New book?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thom001
Explorer

New book?

Unread post by Thom001 »

I saw a topic in the rifts forum for world books wanted by fans and was wondering what HU books anybody would want? Myself I would love about the early heroes. Like when they first appeared in this world and how the world initially took (or didn't) to the heroes.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: New book?

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I would like to see a book on how to set up a city. You know, kind of a suggestions for creating a setting more than something already built. They could call it Cities Unlimited and make it geared for supers in addition to normal folks. I never know how many people to put in a city or how to set up locales. Cities Unlimited could cover that as well as giving adventure ideas.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I still want "Magic Unlimited" with new magic category/classes that would work better in a Super Hero world and maybe different casting rules like PPE channeling.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

Daniel Stoker wrote:I still want "Magic Unlimited" with new magic category/classes that would work better in a Super Hero world and maybe different casting rules like PPE channeling.

Daniel Stoker

go on......[desire to write intensifies]
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

I personally would love to see some of the comic artist out there put together a "Mechanization of Doom" Kind of book with story and new villains and heroes. That would vastly update the Heroes Unlimited books across the board. Right now I'm running a web cast http://strangecorpseposse.blogspot.ca/ trying to put a personal spin on the HU universe in a dynamic way. The heroes really might never make it back to HU earth but they are loving the adventure so far. Check it out for more inspiration.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Hardware Unlimited....
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Still want to see "The Nursery" for HU2/ATB2.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

zyanitevp wrote:Hardware Unlimited....

This is the one I'd like to see. Partly because they might include the psi-builder power cat. I've submitted into it.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

zerombr wrote:go on......[desire to write intensifies]

Well I've written it before but one of my ideas was something like the Physical Adept from ShadowRun or the Natural type character from BtS where the person uses his magical powers to upgrade themselves and their ability at the cost of their PPE and/or spell casting. Maybe have it where they have bought base abilities like added strength and dexterity but then can either 'cast' or spend PPE to temporarily enhance themselves as well like if they need to make a super sniper shot or something like that which has a limited duration and will fade after they've used it and need more PPE or rest for them to use again.

Personally to make Psionics and Magic keep up in HU I've also dramatically increased ISP and PPE regeneration for my games where you still have you pool, but a mage or master psi who meditates for 8 hours can get back their full ISP/PPE pool. I found it REALLY helps with Psionic characters where one use of a Psi-Sword doesn't take you 5 hours of meditation to recoup from.

Daniel Stoker
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

BookWyrm wrote:Still want to see "The Nursery" for HU2/ATB2.

What is that?
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Hardware Unlimited

Mad Scientist Class
Borderline Sci-Fi Gadgets
A couple of Doomsday Devices
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Hardware Unlimited would be the top book I'd like to see.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
BookWyrm
Champion

Thom001 wrote:

What is that?

This was the proposed HU2/ATB2 book from a while back, with updated Mutant Animal creation rules, new animals (possibly reprints from all the old ATB1 books), an updated Bio-E system & (bum bum BUMMMMM) the return of Doc Feral & his corporation Bio-Spawn (that might have to be renamed, since the Nightspawn/Nightbane incident).
It was also supposed to detail the US government's own ultra-secret Mutant Animal testing facility, code-named "The Nursery", not only as a major foe for the Mutant Animal players but also as an origin point. My suggestion was for an updated look at.....The Terror Bears!
Think of it as "Mutations Unlimited" (Since we can't use a Marvel-copyrighted word.....)
Last edited by BookWyrm on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Hell knight
Explorer

Unread post by Hell knight »

I would still like to see the Nursery . And some world books for HU.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I would be happy to see pretty much anything for HU. The Magic and/or Hardware books would be a great addition to those characters, and the general flexibility of HU. A city/setting builder with some example would be fun. The Nursery would be great as well. I always had the feeling that between Mutant Underground, and AtB2 this just sort of got dropped.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

