Can individual shotgun pellets be enchanted via Enchant Wpn?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Can individual shotgun pellets be enchanted with Enchant Weapon to do 2D6 MD per pellet?

Yes
22%
No
78%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 18

Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Can individual shotgun pellets be enchanted via Enchant Wpn?

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

If individual pellets can be enchanted then you could have 40 pellets or more doing 2D6 each in a single shell. Using a rail gun burst as a go by then 40 rounds at 2D6 MD each should give 2D6x10 MD.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Can individual shotgun pellets be enchanted via Enchant

Unread post by Mack »

Hmm... There should be a minimum size on what can be enchanted. Otherwise one could spend some time (and a ton of PPE) enchanting grains of sand to create a short range giga-damage shotgun shell.

Since we know bullets can be enchanted, I'd probably set the minimum size to about 0.18" (the size of a BB, and a decent sized birdshot). Getting 40 to 70 of 'em in a shell is reasonable and would pack a wallop. Also, there's plenty of ballistics data on the internet for that kind of shell, so with a just a bit of research one could figure out how to apply it in the game. I may dig around a little and see what I can come up with. (Shotgun blasts are annoying because you have to either forego realism for a simple mechanic, or do a trigonometry problem for every blast.)

Or, for simplicity, just take the SDC damage listed on RUE p329 for shotguns and convert it to MD. You'd still get 6D6 MD from heavy shot, and double that on a double blast.

Only thing I'd add is that the mage would have to enchant the pellets before they're loaded in the shell (as opposed to enchanting the shell).
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

IIRC, bullets enchanted via this spell are one-time use only, in which case I'd rule that they have to be enchanted on the cartridge level when applicable. So with modern shotguns at least, you'd enchant an entire shotgun shell which would function as one weapon regardless of the number of pellets within it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Killer Cyborg wrote:IIRC, bullets enchanted via this spell are one-time use only, in which case I'd rule that they have to be enchanted on the cartridge level when applicable. So with modern shotguns at least, you'd enchant an entire shotgun shell which would function as one weapon regardless of the number of pellets within it.

I think we're in agreement here. I wouldn't allow someone to enchant 72 shotgun shells in a single casting. It would be one casting (400 PPE) for each shell.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Mack wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:IIRC, bullets enchanted via this spell are one-time use only, in which case I'd rule that they have to be enchanted on the cartridge level when applicable. So with modern shotguns at least, you'd enchant an entire shotgun shell which would function as one weapon regardless of the number of pellets within it.

I think we're in agreement here. I wouldn't allow someone to enchant 72 shotgun shells in a single casting. It would be one casting (400 PPE) for each shell.

:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say no.
My reasoning is that as soon as you pack the pellets inside the shell they stop being their own weapon and the spell is dispelled.
Magic follows rules of magical logic. That is why magic is based on elements for example, or why light is healing and so many other 'conceptual' ideas. And one of those conceptual ideas is that a weapon is a weapon. Not a part.
Thus to be a weapon an object must itself be the weapon not simply a sub-munition of the weapon. If you want though you can research a "Enchant Sub-Munitions" spell...

The main reason here is that I am cutting the nose off of this camel before it gets into the tent. I have no interest in hand weapons doing billions of points of damage in my game and thus I am quick to nip such shenanigans off in the bud.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

I say yes - mind you, it would take you a life time to build one single shot. PPE is required and that takes time. Packing the bullet takes time, and of course there is a chance of failure if done incorrectly. That would be funny. Why not - there is a spread pattern so you could have a special rule to determine how many hit and what that looks like too. Interesting topic but not likely to really work well. I would stream line the process with enchanted casing or some such thing so each shot has a special effect.
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

eliakon wrote:I would say no.
My reasoning is that as soon as you pack the pellets inside the shell they stop being their own weapon and the spell is dispelled.
Magic follows rules of magical logic. That is why magic is based on elements for example, or why light is healing and so many other 'conceptual' ideas. And one of those conceptual ideas is that a weapon is a weapon. Not a part.
Thus to be a weapon an object must itself be the weapon not simply a sub-munition of the weapon. If you want though you can research a "Enchant Sub-Munitions" spell...

The main reason here is that I am cutting the nose off of this camel before it gets into the tent. I have no interest in hand weapons doing billions of points of damage in my game and thus I am quick to nip such shenanigans off in the bud.

