"Best" Pistols?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

"Best" Pistols?

Unread post by RockJock »

Yeah, I know a question like that has a huge number of answers. I'm really looking for two sets of pistols, one energy, one ballistic. Here are a few constraints and details:

1)North American origin(or at least something findable like Triax).

2)Shootable one handed by a strong character(augmented/robotic PS26).

3)Energy hogs are fine.

4)Versatility is a plus(shoots underwater, variable laser, critical hit, variable ammo types etc).

For the energy pistol option I'm looking at The Triax TX-27 Particle Beam Pistol from Triax 2, or the old NG Long Pistol as starting points. I like the Chaos Earth Crime Stopper Ion Pistol, but availability would be an issue.

As for a projectile weapon I'm currently I'm looking at The Triax TX-6 Revolver from Triax, or possibly the Bandito BigBore "Big Boss" Magnum Revolver from Black Market.

Suggestions, thoughts, and advice would be appreciated.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: "Best" Pistols?

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Are TW weapons an option?

(Think the NG laser pistol grenade launcher is more versatile and you can modify it to fire its laser under water.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Regarding the Crime Stopper, you could always have it be found as part of a stash, or perhaps a hand-me down relic of the Nemans.

M-2011 Ion pistol from Rifts underseas doesn't have the burst option but does have 3d6MD (or 1d4x10 sdc).

Personally, we'd always taken the later Chaos Earth stuff and put it were we thought it made sense for other branches of the military to have. I'm sure we'd have made the Man-stopper a New Navy weapon for the marines as well (probably with some minor changes and a different name). That would be another potential line of justification for its presence.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
RockJock
Knight

TW is a problem, since there is not enough PPE/ISP to power them. Something like the TW muskets that anyone can fire, but need PPE to reload could work.

I hadn't thought about the NG Super. It is versatile, and does a decent job as a projectile weapon that also has a laser, especially with the blast radius on the grenade.

The New Navy Ion Pistol is possible, and that line of thinking about the Crime Stopper makes it more appealing as well.

Thanks BL and Dreic.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

The Hi Lasers from Phase World are pretty BA if memory serves. But not sure those would be considered findable. it'd depend on your GM. They're very common in the 3G and they're connected to Earth but.... yeah that's a GM Call.

Hi10 Heavy Laser Pistol
3D6+3
1000ft Range
Payload 15
18,000 3G Credits.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

For your consideration regarding energy weapons I submit the CFT "Auto-Shooter".
It has a 10 round magazine (arguably the magazine can be extended the same way SDC firearm magazines can be per the GMG, but that would be GM ruling).
Each round does 3D6 mega-damage, and it is capable of firing bursts.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Also, while more of an 'Out-there' idea, the Multi-Comp Annihilator from Aliens Unlimited.
It is one-handed fireable if I recall, and has both hard ammo (microjet) capabilities, as well as an Ion Blaster.
The Microjet ammo can also be fired in bursts, and both the microjet rounds and the ion blast can be fired simultaneously.

Arguably being AU tech and not from HU Earth it could be declared M.D. in Rifts.
However it is technically an SMG, not a pistol, and there are some overheating issues.
I currently have a PC that dual-wields them, and I am a big fan.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Hi10s look cool.....

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

I personally always liked the "Big Bore" series of weapons from New West.
Now the BB-6 might not be the most powerful, only 1D6 per "bullet", but the chance for knock down compensates for that (IMO).
I think the gun looks cool and who wouldn't want to wield a gun with it's own Horror Factor (10) ?

As for lasers, I'm not a huge fan of the "plastic looking space age stuff" so I usually pick from New West for those as well.
That being said I will agree with the above posters, the HI series of pistols look cool, but if we are sticking to the detail of North American made/found then another one to consider is the NG-45LP from Juicer Uprising.
5D6 MD per shot
1,200 feet
8 Shots
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I have been playing a gun-bunny for the last few years.
As such I will give you Lynette's answer "There is no such thing as a best pistol. However, there are a lot of options for really good pistols that cover a lot of really good areas. It sort of depends on what you want to do and your budget and stuff."
That out of the way I will present some of her favorites.

