What comes after the Minion War?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ixal
D-Bee

What comes after the Minion War?

Unread post by Ixal »

If I am not mistaken with the Minion War everything from the Planetary Distress has come to pass. Also it has the potential to really shake up the established power structure in Rifts.

So how do you think Rifts will continue?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: What comes after the Minion War?

Unread post by eliakon »

Ixal wrote:If I am not mistaken with the Minion War everything from the Planetary Distress has come to pass. Also it has the potential to really shake up the established power structure in Rifts.

So how do you think Rifts will continue?

Same as it always has.
More books, more threats, more stuff.
There doesn't need to be a huge over arching meta-plot to make the game work.
I mean we have gone from 101 PA to 105 PA to 109 PA in how many years?

Heck we still haven't had our bug war or what ever they are going to call that.
And of course AFAIK it is not official that the Minion War is the final "Arise from chaos to cause chaos" threat.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

plenty of other stuff already in the setting that could become the next big threat that drives major events. Zazshan, nyxla, xiticix, the southwestern vampires, Calgary Monster Kingdom, Naut'yll...

honestly i would hope the next major metaplot arc moves away from north america. Europe is getting fleshed out enough that they could be center stage for the next big one, giving North America time to recover from the string of ones they've had.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Ixal wrote:What comes after the Minion War?

The War of the Masters since there are no minions left.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Minion war will temporarily deplete those who die away from home. During the decades they need to regen bosses will need to replenish from other sources.

This is where demons hold advantage. They can make demon knights, lesser demonic mortals, greater demonic mortals, death demons...not sure what limits there are on these.

I can't think of one thing like this open to dyval... Except Diabolus' biowizardry.

Loknar might hack Hel, Taut might back Hades..

Greek Gods I could see backing Dyval so Aidoneous can get a bigger slice. Indian Demons too... Meaning the good Indian gods might back Hades.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Axelmania wrote:Minion war will temporarily deplete those who die away from home. During the decades they need to regen bosses will need to replenish from other sources.

This is where demons hold advantage. They can make demon knights, lesser demonic mortals, greater demonic mortals, death demons...not sure what limits there are on these.

Death Demons desirability and/or trustworthiness are debatable, to say the least - also, wasn't there something in one of the books about Death of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse trying to usurp control from them and use the War as a springboard to anihilate whole chunks of the Megaverse through a Death Demon horde/plague?

Axelmania wrote:I can't think of one thing like this open to dyval... Except Diabolus' biowizardry.

Ain't there a race of deevyls developed from dragon eggs and biowizardry? I could see Diabolus perfecting the process or capturing/making deals with other dragons to buff those forces. Maybe put a price on live hatchlings through the Splugorth or something along those lines.

Axelmania wrote:Loknar might hack Hel, Taut might back Hades..

Greek Gods I could see backing Dyval so Aidoneous can get a bigger slice. Indian Demons too... Meaning the good Indian gods might back Hades.

I could certainly see the various divine factions and related infernal realms further complicating the matter.

Also, there's that little uncleared subject of the demon/deevyl lords versions in the Conversion Book/Dark Conversions - is Mephisto the only one who's actually an alien intelligence impersonator or all of them? It bears mentioning because the chapter on Nightbane speaks of the Red Flame Demons (a rival group of sorts of the Nightlords) as being agents of Modeus, what beggars the question, which one... :twisted:
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

To paraphrase a response I gave in another thread, after Rifts: Totally not the Blood War ends, the surface of the world will become embroiled in conflicts rising from beneath them as Dark Elves from a city that is totally not Menzoberranzan in the service of a Spider Goddess that is totally not Llolth begin a campaign of conquest, while slaver bands drag hapless victims beneath the ground to deliver to their totally not Ulitharid Masters who dwell below the ground in "Rifts: Totally not the Underdark."