I agree that this is likely the case as it is wrapped in tech of sorts but you could have a TW round or regular bullet in stead of individual pellets. A casing effect on all the pellets. I explained an option below that might work. But PPE and time are factors that limit the process to begin with in shot guns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I voted no for a few reasons.
1) KISS factor. there would be too much paperwork to do to allow this. the GM needing to be there for all the enchantments rolls for each of the pellets.
2) Is that a shotgun shell is one item for enchanting stuff.
3) you didn't specify which enchantment you'd use to gain the effect. Yes, this makes a big difference.
4) This has all the hallmarks of a munchkin trying to sidestep around 'game balance' ideas.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:1) KISS factor. there would be too much paperwork to do to allow this. the GM needing to be there for all the enchantments rolls for each of the pellets.

What enchantment roll are you referring to? I don't recall the Enchant Weapon spell requiring a roll. Also, the spell expressly affects up to 72 bullets at once, which is the right number of pellets for a shotgun shell.

And I agree that the mage would need to enchant the pile of pellets, then later load them into a shotgun shell.

(Hmm... I could really munchkin this up as a TW shotgun that enchants the pellets when fired. :twisted: I may do that just for fun. )

-------EDIT-------
I just did some quick math... this generates a ridiculous amount of damage. At point-blank range, where all 72 pellets hit for 2D6 MD, the average damage is 504 MD. And a double barrel blast would average 1008 MD. So for 800 PPE and the time to build the shells, you've got a one-time GlitterBoy killer blast on your hands.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i doubt it takes terribly long to pack a shotgun shell (and it doesn't need the mage), and 800 PPE only sounds like a lot until you can get ley line access. it's pretty silly.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Yeah, then you sacrifice PPE to make it a permanent enchantment, or it loses it's enchantment in 1 month/caster level, and you have to wait 3 months before you can cast the spell again.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

That’s one thing I was internally debating: the way the sentences are structured I’m not sure if the repeat casting limitation is for just permanent enchantments or for both temporary and permanent.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

dragonfett wrote:Yeah, then you sacrifice PPE to make it a permanent enchantment, or it loses it's enchantment in 1 month/caster level, and you have to wait 3 months before you can cast the spell again.

This is only if you use the Rifts' (mis-named) Enchant Weapon (minor) invocation.
If using the enchant weapon spells from NB durations range from days to months to perm. And they work differently (less stupidly in my opinion) then the rifts invocation. These enchant the projectile weapon itself and it co-ops the ammunition into the magic.
Yes, the limitation is that they only give extra damage vs the SN. But when monster hunting, this is not a downside when considering the possibility of freindly fire will not be as bad to the mortals on the team. The down side it that there is no extra damage when the weapon is turned on mechanics.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
dragonfett wrote:Yeah, then you sacrifice PPE to make it a permanent enchantment, or it loses it's enchantment in 1 month/caster level, and you have to wait 3 months before you can cast the spell again.

This is only if you use the Rifts' (mis-named) Enchant Weapon (minor) invocation.
If using the enchant weapon spells from NB durations range from days to months to perm. And they work differently (less stupidly in my opinion) then the rifts invocation. These enchant the projectile weapon itself and it co-ops the ammunition into the magic.
Yes, the limitation is that they only give extra damage vs the SN. But when monster hunting, this is not a downside when considering the possibility of freindly fire will not be as bad to the mortals on the team. The down side it that there is no extra damage when the weapon is turned on mechanics.
Out of curiosity, why do you consider the Rifts spell to be mis-named?

That Nightbane ritual is rather potent, especially since there is no limit stated to how often you use it and no permanent cost. He didn't stay in the campaign long enough to get around to it, but we did have a guy once with a Nightbane based sorcerer who had gotten that spell. His plan was basically to move to Rifts earth and profit from selling his services.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

It is level 15 and it is called "(minor)".
dreicunan
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:It is level 15 and it is called "(minor)".

Fair enough. I always figured that the "minor" was to distinguish distinguish the weapons it produces from major ones like what alchemists make or rune weapons, not the spell itsekf, but I can see your point.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

dreicunan wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:It is level 15 and it is called "(minor)".

Fair enough. I always figured that the "minor" was to distinguish distinguish the weapons it produces from major ones like what alchemists make or rune weapons, not the spell itsekf, but I can see your point.

That is why Palladium added "(Minor)" to the spell's name.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

What about railgun rounds which don't come in casing? The SAMAS railgun for example, 40 rounds of 1D4 hitting for 1D4x10 (equivalent to 10 single shots)
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Axelmania wrote:What about railgun rounds which don't come in casing? The SAMAS railgun for example, 40 rounds of 1D4 hitting for 1D4x10 (equivalent to 10 single shots)

I believe the spell's text addresses that.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Mack wrote:
Axelmania wrote:What about railgun rounds which don't come in casing? The SAMAS railgun for example, 40 rounds of 1D4 hitting for 1D4x10 (equivalent to 10 single shots)

I believe the spell's text addresses that.