There are a few things I think could easily be done in HU. A (add a book from palladium) HU crossover event, where like in a comic some city A has partially merged with a city from one of the other lines like pf, atb, bts, nightbane, or rifts. Have stats for the city, what has happened to the other half of the city (or maybe the other world is a cloud city like they claimed was seen in china), and its up to the heroes to stop this from spreading and restore it. There could be a HU book for underwater civilizations, or a book for HU in tyrannical or communist countries like the cold war. I guess I'm more thinking of like adventure sourcebooks. Also heroes unlimited in the 25th century.
kennethk
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by kennethk »

I would love to see both the Hardware Unlimited and Magic Unlimited. I think they would greatly help expand the scope of HU. Something I would like to see would be Pulp Unlimited. Something stylized towards the old pulp style detective comics and strips.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Until they come out with the book I just rip off Cauldron from Worm as them.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

I would like the following in order...

1) Technology Unlimited - This would cover Hardware, Cybernetics, Weaponry, Vehicles, Super Bases, Gizmo's, and Gadgets.
2) More setting books.
3) Modules or Adventure Paths. The Rift had that amazing one the Supers Registration Act one. That one showed me what can be done and I loved it.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
BookWyrm
Champion

Sir_Spirit wrote:

Until they come out with the book I just rip off Cauldron from Worm as them.

I'm not familiar with that book.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

It's a free web serial. (google Worm Web Serial-but only go to the table of contents, the main page is spoilery). It's a really good read. Imagine if Rowling wrote 28 full-sized Harry Potter books in 2 years.
Only He's a She, is in a crapsack Superhero world, and has bug powers.....
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

I'm thinking a comprehensive adventure book based on Century Station would be good. Sort of a tour of the city/adventure that exposes the heroes to unique NPC folk in the areas and a chance to save the city while mingling with the odd super folk in the city too.
Kargan3033
Hero

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

I'd like to see a book about the up and coming war between the mutants/supers and humans, how will things reach the boiling point where humans declare war on the mutants/supers and what is the human's position on the mutants/supers do the humans want to wipe out all mutants/supers?, enslave them or what and how will the mutants/supers react to being targeted as an active menace by the humans.
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I love to see the Atorian empire.
Maps of each states of the Empire,Atorian ships both Military and Civilin,Millitary ranks,Tech,Weapons,list of Ally and Subjects races,Important Npcs and 101 Adventures.

Maybe a book on FAR too.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

gaby wrote:I love to see the Atorian empire.
Maps of each states of the Empire,Atorian ships both Military and Civilin,Millitary ranks,Tech,Weapons,list of Ally and Subjects races,Important Npcs and 101 Adventures.

Maybe a book on FAR too.
I believe you mean planets. States are usually areas on a planet.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
gaby wrote:I love to see the Atorian empire.

Maybe a book on FAR too.
I believe you mean planets. States are usually areas on a planet.

States are simply a political body, often they refer to nations as in nation-states...
And I believe the Empire is made up of subordinate states with its own Empress.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

eliakon is Right ther six Empress each controling a state within the Empire.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

At this point, we need to see a new edition of HU, as a revamp of the Palladium system. A rule set that was revolutionary when the word Advanced was on the covers of D&D books, has become very dated and hard to play compared to such games today. A new XP system that allows faster advancement for people who want to keep playing after 5th level. A better scaling for powers and power categories. A way to unlock new powers as a element of character progression rather then a random role on your power table. New levels of powers for a better balance of character builds among PCs. A point buy system for some variance of the same power from character to character. Fewer random tables, more character options. Push spell casting magic users and Psionic classes to their own specialized books and make room for the more main line character builds and supporting game mechanics, Palladium books has a massive library of magic spells and psionic powers, focus on them in their own books. Move the power catagories from 1970s and 1980s TV shows out of the main book and use the space for even more stuff for the core game. And most importantly, clean up the rules sections so all of the given rules regarding any given thing are found in that rules section, rather then found spliced haphazardly through out the book. New hand to hand combat tables spice up the game, using more exotic stuff then just Ninjas and Superspies retreads. Make Boxing and Wrestling their own Hand to Hand combat styles. Stream line combat to speed things up.