Ballistic
1] 9mm Calico M-950 pistol. 9mm with a 50 or 100 round magazine. Load up with your favorite MD bullets and go wild.
2]Para-Stunner Pistol (Merc Ops page 141) 1d6 SDC and some hefty penalties
3] NG-T9 Dart Tranquilizer Pistol (NG1 page 204)
4] NG-11s Sawed Off Shotgun (NG1 page 206) This may or may not count depending on your GM. But it has a wide range of rounds
5] Clamshell Pistol (Lemuria page 134) 2d4 damage, but from a magic projectile. Can be recharged on a ley line
6] Stonecaster Pistol (Lemuria page 136) three ammunition types, can be pre-charged, again uses a Ley Line
7] Waterjet Gun (Lemuria Page 136) 2d6 SDC on land but 6d6+6 to vampires. Self reloading
8] BB-2 Derringer (Black Market 137) 1d6+knockdown (though she prefers the below)
9] BB-4 Revolver (Black Market 138) 2d4+ knockdown

Energy
1] Zapper Gun (page 74 Juicer Uprising) decent damage, and a stun effect
2] NG-35 Heavy Laser Pistol (NG1 page 191) 3d6 damage, 800' range and can be made blue-green with a kit
3] NG-Super Laser. lighter laser, but additional grenades. Again can be modified for underwater use
4] NG-18 Light Ion Scattergun (NG1 page 200) A short range ion weapon, with low damage... it is AoE which is VERY handy in many instances
5] TX-27 Particle Beam Pistol (Triax 2 page 97) HUGE damage, great range, and improved critical
6] NE-4 Plasma Cartridge Pistol 1d4x10 at 500'
7] NE-300 "Stutterer" Submachine gun yes... but 1d6x10+10 at 600'

Honorable Mention (this is not strictly a North American Weapons, but could easily be built in North America)
1] NeraTech Pn-50 "SplatterGun" (Australia 202) paintball gun on steroids that shoots a wide range of nastyness

Don't forget that there are a wide range of upgrades and accessories to add to pistols that can help them be more versatile.
And that there are a wide range of bullets/loads for bullet using pistols.

EDIT: I completely forgot the NG-45LP pistol that was pointed out... and I am sure there are others out there that are also really good. My suggestion is find what you think you will be doing and shop based around that. It makes no sense to invest in a weapon that works underwater if your going to be in the middle of the desert the entire game.... similarly if you are going to be underwater a lot then taking a weapon that is a poor performer there is likewise not probably a good idea
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Energy Pistols (top 3; all commonly available):

NG-45LP (Juicer Uprising, NG) - 5D6 MD at 1200ft. 8 shots.
Wilks 237 (New West) - 3D6/6D6 (two barrels, single/double blast). 500ft. 8/16 shots (short/long). +2 on aimed shots.
Triax TX-27 (Triax 2) - 5D6+5 MD at 500ft. 10 shots. Crits on 19/20.

Best all-around is the NG-45LP, IMO. Great range, hits hard. Id go with the Wilks otherwise, for the +2 aimed shots and high damage if range isnt an issue.

Non-Energy:

TX-5/TX-6 (Triax, Triax 2): the TX-6 is a little better, but they are functionally the same. 4D6 at 800ft. 5 or 6 shots.
(Potentially) NG-11S Sawed Off (JU, NG1] - up to your GM here, but the art makes it look short enough for one handed use if youre strong enough. Lots of damage options (Ramjets, Frag, Plasma, traditional 12ga rounds).

... that's really about it in terms of pistols whose damage doesnt suck for non-energy, though insuppose a TK-converted pistol is also an option. Bandito’s Big Bore stuff, too, but those things are pure cheese and i kinda do my best to refuse to use them.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

If I may stray off the beaten path a bit...

