Why do Psi-Stalkers work for the CS?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

I know they don't ALL work for the CS.
I know the CS wants them for work because they are so good at hunting magical and supernatural baddies.

It is just that the more I read about their personality and drives the less I think I understand about how the CS recruited and kept them.

They are natural born hunters.
Kind of ultra maculine too.

I don't think they would like being told what to do.
I think they like doing what they do. IF they respect some it is someone kind of bad azz or the order is smart. Maybe like a situation with a Shifter who summons a being and orders them to do something they like to do and would do anyway.
Really it is the WHOLE psi-stalkers are 2nd class citizens attitude the would ruffle my feathers if I were a Psi-stalker. Like, I'm a psy-stalker. The CS sgt /officer reprimanding me is a normal person. I'm feeling like I'm a wolf. I don't take orders or insults from sheep. If I'm 2nd to anyone it is a more powerful Psi-Stalker.

If they are going to take an order from anyone it would be from someone whose prowess at hunting and fighting they respect. Someone who was their physical superior that could beat them up easily. The average CS SGT or Officer, even with high P.S., P.P. and P.E. is still human is not the equal or better of psi-stalker.

These guys are strong and strong willed. They don't get afraid or intimidated like a ordinary human. They have powers like a major psychic. Don't need to eat or drink except for how they feed like a vampire.

So what's in it for them that they take orders and hold themselves back (discipline) from being their own boss or running free. Why take serve the CS and take orders from them?

What am I missing?
Last edited by darthauthor on Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Why do Psi-Stalkers work for the CS?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

darthauthor wrote:Why do Psi-Stalkers work for the CS?

I know they don't ALL work for the CS.
I know the CS wants them for work because they are so good at hunting magical and supernatural baddies.

It is just that the more I read about their personality and drives the less I think I understand about how the CS recruited and kept them.

They are natural born hunters.
Kind of ultra maculine too.

I don't think they would like being told what to do.
I think they doing what they do.
If they are going to take an order from anyone it would be from someone whose prowess at hunting and fighting they respect. Someone who was their physical superior that could beat them up easily. The average CS SGT or Officer, even with high P.S., P.P. and P.E. is still human is not the equal or better of psi-stalker.

These guys are strong and strong willed. They don't get afraid or intimidated like a ordinary human. They have powers like a major psychic. Don't need to eat or drink except for how they feed like a vampire.

So what's in it for them that they take orders and hold themselves back (discipline) from being their own boss or running free. Why take serve the CS and take orders from them?

What am I missing?

Honor. Prestige. Safety for their families. A stable salary in a post-apocalyptic nightmare world. Same thing most people want, really.

Remember the CS is the culturally dominant civilization in North America, to the point that people who don't have a chance in hell of actually getting in create large shanty towns outside the Mega-Cities just on the hope that maybe, just maybe, they'll be allowed in someday.

The CS doesn't have to do a lot of recruitment: people want to join so bad they turn away most people.

when 90% of people are riding the ragged edge of genuine desperation and starvation, the people who are hoarding all the food don't got to try too hard to find recruits. Sure they're hunters, but when you hunt dangerous prey, having the backing up the biggest military makes it a lot safer.

Basically, it's because most people are just most people. Freedom for safety is a trade people tend to line up to make, if there's a clear and genuine danger.

But also helps to recall that a lot of them don't even have to be recruited: they were just born in the CS and growing up with highly effective propaganda find service to be natural and desireable.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

RUE seems clear -
Like the Dog Boys, the human mutants known as Psi-Stalkers have also won the growing respect and friendship of the human troops they
work with. Humans tend to regard Psi-Stalkers as savages and primitives compared to the "civilized" people of Chi-Town and the Coalition States. Consequently, they are often looked down upon and treated as second-class citizens. However, on the Tolkeen Front they have proven themselves to be cunning, wily and courageous warriors who look into the face of the enemy with a smile or snarl. Recognized as skilled Wilderness Scouts and fearless warriors, Psi-Stalkers have been elevated to the ranks of fellow soldier and equal (or close to it), at least when it comes to fighting. However, Psi-Stalkers are not nearly as appreciated nor loved as the Dog Boys

and later on says -
The Coalition's prejudice against nonhumans means that although Psi-Stalkers are accepted in human society as soldiers and enforcers, they can never achieve the same rank as true humans or find acceptance in polite society. That's okay by most Psi-Stalkers as they are natural hunters who don't seek any other position in society.

Their military counterparts accept them it sounds like to me, at least on the battlefield. The Psi-Stalker doesn't care what the civilians think, and as long as the CS provides all the weapons, gear, tools, training, paycheck, 3 hots and a cot, and most importantly TARGETS, it's all good.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

One wonders to what degree creature comforts have an impact here. For Psi-Stalkers not seeing active combat their on-site PPE feed stock is probably something easily stored but not really hunted, like rats. I'm thinking VR hunting scenarios might see some amount of use.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”