hey what happened to NMI Black Vault?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Baron of chaos
Champion

hey what happened to NMI Black Vault?

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

It just disappeared, all of sudden. Anyone know if exist a backup somewhere?
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Slight001
Hero

Re: hey what happened to NMI Black Vault?

Unread post by Slight001 »

you could try the wayback machine.

edit: Though I would note that it's likely a hickup. They do happen from time to time.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

You could PM NMI with that question.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

NMI has to pay for the site. He is currently trying to get the money but it is down until he can pay on it.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:NMI has to pay for the site. He is currently trying to get the money but it is down until he can pay on it.
So let me get this straight: You've been working compiling stuff on the site for ten years and they can take all that work away if he doesn't make his annual payment?
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Gryphon Chick wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:NMI has to pay for the site. He is currently trying to get the money but it is down until he can pay on it.
So let me get this straight: You've been working compiling stuff on the site for ten years and they can take all that work away if he doesn't make his annual payment?

Yup. But it's not like Nimmy has to do it. He's been generous up til now but I can't take that for granted.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Gryphon Chick wrote:

And just one more reason I prefer hard copies of materials I use for games over digital versions, but that is my personal preference.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Razorwing wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:

And just one more reason I prefer hard copies of materials I use for games over digital versions, but that is my personal preference.
There is a setting here on the forums that will allow you to print posts out so you can have them in hard copy form. All of the materials in the Black Vault Wiki were posted here first, so you could basically get everything that is posted to the Vault if you spent a lot of time. I think once the Vault is back up it is also possible to print out the pages there.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

There also used to be an archived file that you could download. But, yeah, you can print the pages you want once the site is back up and running.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Gryphon Chick wrote:

Rent and mortgages and stuff are annoying like that.
On the bright side those people that use the site could probably offer to help kick in the needed money.
Its a chunk of change for one person, but its a lot less if you have 10 or 20 or 500 people spreading the costs around.

Just a thought.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

It's not really that much, only $150, but Nimmy has had a lot of difficulties this past year.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:It's not really that much, only $150, but Nimmy has had a lot of difficulties this past year.

When stuff happens, yeah $150 can be a bridge to far. Been there, done that I know it all to well unfortunately.
But my point remains...
...so far he has done this for a rather long time out of the goodness of his heart, at his own expense.
It sort of frustrates me to see people get upset when a free (to them) service that someone else is paying for gets interrupted.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

eliakon wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:It's not really that much, only $150, but Nimmy has had a lot of difficulties this past year.

When stuff happens, yeah $150 can be a bridge to far. Been there, done that I know it all to well unfortunately.
But my point remains...
...so far he has done this for a rather long time out of the goodness of his heart, at his own expense.
It sort of frustrates me to see people get upset when a free (to them) service that someone else is paying for gets interrupted.
I am not upset, personally. Yes, it has been a lot of work to put it all up, but the information is not lost. It is still on the forums for the most part. And as far as I know, Nimmy is going to get the money. He just needs some time to do so.
CMDrunk
D-Bee

Unread post by CMDrunk »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
eliakon wrote:

But my point remains...
I am not upset, personally. Yes, it has been a lot of work to put it all up, but the information is not lost. It is still on the forums for the most part. And as far as I know, Nimmy is going to get the money. He just needs some time to do so.

http://webpagetopdf.com
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

CMDrunk wrote:http://webpagetopdf.com
Thanks. This might come in handy once the site is actually accessible again.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Has anyone suggested to NIMI that he do a Patreon for this? If even 10 of us did $1 a month it would cover the cost of the site. I have used it enough that I would.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Warshield73 wrote:Has anyone suggested to NIMI that he do a Patreon for this? If even 10 of us did $1 a month it would cover the cost of the site. I have used it enough that I would.
Not that I am aware of. You could try sending him a private message to that effect.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I am not a huge user of the Vault, but I would be happy to contribute to the bucket.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

RockJock wrote:I am not a huge user of the Vault, but I would be happy to contribute to the bucket.
You might want to let Nimmy know.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