A rail gun cannot be enchanted but the spell says nothing about rail gun ammo.
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

Personally i'd allow it, it only lasts a few months at most so big nations can't stockpile it massively. It can deal a massive amount of damage but for that amount of PPE that's to be expected, and a shotgun though amazing will need some working to get close enough to make this effective unless the robot is kind enough to come to them. Also if anyone feels the damage is too much say that the small size of the pellets in relation to the bullets results in reduced damage.But as for actual enchanting them I agree.

Short range, Limited ammo, High Cost, Shelf Life...I can't see a character carrying more than a few as trump cards
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

You actually have to enchant each individual pellet to get the shotgun shell to do the 2D6 damage. :P
If you enchant all 40 slugs in a SAMAS burst, then you can have double damage. Considering them the same approximate size as bullets the closest common number is 360 (I believe), so 5 castings = 9 bursts, and the Deevils will be feeling it. Better park yer butt on a nexus.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Mack wrote:That’s one thing I was internally debating: the way the sentences are structured I’m not sure if the repeat casting limitation is for just permanent enchantments or for both temporary and permanent.

We play it's for the permanent enchantments. Nukes the spell too bad if it isn't. We also play the 1 month per level applies to temporarily enchanted melee weapons not 1 shot missile weapons. Again the spell is not useful enough for its level and PPE cost if you carry the limitations to the extreme.
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

Nothing in Enchant Weapon (Minor) suggests any minimum size, so I vote yes, it's possible, just not necessarily feasible.
Book of Magic p152 wrote:When the ritual is performed, any one melee weapon, 48 bolts/arrows or 72 bullets can be infused with mystical energy.

Given that, I would say that you'd be limited to 72 pellets, and I might even double the number for something like birdshot if it weren't for the line that said bullets regardless of caliber do 2d6 each. The reason that I would rule this way is that #00 buckshot is basically the same diameter as a 9mm slug, and nobody would say that a 9mm slug shouldn't be able to be enchanted under this spell. Since they are essentially the same thing, I see no reason not to allow it.

Get much smaller than #00 buckshot, and you need too many pellets to make up a load for the spell to be cost-effective. It's 400 PPE for 72 pellets @ 2d6 each. That shotgun shell loaded with birdshot may do a whole mess of damage, but how many of the things can you afford to make, and how often? Especially considering that they only remain enchanted for 1 month/level.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
dreicunan
Hero

torjones wrote:Nothing in Enchant Weapon (Minor) suggests any minimum size, so I vote yes, it's possible, just not necessarily feasible.
Book of Magic p152 wrote:When the ritual is performed, any one melee weapon, 48 bolts/arrows or 72 bullets can be infused with mystical energy.

Given that, I would say that you'd be limited to 72 pellets, and I might even double the number for something like birdshot if it weren't for the line that said bullets regardless of caliber do 2d6 each. The reason that I would rule this way is that #00 buckshot is basically the same diameter as a 9mm slug, and nobody would say that a 9mm slug shouldn't be able to be enchanted under this spell. Since they are essentially the same thing, I see no reason not to allow it.

Get much smaller than #00 buckshot, and you need too many pellets to make up a load for the spell to be cost-effective. It's 400 PPE for 72 pellets @ 2d6 each. That shotgun shell loaded with birdshot may do a whole mess of damage, but how many of the things can you afford to make, and how often? Especially considering that they only remain enchanted for 1 month/level.
Well, get yourself a Techno-wizard and a Black Garnet, have it only cast in the temporary version, so it's a 4000 ppe construction cost, then get yourself a 5 caret black garnet and the activation cost is only 40 ppe. 8 carets is 25 ppe activation cost, and 10 carets is 20 ppe. If the limitation is read to only affect you when you make them permanent, then you could produce enough shells to be of concern to people.

Or just make a bunch of them as ley line devices and not have to worry about spending your ppe on them.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

dreicunan wrote:Well, get yourself a Techno-wizard and a Black Garnet, have it only cast in the temporary version, so it's a 4000 ppe construction cost, then get yourself a 5 caret black garnet and the activation cost is only 40 ppe. 8 carets is 25 ppe activation cost, and 10 carets is 20 ppe. If the limitation is read to only affect you when you make them permanent, then you could produce enough shells to be of concern to people.

Or just make a bunch of them as ley line devices and not have to worry about spending your ppe on them.

That is a by-the-book answer, but it's one I see very few GM's allowing. There's lots of things in TW creation that can easily be abused (I designed a Ressurection machine for only 5,000cr) and this falls into that category.

YMMV.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”