That, or 50 Shades of Erin Tarn.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

pretty sure there's a giant pile of manuscripts on kevin's desk. i would love to see palladium actually catch up to all the stuff that is already in the pipeline, but right now, i'd say there's probably not much in the way of metaplot coming for quite some time....

for example, on the to-do list you would find:

the magic and monster books for Beyond the Supernatural, second edition.
several manuscripts for Splicers Books
probably one or more robotech books
probably a nightbane book (can't remember if it's still being worked on, or already submitted)
a couple more areas in rifts earth with no metaplot stuff mentioned to my knowledge (think there's one for russia maybe, and one for northern europe)

so... if kevin getting an office manager somehow doubles his production rate, i'd say that's easily enough right there to take him a couple years. assuming there isn't a bunch of other stuff submitted that he plans on releasing but i'm just not aware of it yet. for example, i don't follow palladium fantasy at all, but i wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one thing in the pipeline there. and quite possibly something for dead reign as well.

so, i wouldn't hold your breath for the next metaplot advancement... it could be a while :P
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

...and don't forget Mechanoids: SPACE

Shark_Force wrote:pretty sure there's a giant pile of manuscripts on kevin's desk. i would love to see palladium actually catch up to all the stuff that is already in the pipeline, but right now, i'd say there's probably not much in the way of metaplot coming for quite some time....

for example, on the to-do list you would find:

the magic and monster books for Beyond the Supernatural, second edition.
several manuscripts for Splicers Books
probably one or more robotech books
probably a nightbane book (can't remember if it's still being worked on, or already submitted)
a couple more areas in rifts earth with no metaplot stuff mentioned to my knowledge (think there's one for russia maybe, and one for northern europe)

so... if kevin getting an office manager somehow doubles his production rate, i'd say that's easily enough right there to take him a couple years. assuming there isn't a bunch of other stuff submitted that he plans on releasing but i'm just not aware of it yet. for example, i don't follow palladium fantasy at all, but i wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one thing in the pipeline there. and quite possibly something for dead reign as well.

so, i wouldn't hold your breath for the next metaplot advancement... it could be a while :P
SolCannibal
Champion

dreicunan wrote:To paraphrase a response I gave in another thread, after Rifts: Totally not the Blood War ends, the surface of the world will become embroiled in conflicts rising from beneath them as Dark Elves from a city that is totally not Menzoberranzan in the service of a Spider Goddess that is totally not Llolth begin a campaign of conquest, while slaver bands drag hapless victims beneath the ground to deliver to their totally not Ulitharid Masters who dwell below the ground in "Rifts: Totally not the Underdark."

A) Though the multi-setting arc relating to its heating up might be more recent, the Minion War has been referenced in books since before there was a Planescape or anything called Blood War.

B) No reference to Dark/Goth/Whatever elves in any Palladium books that i have ever heard off. No reference to a "Underdowns" or somesuch for that matter.

Wanna be funny, try harder...
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

SolCannibal wrote:
dreicunan wrote:To paraphrase a response I gave in another thread, after Rifts: Totally not the Blood War ends, the surface of the world will become embroiled in conflicts rising from beneath them as Dark Elves from a city that is totally not Menzoberranzan in the service of a Spider Goddess that is totally not Llolth begin a campaign of conquest, while slaver bands drag hapless victims beneath the ground to deliver to their totally not Ulitharid Masters who dwell below the ground in "Rifts: Totally not the Underdark."

A) Though the multi-setting arc relating to its heating up might be more recent, the Minion War has been referenced in books since before there was a Planescape or anything called Blood War.

B) No reference to Dark/Goth/Whatever elves in any Palladium books that i have ever heard off. No reference to a "Underdowns" or somesuch for that matter.

Wanna be funny, try harder...

I am pretty sure that my 1ed manual of the planes talked about the blood war, though I could be wrong.
The "Endless war between Demon and Devil" was a staple of the 1ed D&D, and predated the A prefix.

Which to be fair is why it showed up in Palladium.
When PF started it was a homebrew modified AD&D game...
...so of course all the AD&D tropes would be in it. That would sort of be a given.
Some of them just stayed around more than others.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

so-called Deevil Dragons (I prefer Devil Dragons / Dyval Dragons) would be limited by how fast dragons can lay eggs. Not sure what limits are on that. I imagine changing small animals that reproduce quickly (rats?) into Death Demons would be faster. Dog Boys would also be interesting candidates.

Untrustworthy sure. You would need other Greater Demons (regent, maybe even Lord) to Corral them.
SolCannibal
Champion

Axelmania wrote:so-called Deevil Dragons (I prefer Devil Dragons / Dyval Dragons) would be limited by how fast dragons can lay eggs. Not sure what limits are on that. I imagine changing small animals that reproduce quickly (rats?) into Death Demons would be faster. Dog Boys would also be interesting candidates.

