Savage Rifts wave 2 announced!!!

Welcome to the Palladium Books destination for all things Savage Rifts™. Please keep conversions to items, people, etc found in the various Rifts books and/or Savage Rifts books.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Savage Rifts wave 2 announced!!!

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

Sean Tate Bircher on facebook wrote:As announced at Chupacabracon IV yesterday, Savage Rifts® wave 2 is on its way! Arcana North America will cover the Magic Zone, Federation of Magic, Psyscape, and more. The Coalition States will delve deeper than the Coalition Field Manual did, providing options for playing CS renegades joining the Tomorrow Legion. Blood and Banes covers the Vampire Kingdoms, the Xiticix, Calgary's Kingdom of Monsters and more. And I'm one of the writers. :)

So, I guess this was announced at Chupacabracon IV, yesterday! :)

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Savage Rifts wave 2 announced!!!

Sean Tate Bircher said in the replies, that the writing is pretty far advanced, but he wasn't able to elaborate on it, any more than that. Hopefully we'll see the official announcement on Pinnacle's website, with more details, soon. :)

-Chris

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

palladiumjunkie wrote:... Hopefully we'll see the official announcement on Pinnacle's website, with more details, soon. :)

-Chris

Looks like they do Tuesday updates, but are also upgrading their forum software and plan on that being done on the 23rd. So maybe we'll have an announcement tomorrow, or next Tuesday...

Just speculation on my part, though.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Jodi Black did reply to that post, though, just to clarify that those are the working titles, and as such, are of course subject to change.

-Chris

Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

SHOCKING NEWS! :D
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

sweet
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chuck Lang »

Yep, I'm looking forward to this one too.

Will they be funding it through KickStarter, or will this be a standard company release?
Jason Richards

Chuck Lang wrote:Yep, I'm looking forward to this one too.

Will they be funding it through KickStarter, or will this be a standard company release?

That information has not yet been released.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Jason Richards wrote:
Chuck Lang wrote:Yep, I'm looking forward to this one too.

That information has not yet been released.

Thank you sir. Either way, they'll be books added to my library. However, they did an exceptional job with the original KickStarter, so I'd without a doubt fund that from the get-go and in actuality prefer that method since I'd be able to buy and have shipped all the books in one shot.
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Sean Patrick Fannon posted the following up on Facebook today...

Sean Patrick Fannon on Facebook wrote:So things were said, there may have been some explosions, and now for the after-action report. :-P

The following very cool and amazing people are working with me on the next round of books for Savage Rifts:
  • Sean Tait Bircher
  • Robin English-Bircher
  • Mack Martin
  • Matthew Keyes
  • Jason Richards
  • Eddy Webb.

And here's the breakdown of what we've got in the works:
  • Arcane North America: Federation, Magic Zone, Psyscape, elements of Spirit West, and related material.
  • The Coalition States: Pretty much that, with some focus on playing ex-CS folks joining or working with the Tomorrow Legion.
  • Blood & Banes: The Xiticix, the Vampire Kingdoms, ARCHIE, and some other related material that helps us more or less close out North America.

Note that NOTHING is set in iron here, all things are subject to review, change, and what-have-you. As well, don't even think about asking for dates, because we'll just have to look dumbly at you and get back to writing. :wink:
Last edited by palladiumjunkie on Tue May 16, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

palladiumjunkie wrote:Sean Patrick Fannon posted the following up on Facebook today...

Sweet, thanks for the update.
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Yeah, I don't know about that Jason Richards guy, from that list, though. I heard he is kind of a hack... :P

Jason Richards

Y'all have any questions? I'm answering a yes/no about the project every day on my Facebook (Jason Richards Publishing), but am always partial to my Palladium dudes and dudettes. Happy to try and do that here as well.

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Jason Richards wrote:Y'all have any questions? I'm answering a yes/no about the project every day on my Facebook (Jason Richards Publishing), but am always partial to my Palladium dudes and dudettes. Happy to try and do that here as well.

Are they including the Republicans?
Are they doing any Atlantis?
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Jason Richards

zyanitevp wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:Y'all have any questions? I'm answering a yes/no about the project every day on my Facebook (Jason Richards Publishing), but am always partial to my Palladium dudes and dudettes. Happy to try and do that here as well.

I am not in my portion, but I believe they should make an appearance.
I don't believe Atlantis is being counted as North America, which is the focus of these books.

All answers to the best of my information, subject to change, etc.

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Jason Richards wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:

I am not in my portion, but I believe they should make an appearance.
I don't believe Atlantis is being counted as North America, which is the focus of these books.

