amnesia is RARE.

yeah.. and usually coincides with some pretty nasty brain damage. most amnesia is either temporary lasting a very brief time (usually as a result of mental traumas) , or very limited in scope (such as not retaining the memory of the details of a traumatic event)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:I forget.

:ok:
Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

darthauthor wrote:I have not read any official ones.

In real life, true complete amnesia is RARE.

In game, the most obvisous means of amnesia is the Super Psionics power of Mind Wipe.
The power is good for taking away certain memories.
I thought of it as good for wiping the mind of a guard you knock out so they won't remember seeing you or that you were ever there.
Also, good for erasing the memories of eye witnesses.
Erase bad memories of tramatic events, for mental health therapy.

To FULLY erase a mind is supposed to take 4 M.E. points from the psychic permanently. So most won't want to do it.

No written rule/explanation about what to do with the mind wiped character after that.
Assumption is they have 0 XP and start over.

I think of it as a way to sort of convert a villain character

Most TV shows have their characters experience selective amnesia. They forget who they are, what their relationships were with others, and where they hid the secret "thing" the bad guys want but remember how to dance, drive, fight, hack a computer, operate equipment, shoot a gun, and common cultural etiquette.

Deleting memories is NOT good therapy. Your memories & experiences create a matrix of consciousness that is "you". Removing a memory is like how your cornea reacts to being destroyed by a laser (don't stare at lasers kids) your brain fills in the space with predictive imagery & you don't actually notice that you've got a blind spot. Going back to memory... Sure you might not remember the trauma, but you're going to still have a load of subliminal, subconscious programing attached to it & now you won't even know why you have that behavior.

Also, to be more on topic, everyone knows that amnesia lasts as long as one comedic movie plot or until you get a coconut on the head
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

This reply is to Aermas,

I am not a mental health professional so I don't actually know if wiping out "some specific" memories are good or bad and how one would tell the difference.

I imagined something like a vampire mind slave.

Your heroic adventure party slays the vampire controling them.

They break down with nightmares or trama or something about all the terrible things they saw and did while under the control of a secondary vampire.

The mind melter in the party volunteers to make it go away so it will be like the vampire never made them a mind slave. They can live their life like it never happened because they won't remember that one week or at least the bad things their vampire mind controlled them to do.

Return to “Rifts®”