Untrustworthy sure. You would need other Greater Demons (regent, maybe even Lord) to Corral them.

True, but part of the point of making the Deevil Dragons is exactly access to proper magically puisant materials to make a new deevil race, so to speak. Would hardly work with your run-of-the-mill D-bee or SDC critter. And arranging the theft of such eggs in a number of places across the Megaverse is always a viable option to actual deals.

And as an aside, what kind of vaguely rational being actually would want to become a Death Demon? It ain't exactly the most appetizing of prospects to say the least, potential value as cannon fodder notwithstanding.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Well in my games a crazy TW/alchemist comes in and starts providing gear and troops to the true federation of magic. Nothing says hey PCs stop this evil like arming up a terrorist group to launch a full scale assault on NA.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

SolCannibal wrote:.

And as an aside, what kind of vaguely rational being actually would want to become a Death Demon? It ain't exactly the most appetizing of prospects to say the least, potential value as cannon fodder notwithstanding.

The desperate, the crazy (and so not rational), those with a pain/suffering/horror fetish, properly brainwashed cultists/followers and those people who want power at any cost. That all said...i didnt think wanting to be a death demon was a requirment for basically being infected with the supernatural equivelant of undeath plague?

Not that your gonna get thanks for it that way but sadly most people arent as dedicated and brainwashed as my prefered victims...um followers...um...my chosen!who must suffer to bring glory to their people!...ya thats the line im sticking to
SolCannibal
Champion

Nightmartree wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:.

The desperate, the crazy (and so not rational), those with a pain/suffering/horror fetish, properly brainwashed cultists/followers and those people who want power at any cost. That all said...i didnt think wanting to be a death demon was a requirment for basically being infected with the supernatural equivelant of undeath plague?

Nope, but might be helpful, to say the least, with keeping a horde of them at least minimally coralled/under one's control.

Nightmartree wrote:Not that your gonna get thanks for it that way but sadly most people arent as dedicated and brainwashed as my prefered victims...um followers...um...my chosen!who must suffer to bring glory to their people!...ya thats the line im sticking to

With both a herd/flock and brainwashing a degree of compliance/colaboration from the mark might be required. Anyway, less simple to sell than other "paths to power" and such. What as an aside makes me think if any of the Lords of Hades or Dyval would be willing to experiment with developing variants of vampirism, lycanthropy or something similar.
Axelmania
Knight

I doubt permission matters when coordinating Death Demon.creation campaigns. The only concern is preventing the victims from getting killed before they turn.

Consent or Dissent mostly becomes irrelevant since the process dramatically alters the psyche. I don't know if they could remember if they agreed or not.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

SolCannibal wrote:
With both a herd/flock and brainwashing a degree of compliance/colaboration from the mark might be required. Anyway, less simple to sell than other "paths to power" and such. What as an aside makes me think if any of the Lords of Hades or Dyval would be willing to experiment with developing variants of vampirism, lycanthropy or something similar.

honestly I can kinda see the appeal, but I think with their level of power they're actually better off just whammying people with demon magic powers (aka give them knowledge and a pact like a witch) or just straight up making a whole new species/race of demons or somesuch to serve them. I'm not 100% sure its viable for them but I am 100% sure its doable, and if you have eternity and massive amounts of magic and power why not?and if you might lose your eternity on the pointy end of a stick it could be a great motivation to get some new loyal followers...also don't several of them have the deific power to create life? it zaps their strength greatly but I wouldn't be surprised if a dm wants to have a "Secret" race that they made to prepare for the war as a trump card/surprise force.
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

Don't they already have rules for fiendish symbiote armor/weapons?
SolCannibal
Champion

Nightmartree wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

honestly I can kinda see the appeal, but I think with their level of power they're actually better off just whammying people with demon magic powers (aka give them knowledge and a pact like a witch) or just straight up making a whole new species/race of demons or somesuch to serve them. I'm not 100% sure its viable for them but I am 100% sure its doable, and if you have eternity and massive amounts of magic and power why not?and if you might lose your eternity on the pointy end of a stick it could be a great motivation to get some new loyal followers...also don't several of them have the deific power to create life? it zaps their strength greatly but I wouldn't be surprised if a dm wants to have a "Secret" race that they made to prepare for the war as a trump card/surprise force.