- Stun Blaster (RGMG p129). Victims are -10 to Strike, Parry, and Dodge. The description is a bit lacking, so the GM must decide what (if anything) is immune. Very inexpensive at only 4,000 credits. (Note, don't confuse this with the Stun Gun on the same page.)

- TW Snare Gun (RBoM, p326). Fires a Magic Net. Can be purchased with Stormspire magic clips, but is pricey at 175,000 credits (plus 40,000 per clip).

- MP-10 Caseless Pistol (RGMG p172). A modern SDC slug-thrower with up to 30 rounds and pre-determined bursts. 2,500 credits.

- NG-11S "Sawed Off" (RGMG p157). Fires one or two shotgun shells, which makes it either an SDC or MDC weapon depending on how it's loaded. Upside is that it gives you options without carrying yet another weapon. Payload is only two rounds, though. 4,000 credits.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
RockJock
Knight

I'm looking at a QuickFlex Gunslinger in a NG Saber PA armed with a variety of pistols. E-Clip powered energy weapons get the direct feed from the PA, so energy usable isn't a huge deal. The projectile guns cover all those special cases.

So here is the situation. I'm going to be a "guest" player in a game for a session or two, with my character becoming an NPC afterwards. It is a North American merc game, and the GM is a little annoyed by players always wanting their PCs to acquire equipment from Japan, or Russia or whatever. The GM wanted me to come up with a character concept to be North America centric, while still being fairly powerful, thus the Gunslinger with light PA. We are also toying with the idea of using the gunslinger to introduce the Advanced Training options found in Heroes of Humanity.

Now back to the weapons. The MP-10 Caseless from Mercenaries is a great weapon against silver vulnerable monsters/demons. The 3Gs/AU stuff isn't really going to fit the character idea. The TW weapons and shotguns don't really fit either. The stun blaster could be interesting, and I'm sure a version of the splattergun is doable in NA. For whatever reason I just don't like the Ion Scatter Guns.

Right now I'm leaning towards a pair of NG Long Pistols as the main guns due to being easy to acquire. I haven't decided on NG Supers, the six shot Big Bore, or the 4 shot Big Bore(firing the bigger shells) as the MDC non-energy guns. Maybe a pair of Wilks Backups and MP-10s for when not armored up, and as backups. With this mix everything is locally sourced and commonly available.

Thanks for the help everyone. I have some time until the game, so feel free to throw some more things out there.
dreicunan
Hero

Wilks 325 Mariner pistol from MercOps does 4d8 on a doubleshot pulse out to 900 ft with the same range underwater. That 4d8 is a better max (32) than 5d6 (30), with a slighlty better average of 18 damage (5d6 averages 17.5). +2 bonus on an aimed shot.

Also, remember that the light ramjet ammo is available in 9mm, 10mm, .45, and 7.62mm. That means that the MP-10 does have an MD option available to it.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
RockJock
Knight

Thanks. I'll take a look at Merc Ops. I haven't flipped through there in ages. I remembered the Ramjet rounds. 1d4MDC on a burst from the pistol is nothing great, but sure beats SDC.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

I tend to favor the AT-130 Particle Projector Pistol out of wb08 Japan/pg 122 for an e-pistol or the GHT-85 Hounds Tooth auto-mag out of wb25 China 2/pg 142 for a projectile pistol.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

One variation (if you GM is agreeable) is to use the NG Super, but have it re-chambered to use a different grenade. It could be made to fire the Triax rounds (4D6 MD) or the CS micro-fusion rounds (6D6 each to 12ft).
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
dreicunan
Hero

RockJock wrote:Thanks. I'll take a look at Merc Ops. I haven't flipped through there in ages. I remembered the Ramjet rounds. 1d4MDC on a burst from the pistol is nothing great, but sure beats SDC.

Even the 1 mdc for a single round can be nice.

Another weapon to consider would be the NG-R50 mini-rail gun. With robotic strength, it may well be wieldable as a pistol (but that is based off the artwork, which is always a tricky proposition).

