Colony Ship plans anyone?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Colony Ship plans anyone?

Unread post by Nightmask »

Anyone seen or create plans for a fully functional colony ship with the basic minimums required to set up, maintain, and expand upon a colony? I've always liked the idea of them but the shipbuilding rules for Heroes Unlimited in the Galaxy Guide is absent some of the critical features like how many modules a factory kit would take up in order to process raw materials and create finished goods. Plus some ideas and guidelines for what constitutes minimum needs and what items are luxuries or one should most ensure that they've got extras of.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Re: Colony Ship plans anyone?

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Try looking in Robotech, the SDF-1 had a fully functional city on board.
Nightmask
Palladin

AlanGunhouse wrote:Try looking in Robotech, the SDF-1 had a fully functional city on board.

Well they don't have any design plans or structural details to that degree, we just know that they can apparently produce at least basic materials (and still had to get resupplied on Earth for the civilian population that was held hostage by the government).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

If nothing currently exists, I don't see any problems with creating one of your own to use in your games. Or even submit to the Rifter for inclusion as part of an udpate to the existing ship-building rules?
Nightmask
Palladin

Severus Snape wrote:If nothing currently exists, I don't see any problems with creating one of your own to use in your games. Or even submit to the Rifter for inclusion as part of an udpate to the existing ship-building rules?

Hmmm, a possibility. It's just a weak spot in my knowledge and so not one I feel comfortable just doing 'off the cuff' as it were. Just like the lack of recycling systems being covered in the existing rules, or covering the contributions of hydroponics facilities.

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Perhaps something in Mutants in Orbit? Not sure, but it is my next thought
Nightmask
Palladin

AlanGunhouse wrote:Perhaps something in Mutants in Orbit? Not sure, but it is my next thought

Unfortunately while they refer to Self-Sustaining Ships they've no actual guidelines or references on building them or even how large they are. They also have a set size for recycling gear for waste (around a ton I think) without any consideration to the size of the ship when recycling gear for things like oxygen and septic systems would have to be larger as the ship grows larger and based on how big a crew you're wanting/needing to support.

Rifts: Manhunters while quite limited is probably the only place I've seen or remember seeing a reference to a factory package and it only really fits in the larger sized ships as it takes up a lot of module space, but it can apparently process any raw material to produce any finished goods you want based on the material in question. I might just have to look over those sizes, compare with the Galaxy Guide, and see what kind of estimated module cost you can expect for that in Heroes Unlimited, but it still doesn't cover the rest of the requirements for a colony ship.

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Colony ships have to be pretty big, the minimum viable size for a colony is like 50000 people
Nightmask
Palladin

AlanGunhouse wrote:Colony ships have to be pretty big, the minimum viable size for a colony is like 50000 people

Minimum necessary population would be around 5000, with more being better. However you're neglecting basic modern science (let alone comic book super-hero science), i.e. the ability to simply store genetic material for transport rather than the entire organism. So you don't need 5000 humans you need 5000 genetically diverse individuals. I also wonder how they work that out as if it's based on conventional reproduction (i.e. generally considered as couples pairing off to reproduce) rather than modern ability to use the genetic material to generate multiple offspring via artificial means pairing all possible combinations. Believe me the number of combinations goes up exponentially as you increase the numbers of males and females by just a few. Going from a few dozen males and females each by the time you're getting into the second generation you can reach into the thousands of possible combinations from that root of 12 males and 12 females. The math gets enormously complex just from that small number of starting people let alone if you're trying to do a population of thousands. Realistically with so many using modern techniques you could get in dozens of generations before exhausting all those combinations and having to worry about possible inbreeding.

AlanGunhouse
Champion

No idea how they worked it out, it was just listed as the minimum size for a population required to prevent genetic drift.
Nightmask
Palladin

AlanGunhouse wrote:No idea how they worked it out, it was just listed as the minimum size for a population required to prevent genetic drift.

Actually I believe you want genetic drift, without enough genetic diversity you develop problems like mutations, genetic diseases like hemophilia, and eventually sterility. I imagine though that the math for that was done based on conventional population interaction rather than things like taking along banked genetics to ensure diversity and producing all possible genetic combinations to ensure the widest range of genetic mixing possible. You can get an astounding number of offspring that way, enough that without being shown the math you'd go 'you're kidding, there's no way that few could produce that many offspring without inbreeding' and yet it's entirely possible.