This is the kind of stuff Palladium needs to do for a new HU book. Then we can worry about setting books and splat books. Heroes Unlimited is my favorite game system, the ideas and story possibilities are fantastic, in a very literal sense, but my group no longer wants to play HU any more, the rule system is just too limited, to fragmented and to full of bits we weren't using. My group literally had an intervention to make me move to Mutants and Masterminds. While I'd love to come home to HU, I can't in good faith argue that Palladium's system does a better job.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

The Artist Formerly wrote:At this point, we need to see a new edition of HU, as a revamp of the Palladium system. A rule set that was revolutionary when the word Advanced was on the covers of D&D books, has become very dated and hard to play compared to such games today. A new XP system that allows faster advancement for people who want to keep playing after 5th level. A better scaling for powers and power categories. A way to unlock new powers as a element of character progression rather then a random role on your power table. New levels of powers for a better balance of character builds among PCs. A point buy system for some variance of the same power from character to character. Fewer random tables, more character options. Push spell casting magic users and Psionic classes to their own specialized books and make room for the more main line character builds and supporting game mechanics, Palladium books has a massive library of magic spells and psionic powers, focus on them in their own books. Move the power catagories from 1970s and 1980s TV shows out of the main book and use the space for even more stuff for the core game. And most importantly, clean up the rules sections so all of the given rules regarding any given thing are found in that rules section, rather then found spliced haphazardly through out the book. New hand to hand combat tables spice up the game, using more exotic stuff then just Ninjas and Superspies retreads. Make Boxing and Wrestling their own Hand to Hand combat styles. Stream line combat to speed things up.

This is the kind of stuff Palladium needs to do for a new HU book. Then we can worry about setting books and splat books. Heroes Unlimited is my favorite game system, the ideas and story possibilities are fantastic, in a very literal sense, but my group no longer wants to play HU any more, the rule system is just too limited, to fragmented and to full of bits we weren't using. My group literally had an intervention to make me move to Mutants and Masterminds. While I'd love to come home to HU, I can't in good faith argue that Palladium's system does a better job.

Some stuff is dated so new players would like scratch there heads. Those of us that grew up through CD's camcorders and such would understand that cell phones and MP3 players replace many things that a personal computer does too. I think it is a great reference for golden age comics and beyond. If you want to know how players and GM's adapt, you might want to listen to the pod cast http://strangecorpseposse.blogspot.ca/ :-D
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

I have lots of book location idea's. Palladium just needs to say yes. Make it a little more simple to get ideas through to the decision makers.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Taffy has a point with the HU3 approach. All of HU deserves an update. I don't see PB pulling the spell and psychic ability based classes out because they lose the "any character" approach, but it isn't a bad idea to make them a separate book with good rules on conversions from other titles included. That being said, the magic book needs to be released pretty much with the main book, so as not to go down the road of BTS......

As my group lays now the Magic and Psychic classes can be supplemented with books from the Megaverse, but that depends on the GM, and how complicated they want to get. Some tech classes(bionic and robot in-particular) can pull from Rifts or Robotech if the GM is willing to do the conversion work, but not as easily as magic and psychic classes. The Hardware classes are so outdated that to me they are almost unplayable today, at least if you are using the HU books as your only sources. In the last 10 years most players I have seen going the hardware route opt for the Natural Genius, or Super Invention because they are more playable. The actual super power classes are pretty well handled with the PU books, and the special training classes generally tend to be low powered, but playable.

Over the years my various gaming groups have usually played HU with a kitchen sink approach. The basic rule with us has been if it is in a SDC based game (particularly from PF, Nightbane, System Failures) and you want to play a version in HU it is probably going to be allowed by the GM. This is assuming you as the player does the work to get the GM the book to look at, and help with things like a spell/psychic ability list for your character. So the Earth Warlock, Wampyre, or government agent with Organitech armor you want to play would probably be allowed(assuming it fit the power level of the game), but will probably have an HU flavor to it. The Warlock may represent a rare school of magic, the Warpyre might be a weird experiment, and the Organitech armor and weapons might be the result of Area 51 research being field tested. If it was an MDC book it might still be allowed, but it was less likely due to a lot more work being required for classes and equipment. I've heard that ruins the flavor and spirit of HU, but to us it gave more options and fun.