IP-15 heavy ion from Black Market (p. 145) is 4d6 to 400 ft. Good non-laser option that would be readily available.
dreicunan
Hero

Q1-02 Stopper Ion Pistol offers 4d6+4 damage but only out to 200 ft (Free Quebec).
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I tend to like the NG partical beam pistols. High stopping power and reasonably available for players. Range is not huge but if you are using a pistol you should be in pretty close quarters anyway so few hundred feet is sufficient.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Are we looking at "best on a budget" or can I shell out 100 million for an eyelor-enhanced gun with unlimited payload?
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

If Rifters are allowed, then 51 had the TX-7 Police Special from Triax for 18,000cr on pg. 59. It's a laser and SDC revolver hybrid.
Damage was 2D6+2 for the laser, with 18 shots, and 6D6 for the revolver.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
RockJock
Knight

Within reason Axel:). An expensive weapon is fine, not one that costs more then a SAMAS.

After some discussion with the GM, on how they play the game I've massaged some of my picks. They allow Triax pump weapons to fire SDC shotgun shells, so the Gunslinger will have a pair of either TX Pump Pistols or the newer revolver version found in Triax 2 as the main non-energy/backup weapons shootable in or out of armor(probably the revolvers). A Pair of NG Long Pistols (with the kit for Blue-Green conversion if needed) will be the main long ranged weapons. For closer in firepower a pair of Triax TX-27 P-Beam pistols add a little more punch. All guns can be handled by the character in, or out of armor which is a plus. The final weapons are a pair of Wilks Derringers. So basically three sets of big pistols and a pair of derringers.

Both the Triax Revolver and the P-Beam are "new", so I may go with the Pump Pistol and the NG-PB712 from NG1 based on being more available, if slightly less powerful.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

RockJock wrote:Within reason Axel:). An expensive weapon is fine, not one that costs more then a SAMAS.

After some discussion with the GM, on how they play the game I've massaged some of my picks. They allow Triax pump weapons to fire SDC shotgun shells, so the Gunslinger will have a pair of either TX Pump Pistols or the newer revolver version found in Triax 2 as the main non-energy/backup weapons shootable in or out of armor(probably the revolvers). A Pair of NG Long Pistols (with the kit for Blue-Green conversion if needed) will be the main long ranged weapons. For closer in firepower a pair of Triax TX-27 P-Beam pistols add a little more punch. All guns can be handled by the character in, or out of armor which is a plus. The final weapons are a pair of Wilks Derringers. So basically three sets of big pistols and a pair of derringers.

Both the Triax Revolver and the P-Beam are "new", so I may go with the Pump Pistol and the NG-PB712 from NG1 based on being more available, if slightly less powerful.

I though conversion kit was basically a permanent mod do not remember any down sides to it.

If I recall right pump pistols is a pump operated weapon so would require two hands to use.

If the laser bracelets from Atlantis count as pistols they would be a good self charging weapon.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

RockJock wrote:A Pair of NG Long Pistols (with the kit for Blue-Green conversion if needed) will be the main long ranged weapons.

The NG45-LP is a particle beam, not a laser.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
RockJock
Knight

So it is. I was looking at the NG1 description, and it doesn't say, so I assumed laser since the guns around it are lasers. I didn't flip back to JU.

I may stick with what I got, or pick up ion pistols of some kind or the Wilk's Mariner. I don't really "need" a gun that fires well underwater, but I liked the idea of the versatility. The possible crits and extra damage of the newer Triax P-Beam is worth while, but I don't think the chance of crits alone is worth it.

Thanks for the catch.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

For me...NG-45LP or the Triax "Pump" Pistol Revolver. Depends on the look I'm going for.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
RockJock
Knight

After talking with the GM the final is a pair of each of the below for primary use with the armor NEMA MIP-21 Crime Stopper Maxi-Ion Pistols(found in CE) for the punch and underwater use, Triax TX-6 Pump Revolvers (from Triax 2) for the non-energy needs/versitility, and North Gun NG45-LP Long Pistols(from JU and NG1) for the reach. For out of armor I went with a pair of Wilk's 300 Hideaway Laser Pistols (from Merc Ops) because of their conceal-ability, and MP-10 Pistols (from Mercs) when you can't carry Mega Damage weapons.