With sufficient advanced technology you could easily outstrip the ability to raise all of them at one time and end up having to produce some interesting societal adaptations in order for the few adults to raise the many children of the next generation (and if the starting pool is more than around 5 each male and female it'll become pretty much impossible for the existing number of adults to raise all the possible children in the next generation without a LOT of robotic assistance). Consider that for just 10 males and 10 females in Generation Zero producing one male and one female offspring you'll have 100 kids of each gender produced. Of Generation One ten males and ten females are related leaving you with roughly 90 unrelated offspring to cross with the other 90, or around 8100 children of each gender from Generation One going into generation Two. Mind you that doesn't count all the children in Generation One whose genetics can be mixed with the unrelated genetics of Generation Zero. That gets something like 9x90x2 children of each gender. After that point you need a lot of paper and patience to plot out the complex equation that results as you increase the numbers of Generation Zero.

You might have seen the episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation with the planet of clones having to join up with the rustic irish sorts. As Picard noted every man would have to have at least three women to generate offspring with to produce sufficient numbers to deal with the problems of the clones and their limited genetic options. Of course the clone planet was fairly poorly handled anyway since if they had cloning they could have still allowed for a measure of normal reproduction as even limited it would have still produced a wider base of genetic offspring to work with.

Nightmask
Palladin

amodernheathen wrote:10,000(0) healthy, genetically compatible people, (1/2 male, 1/2 female) entirely unrelated to each other, produce 5,000(0) zygotes. The ratio of offspring should be heavy to the female, at least 2:1 unless the plan is for a slow growth colony, as the number of mothers have greater control over population growth than the number of fathers. In case of smaller populations a ratio of 5 or even 10 to 1 is more appropriate. Or they could be planning on heavy use of reproductive assistance technology

Once a suitable planet is reached, the zygotes can be grown, tube-schooled, and hatched in less than 6 months. (Time estimate based on the Rule of Round Numbers.)

A ships crew of about 30 should be sufficient, 6 on 24 frozen, with 2 year Tours, and the rest in a Vacation Capsule. In the case of prolonged travel between Galactic Arms, the ship can be handled solely by computer, preserving lifespan for the crew.

Once a suitable planet is located, the crew can fully awaken, and place the first Habitat. The Habitat will hold 100 colonists. New colonists will be hatched every 5 years, each Hatching doubling the size of the previous one. This will provide a natural societal structure, and allow the crew to ensure psychological and social viability of the Colonists, and to train the existing Colonists to guide the next Hatching. A small universal factory will be stored as components aboard the ship, and can be used to manufacture components for more specialized factories. Full viability can be achieved in approximately 20 years.

Wow I like that, did you come up with that yourself or is it base off of something from somewhere else?

Nightmask
Palladin

amodernheathen wrote:I've actually played around with colonization theories and stories for quite a while. This was the result of reading the previous posts and getting inspired. Every time I saw something happening, from freezie transport, equal gender allocation, to simultaneous Hatching, long term duty by the crew, I saw the problems and solutions. Took me about 2 minutes to write. Haven't done fast techie sci-fi work like this in a while. I honestly hope it means I'm coming back.

Nice, they're a favorite of mine as well (as you might notice). I just haven't delved overly deep into the full range of problems and concerns so thought I'd see what advice others might have on the top.

AtB genetics technology would provide extremely valuable help in such a task, since it comes with the artificial womb technology so you can transport a number of banked genetics instead of trying to bring along too many full-sized organisms (although you have to bring some in case of problems with the stored material). Having to depend on conventional reproduction means like you note a need to be heavy on the female end of the ratio and that can lead to Gynocracies rather than balancing things more towards a democracy. The Bambioids (anthro deer naturally) created by one artist have like a six to one ratio and the males are kept away from anything hazardous particularly leadership positions because they're considered too valuable to risk.

World building from scratch is fun to map out though. So what root technologies are necessary at a minimum for colonizing a world? Assuming that unlike many sci-fi shows and stories that many worlds are fairly lifeless rocks or at least haven't evolved anything complex and useful you need to be able to terraform it with enough bio-diversity to create a self-sustaining and replicating environment. Got to be able to feed and shelter everyone at the basic level after all (and of course breathe), in case technology crashes left them at the primitive level and having to develop pretty much from the caveman stage again.

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well thers the Spirit of Fire from Halo wars.

The Colonist will be cold sleep,they will also have a Dna bank and a Iron Womb,to give a boost to ther population

You also must think about the type of Ftl you use and the Trival time.
Tenchnomage3055
D-Bee

Unread post by Tenchnomage3055 »

Are there any rules or books for building ships? Which books should I get?
I travel between Dimensions and worlds trying to meet others and learning new things hoping to found more friends who want to travel and explore new worlds as much as I do.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Tenchnomage3055 wrote:Are there any rules or books for building ships? Which books should I get?

Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide is the only book with actual rules in place for building spaceships. The other books just have either lists of spaceships or lists of parts (some list both) but don't go into any details of how much space things take up like the AUGG does.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Sence this topic was posted... I did a write up of an expansion of the Space-/starship construction text that is found in the AU:GG gamebook. Which does included a full bio-recycling plants. along with other things based on real science and PB magics.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Sence this topic was posted... I did a write up of an expansion of the Space-/starship construction text that is found in the AU:GG gamebook. Which does included a full bio-recycling plants. along with other things based on real science and PB magics.

Then where is it? :?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Beast wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Sence this topic was posted... I did a write up of an expansion of the Space-/starship construction text that is found in the AU:GG gamebook. Which does included a full bio-recycling plants. along with other things based on real science and PB magics.

Hasn't been published. I submitted it to for rifter publication.
*tags the Beast's PMs*
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

There might be some old Traveler ship deck plans out there.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Hasn't been published. I submitted it to for rifter publication.
*tags the Beast's PMs*
How long ago did you submit it? Is it lost in Kevin's office?
Also, this thread is nine years old. I'm surprised no one has shut it down for necroposting.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

about a year after this topic was written.

I titled it "Galaxy Unlimited". (which while sounds good I'm not totally attached to it if changing it will get it published.)
There were three parts: expansion of the ship Const. text., personal equipment, and detailing a few planets & two sectors in the MW galaxy (the Gal. Rim here the toogarth empire and a sector 'somewhere' between FAR space and the TGE properties.)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Also, is your colony ship going to make repeat trips ferrying additional colonists and material, or maybe stay intact as a space platform, deep space miner, or escape ship, or is it going to be landed and dismantled for materials and systems, never to rise again?

In the former case, military surplus or commercial designs might be the way to go, while in the second scenario, a custom-built or modified design might be the ticket.

But here's a colony/refugee ship design I'd originally posted over in the MDC forums, though its setting is in a superhero world:

Areosian ‘Zultan’-class Colony Starship

Sometime during the preparations for Launch, Protector Vidar had to duck through the Colonist In-Processing Center where lines of refugees-no, colonists, he reminded himself, waited patiently in line for their final medical checkups and induction into stasis, their few allowed personal possessions already loaded into the cargo bays of the massive starship towering overhead outside the processing center. As he walked past the lines he and his uniform had gained instant recognition, getting him smiles, cheers, thumbs up, handshakes, offers of kisses and requests for kisses, and even a few offers to bear his children when the Ship reached its destination and they started building their new homes.
The Recalitrants were still bad though....shuffling along sullenly, stripped of dignity and clothes alike, their arms bound behind them, looking like slaves being coffled for auction or animals being led to slaughter, instead of medical preparation for stasis. Unlike the citizen-evacuees, these ones didn’t greet him with cheer, if they even bothered looking up at him at all as he passed.
Didn’t they realize that every effort was being bent to save their lives? One didn’t require special instruments or even enhanced vision to see that the sun blazing overhead at the Launch Site wasn’t behaving right! Everybody HAD to pack up and leave, and they would need everybody, to insure the survival of their people! The government wasn’t doing this TO them, to sentence them to some sort of vile slavery! It was doing it FOR them, to give them a chance of survival, of continued LIFE! Areos wasn’t going to abandon them to a horrible death by solar cremation, even if they weren’t exactly exemplary citizens in better times!
Viidar reminded hmself to remain upbeat and see the silver linings; they had a good ship ready to go, they were on track to saving their planet’s population, saving their culture and societies, and they were finally going out into the greater universe! Vidar was going to see the galaxy!