And yet Sathalus invested the time and effort in creating the Deevil Dragons through other methods, so....
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

One thing that most people have forgotten; there are other powers out there in the megaverse aside from Hades & Dyval.
Okay so the two hell polities burn each other into cinders *shrug* so what?
The Dweller Below, Ixlla, The Lord of Deep, Splynn just to name some are waiting in the wings to swoop in when the blood dries. Then how about the Great Old Ones; who's to say the shennanigans between the twin Hells won't wake up one or more of these eldritch horrors.

There is PLENTY for GM's to throw at the heroes after the minion wars fizzle out.

Oh and then there is what a creative GM can kit-bash on their own.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Axelmania
Knight

Where are the Boschala orgies amidst all this? Figured shifters would be summoning them like mad. 13 can become 14 every 24 hours, that is bound to get geometric.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

The mechanoids the bug wars alister dunscon you name it that worlds got a lot waiting in the wings.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

and it is worth noting that several of the edict's threats haven't actually done much of anything.. Zashan does not appear to have any major plots going on yet, the mechanoids could still show up again (either as remnants building an army locally, or a larger force arriving in response to the earlier group's signals) , Tikkilik still slumbers..

really, while we have most everything on the edict named now, the majority of them still haven't actually done much of anything.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nightmartree
Adventurer

SolCannibal wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

And yet Sathalus invested the time and effort in creating the Deevil Dragons through other methods, so....

I haven't looked at them but its my understanding its a corruption of a dragon right?thats a whole other deal than a bit of vampiric/lycanthropic/witch path to power. That's making one of the biggest powers in the megaverse a potential enemy/minion. Its less a matter of a path to power and more a matter of corrupting an incredibly powerful enemy to your side.

besides, the base level of power of deific creation is from player character basic to lesser demon/deevil, which they have plenty of already but the benefits of making your own are specialization, potential surprise, and the fact that i'm a building maniac and would giggle myself to sleep at night if I could cast that spell and slowly build up several child races to stand beside me

so in other words i'm biased, but its seems to be far harder to raise something from the level of a lesser demon up than to just just make lesser demons or use the standard paths of power. And the corruption of a dragon or supernatural creature I don't consider on the level of lycanthropey or vampirism, simply because supernaturals seem to reject and be immune to such corruption on principle and need a specific exception and a lotta power to whammy them. Otherwise I can bet you vampire intelligences would giggle themselves sick over dragon hatchlings appearing anywhere near them.
Axelmania
Knight

Remember these powers cost HP...

Dunscon "what if I asked you to use Create Minion?"
Anubis "it would be extremely painful".
SolCannibal
Champion

Nightmartree wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

I haven't looked at them but its my understanding its a corruption of a dragon right?thats a whole other deal than a bit of vampiric/lycanthropic/witch path to power. That's making one of the biggest powers in the megaverse a potential enemy/minion. Its less a matter of a path to power and more a matter of corrupting an incredibly powerful enemy to your side.

Yup, i can see you don't know what i'm referencing. But i also must admit to a fumble along the way, as i mixed up names, speaking of Deevil Dragons when my actual point/target were Shock Dragons, another minion race.

Summing it up - at some not clearly defined point in the past (afaik at the moment), Sahtalus made some kind of deal with a particular minor/weak dragon race, whose adults, in exchange for becoming Deevil Dragons (better than run-of-the-mill hatchlings, but not by much) they would sacrifice the greater part of their eggs for use as "building materials" into the making of a minion race, the Shock Dragons.

Honestly, while dragons can bet quite selfish and ruthless at times, the simple fact these "dragons" felt becoming Deevil Dragons was a step up worth of eternal vassalage and sacrificing their children as alchemical lab rats, does kind of imply they weren't all that great and mighty in the first place (i'm kind of guessing Basilisk/Cockatrice tier or something similar).

Nightmartree wrote:besides, the base level of power of deific creation is from player character basic to lesser demon/deevil, which they have plenty of already but the benefits of making your own are specialization, potential surprise, and the fact that i'm a building maniac and would giggle myself to sleep at night if I could cast that spell and slowly build up several child races to stand beside me.