Add that to a the Saber PA plus a robot horse the Quick Flex Gunslinger is a whirling dervish with the irons. The slinger is pushing it, but not ridiculously so, at least to us. The Triax revolvers are new, and from Europe, but are mentioned as already reading the New West, and the Ion Pistols are available in their game from a similar source as the Juicer Assassin line of rifles. If I was going for pure munch I could have added a FF and Plasma Guns from Naruni as a starting point, and gone with the new Triax P-Beam pistols for more punch. As it is this guy can slag a tank.

Thanks for all the feedback and help everyone. Ya'll made this a fun thread.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Can anyone remember if anyone can parry physical bullets? I'm wondering if that works on explosive grenade bullets.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

RockJock wrote:After talking with the GM the final is a pair of each of the below for primary use with the armor NEMA MIP-21 Crime Stopper Maxi-Ion Pistols(found in CE) for the punch and underwater use, Triax TX-6 Pump Revolvers (from Triax 2) for the non-energy needs/versitility, and North Gun NG45-LP Long Pistols(from JU and NG1) for the reach. For out of armor I went with a pair of Wilk's 300 Hideaway Laser Pistols (from Merc Ops) because of their conceal-ability, and MP-10 Pistols (from Mercs) when you can't carry Mega Damage weapons.

Add that to a the Saber PA plus a robot horse the Quick Flex Gunslinger is a whirling dervish with the irons. The slinger is pushing it, but not ridiculously so, at least to us. The Triax revolvers are new, and from Europe, but are mentioned as already reading the New West, and the Ion Pistols are available in their game from a similar source as the Juicer Assassin line of rifles. If I was going for pure munch I could have added a FF and Plasma Guns from Naruni as a starting point, and gone with the new Triax P-Beam pistols for more punch. As it is this guy can slag a tank.

Thanks for all the feedback and help everyone. Ya'll made this a fun thread.

My gunbunny approves of this selection :lol:
Have fun with it :D
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
RockJock
Knight

Thanks Eli.
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tsh77769 »

I really like the Wilks weapons because almost all of them have either a +1 or a +2 (one of them even has a possible +3, due to a shoulder stock on a pistol) to strike on aimed shots from super high quality and excellent balance that count even for people without a W.P.!!

My favorite Wilks laser pistol is...
The 325 "Mariner" from Merc Ops page 103.

It gets the +2 to strike on an aimed shot, has a 900 foot range in or out of water, can fire single shots or a 2 round burst (at full damage efficiency), has good capacity, and 2D8 (I would prefer if it were 4D4) MD.

The NG sea snake series from one of the NG catalog books is worth a look as they have better stats upon analysis than initial appearance suggests.

tsh77769
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Axelmania wrote:Can anyone remember if anyone can parry physical bullets? I'm wondering if that works on explosive grenade bullets.

Yes you can parry physical bullets, but it is high restricted who can actually do it (but it is possible):
-WB8 pg 59 has the Sohei Warrior Monk OCC able to "and -6 to parry gunfire"
-RUE pg203 the level 3 wizard invocation Magic Shield can "parry energy blasts and projectiles, but the user has no bonuses and suffers a -8 penalty to parry." Bullet would qualify as a projectile.
-RCB1r pg19 "as well as any O.C.C. or R.C.C. whose description states they have the ability to parry arrows, bullets and/or energy blasts." So clearly there are OCCs and RCCs that grant such an ability.

IINM though you don't "negate" damage in these cases, it works just like the "missile parry" (read block, which IMHO is just another way of saying parry) found in missile combat (this would be especially true of the exploding bullets).
RockJock
Knight

Tsh, I like the Wilks line as well. The Mariner would have been a real contender if the Crime Stopper Ion Pistol didn't open up as available.

Return to “Rifts®”