All answers to the best of my information, subject to change, etc.

Thanks!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Congratulations Jason. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

What portion are you working on so we can mercilessly pester you with questions and updates?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Jason Richards

Soooo... they kinda reneged on the idea of letting us talk about much.

I will say, however, that there is a particular bit of lore I added that DS will particularly enjoy. I think.

And no, it is not furthering the canon storyline of Stoker.

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Aww, but what about all those kittens I got for him to eat? :p

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

we have any idea on when the kickstarter for this hits?
blackwingedheaven
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Unread post by blackwingedheaven »

Riftmaker wrote:we have any idea on when the kickstarter for this hits?

No news yet. I'd guess probably not until winter 2017 or spring 2018.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

All I read was:

The following very cool and amazing people are working with me on the next round of books for Savage Rifts:
  • Jason Richards
  • Jason Richards
  • Jason Richards
  • Jason Richards
  • Jason Richards
  • Jason Richards.
ImageImageImage
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Augur wrote:All I read was:

• Jason Richards
  • Jason Richards
  • Jason Richards
  • Jason Richards
  • Jason Richards
  • Jason Richards.

I didnt know Jason was a sextuplet.
Jason Richards

I do get around a lot. That could be an explanation.

cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

Any news or updates on this since the original announcement? I'm just seeing this and am very excited!
Nether
Adventurer

Unread post by Nether »

Wow, I just learned of savage rifts and I can say in nothing short of estatic about it. Now they are wiring on my favorite books of all time in one book, I'm giddy like a little school girl who can't wait.
Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Supergyro »

It has been about a year since the announcement, no kickstarter has been launched, and there doesn't seem to be a breath of this on Pinnacle's site.

I wonder if they're wondering how risky it would be to do a Kickstarter on a Palladium linked project at the moment.

If the plan was to kickstart all Savage Rifts books... the recent Kickstarter thing could have some unfortunate side effects.
"The key is your mind, control and master it. Doing that will not only master your body, but also enable you to shape the world around you to your every desire."

---Said by a Psyscape teacher to a class of Psi Warriors
---Said by a Mindwerks technician, before he drills the hole in your skull
Jason Richards

Supergyro wrote:It has been about a year since the announcement, no kickstarter has been launched, and there doesn't seem to be a breath of this on Pinnacle's site.

I wonder if they're wondering how risky it would be to do a Kickstarter on a Palladium linked project at the moment.

If the plan was to kickstart all Savage Rifts books... the recent Kickstarter thing could have some unfortunate side effects.

I haven't heard anything to that effect. I also never saw a schedule or anything, but I inferred that Spring 2018 was the target. Based on what Shane has said about KS in the past (that you basically MUST do it for new books these days) I'd expect that to be the platform used.

Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Jason Richards wrote:I haven't heard anything to that effect. I also never saw a schedule or anything, but I inferred that Spring 2018 was the target. Based on what Shane has said about KS in the past (that you basically MUST do it for new books these days) I'd expect that to be the platform used.

It's spring 2018 right now, and Sean Fannon is currently working on two other Savage Worlds kickstarters as we speak (Savage Tokikatsu and Freedom Squadron, both kickstarters kicked off about a week ago, both have hit their funding goal despite having over 20 days left in the funding period).

Meanwhile he doesn't even seem to be attending the Palladium Open House. If there was a kickstarter in the cards in the next few months, the Palladium Open House would be the perfect place for Fannon to drum up support.

Pinnacle of course has not announced any sort of delay or stepping back on Savage Rifts, but the actions being taken seem very consistent with a "wait and see" stance.

Couldn't be due to lack of sales. If Amazon Bestseller rank is any indication, Savage Rifts sold like hotcakes and probably was the best selling single savage worlds setting they had had in years, however given recent developments, there are reasons a delay would be warranted.

When a company seems to make a lot of money from something... yet isn't talking about doing more... that means something is up.
"The key is your mind, control and master it. Doing that will not only master your body, but also enable you to shape the world around you to your every desire."

Jason Richards

I'll try to get to it all...

Not actually Spring yet, right? In any case, there is a lot of the season left. Also, I don't know that such a date was ever announced, so no promises have been broken, here.

SPF doesn't have anything to do with Tokusato. Freedom Squadron is his company's project, but Savage Rifts is not. Savage Rifts is by Pinnacle. Sean is just the manager of the next round of books.

You have to understand that guys like Sean are not like most of us writers and game designers who freelance or self publish. It's his full time gig, so he writes his stuff and runs Kickstarters while also working for others, plus does Patreon, while promoting his existing work.