Well, as i hope it seems much clearer this time around, making grunts seems to be the deevils focus, as the far greater resources seem to be dedicated to making more shock dragon troops than deevil dragons. Making for quite direct canon examples of races being made to the Minion War, but through alternative methods in relation to the deific creation power.

Nightmartree wrote:so in other words i'm biased, but its seems to be far harder to raise something from the level of a lesser demon up than to just just make lesser demons or use the standard paths of power. And the corruption of a dragon or supernatural creature I don't consider on the level of lycanthropey or vampirism, simply because supernaturals seem to reject and be immune to such corruption on principle and need a specific exception and a lotta power to whammy them. Otherwise I can bet you vampire intelligences would giggle themselves sick over dragon hatchlings appearing anywhere near them.

Well, my idea was anything but making souped-up vampires or lycanthropes - more like developing some variant of vampire or lycanthrope that was supernaturally tied to them in some way could be a major resource to either side of the sides in the Minion War. As there's at least one canon example of a supernatural creature that was somehow remade into a Vampire Intelligence - Kingu in Pantheons of the Megaverse (and maybe Vald-Tegor from Dragons & Gods, who's "unusual for his kind" to say the least) - it's certainly within the realm of (theoretical) possibility.

DhAkael wrote:One thing that most people have forgotten; there are other powers out there in the megaverse aside from Hades & Dyval.
Okay so the two hell polities burn each other into cinders *shrug* so what?
The Dweller Below, Ixlla, The Lord of Deep, Splynn just to name some are waiting in the wings to swoop in when the blood dries. Then how about the Great Old Ones; who's to say the shennanigans between the twin Hells won't wake up one or more of these eldritch horrors.

There is PLENTY for GM's to throw at the heroes after the minion wars fizzle out.

Oh and then there is what a creative GM can kit-bash on their own.

Far from forgotten actually - in fact my Minion War game is more of a "Outsiders exploiting the Minion War" as a number of "alternate infernal polities" spy, sabotage, subvert agents and them some, further complicating the conflict while advancing their own agendas and individual transdimensional intrigues. The PCs have actually loved all the backstabbing and mayhem, giving about as bad as they have received. :wink:

Axelmania wrote:Where are the Boschala orgies amidst all this? Figured shifters would be summoning them like mad. 13 can become 14 every 24 hours, that is bound to get geometric.

It sure could be lots of fun, except for the "a sorcerer cannot control 13 or more Boschala. They will not attack him, unless he attacks one first, but they will completely ignore him and run off into the world." part - and maybe even with that, depends on what the summoner involved has in mind - or not. :twisted:
Last edited by SolCannibal on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

SolCannibal wrote:
Yup, i can see you don't know what i'm referencing. But i also must admit to a fumble along the way, as i mixed up names, speaking of Deevil Dragons when my actual point/target were Shock Dragons, another minion race.

Summing it up - at some not clearly defined point in the past (afaik at the moment), Sahtalus made some kind of deal with a particular minor/weak dragon race, whose adults, in exchange for becoming Deevil Dragons (better than run-of-the-mill hatchlings, but not by much) they would sacrifice the greater part of their eggs for use as "building materials" into the making of a minion race, the Shock Dragons.

Honestly, while dragons can bet quite selfish and ruthless at times, the simple fact these "dragons" felt becoming Deevil Dragons was a step up worth of eternal vassalage and sacrificing their children as alchemical lab rats, does kind of imply they weren't all that great and mighty in the first place (i'm kind of guessing Basilisk/Cockatrice tier or something similar).

Nightmartree wrote:besides, the base level of power of deific creation is from player character basic to lesser demon/deevil, which they have plenty of already but the benefits of making your own are specialization, potential surprise, and the fact that i'm a building maniac and would giggle myself to sleep at night if I could cast that spell and slowly build up several child races to stand beside me.

Well, as i hope it seems much clearer this time around, making grunts seems to be the deevils focus, as the far greater resources seem to be dedicated to making more shock dragon troops than deevil dragons. Making for quite direct canon examples of races being made to the Minion War, but through alternative methods in relation to the deific creation power.

Nightmartree wrote:so in other words i'm biased, but its seems to be far harder to raise something from the level of a lesser demon up than to just just make lesser demons or use the standard paths of power. And the corruption of a dragon or supernatural creature I don't consider on the level of lycanthropey or vampirism, simply because supernaturals seem to reject and be immune to such corruption on principle and need a specific exception and a lotta power to whammy them. Otherwise I can bet you vampire intelligences would giggle themselves sick over dragon hatchlings appearing anywhere near them.