Areos was a human-sept-inhabited world similar in many ways to 21st-century Earth, though Areos had a few differences; one was the presence of superbeings, superpowered humans straight out of comic books. The other was an alien invasion that galvinized the industrial nations of Areos into a frantic technology build-up to drive off the invaders. Using captured and reverse-engineered alien technology, the Areosians made great strides in aerospace, materials, and energy production technologies. To augment the small numbers of natural mutant superbeings who were in the vanguard of their armies, the Areosians also learned how to genetically engineer superpowers into people. Against such soldiers, the aliens were defeated and driven from the system.
But the aliens had the last laugh; the Areosians learned soon after that their sun had been sabotaged and was becoming erratic, swelling and surging in size and intensity. In less than a century, their planet would be engulfed in a solar inferno.
The Areosians set out on a massive starship building program to transport their populace away to worlds that they knew from captured alien star charts could support their type of life. All the nations of Areos, already accustomed to working together fighting the aliens, were able to get into the business of building an evacuation fleet smoothly and efficiently; earlier fears that ‘survival lotteries’ would be needed to determine who went on the ships were unrealized. There would be ships enough for all.
The shipbuilding program was so successful in fact, that the Areosians then swept up the less developed cultures on their planet to accompany the refugee fleet. Not everybody wanted to go along with the evacuation program, either disbelieving what the astronomers were predicting, or determined to stay with their doomed planet. The united world government gave them no choice, equally determined not to leave anybody(the exception being obvious raging psychopaths and the most monstrous of criminals) behind. The ‘Recalitrants’ were rounded up and forced aboard the refugee ships, of which there were many available.
Several colony ship designs were mass-produced by the Areosians, but the ‘Zultan’(“Escape”)-class was the most common, a combination of alien ‘fast-drive’ and ‘slowboat’ stasis technologies. The skyscraper-tall cylindrical Zultans were fast and sturdy vessels with state-of-the-art systems, carrying all the necessary supplies and equipment for a self-sustaining colony, and festooned with a small fleet of parasite craft. The Zultans would carry a passenger complement of several thousand colonists in stasis, watched over and protected by a rotating ‘awake watch’ of superpowered crewmembers.
Later, as the Areosian star become more violent and desperation set in to finish the evacuation, the crew complements became more varied. Some ships were manned entirely by non-augments, others captained by cyborgs who were linked to their ships, and still others were wholly automated, Artificial Intelligences running the ships while the passengers slept. The construction program and evacuation was finished just as the Areosian sun entered its terminal phase and began expanding into a red giant. The last ships off used their planet’s shadow to shield them until they could light off their star drives and escape the radiation front surging out from the dying sun.
Compared to the vessels of the major powers of the Three Galaxies, Zultans are slow, although their propulsion systems are considered state of the art for heavy space transport by the Areosians(their smaller military vessels are faster, but not suitable for the demands of the mass exodus). Zultans are intended as ‘sleeper’ ships, carrying most of their complement aboard in biostasis, the better to stretch onboard supplies and reduce psychological strain. Even the crew rotates in and out of stasis. Zultans lack the capacity to keep all of the ship’s passenger complement awake and housed at the same time; maximum ‘awake’ capacity is 2,600 and is meant to be used to stage several batches of colonists prior to disembarking on a new world.
Though slow, Zultans are heavily armored, against anticipated impacts with interstellar debris at the ships’ maximum speed. Heavily protected and multiple redundancy systems provide reliability over the anticipated long migration journey, and reduce the chances of a critical strike crippling the entire vessel. They also carry several arrays of long range lasers and missile launchers for dealing with larger debris and alien threats. Also mounted in recesses along the outer hull is a small armada of small craft to assist in developing new homeworlds. Many Zultans went into space in groups, and/or accompanied by small fleets of robotic freighters carrying additional supplies(including cultural materials, personal possessions and artifacts not deemed valuable enough to carry aboard the life-arks themselves, but which could be packed into the less important freighters).
While the Areosian evacuation went off successfully, the overall success of the program as a whole has been spotty, owing to the wide dispersal of, and breakdown of communications between, the exodus fleet. Some ships inevitably failed, breaking down and becoming derelicts, others found worlds to settle on, only to fail due to various factors. Others fell prey to alien pirates and slavers. A few colony ships fell victim to their own; the superbeings appointed as the ships’ protectors instead deciding that they could be kings(or queens) and becoming tyrants over the new colonies. Some of the later ships fell victim to malfunctioning A.I.s who took over total control of the humans.
A few stumbled across the other civilizations of the Three Galaxies, wandering into CCW-space and AMAZED to discover another society of starfaring humans.
Areosian exodus ships can still be found in free space in the Three Glaxies or even other universes, looking for new homeworlds or waiting for rescue. Likewise, their accompanying robofreighters can be found in space carrying some rather eccentric payloads(salvagers tell of finding everything from building materials to art treasures, liqour collections, and even entire disassembled antique homes!).