In that same vein, Sean has said he can't attend the POH, as much as he'd like to. He gets flown out to cons and put up in hotels. Palladium isn't really in that position right now. I'm going to the POH as a guest, but paying my way. Can't expect SPF to do that.

There's no conspiracy about it. The new books aren't vaporware. I say this as someone with first hand knowledge. The new KS, or whatever platform is used, will be run by Pinnacle at the right time. Last year, Pinnacle ran KS campaigns in April, so that seems like a reasonable guess.

Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

I never said anyone *promised* to have more savage Rifts books by Spring of this year... but given we've not heard anything recently, it's pretty obvious we're not going to get a savage rifts kickstarter by this spring. If you don't agree, we can bet 50$ on whether we'll see one by June.

SPF absolutely has to do wih tokusatsu, he is explicitly listed as a guest writer.

My statements about those other two kickstarters are about how at least in the short term, SPF seems like he's pretty busy. Yes he can do multiple things at once (he currently is), but he certainly is giving a lot of "here's what I'm working on nows" these days, and rifts is absent from that list. The longer the time that passes since 2016, the more glaring that absence becomes.

As for his absence from the POH, A nearby kickstarter would mean a POH open house visit would bring in money, not cost it. That neither SPF nor Pinnacle found this to be "money well spent" is telling in itself.

Care for a bet? I am 100% sure we're not going to see another savage rifts kickstarter by June, and am willing to bet 50$ on that.

I'm 50% sure we wont see one by December, and am willing to bet another 25$ on that.

bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

It would be a very bad idea to run a Palladium linked kickstarter directly in the aftermath of Palladium abandoning a $1.4 million dollar project crowdfunded by over 5,000 customers. Yes, Savage Rifts is technically made by a different company that had nothing to do with the RRPGT mess but it is a licensed Palladium IP and a portion of every dollar raised goes directly to Palladium. Regardless of whether it is right or wrong, a crowdfunding campaign will surely attract alot of negative attention from people angry about the former project who will feel the need to "warn" others about anything related to Palladium. I don't believe that to be the case if they released wave 2 to retail via the traditional route. YMMV.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Jason Richards

I'm not trying to fight anyone, for crying out loud. Just communicating what information I have. The KS isn't in SPF's hands, in any case. It's in Pinnacle's/Shane's. And Shane is currently in Africa.

Rather than a bunch of posturing, how about I just ask Sean what he had heard about it and report what I can?

I think the KS risk to Pinnacle is overstated. Remember that they already delivered the SR KS while the while RTT thing was going down. And Pinnacle is a super successful company with tons of KS under its belt. They have a huge following and tons of good will.

Not saying it has NO impact if they do go forward to Kickstart the next wave, just that it may no be a deal breaker. For good measure, I'll ask about that, too.

Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

bielmic wrote:It would be a very bad idea to run a Palladium linked kickstarter directly in the aftermath of Palladium abandoning a $1.4 million dollar project crowdfunded by over 5,000 customers.

I could see it go either way, "Catastrophic Kickstarter" vs "Well the backers know Pinnacle make these because they've made them before" and I certainly can see the above being the reason Pinnacle would have decided to wait on Savage Rifts.

Although on second thought, even the appearance of money going to Palladium (whether it does or not) would probably turn the kickstarter toxic in minutes. On that second thought, I don't know how Pinnacle could spin it as "Kickstart this savage rifts book... but trust us, no money is going to Palladium.. we promise!!!".

Pinnacle certainly wouldn't announce a wait, we'd just see an extended period of "not mentioning the product" with a lot of Sean Patrick Fannon doing other things, which is exactly what we're seeing.

Jason Richards wrote:how about I just ask Sean what he had heard about it and report what I can?

I've been seeing Sean give non-answers for a while now, as one would expect if things are on hold. This at least blows out the "kickstarter soon" theory, because if there was going to be one soon, it would be in his interests to be drumming up enthusiasm, which he obviously is not (in contrast to the kickstarters he has been drumming up interest for).

I'll wait until Friday, Sean Fannon is having a Reddit AMA, I bet he will be asked about this a lot.

Jason Richards

All good points, but remember that Sean doesn't run the Kickstarter or have any say about when it goes, or doesn't.

Ulairi
D-Bee

Unread post by Ulairi »

Sean said in a AMA on Reddit that Wave 2 product is still coming.
Jason Richards

Ulairi wrote:Sean said in a AMA on Reddit that Wave 2 product is still coming.

Was just coming here to post this. His responses in the AMA mirror what he told me privately.

