The Lost Ones

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

The Lost Ones

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

An interesting race, not well developed, is The Lost Ones.
Are they all Mind Melters, or can they be any Psychic OCC? The latter makes a bit more sense, I'd think.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Re: The Lost Ones

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

No real info in the write up. I would say yes any Master Psychic but use the ISP listed with the Dreamer.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Fenris2020 wrote:An interesting race, not well developed, is The Lost Ones.
Are they all Mind Melters, or can they be any Psychic OCC? The latter makes a bit more sense, I'd think.

What book are they in?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The book says equivalent to Mind Melter, and I reckon most psychic choices are less diversified than that, so can't imagine most people whom include Lost Ones in a game would restrict it. I suppose someone could cheese out a Mind Mage gaining Conversion Book bonuses to get a little something over on a Mind Melter, and if so congratulations, they min/maxed a Palladium game.

I'd argue that classes described as being based on mutations such as Psi-Stalker and Psi-Ghost get cut if anything does, and esoteric classes like Astral Lord and Dream Maker make a little more narrative sense than, say, Burster.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

RE: OP's question
No I do not think they can pick an OCC, this is specifically called out as an RCC with no indication you can take other OCCs. If fact the Level of Experience is specifically called out as "9th Level Lost One", further suggesting this is supposed to be an RCC (given it is equivalent to a Mind Melter I'd say that is how you would pick the skills and do power progression, though ISP is addressed). She is even called out to be a supernatural creature, which IINM would further points to being confined to being just a Mind Melter.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:An interesting race, not well developed, is The Lost Ones.

What book are they in?

Rifts Mercenaries (1st book pg49-50)
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Mlp7029 wrote:No real info in the write up. I would say yes any Master Psychic but use the ISP listed with the Dreamer.

ShadowLogan wrote:RE: OP's question
No I do not think they can pick an OCC, this is specifically called out as an RCC with no indication you can take other OCCs. If fact the Level of Experience is specifically called out as "9th Level Lost One", further suggesting this is supposed to be an RCC (given it is equivalent to a Mind Melter I'd say that is how you would pick the skills and do power progression, though ISP is addressed). She is even called out to be a supernatural creature, which IINM would further points to being confined to being just a Mind Melter.

In theory they could be some other master psionic but after reviewing a RUE and Psyscape I really don't see any that would fit the OCC so I am forced to agree with ShadowLogan that it would only be mind melter.

A bigger problem I found is what Experience point table to use. It says they are equivalent to mind melters but if you let a what is in effect at least a demi-god and moving towards godling advance that easily then there would be little reason to play a regular mortal mind melter.

They are a cool character concept though, wish they did more with them not to mention so many other great characters from the Merc book.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Warshield73 wrote:
Mlp7029 wrote:No real info in the write up. I would say yes any Master Psychic but use the ISP listed with the Dreamer.

In theory they could be some other master psionic but after reviewing a RUE and Psyscape I really don't see any that would fit the OCC so I am forced to agree with ShadowLogan that it would only be mind melter.

A bigger problem I found is what Experience point table to use. It says they are equivalent to mind melters but if you let a what is in effect at least a demi-god and moving towards godling advance that easily then there would be little reason to play a regular mortal mind melter.

They are a cool character concept though, wish they did more with them not to mention so many other great characters from the Merc book.

Hmm, more likely the Lost Ones would use the Servant of the Gods race xp table in Pantheons, rather than demi-god... an actual demi-god is quite a bit more powerful.
I do think it's a pity the race wasn't developed just a BIT more, though...
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Fenris2020 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

Hmm, more likely the Lost Ones would use the Servant of the Gods race xp table in Pantheons, rather than demi-god... an actual demi-god is quite a bit more powerful.

Demi-gods are marginally more powerful being able to select a power and an OCC but I think either table would work.

I have always wished that PB just had a set 10 to 12 standard XP charts that went from easiest to hardest so these things could be better evaluated and even simplified.

Another great place for this RCC is BTS or even HU but BTS really suits this as an NPC RCC, not a PC.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Curbludgeon
Hero

Using a dozen experience charts doesn't make it easier to pad books, so instead the audience gets hundreds of... formulae? Is that what they are?

In my headcanon, the Lost Ones are the descendants of Achilles Neo-Humans and Sea Titans born sometime in an alternate Rifts Earth's future. A mutant capybara* ritual led by a rogue Promethian Time Master gone awry, through some sort of sympathetic transdimensional resonance with the energies of the Janus Experiment, both caused the strange rift whose energies led to the creation of the Sea Titans and stranded a number of only-then Lost Ones in the main Rifts Earth's prehistory.

*There's some sort of rodents on an exercise wheel/time loop joke here which I haven't nailed down.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Curbludgeon wrote:Using a dozen experience charts doesn't make it easier to pad books, so instead the audience gets hundreds of... formulae? Is that what they are?

In reality most of the "new" XP charts repeat old ones but it would be a lot easier to compare relative advancement if there was a set number labeled easiest to hardest and then each OCC simply says use chart A or chart K and you know that one OCC advances slower or faster.

Curbludgeon wrote:In my headcanon, the Lost Ones are the descendants of Achilles Neo-Humans and Sea Titans born sometime in an alternate Rifts Earth's future. A mutant capybara* ritual led by a rogue Promethian Time Master gone awry, through some sort of sympathetic transdimensional resonance with the energies of the Janus Experiment, both caused the strange rift whose energies led to the creation of the Sea Titans and stranded a number of only-then Lost Ones in the main Rifts Earth's prehistory.

*There's some sort of rodents on an exercise wheel/time loop joke here which I haven't nailed down.

That is certainly unique even for head canon. As they are now they just make for a great mystery.
Curbludgeon
Hero

Maybe the particular shenanigans are a bit contrived, and throwing in Sea Titans is just for fun, but the basic similarity of psychic powers and extended lifespan stood out to me for the two notions by the same writer being possibly related.
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Warshield73 wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

Demi-gods are marginally more powerful being able to select a power and an OCC but I think either table would work.

I have always wished that PB just had a set 10 to 12 standard XP charts that went from easiest to hardest so these things could be better evaluated and even simplified.

Another great place for this RCC is BTS or even HU but BTS really suits this as an NPC RCC, not a PC.

You and I have very different views on "marginal".
A demi-god gains a special power, gains MDC per level, and is fire and cold resistant.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Fenris2020 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

You and I have very different views on "marginal".
A demi-god gains a special power, gains MDC per level, and is fire and cold resistant.

I see your point, all I was really saying is the power difference between a mortal mind melter and a lost one is FARRRRR greater than the difference between a lost one and a demi-god. When you compare the lost one to a demi-god is some attributes the lost one comes out ahead in others the demi-god is better. The demi-god does have additional powers but the lost one is really close to it.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

I'd agree.

Though if you want to choose another master psychic, Mind Mage from Fantasy would work, as would Mind Master from Nightbane's Between the Shadows.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Warshield73 wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:You and I have very different views on "marginal".

I see your point, all I was really saying is the power difference between a mortal mind melter and a lost one is FARRRRR greater than the difference between a lost one and a demi-god. When you compare the lost one to a demi-god is some attributes the lost one comes out ahead in others the demi-god is better. The demi-god does have additional powers but the lost one is really close to it.

I would have to compare them to be sure, but i suspect the mortal mind melter and a lost one power difference might be much closer to that between the average mystic and the Cernun Mystics in Rifts: England.
Even if not quite, probably a better jumping off point to extrapolate and tinker with into tooling the Lost Ones in a fully functional OCC, i guess.

Return to “Rifts®”