Type: A-Ex03 Zultan
Class: Colony Starship
Crew: 120+6,300 passengers/colonists in stasis
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 90,000
Bridge 10,000
Long Range Lasers(4) each
Long Range Missile Launchers(8 )
Engine Bloc 25,000
Tail Fin Radiators(18) 400 each
Height: 558 ft
Width: 558 ft
Length: 1,850 ft
Weight: 980,000 tons
Cargo: Carries some 400,000 tons of colonization supplies and equipment.
Powerplant: Nuclear Fusion supplemented by solar power
Some later models used experimental antimatter propulsion systems based on reverse-engineered alien technology..
Speed:
(Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 3; transatmospheric.
(Sublight) Mach 10
(Kitsune Values: 15% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 1.0% of light speed per hour)
(FTL) 0.2 light years per day
(Underwater) Not possible
Market Cost: If an intact and operational Zultan were made available on the galactic market, it could fetch about 1.8 billion credits, more if it had a full complement of small craft and colonization supplies. Of course, pirates and slavers will regard crew and passengers as additional ‘value’.
Systems of Note:
Standard Starship Systems:

*Full Sensor Suite---Specialized sensor pallets include radiation detectors and counters, spectrographic analysis devices, gravitic sensors, electromagnetic activity readers, and optics packages.
*Long Range Radar---Phased Array Search and Early Warning Radars---Maximum Resolution Range of 300,000 miles. Navigational array has a range of 1 million miles.
*Laser Targeting-------100,000 miles
*Communications Suite:---Long Range Radio and Video
*Laser Communications ---Tactical (i.e. ship-to fighter/shuttle)Range: 50,000 miles.
*Optical Tracking Clusters----These are transparent blisters fitted with gimbal-mounted high-resolution visible-light/IR/UV optical telescopes that continually scan the arc of sky before them. Linked to the navigational arrays and other tracking sensors, and to a series of highly-sophisticated near-AI search and discrimination software systems, these sensors attempt to detect objects that have low radar returns/sensor signatures, such as stealthed vehicles, iceballs, or asteroids. The high-tech equivalent of the man in the crow’s nest with a pair of binoculars.

*High Resolution Optics---Another surface surveillance system, for producing high-resolution optical imagery of a planetary surface. Includes thermographic optics for detecting heat sources and missile launch plumes.

*Radiation Detectors---Detect the presence of radiation, from the trace emissions of nuclear powerplants to nuclear explosions.

*Magnetic Shield----Zultans generate low level magnetic fields that are configured to deflect radiation. They reduce damage from ion and particle beam weapons by HALF, and can confuse and deflect guided missiles 35% of the time.

*Modular Design---Zultans were designed to be easily broken up upon landing, to become parts of the new colonial settlement; the cryo-bays would become refrigeration units for food storage, life support systems heating, ventilation and hydroponics starters for the colonists, the engines powerplants, the weapons module a communications and defense tower, the hull panels recycled into habitat housing. Some parts could even be made into orbiting space stations for communications and weather studies at the colonists’ new home.

Weapons Systems:
1) Long Range Lasers(4)---These are meant for both asteroid defense and anti-spacecraft work.
Range: 25 miles in atmosphere, 50 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 25 miles in atmosphere, 25,000 miles in space)
Damage: 2d6x100 MD per shot
Rate of Fire: Twice per melee
Payload: Effectively Unlimited

2) Long Range Missile Launchers(8 )---These are combination weapon and probe launchers.
Range: Varies by Missile Type
(Kitsune Values: 3,400 miles in atmosphere, 1,800,000 miles in space)
Damage:Varies by Missile Type
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-5
Payload: 50 missiles each launcher, 300 ready-to-fire total; additional missiles may be carried and loaded from cargo, but will take at least 30 minutes(1 ton of cargo per 12 missiles)

Auxiliary Craft:
4 Nuclear Orbiters---Orbital survey platforms and tugs(12 man crews, 1,000 MDC, Mach 6 in space)
8 Nuclear Rockets---Deep space tugs and prospecting craft( 15 man crews, 1,000 MDC, Mach 10 in space)
12 Aerospace Shuttles---Passenger shuttles and transatmospheric cutters(6 man crews, plus 30 passengers. 600 MDC, Mach 7 in space, transatmospheric. Armed: x4 light lasers)
12 Heavy Aerospace Shuttles---Heavy cargo shuttles(6 man crews, plus 300 passengers. 900 MDC, Mach 6 in space, transatmospheric)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The communications and sensor systems make it look like you didn't use the AU:GG text to create that colony ship.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The communications and sensor systems make it look like you didn't use the AU:GG text to create that colony ship.