Well, my idea was anything but making souped-up vampires or lycanthropes - more like developing some variant of vampire or lycanthrope that was supernaturally tied to them in some way could be a major resource to either side of the Minion War. As there's at least one canon example of a supernatural creature that somehow remade into a Vampire Intelligence - Kingu in Pantheons of the Megaverse (and maybe Vald-Tegor from Dragons & Gods, who's "unusual for his kind" to say the least) - it's certainly within the realm of (theoretical) possibility.

Alright, and ya there is that example but most supernatural creature can't be "corrupted" by one, didn't he get molded or transformed into one? which does bring up the idea of a magical equivalent to vampirism without the alien corrupting essence
Axelmania wrote:Remember these powers cost HP...

Dunscon "what if I asked you to use Create Minion?"
Anubis "it would be extremely painful".

yes they do, and that's why I said they'd do it in secret. As for me? I'd be willing to bear it for the starting seeds for a race I desired. I belong to the group of people who if I had power to form an organization of mighty power and lead them i'd do it just so I could send other people out to do things, and so me being weakened isn't a big deal, i'm not the power, my followers/minions are. I also get excited over new counter intrusion methods and infiltration techniques for theoretical bases my characters could possibly build...so...ya I need a base that can stop 5 gods from attacking? give me access to some ready resources and some proper minions/skills and watch the work begin.

basically, spending a few HP that i'll recover for a permanent minion is a dream for me. As is having a high tech level or magic mastery.
Axelmania
Knight

SolCannibal wrote:It sure could be lots of fun, except for the "a sorcerer cannot control 13 or more Boschala. They will not attack him, unless he attacks one first, but they will completely ignore him and run off into the world." part - and maybe even with that, depends on what the summoner involved has in mind - or not. :twisted:

I think it would be a good idea for Temporal Raiders to do this, more MDC food sources for them.

That said: the 13 who rebel may not attack you, but perhaps the 14th (their kid) might?

That is, unless you summon the 14th using Summon Lesser Being to reinforce control over the new gen.
SolCannibal
Champion

Axelmania wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:It sure could be lots of fun, except for the "a sorcerer cannot control 13 or more Boschala. They will not attack him, unless he attacks one first, but they will completely ignore him and run off into the world." part - and maybe even with that, depends on what the summoner involved has in mind - or not. :twisted:

I think it would be a good idea for Temporal Raiders to do this, more MDC food sources for them.

Must admit it has been some time since i last checked the Raiders - is their focus more on MDC or other stuff like PPE or ISP?

Axelmania wrote:That said: the 13 who rebel may not attack you, but perhaps the 14th (their kid) might?

That is, unless you summon the 14th using Summon Lesser Being to reinforce control over the new gen.

Certainly possible, but my impression is that the intent of the text is more "go rogue forth and multiply" than toying with the "servant turns against the master" trope, though that is certainly a viable option too.
The Beast

Axelmania wrote:

That said: the 13 who rebel may not attack you, but perhaps the 14th (their kid) might?

That wouldn't work. Their description states that the mage loses control over them once there is thirteen boschala present. The best a mage can hope for at that point is that the fourteenth just follows the others and not attack the mage. While it is stated the original thirteen won't attack unless the mage does so first, there isn't any definitive statement on the new one.
Axelmania
Knight

It would work. If you cast a spell to summon the newborn, even if it later goes on a breeding spree and you cannot command it anymore it will still avoid harming you.

Actually... if every single human on the planet summoned the same Boschala, it could never willingly attack any of them, as they would all be protected ex-masters.
TeeAychEeMarchHare
Explorer
Comment: War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Unread post by TeeAychEeMarchHare »

A whole bunch of Minion War and/or Tolkeen War veterans who have come to see D-Bees and magic users as people too, people capable of both good and evil just like humans, who decide to publicly discard the Official CS Line, and either fix the CS or break away. So a coup within the CS, or a war for independence of the dissenters, which *will* be mislabeled as "the CS Civil War".
Too much ammo is a self-correcting problem.
Axelmania
Knight

If there is reformation it will be gradual. The most likely thing is that an alliance with South America causes magic-hating dwarves to be accepted. Just because Tiirvol Sword Fist supposey sacrificed himself defending you from a demon (or was that just a magic illusion that got vapourized by fire?) doesn't mean human segregation is a bad idea.