Just my two cents.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

hardware unlimited is nearly done, I've held the preview copy, and have a char from it. There's a game involving it on my podcast. ^^
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Wasn't it written over 10 years ago now? I hate to ask but has the tech in it been updated?

Daniel Stoker
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Wasn't it written over 10 years ago now? I hate to ask but has the tech in it been updated?

Daniel Stoker

Well the char I had, could control a dozen drones which could fold together into a gestalt robot form. I'd say yes. They stopped putting specifics into computers and such, so there's no 'its equipped with a nifty 3 Gigs of Ram' such, its just 'high end' and 'low end' nowadays, I think.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

An unlimited book for each catagory
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Well that's really good to hear.

Daniel Stoker
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Zer0 Kay wrote:An unlimited book for each catagory

well lets see, we have 3 Powers unlimited books, so there's your mutants/experiments
we also have that bionics sourcebook, so would you say that'd be your robots/bionics?
we have an aliens unlimited book, several actually.

that means magic gets one, even I am willing to rule that the Book of magic doesn't count
psionics too, I'm for that as well

Hardware unlimited is to be one...

so that leaves what I am working on, the Special Training characters! :D I've revamped the stage mage, and have the third round of a sleuth article almost done, and have plans to work on the Operative and....*sigh* the Hunter. So I guess that's about it for them, right?

or did you want something else? I'm genuinely interested in what you'd like.
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

Ooooooh, its not a "need it now" idea, but i'd like to see a write up of villain super organizations. Not a make it yourself but like a world book for rifts, instead of describing a place it describes a criminal organization, its villians, its minions, its tech, some locations, crimes and contacts.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Nightmartree wrote:Ooooooh, its not a "need it now" idea, but i'd like to see a write up of villain super organizations. Not a make it yourself but like a world book for rifts, instead of describing a place it describes a criminal organization, its villians, its minions, its tech, some locations, crimes and contacts.

Now THAT sounds cool. Afterall... what good are heroes without villians?
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

Jack Burton wrote:Now THAT sounds cool. Afterall... what good are heroes without villians?

Also it would allow for glimpses into the world of palladiums heroes unlimited. A way to introduce organizations, heroes, villians, maybe even new powers/categories without directly jumping into a new main book or unlimited. I mean, if you have a villain organization devoted to magic? slip in some new spells and optional rules for magic, high tech robbers? perfect for those robotic guards and new gadgets. Someone FINALLY gets that new super soldier formula up and going? well did the bad guys steal it or fund their own?

It might mean we can get some cool stuff without having to wait for the loading screen to hit 100% (all the power categories and new rules worked out), cause if you'll notice books showing off "COOL THINGS!!!!YAY!!!" always seem to show up more than "NEW RULES!!!"...if only cause they're easier to make. I mean, look at rifts, its a huge setting but only a tiny bit of it is actually in the core book, and most of it is writing is on places and what you meet there, replace the world books with organization files and maybe heroes can get some more love...
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

Nightmartree wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:Now THAT sounds cool. Afterall... what good are heroes without villians?

Also it would allow for glimpses into the world of palladiums heroes unlimited. A way to introduce organizations, heroes, villians, maybe even new powers/categories without directly jumping into a new main book or unlimited. I mean, if you have a villain organization devoted to magic? slip in some new spells and optional rules for magic, high tech robbers? perfect for those robotic guards and new gadgets. Someone FINALLY gets that new super soldier formula up and going? well did the bad guys steal it or fund their own?

It might mean we can get some cool stuff without having to wait for the loading screen to hit 100% (all the power categories and new rules worked out), cause if you'll notice books showing off "COOL THINGS!!!!YAY!!!" always seem to show up more than "NEW RULES!!!"...if only cause they're easier to make. I mean, look at rifts, its a huge setting but only a tiny bit of it is actually in the core book, and most of it is writing is on places and what you meet there, replace the world books with organization files and maybe heroes can get some more love...

I certainly try to do this with the pod cast.
Focus more on story and less on the rules. Show the powers and the toys a little at a time while the story, characters and NPC round out the show. You can get a better idea by giving a listen... http://strangecorpseposse.blogspot.ca/

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”