Crossover trivia - Could the Dark be a slumbering Abzu?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SolCannibal
Champion

Crossover trivia - Could the Dark be a slumbering Abzu?

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Hello people, had been toying with a whole different thread - one about possible connections between the Marduk from Macross II and the sumero-babylonian gods from Pantheons of the Megaverse - when someone brought True Atlanteans into the mix and while there are some fluff reasons given in Pantheons i don't see True Atlanteans really influencing or being influenced by either....

Well, i just remembered the Nightlords are implied to be originated from a different version of Atlantis. One that is up to the ears in names and titles that seem to be taken almost straight from canaanite/mesopotamian mythology, if my memory tricks me not, that is.

So much so that the thought of the Dark being Abzu, the slumbering big bad alien intelligence creator power behind the mesopotamian pantheon, started to gnaw into my mind really bad and i decided to bring it here, to see how much of it is my imagination filling the gaps after years without reading Nightbane stuff or if it makes sense to other people.

Thoughts, criticisms, doubts, ideas, musings, obscure references, suggestions, throw whatever you feels would fit the subject, the more the merrier.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re: Crossover trivia - Could the Dark be a slumbering Abzu?

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

I doubt it was intended as such, but it makes an interesting interpretation.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
SolCannibal
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:I doubt it was intended as such, but it makes an interesting interpretation.

Certainly not intended, as in its original take Nightbane was intended as mostly independent/separate from Rifts' Megaverse, but still we get a nice bread crumb trail of dots to connect in the end. :twisted:
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Certainly. I do like the thought.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The thought I had was that it could be the "evilness" of Xy, from when he was turned into Thoth.

ST:NG had an episode with this concept. The one where Tasha Yar dies.
And there is the M Tree in the PF ET book that takes filters out the evil from the power it syphons off the slumbering OO it is above, and spits it out.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SolCannibal
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The thought I had was that it could be the "evilness" of Xy, from when he was turned into Thoth.

ST:NG had an episode with this concept. The one where Tasha Yar dies.
And there is the M Tree in the PF ET book that takes filters out the evil from the power it syphons off the slumbering OO it is above, and spits it out.

PF ET? Not quite catching what Palladium Fantasy book you mean, though i'm curious.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Eastern Territories.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SolCannibal
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Eastern Territories.

Thanks a bunch.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

My personal pet theory was that this is the Old One Netosa.
After all Netosa is "They symbol of darkness and death" and here we have a being known as 'The Dark' that wishes to kill everything and everyone...

Yes the Dark is absurdly more powerful than any god or AI in the game.
That's the point.
The Old Ones were supposed to be like that.
After all, the last time it took the combined might of dozens of pantheons of gods, with scores of races acting as a skirmish screen simply bind them... and the 'good guys' still took catastrophic losses (like 90% or something?)
And even then after beating them up they couldn't even kill them...
Sounds like the right power level for The Dark to me :bandit:

And for extra spice we can even use the Eastern Territories book to help support this if we want to spin out a justification.
After all the Tree of Wisdom is situated over the earthly seals binding Netosa.
Now at first it was able to survive on the ambient PPE of the world. But then around 70,000 years ago or so the magical energy levels in the PF world dropped and it started feeding off of the corrupted energies leaking out of the wards.
(This is all canon)
okay let the spin begin
what if that is when it disrupted, even slightly, the delicate balance of those wards and allowed Netosa aka The Dark to then start worming a link back out into the Megaverse.
That link might take fifty or sixty thousand years to set up... and might need a super powerful sorcerer king performing a ritual looking for a source of power to finish 'punching through' to it...
...but that could allow Moloch to connect to The Dark.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SolCannibal
Champion

eliakon wrote:And for extra spice we can even use the Eastern Territories book to help support this if we want to spin out a justification.
After all the Tree of Wisdom is situated over the earthly seals binding Netosa.
Now at first it was able to survive on the ambient PPE of the world. But then around 70,000 years ago or so the magical energy levels in the PF world dropped and it started feeding off of the corrupted energies leaking out of the wards.
(This is all canon)
okay let the spin begin
what if that is when it disrupted, even slightly, the delicate balance of those wards and allowed Netosa aka The Dark to then start worming a link back out into the Megaverse.
That link might take fifty or sixty thousand years to set up... and might need a super powerful sorcerer king performing a ritual looking for a source of power to finish 'punching through' to it...
...but that could allow Moloch to connect to The Dark.

That actually makes a bunch of sense, specially considering how the Nightlands and its natives seem connected to the Astral Plane, that is basically the go-to place for psychic/dreaming/slumbering entities, thoughts, desires, fears and phobias given form along with other such mental/emotional phenomena.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

I prefer connectig Abzu/Apsu to the Dark than an Old One, as the Dark seems far too active to be an Old One to me. In either case you could say the Mirror Moloch has combined with allthe deaths in WW1 helped it stir, and redirecting some of the death energies from WW2 helped stir it again, leading to Dark Day....
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
SolCannibal
Champion

Sir_Spirit wrote:I prefer connectig Abzu/Apsu to the Dark than an Old One, as the Dark seems far too active to be an Old One to me.

My choice mostly too, as i tend to prefer not to treat the Old Ones as the only go-to guys when it comes to top tier alien forces of cosmic evil and such. That and the fact so much of the naming patterns of the Nightlords seeming to fit so well with such a connection, obviously.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Theories also exist it might be Netosa or Erva
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

The second thread you link to doesn't mention an Erva.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Eliakon wrote "I would suspect that the Dark is Netosa mor Erva myself."

Return to “Nightbane®”