Boxed Nightmares

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rathorc Lemenger
Hero
Comment: I am the explorer Extreme. Searcher of all things mysterious and interesting. FEAR ME.

Boxed Nightmares

Unread post by Rathorc Lemenger »

I've just finished reading the Boxed Nightmares book today. Which means that I have got an interesting question for all of you: Has anyone read the Boxed Nightmares book, if so what're your thoughts on it??

Signed,
Rathorc Lemenger.
I've created a monster.-Taalismn.
Believe in the unbelieveable, and you shall become known to the unknown-Rathorc Lemenger
It is well documented that for every minute you excercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you, at 85 years of age, to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5,000 per month-An anonymous family member of Rathorc Lemenger.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Re: Boxed Nightmares

Unread post by thorr-kan »

I enjoyed reading it. The framing device of a World Weekly Newspaper is epic '80s.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I liked it.
It has found a lot of use in my games. If not for the specific adventures, but for stuff to be mined (the Doppleganger Entity or the Devouring Horned Lizard-Beast for instance)

I have used the organization generation table in many a game as well.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

EhC wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:I enjoyed reading it. The framing device of a World Weekly Newspaper is epic '80s.

Agreed. One of Palladium's most clever releases!

Yeah, I just wish Palladium hadn't printed which stories go with which adventure in the paper. That way there you could have kept the players guessing which ones were the actual adventures.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Nothing stops a GM from making an adventure about one of the other stories
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Which is totally not what I'm talking about.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

If the GM has made actual adventures too, there is no way for the players to know which stories are adventure leads and which weren't.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well i do not have it,but I like to known what Monsters and Npc are in it?
To see if they can wokr in my games.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

gaby wrote:Well i do not have it...

You can get the PDF for it, including the newsletter at http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/61145/Boxed-Nightmares--1st-Edtion-Rules
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Ouroboros
D-Bee

Unread post by Ouroboros »

I had this years ago, but lost it somewhere along the line sadly. I loved boxed nightmares, especially the organization generation rules and the adventure linked tabloid - I thought that was a really neat concept. The details of the supplement are hazy now, but If I ran another BtS game again, I would like to use the tabloid organization itself as a player connection / hook generator. Leads on weird happenings occasionally passed on to player investigators by one of the Reporters from After Midnight, something to that effect. Some interesting conspiracy theory elements that could come into play there.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Did you guys see that Palladium is doing a limited run of a few out-of-print books, Boxed Nightmares being one of them? That's pretty awesome! I wonder if the newspaper insert is going to be included in the special printing. Neat!
Gangrel44
D-Bee

Unread post by Gangrel44 »

I just got the reprint and unfortunately, the news paper is not separate from the main book. It's part of the book. But in any case, I'm glad to have it. Been wanting this book for a long time...
Starveined
D-Bee

Unread post by Starveined »

Okay so I own it and it sitting on my shelf happily. I loved every bit of it. The cover was one of my all time favorites! My group and I have continued the idea of a News Paper on Paranormal Events for our games. Its great fun and I award xp for articles written.

That aside, this was one of my favorite books of Palladium over all. I love anything that gives us a peek into the monsters and the creatures of the BTS world. (My group is still playing 1st edition) and we will continue to play that until the new BTS books are released for magic. Since at least 3 members of my group really want to run a Cabal for a game. So we are patiently waiting on that.

It also has details to write up organizations within the BTS world which helped me so much when I first began to GM it.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”