I'm going to reveal my ignorance (again)... what's the black vault?
Last edited by Jack Burton on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Jack Burton wrote:I'm going to reveal me ignorance (again)... what's the black vault?
The Black Vault Wiki is a site where thousands of homebrew powers created by various individuals were collected, mainly by yours truly, from the forums and indexed and edited for easy reference. The site also has other materials, but it was started to colect the powers posted in the New Powers thread in this forum. All of the materials posted to the wiki were posted here first, so they can be found, just not as easily.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I'm not sure it was thousands, but it was a few hundred at least.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I'm not sure it was thousands, but it was a few hundred at least.
Iczer alone has over a thousand powers in there. I have over 800 powers. And in addition to that, there were the pages contributed by other people and the other materials I wrote, such as the creatures. It is thousands. But all that work I put in collecting it all to the Wiki will have been wasted if Nimmy doesn't pay to get the site back up.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:I'm not sure it was thousands, but it was a few hundred at least.
Iczer alone has over a thousand powers in there. I have over 800 powers. And in addition to that, there were the pages contributed by other people and the other materials I wrote, such as the creatures. It is thousands. But all that work I put in collecting it all to the Wiki will have been wasted if Nimmy doesn't pay to get the site back up.

Anybody know how much he needs to get it up?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Jack Burton wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Anybody know how much he needs to get it up?
Nimmy said it is $150 yearly.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Eeeehhhh. I used to go there pretty regular. I never saw 1000s, unless they were some how hidden in a fashion I couldn't access them. There just wern't that many links to click.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Eeeehhhh. I used to go there pretty regular. I never saw 1000s, unless they were some how hidden in a fashion I couldn't access them. There just wern't that many links to click.
The powers are sorted by type, so that breaks up how many links have to be sorted through to find the power you are looking for. If you go to the individual author pages you get a more realistic idea of how many were posted by individual contributors. Most authors did not have that many, but as I said, Iczer and I both have around a thousand pages just in powers. I have been posting there regularly for ten years, so it adds up.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Hopefully it'll come back up. I had a few too, but never saw 1000s.

100s, sure but it takes alot to get to 1000s.

Hopefully we'll be able to see at some point.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Hopefully we'll be able to see at some point.
I'm hoping so. I put a lot of work into compiling everything.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I's been seven weeks, so I don't know if it will ever return. I don't know how long they will keep his account active. I personally cannot help, which is a shame, as i really would like to not have it disappear.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

If someone is willing to do the work in getting everything from here and putting it in at least a text file of some kind, I will happily put it up on my personal wiki for everyone to access.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Stone Gargoyle....and Iczer or anyone else...if you still have your originals I will gladly put them up on my personal wiki as well.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

jaymz wrote:If someone is willing to do the work in getting everything from here and putting it in at least a text file of some kind, I will happily put it up on my personal wiki for everyone to access.
I already collected them once. I'm not wanting to do the work to collect them all again.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I am currently copying all the stuff I've written to Word documents. You know, just in case.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

*thumbs up*

\m/
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

NMI will accept donations towards restoring the site. You can reach out to him on Facebook.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Glistam wrote:NMI will accept donations towards restoring the site. You can reach out to him on Facebook.
Yes, his real name is Jeff Ruiz and his profile picture has him holding a Stitch plushie.
RockJock
Knight

I PMed, and that worked as well.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The wiki will be back up in a few days. Thank you to everyone who donated money to make it possible. It is paid up for three years now, apparently.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Looking forward to it's return.

I'm very curious to see the 'thousands' of powers and such.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

It's back up. Here is a link to my page if you care to count my contributions:
http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... e_Gargoyle
Here is a link to Iczer's page:
http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... s_By_Iczer
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:It's back up.
Yay!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

U-raahhhhh!!!! 8) 8) 8)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Thank you everyone for for concerns, thoughts, opinions and overall desire to see The Black Vault Wiki return. Thanks to a few people, I was able to resurrect the site (as well as my various other related sites and email accounts.

The site is going to be up for at least the next 3 years.

I like the idea of a patreon or maybe a GoFundMe to help pay for maintenance costs, upgrades, etc.

The one thing I know that I don't want to do is have any sort of ads or popups.

There used to be someone who ran a script from his computer that would download and compile the site into a simple to use document, but here's no longer around. I believe that person was Gadrin???
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I've written a script that will run once a week and download the site to my Dropbox account. The site will not lose any data as far as I'm concerned.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

NMI wrote:I've written a script that will run once a week and download the site to my Dropbox account. The site will not lose any data as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you for your hard work. That goes for everyone else who was involved. This information is awesome to have access to!
RockJock
Knight

Glad to see the Vault back up and running. Thanks to everyone who donated, or spread the word.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

NMI wrote:I've written a script that will run once a week and download the site to my Dropbox account. The site will not lose any data as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks Nimmy.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Should I still archive things as well as a back-up?

\m/
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

The power and apprehsion of Palladium fans is an awesome thing to see.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”