The AMA is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/8 ... 00_pm_mst/

Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

As everything Fannon said about the next Savage Rifts books could be applied to Mechanoids Space (With the exception that Mechanoids Space is also available for pre-order), a tempering of enthusiasm may be warranted.

Jason Richards

Supergyro wrote:As everything Fannon said about the next Savage Rifts books could be applied to Mechanoids Space (With the exception that Mechanoids Space is also available for pre-order), a tempering of enthusiasm may be warranted.

I know it's fashionable to be super pessimistic on this board, but when doing so remember that Pinnacle has an outstanding track record and THEY are the ones putting out the books. While it's always possible that something could happen to kill the deal, it would have to be something related to the license or something else catastrophic.

In all honesty and sincerity, what do Mechanoid Space and the next round of Savage Rifts books have in common? They're not even made by the same company.

Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

"Sean Tate Bircher said in the replies, that the writing is pretty far advanced, but he wasn't able to elaborate on it, any more than that. Hopefully we'll see the official announcement on Pinnacle's website, with more details, soon"

This was written a year ago.. and we've not even seen a kickstarter nor any sort of official announcement...

People claiming promises without deadlines are promises, and not seeing the trend of "months and months going by without any real change in status, proposed date, or official announcement" as being a danger sign... well..

At this point it falls under a "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..."

palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Supergyro wrote:"Sean Tate Bircher said in the replies, that the writing is pretty far advanced, but he wasn't able to elaborate on it, any more than that. Hopefully we'll see the official announcement on Pinnacle's website, with more details, soon"

This was written a year ago.. and we've not even seen a kickstarter nor any sort of official announcement...

People claiming promises without deadlines are promises, and not seeing the trend of "months and months going by without any real change in status, proposed date, or official announcement" as being a danger sign... well..

Meh... Pinnacle has a proven track record when it comes to Kickstarters, so I'm not worried. They typically don't announce the Kickstarter dates, until they are a few months out from the start date. Besides, the lead developer, Sean Patrick Fannon, stated the following, when he was responding to what now appears to have been information that was prematurely leaked by an author associated with the project:

Sean Patrick Fannon wrote:Note that NOTHING is set in iron here, all things are subject to review, change, and what-have-you. As well, don't even think about asking for dates, because we'll just have to look dumbly at you and get back to writing.

EDIT: Also, with the first wave, Pinnacle announced that they had the license, and then it was nearly a year before they announced the Kickstarter dates... with little to no information released by Pinnacle, in between those announcements. The major difference this time, is that there was no major announcement by Pinnacle on wave two, that of which I'm aware (granted, I may have missed it). Pretty much everything above, is what I have heard concerning the project.

-Chris

Jason Richards

Supergyro wrote:"Sean Tate Bircher said in the replies, that the writing is pretty far advanced, but he wasn't able to elaborate on it, any more than that. Hopefully we'll see the official announcement on Pinnacle's website, with more details, soon"

Not to be argumentative, but when has Pinnacle ever "fooled you once?"

Freemage
Explorer

Unread post by Freemage »

Folks also aren't understanding Pinnacle's approach to KS. Unlike a lot of publishers, not only do they withhold the announcement until a few months before the KS proper, but they also don't make that announcement until a lot of the work is already finished. By the time the KS hits the page, most of the heavy lifting is done, and they're able to focus on final edits and delivering product. If I were to look at their books, I suspect a lot of the money from any given KS actually is used to fund the next project for development, rather than using the KS to raise funds for paying the writers in the first place (which seems to be the 'traditional' use of KS).

So yeah, when they announce? It'll be freakin' rock-solid.
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

Just seeing this. Pinnacle has a well earned solid rep and the Wave 1 books were awesome. Very exciting!
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Any word on the ks date yet?
Jason Richards

Riftmaker wrote:Any word on the ks date yet?

Saw they have another about to launch. Lankhmar: Savage Seas of Nehwon

Jason Richards

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/54 ... ts/2176424

Books still rolling. Very excited for the new team. My fellow Texans, doing work!

Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cyber-Knight »

I love the Savage Rifts stuff I've seen so far. More books would be MORE than welcome!
MIAMI, FL: Player Looking For a Game.
Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Jason Richards wrote: I say this as someone with first hand knowledge. The new KS, or whatever platform is used, will be run by Pinnacle at the right time. Last year, Pinnacle ran KS campaigns in April, so that seems like a reasonable guess.

This was said about April... 2018...

I think now that it's January 2019, its fair to say this "reasonable guess" was not terribly accurate.

Right now the question is not whether there would be a delay, it's about what is *causing* a very obvious delay.

Return to “Savage Rifts™”