No, I didn't...as I said, it was for Rifts/MDC/slap-clap-and-nail, but I'm hoping it can give folks ideas about at least one form of colony ship design.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

AlanGunhouse wrote:Try looking in Robotech, the SDF-1 had a fully functional city on board.

True, but that was by accident. They (stupidly) folded space while hovering over Macross Island, and brought about a kilometre radius sphere of everything with them...including the population whom were in bomb shelters at the time.

For a "Colony Ship" (sometimes called a Generational Ship), think of the Magog World Ship in Andromeda, or "For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky" in the Original ST series, or the ship in the movie "Passengers." (Although the ship in Passengers would not be considered a Generational Ship, because the crew and passengers were in suspension sleep.)
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

From the RT:SC artbook.
The Pioneer (rebuilt SDF-3) has space for 120K passengers.
The Liberator: 150k passengers.
The Ark-Angel class colony ships: 750k passengers.
(note that the RT:SC AB has no game stats.)
taalismn
Priest

Borast wrote:

True, but that was by accident. They (stupidly) folded space while hovering over Macross Island, and brought about a kilometre radius sphere of everything with them...including the population whom were in bomb shelters at the time.

For a "Colony Ship" (sometimes called a Generational Ship), think of the Magog World Ship in Andromeda, or "For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky" in the Original ST series, or the ship in the movie "Passengers." (Although the ship in Passengers would not be considered a Generational Ship, because the crew and passengers were in suspension sleep.)

The Axiom, from WALL-E, even though the planet they were to (re)colonize was their own Earth. Good example of a generation ship, since we see the results of generations of couch-potato breeding.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

taalismn wrote:The Axiom, from WALL-E, even though the planet they were to (re)colonize was their own Earth. Good example of a generation ship, since we see the results of generations of couch-potato breeding.

Ironically that is one of my more favoured animated films in the last 10 or so years, and here I never thought of it...however, in a way, it does make sense, since the intent was to remove people for 10-20 years while they work to repair the planet. That they were out for 6(?) generations was an oopsie.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Geranimo Class Colony ship.

This class of colony ship was developed by the Antos Corporation to sell to groups who wished to leave their home-world to head into the dark to find a world of their own. The design was subsidized by their government to be able to build a ship that would be relatively easy to convert to a troop transport/fleet collier.

Because of the drive used most of the ships in this class tend to be used for long hall trips lasting 10 years or more. Which is also why the over-abundance of sleep/stasis pods and crew automation are included. So the crew can sleep with the passengers for most of the trip. Waking from time to time to make sure the ship maintenance is being done correctly.

That there are more quarters than crew is also a factor. When they get to a target star they would need to wake the boffins to see if the planet is truly stable for their people.

Geranimo class colony ship.
Hull type: Transport
Tonnage: 20,000
Dimensions:
Length: 100,000 ft
Width: 20,000 ft
Height: 25,000 ft
Displacement Weight: 200,000 tons
Total Cost: 250 million credits.

Minimum Crew: 20, maximum Sleep/stasis: 650.
Drive Type: Interstellar Buzzard RamJet.
Maximum FTL Speed Factor: 100 time the speed of light.
Atmospheric Flight: not possible.
Hull SDC: 45,000.

Weapons:
40 SRM box launcher clusters concealed (20 per cluster).⚚
4 mass driver long range missile launchers. (15 seconds launch rate).⚚

Defensive systems
4 Extended Range Point defense Lt. Lasers. (60 mile range & +5 to hit)⚚
Magnetic shield
Missle Magazine ⚚

Communications, Sensors and Computer systems
Adv. Sensor Array
Targeting Radar and Combat Computer
Super Navigation Computer (95% both FLT & Sub-light nav.)
Geological Sensors
Perimeter Motion Detection Sensors and Collision Warning Sensors.

Other Ship’s Systems
Artificial Gravity Genorator
Recycle plant type 3 Life support 500 crew rated⚚
Recycle plant type 3 Life support 30 crew rated⚚
Crew Quarters Standard (500)
Recreations Facilities (3)
Crew Automation (30)
Sleep Stasis Pods (6,500)
Atmo-Tanks (1,000)
Madi-Box (10)⚚
Type One Machine-shop (physical tools: cnc & others)⚚
Launch Bays (1,000 ton rated)
Basic Cargo Holds (10,000 ton rated)
10,763.9 Modules for cargo and modifications.

⚚ are from my expantion of the space-/starship construction text.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Does the OP want ship stats or deck plans?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I have not seen NM post anything in quite a while.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”