Western Empire knights...?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Western Empire knights...?

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

The Western Empire certainly doesn't lack for cavalry, but I'm curious as to whether or not said horsemen are actually knights. Traditionally, knights were raised by local nobles...but I'm having difficulty thinking that the Emperor would allow the various regional and provincial houses to have such men answerable to them first and the Empire second. Moreover, Janisaries cannot take WP Lance.

So, when we talk about Imperial cavalry... what do we mean?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Western Empire knights...?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Braden Campbell wrote:The Western Empire certainly doesn't lack for cavalry, but I'm curious as to whether or not said horsemen are actually knights. Traditionally, knights were raised by local nobles...but I'm having difficulty thinking that the Emperor would allow the various regional and provincial houses to have such men answerable to them first and the Empire second. Moreover, Janisaries cannot take WP Lance.

So, when we talk about Imperial cavalry... what do we mean?

I would imagine that you might have a number of knights directly loyal to the Emperor, of course.

But I also think you're going to have a number of knights loyal to the lesser houses. Sure, they can muster some force and even fight with each other, but they can't match the might of the emperor, especially since he will bring the OTHER houses in on his side, and you will lose whatever you have to your ancient enemies.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Skordi and Kieju Itomas are knights of house Itomas for example, and many of the nobles are knights as well. One of the cities has a knight who was kicked out of his order but made enough money to have a decent living
The Head Janissary is actually a knight, rather than a janissary.
The knights don't seem to be classed as cavalry as they tend to be mentioned differently i.e house oslof has a small army that consists of no cavalry, a smattering of knights and mages and 8000 troops.
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Mark Hall wrote:.. you're going to have a number of knights loyal to the lesser houses. Sure, they can muster some force and even fight with each other, but they can't match the might of the emperor, especially since he will bring the OTHER houses in on his side, and you will lose whatever you have to your ancient enemies.

Excellent point!
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”