Anti Monsters may need to be altered somewhat.

Perhaps also very limited application of energy-based technowizardry (ie blinding flash batteries) based on nonverbal casting, if that is possible.

Rifts does mention Words of Power (calling in Old Ones, Dragon Gods, Demons, Elves) being integral to spellcasting like PF so perhaps?

I'm still not entirely sure if technowizars in RUE need to talk when casting through an object.

Sign language is also a language so what of gesture is enough?

Technocan, isn't that written only? What if tech owizards can silently cast by typing a spell on a palm pad?
SolCannibal
Champion

Me, i must admit i'm not worried about the after the Minion War so much as toying with the conflict in its multi-tiered crossdimensional span and with picking or making up additional powers - infernal, dark or merely opportunistic - observing, interfering or exploiting the War in whichever way each feels is more appropriate to their own interests.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I agree that they need to focus on a flesh out other areas of the world and existing threats. Even with no big world ending meta plot we still have plenty to work with.

dreicunan wrote:That, or 50 Shades of Erin Tarn.

This might be the most disturbing thing I've heard all day
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
jtjr26
Wanderer

Unread post by jtjr26 »

In terms of the story cannon it has been a destructive 10 years from 100PA to 110PA. I would like to see some time pass, some new meta characters and maybe a slow build to the next major development. Personally I want to see the opening up of the solar system and how the various powers in the solar system react to contact with Earth. This would probably require a reworking of or complete recreation of what is in orbit. What if first contact between the CS and one of the Australian Human mega cities occurred in orbit. Or maybe we can finally get some info on this lightly referenced technologically advanced Scandinavian nation that has been trying to get rockets into orbit in the past.
Axelmania
Knight

Warshield73 wrote:

I would be surprised if the NGR did not have something like this.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

jtjr26 wrote:Or maybe we can finally get some info on this lightly referenced technologically advanced Scandinavian nation that has been trying to get rockets into orbit in the past.

>_>
<_<
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Axelmania wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

Yeah, probably true. It would be less disturbing then the Japanese version though. :puke:
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Warshield73 wrote:
Axelmania wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

Yeah, probably true. It would be less disturbing then the Japanese version though. :puke:

It would have less tentacles at least :lol:

CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Bananas!

8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

CyCo wrote:Bananas!

8p

No, tapionca.

No, we either need Mindwerks to spring some nastiness to reverse the NGR's gains in the Bloody Campaign, or something to emerge from central Asia to focus attention there.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

Axelmania wrote:

What book can we find temporal raiders in?
The Beast

Tick wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

England
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Tick wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

WB3: England.

There are some further referrences to them in some of the Phase World books (and a few new Temporal Spells, as well) if i recall correctly.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:

8p

No, tapionca.

No, we either need Mindwerks to spring some nastiness to reverse the NGR's gains in the Bloody Campaign, or something to emerge from central Asia to focus attention there.

Butterscotch?

I have always assumed that the next threat to the NGR would be out of Russia. I have always wanted to see a war in Rifts between two major technological powers and Sovietski should have some major differences with the NGR.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Warshield73 wrote:
taalismn wrote:

8p

No, tapionca.

Butterscotch?

I have always assumed that the next threat to the NGR would be out of Russia. I have always wanted to see a war in Rifts between two major technological powers and Sovietski should have some major differences with the NGR.

Unless there are a lot more people living there than was ever intimated, the Sovietski doesntnhave the manpower to be a remotely credible threat to the NGR - not to mention they'd have to fight their way through a few million hostile Brodkil to even get to the NGR.

I dont think their potential political differences could ever amount to them being insane enough to go head to head with the Brodkil Empire, just to get at the NGR. (Who they trade with).
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The horrors to come of The Flooper Uprising. Not the curbstomp their detractors exoect....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

taalismn wrote:The horrors to come of The Flooper Uprising. Not the curbstomp their detractors exoect....

Shhhhh
Don't give them warnings.
Surprise is still one of their greatest weapons.

Return to “Rifts®”