How often do you guys run commando/stealth missions?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

How often do you guys run commando/stealth missions?

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Was playing Far Cry 4 last week (10th run-thru) and it occurred to me thats something which could probably happen an awful lot but for some reason we don't talk about it much on the forums.
I only do it if my players come up with a plan that warrants it. But I suppose I could easily make such adventurers a regular occurrence if I put some effort into planning.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: How often do you guys run commando/stealth missions?

Unread post by Jefffar »

In a lot of games I play, using stealth is a wise choice.

Not that it always gets chosen, just that it's a good idea.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

They aren't rare, but not frequent either.

Whether sneaking in and out of a castle/fortress/hideout, dungeon crawling in a ruin, or weaving through a dangerous Burb, the mechanic is pretty much the same with lots of variation and, if not careful, can devolve into a night of constant dice rolling in an effort to complete the mission in a session. Sometimes that fits the mood, sometimes not.

Possible sequence of events:
- there is finding and getting to the place (navigation and roadwise rolls, maybe parachuting)
- casing the joint (surveillance, intelligence, streetwise, military tactics, military fortification rolls)
- getting to a door (every X feet a whole bunch of detect rolls, prowl rolls, maybe camouflage rolls)
- open the door (pick locks, safecracking, hacking [this could be a mini team adventure if done in a VR world where each PC has to enter to upload their biometric signature], locksmith, or demolitions rolls)
- navigate the halls and rooms (more navigation and prowl rolls every X rooms/halls)
- avoid security systems along the way (surveillance and a whole bunch of detect and Perception rolls)
- disable security systems (electronic countermeasures, hacking, sensory equipment rolls - depending on the system, may use TV/Video or Laser Comms rolls)
- slink past guards (more prowl rolls or use disguise and impersonation if prepared)
- disable guards (select your method)
- open more doors, safes, or lockers (see above)
- search for something (detect concealment, locate secret compartments, and Perception rolls)
- access restricted systems (computer operation, hacking, electronic countermeasures, cryptography, maybe literacy rolls)
- cover up signs of being there (concealment roll)
- get out (as above in reverse, even the disabling of systems and hacking if the enemy shouldn't know anyone's been there)

This is a lot of effort on the part of the GM to be prepared with traps, twists (were they sold out ahead of time and this was a setup?), and lots of detail to keep players engaged. Don't forget lots of skill roll modifiers. A key trick is to put a time limit into the mission - there will be a guard change, a covering power outage will last only so long, the target is scheduled to be moved/destroyed at dawn, etc. This is a lot of effort on the part of players to sit through a lot of dice throwing, so the storytelling and payoff better be good. Done too often and it can lose its magic. Speaking of which, magic users have spells that bypass much of this and speeds things up at the expense of losing some story tension raised by the risk of a bad die roll. I've also found that it is good to give players a quick bout of combat after to let some of them blow off some steam/frustration.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I always run commando, because laundry day corresponds to days I can run games.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

In real life, if you are not superman or have a huge army and the thing you are after can't be destroyed ninja/stealthing your way in, get the thing, and get out is the safest and often best way.

The challenge I have found as a GM is in the description and players NOT doing research before their infiltration.

Also, not turning it into a single or series of die rolls without any playing.

I have found it best to make out the map ahead of time and reward the players for doing surveillance with it.

Then, from the point with the map of the place right in front of the player(s); run the adventure scenerio.

To reward stealth and prepartion I make it easy until I don't. For challenge and drama I have the unexpected guard or waiter or lady of the night or pet dog or parrot happen along. Basically I copy a James Bond 007 movie moment. That character is always doing a stealth thing. A last minute thing "happens" even if it is some "other" crew running the same mission at a time that overlaps with the player characters, only the players competitoin got caught.

Then I have the car chase scene:
One player for the Jason Statham the "transporter" car stunts and getaway drive. Note: work out the route the characters must drive and make a map.

One or more characters to shoot at the guards or bad guys pursuing the characters. If the characters are too good and blow away the chasers in one round bring in more or a the cops.

One can do the radio and jam signals to call for backup or call ahead for a road block, throw off detection instruments and camera, change traffic lights in the drivers favor, summon a fire truck or ambulance to run interferrence, call in the cops to arrest the guards chasing the characters.

More characters?

From out of nowhere one of the pursuers is suddenly on the players vehicle with a bomb. The intruder is trying to plant the bomb or threaten or take the thing back the players took and if they can't it goes boom.
Shot them and the bomb goes off destroying the vehicle the characters are in.
Someone has to throw them off the vehicle (hand to hand). Forced melee combat.

More?
Mechanic character has to jury-rig the vehicle to keep it going or make it go faster or do something (smoke screen, oil slick, thing to give the pursuer a flat, Star Trek moment, changes the appearance (camo) of the vehicle, uses a mirror to blind the pursue ers.
I REALLY REWARD McGuyver characters for non-combat improvisation solutions. Success and XP.

6 people in one vehicle (car?)

Its a party bus. OK.
Psionic attack "reduce senses" Tk Leap (between cars). Tk push (crack windshield). Tk nails/knife to slash tires.

Medic? Unless there is an injury I don't know. performance enhancers?
Science? Batman's utility belt. Race car fuel?
Espionage? Disguise, detect ambush, construct a trap,
Rogue? Roadwise. Hide the "thing" on yourself "Concealment" skill.
Streatwise to turn a gang on the pursuers.
Pick locks to get into a car?
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

I run a lot of games where stealth is required. Usually the players come up with this plan by themselves but normally there is that one player that gives away the groups position :lol:
Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

I would tell you how I run them, but they've all been redacted
Books
D-Bee

Unread post by Books »

Does it count as a stealth mission if it goes loud but all the witnesses are dead?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

The challenge is that normally only one or two characters are skilled/equipped for stealth missions. Mike the Mage might have some really good spells for it, but Glen the Glitterboy...
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”